Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game could this be?

Once you complete character you start in a town which is just a 2D image of a town scene (no exploration) (most likely 3D rendered I think) with some shops that you click on. I seem to remember there was a blacksmith to the left which you go into first to buy some basic things and then you click somewhere else to start. Maybe a town hall that gave a quest or something which had bounties for certain enemy types?
I can't remember the combat. It must have had either 1st person dungeon crawler fighting or simple overhead isometric combat (I seem to remember the in-game graphics being much poorer than the character artwork). I'm leaning more towards the latter isometric combat but I really don't remember much about it.
This really sounds like Rage of Mages (2), but the rest doesn't fit.

It's not rage of mages but some of those prerendered scenes are very similar to look at.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've got an adventure game I played one time and can't remember the name of. It was from the late 90's/no later than 2001. Your player character looked like a anthropomorphic hot dog (kind of similar to the Francos from Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey).

He started in an apartment and he could pick up a brush or feather duster, at which point he would say something like "I don't think I've ever picked up a cleaning utensil before" or "I think this is the first time I've picked up a cleaning utensil". Then you could go outside and I remember a pay phone and some double glass doors I couldn't open. I think the game was in 3D, but with fixed perspective.

:Flash:

Arcane
I've got an adventure game I played one time and can't remember the name of. It was from the late 90's/no later than 2001. Your player character looked like a anthropomorphic hot dog (kind of similar to the Francos from Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey).

He started in an apartment and he could pick up a brush or feather duster, at which point he would say something like "I don't think I've ever picked up a cleaning utensil before" or "I think this is the first time I've picked up a cleaning utensil". Then you could go outside and I remember a pay phone and some double glass doors I couldn't open. I think the game was in 3D, but with fixed perspective.
Down in the Dumps?

Borelli

Arcane
An old cRPG i found on HotU a long time ago which i only played for 10 minutes.

Old 2d graphics. Stats are 1-100 and are rolled. I remember my human ranger consistently rolling 90+ in most stats. Combat is turn based with square tiles. The main thing i remember about it however is the game over screen. It was a full screen pixelated picture of a dwarf helping a human to get up.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

Down in the Dumps?
I checked out some screenshots and walkthroughs, but it doesn't ring a bell. Specifically, I don't remember anything about a landfill.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Does anyone remember the name of an obscure Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 rpg, I believe it used a Windows interface, and was probably on some shareware compilation. It could have had something about dwarfs in the story or the title. Compilation possibly was "The Ultimate House of Games for Windows 95" but I can't find the contents of that.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Normality?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Normality?
No. I checked it out on youtube and it does start in an apartment, but it uses 1st person perspective and the protagonist is human instead of a hot-dog/stick with arms and legs.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Normality?
No. I checked it out on youtube and it does start in an apartment, but it uses 1st person perspective and the protagonist is human instead of a hot-dog/stick with arms and legs.

Probably Animal.
Just watched the video (video embedding was disabled and then I forgot about it) and that's it! I didn't really expect anyone to identify it! :salute:

I never even realized it was supposed to be an advertisement for a British meat snack.

In this LP, at 1:38-1:58 he actually finds the feather duster and says "This is the first time I've picked up a cleaner."

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've got another game I can't remember the name of. It's a turn-based strategy game on a hex grid, from the late 80's/early 90's, similar to SSI's Panzer General or Fantasy General. I think there was a campaign where the first mission took place during the invasion of Normandy. I think the units had health bars above.

CootKeeper

Augur
Thread necromancy.

I saw on RPS that Battlezone will (might?) get a sequel eventually. I don't think I played that game younger, but it reminded me a lot of a game I played before, that looked pretty much identical.

It had the same fake 3D space, where you were a tank. On later levels you fought tanks in the shape of a pyramid (they were orange or yellow), and on the battlefield you had big undestroyable cubes (I guess they can be pictured as buildings). I played it on a MAC, OS 7, full 256 colours.

Can't remember the name of the game though, I wish I could, but I'm 5000 km from my parents place so I can't plug in the old mac and find out by myself.

fastjack

Augur
Thread necromancy.

I saw on RPS that Battlezone will (might?) get a sequel eventually. I don't think I played that game younger, but it reminded me a lot of a game I played before, that looked pretty much identical.

It had the same fake 3D space, where you were a tank. On later levels you fought tanks in the shape of a pyramid (they were orange or yellow), and on the battlefield you had big undestroyable cubes (I guess they can be pictured as buildings). I played it on a MAC, OS 7, full 256 colours.

Can't remember the name of the game though, I wish I could, but I'm 5000 km from my parents place so I can't plug in the old mac and find out by myself.

was it Spectre/Specter?

I have two.

First one i remember a lot better. It was a horror game for pc, i remember playing it around the same time i played duke nukem 3d:s shareware. Camera was first person, it was inside a house in the middle of the night since it was dark. There were lots of paintings and i remember a writing machine, i think it started writing by itself when you approached it.

Ill be amazed if anyone figures out the second game. It was my first time seeing a video game ever. I think it was somewhere early 90s. maybe 93-94. It was on either on PC or maybe Mac, most likely PC. It was set in future or present. It was inside a skyscraper or tall building with big windows, i think it was first person game and i remember that the enemies looked somewhat "blocky" and bulky, i remember that they werent able to follow you very far and that there was some sort of inventory system. Thats about all i can remember about it.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I have two.

First one i remember a lot better. It was a horror game for pc, i remember playing it around the same time i played duke nukem 3d:s shareware. Camera was first person, it was inside a house in the middle of the night since it was dark. There were lots of paintings and i remember a writing machine, i think it started writing by itself when you approached it.

Ill be amazed if anyone figures out the second game. It was my first time seeing a video game ever. I think it was somewhere early 90s. maybe 93-94. It was on either on PC or maybe Mac, most likely PC. It was set in future or present. It was inside a skyscraper or tall building with big windows, i think it was first person game and i remember that the enemies looked somewhat "blocky" and bulky, i remember that they werent able to follow you very far and that there was some sort of inventory system. Thats about all i can remember about it.

First one sounds like Realms of the Haunting. http://youtu.be/xsXwqu3nYUc?t=13m50s

Second one could be Operation Body Count. This lousy FPS takes place in (and under...) one tall building, it doesn't have an inventory though. Or maybe you played Lethal Tender or another Pie in the Sky engine game: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/3d-engine-pie-in-the-sky

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
I have one I can't find. It was an RPG or adventure game of some sort where you needed spell components to cast spells. I seem to remember starting in a city/town, medieval setting, and I always died in the first or second wilderness area. I think there were separate combat and exploration screens. Early nineties I suspect.

It's not Ultima and it's not that mage game where you jump back and forth between the real world and a fantasy world and visit stonehenge etc.

First one sounds like Realms of the Haunting. http://youtu.be/xsXwqu3nYUc?t=13m50s

Second one could be Operation Body Count. This lousy FPS takes place in (and under...) one tall building, it doesn't have an inventory though. Or maybe you played Lethal Tender or another Pie in the Sky engine game: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/3d-engine-pie-in-the-sky

Realms of the Haunting was correct, nice! Ive been looking it for a while. Thanks.

Second one i forgot to mention didnt have human enemies, at least from what i saw, didnt look like any of those games.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
In the late 90's, I downloaded a Mac OS 7 shareware game from tucows that I have never been able to identify. I was pretty young at the time, so my recollection is suspect, but it looked like a really rudimentary tech demo for a Daggerfall-style first-person 3D rpg. The entire gameworld was a gated red-brick town that there didn't seem to be any way to escape, and the town was entirely populated with naked, featureless NPC paperdolls that aimlessly walked around with a deep red sky. I don't think you could interact with them (or anything). I don't think it was 'full' 3D, it could have been a Wolf3D rip-off.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
:necro:

I've thought of another game whose name I forgot. It's a combat flight simulator from around 1996-2000. The only distinguishing feature that I remember is that the player could choose between multiple fighter jets by clicking them on an aircraft carrier view from a top down perspective.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've thought of another game whose name I forgot. It's a combat flight simulator from around 1996-2000. The only distinguishing feature that I remember is that the player could choose between multiple fighter jets by clicking them on an aircraft carrier view from a top down perspective.
Found it: it was U.S. Navy Fighter (1994), published by EA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom