Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game made you give up on Bioware?

The game that made me quit Bioware forever was...

• Total voters

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
ME2, when they went full retard and turned half-assed space opera into popamole cover shooter with gay romansu simulator.

Deathsquid

Learned
Dragon Age: Origins, cultist village. I said fuck it, BG1 expansion did this better, uninstalled, played that instead.

McPlusle

Savant
Dragon Age II, by miles. I've yet to play the first Dragon Age, but I really enjoyed the first two Mass Effects as RPG-lite shooters. I completely understand the hate they get, though.

Master

Arbiter
Well I tried it for 15 minutes, and yes the game is attempted murder. Enemies explode when I kill them like vampires from From Dusk Til Dawn. And combat in general looks like I'm playing Batman Arkham Asylum. What the fuck Bioware? The graphics are nice though.

Durian Eater

Learned
As a cathartic "ruin the lives of these insufferable shits" simulator, DA2 is fairly entertaining. It was also the last Bioware game where you were allowed to think outside the hugbox, and even a little C&C is a passable substitute for good writing. Without it, e.g. DA:I and ME:A, it becomes too obvious that you're slogging through some unimaginative writer's fanfiction-quality shit.

Krivol

Magister
As a cathartic "ruin the lives of these insufferable shits" simulator, DA2 is fairly entertaining. It was also the last Bioware game where you were allowed to think outside the hugbox, and even a little C&C is a passable substitute for good writing. Without it, e.g. DA:I and ME:A, it becomes too obvious that you're slogging through some unimaginative writer's fanfiction-quality shit.

Sup Konjad!

raesha

Educated
Whats wrong with DA2?(downloading it right now) It cant be that bad.
Even on the off chance you're into that whole mass effect nonsense they tried to pump into the story delivery, the game is just unfinished on a technical level. Extreme re-use of locations. Contrived encounter design that hinges upon enemies spawning in waves right in front of your camera view out of thin air. It's the result of EA trying to get bioware to put out an RPG in only one year, give or take. It should have been in development for at least another year, at minimum.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Imoen's cringy JRPG personality in the starting dungeon of Baldur's Gate II made me give up on BioWare, but I've heard it's a pretty good RPG so I guess I'll have to plow through it...

McPlusle

Savant
Imoen's cringy JRPG personality in the starting dungeon of Baldur's Gate II made me give up on BioWare, but I've heard it's a pretty good RPG so I guess I'll have to plow through it...
I don't know how Imoen's personality in BG2 is cringy or JRPG in the slightest but if it helps you sleep at night she's not gonna be with you much longer.

Theldaran

Liturgist

Look, if you don't stand Imoen like many of us, just ditch her and choose other characters, or go solo if you dare. That's a very poor reason to ditch the game.

At least BG2 Imoen was better than BG1 one.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Aerie is a goddamn hell of a caster if you care to stand her bullshit. Just skip the shitty romance and you're mostly good.

It's true that Imoen's personality is a lot "bubblegummy", like Japanese high schoolers, but after some torture, it gets better. In fact, I found her to lack ANY personality in BG2.

Master

Arbiter
Even on the off chance you're into that whole mass effect nonsense they tried to pump into the story delivery, the game is just unfinished on a technical level. Extreme re-use of locations. Contrived encounter design that hinges upon enemies spawning in waves right in front of your camera view out of thin air. It's the result of EA trying to get bioware to put out an RPG in only one year, give or take. It should have been in development for at least another year, at minimum.
All right, im giving up.:salute:

Well, they got more time with Dragon Age Inquisition, and that just went swimmingly for them.

You look at stuff like Inquisition and Andromeda and it seems like with more time BioWare just spins its wheels on features and ideas they eventually drop anyways. I'm not really sure what they fix with another year anyways. I doubt it's the combat, which is the whole driving force of that game. Maybe all the dungeons aren't the same handful of locations but with a rock blocking this door and not blocking this other one, but they should have fuckin' known better ways off pulling that shit off than what they did. With another year it's maybe just not as buggy and looks a bit better, and people would be saying it just needed another year anyways because it'd still be shit. Funny thing is the indented focus on a smaller scale story for Dragon Age 2 gave them carte blanch to do something smaller that could have been finished quicker. Instead they went the stupid route and just tried doing Dragon Age Origins but missing features and in one city full of copy and pasted areas...which only serves to call attention to how unfinished and lazy it feels.

Sizzle

Arcane
It's true that Imoen's personality is a lot "bubblegummy", like Japanese high schoolers, but after some torture, it gets better. In fact, I found her to lack ANY personality in BG2.

The original plan was to have her die at Spellhold. They changed this after they realized she's one of the more popular characters.

That's why she's lacking in banters and content compared to most other NPCs.

Delterius

Arcane
Considering how often old BioWare tried to kill Imoen and how their own fanbase kept forcing them to bring her back, is it any surprise that BioWare declined after all?

Theldaran

Liturgist
A darker undertone would have made BG2 even more of a legend. Irenicus could have easily been badder.

Sizzle

Arcane
Nah. BioWare works best when they accentuate the silliness. It's whenever they try to do dramatic and serious stories - that their narratives fall apart.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom