Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game could this be?

TigerKnee

Arcane
Is this "Magic of Endoria" any good? Always looking for new strategy games to try.

:Flash:

Arcane
Is this "Magic of Endoria" any good? Always looking for new strategy games to try.
The game got pretty positive reviews in Germany, but it's not easy to get into, especially with the lack of tooltips and completely strange and inexpressive icons. It's basically "read the manual, or you don't know what the heck you're doing".

Last edited:

Arcane
Alright Codexers, let's test your knowledge: I'm looking for the name of a game I no longer remember. I believe it was one of these shareware titles done in the 90s. It was a turn-based rpg, a sequel of a traditional fantasy game (with knights, magic and other shit, the protagonist being a knight himself), while in the sequel it takes a few sci-fi elements such as travelling to another planet, or using an energy cannon along with swords and melee weapons. I don't remember anything from the plot of the sequel, but it involved you having to cross a secret passage hidden behind a clock, to pass a maze to go... Somewhere. Any ideas?
I'm pretty sure it's not the game you're looking for, but Excelsior Phase one and Two came to my mind.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Codex: Where less then 3 hours after asking, somebody is guaranteed to know that obscure game you vaguely remember based on your description from playing it that one time.
Much more useful than twitter and a shoutbox, too!

I have a game too:
It's an RPG probably from the late 90s
I have only played the demo, which was part of some kind of collection.
It was isometric.
You could kill everyone.
Every item you saw existed, i.e. if there was a guard in a full plate armor and a sword, if you killed it it dropped a full plate armor and a sword (amonst other things).
You could do all the standard stuff too: Pickpocket, hurl magic do quests.
I remember that I may have read a review about the game much much later and the review was not so good. I might be confusing this with another game though.
It was a SP game or at least it had an SP mode
It's not one of the "big names"

Last edited:

Borelli

Arcane
A FMV game that i played on a demo loooong time ago. Like 1998 or earlier. Medievalish era. First person brawler, no i'm not kidding. The only thing i remember was clicking buttons and then my character first person wrestled the enemy to death. All in glorious FMV. I don't think this game was actually good but for curiosity's sake i want to remember the name.
Sounds like Supreme Warrior, only the setting wasn't medieval but "old" China (or some oriental fantasy land).
Very similar to this but the game wasn't in oriental setting.

Arcane
The Codex: Where less then 3 hours after asking, somebody is guaranteed to know that obscure game you vaguely remember based on your description from playing it that one time.
Much more useful than twitter and a shoutbox, too!

I have a game too:
It's an RPG probably from the late 90s
I have only played the demo, which was part of some kind of collection.
It was isometric.
You could kill everyone.
Every item you saw existed, i.e. if there was a guard in a full plate armor and a sword, if you killed it it dropped a full plate armor and a sword (amonst other things).
You could do all the standard stuff too: Pickpocket, hurl magic do quests.
I remember that I may have read a review about the game much much later and the review was not so good. I might be confusing this with another game though.
It was a SP game or at least it had an SP mode
It's not one of the "big names"
Siege of Avalon or The Broken Land?

TigerKnee

Arcane
The game got pretty positive reviews in Germany, but it's not easy to get into, especially with the lack of tooltips and completely strange and inexpressive icons. It's basically "read the manual, or you don't know what the heck you're doing".
Well I think I'm running into a problem that I don't think there was an English version of this game...? Unfortunately I'm not Rancian enough to be able to read German.

Also I can't get the C64 version to run in VICE. Oh well.

Borelli

Arcane
Two more games from me.

Both of them i played a looooong time ago on Amiga, but they probably got released for other platforms(then maybe not, i was like 10 then).

First one is a 2d action side scroller. Setting was ala Rambo. Main character was basically Rambo. Sprites were very big. The main thing i remember about it was that you could climb upper floor without the use of ladder (your character jumps on the ceiling and goes through it in 2d plane).

Second one was also an 2d action side scroller. Modern setting but not Ramboish. Much smaller sprites. It was not a game where you constantly advanced to the right but you would often climb ladders and use elevators. You could also enter doors but that would only spawn a single picture with a description.

mck

Cipher
I'm looking for an old Myst stye adventure game made between 1994-1999. I don't remember much of anything from it other than one of the first few screens was an attic with a hanging bulb like this. I checked out all of the games in crooked bee's Myst-like thread and none of those seemed to be it. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I've been trying to find this game for ages.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm looking for an old Myst stye adventure game made between 1994-1999. I don't remember much of anything from it other than one of the first few screens was an attic with a hanging bulb like this. I checked out all of the games in crooked bee's Myst-like thread and none of those seemed to be it. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I've been trying to find this game for ages.
did it have pre-rendered graphics?

mck

Cipher
Amber : Journeys Beyond ?
I watched some gameplay footage and I don't think this is it. I might still check it out sometime though, looks p cool.

did it have pre-rendered graphics?

yes.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
amerzone?

or maybe dracula: resurrection

lightbane

Arcane
Second one was also an 2d action side scroller. Modern setting but not Ramboish. Much smaller sprites. It was not a game where you constantly advanced to the right but you would often climb ladders and use elevators. You could also enter doors but that would only spawn a single picture with a description.

Reminds me of Elevator Action 2, but your description is a bit vague.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
First one is a 2d action side scroller. Setting was ala Rambo. Main character was basically Rambo. Sprites were very big. The main thing i remember about it was that you could climb upper floor without the use of ladder (your character jumps on the ceiling and goes through it in 2d plane).

Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja?

Borelli

Arcane

Reminds me of Elevator Action 2, but your description is a bit vague.
I admit my memories are very fuzzy about the game, i googled Elevator Action 2 and i got this,
elevator_action_returns.gif

Not the game in question but seeing those doors flares up some old memories, also wiki says that none of the Elevator Action games got released for Amiga which drops this candidate.

Servo

Arcane
sea I don't suppose you're thinking of the Jungle Book game on Sega Genesis.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Two more games from me.

Both of them i played a looooong time ago on Amiga, but they probably got released for other platforms(then maybe not, i was like 10 then).

Maybe Green Beret ? Sprites are not that big though.

Okay, I have a game. The information is sparse though.

I played only a demo of this game and briefly - I don't know if the game itself is any good but what I do remember is that it had very nice portrait artwork.

The details I remember:
It was an RPG, probably low budget but I think it must have had a decent budget for art at least. It was a typical medieval fantasy setting. I don't remember an intro story or anything like that. From memory it went straight from "new game/create character" to the opening town screen (described below). I would guess I played it around 1999-2001 but I wouldn't be certain about that
You start out at the character creation screen and select from a bunch of typical races including things like humans, elves, but also giants/half giants. I seem to remember attribute allocations but I also remember some of the race or class selections being restricted from playing as it was just a demo.

The character artwork was very well done, somewhat similar to Icewind Dale but a bit grotesque in appearance. This is the only thing about the game that grabbed me. It has been a long time and I might be romanticising it a bit but I seem to remember art like this but possibly with darker lighting:

026_VAN3.jpg

I believe the interface art during character creation was relatively nice and elaborate also. I seem to remember colours of brown, red and gold if that helps at all

Once you complete character you start in a town which is just a 2D image of a town scene (no exploration) (most likely 3D rendered I think) with some shops that you click on. I seem to remember there was a blacksmith to the left which you go into first to buy some basic things and then you click somewhere else to start. Maybe a town hall that gave a quest or something which had bounties for certain enemy types?
I can't remember the combat. It must have had either 1st person dungeon crawler fighting or simple overhead isometric combat (I seem to remember the in-game graphics being much poorer than the character artwork). I'm leaning more towards the latter isometric combat but I really don't remember much about it.

That's about all I can remember for now.

Palikka

Arcane
1. I'm looking for a jRPG for the PS1. In the game there was a small village and in the village there was a tower. The idea was to go to the tower to fight monsters and find treasure. With the treasure one could upgrade all kinds of buildings in the village, for example the town swimming pool and the library and the flower shop etc. When you upgraded the buildings the girls in the village would like you more (and maybe you could date them or something, didnt get that far in the game..). The game also had a kind of pokemon type of system where one could find monsters to fight along side him and you could level them up etc.

2. The second game I'm looking for is a Wild West themed run'n'gun shooter for the arcade. There was three of those I remember playing: The Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa, Sunset Riders and the third one. The third one was very similar to the first two and the only thing I remember from it was that the player one side would play with a cowboy using pistols and the player two would play with an indian throwing tomahawks. (It was not the Blood Bros) Later years I have started to think that maybe the third one wasnt an arcade game at all but a game for Amiga..

TigerKnee

Arcane
1. I'm looking for a jRPG for the PS1. In the game there was a small village and in the village there was a tower. The idea was to go to the tower to fight monsters and find treasure. With the treasure one could upgrade all kinds of buildings in the village, for example the town swimming pool and the library and the flower shop etc. When you upgraded the buildings the girls in the village would like you more (and maybe you could date them or something, didnt get that far in the game..). The game also had a kind of pokemon type of system where one could find monsters to fight along side him and you could level them up etc.
Well, this is easy.

Azure Dreams.

The GBC version is different, btw, if you would like to see a different take on the concept.

Aurelius

Educated
Once you complete character you start in a town which is just a 2D image of a town scene (no exploration) (most likely 3D rendered I think) with some shops that you click on. I seem to remember there was a blacksmith to the left which you go into first to buy some basic things and then you click somewhere else to start. Maybe a town hall that gave a quest or something which had bounties for certain enemy types?
I can't remember the combat. It must have had either 1st person dungeon crawler fighting or simple overhead isometric combat (I seem to remember the in-game graphics being much poorer than the character artwork). I'm leaning more towards the latter isometric combat but I really don't remember much about it.
This really sounds like Rage of Mages (2), but the rest doesn't fit.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Here's one, it's a game that I got in a free/shareware CD early 2000s that came with Dink Smallwood and Betrayal at Krondor, the graphics are kinda shitty top-down with an ms-paint quality to them and the character looks like the black knight from monty python and the holy grail. I don't remember much about the gameplay other than it being some sort of adventure type of thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom