Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game could this be?

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, pretty sure it's Guimo, it's what I'd suggest too.

Fun fact: Guimo is one of the very few games made in Brazil that made relative success outside, especially on Europe. The other one would probably be Outlive and, more recently, Dungeonland on Steam.

What Papo and Yo?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Here's one:

It was a top down (high up) freeroaming mech (iirc) game for either C64 or Amiga 500 (likely Amiga). Similiar looking to Battle Isle. There were small cities and wilderness areas to walk around in at your leisure and encounter enemies that were quite deadly. I think there were some "friendlies" too at certain areas; and probably (though, I really not sure about this) even some dialog and bartering. I played it somewhere in the 90's.

Wizfall

Cipher
Here's one:

It was a top down (high up) freeroaming mech (iirc) game for either C64 or Amiga 500 (likely Amiga). Similiar looking to Battle Isle. There were small cities and wilderness areas to walk around in at your leisure and encounter enemies that were quite deadly. I think there were some "friendlies" too at certain areas; and probably (though, I really not sure about this) even some dialog and bartering. I played it somewhere in the 90's.
Battletech crescent hawk's inception ?
https://www.google.fr/search?q=batt...p2dGcHRtQbFzIFY&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807
Was a great game for the time.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Here's one:

Battletech crescent hawk's inception ?
https://www.google.fr/search?q=battletech crescent hawk's inception&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Ytm9Up2dGcHRtQbFzIFY&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807
Was a great game for the time.

Yes. That's the one. I had much fun with that game.

Wizfall

Cipher
Yea the design was great, same design rules that in Wasteland 1/Ultima 4/5 and even Fallout 1/2 : open map, open town, free exploration to find location/companion/mech, customisation of your mech, character skills....
You really go to adventure....in 1988
Of course everything is simplified and the map is very small (but as a kid it seems huge for me).
Can't understand we don't have modernized game (bigger, more complex) like this.
Now it's corridor design.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The sports game sounds a lot like the Mutant League games - there was a football and hockey one. They both stem from Cyberball, which is still very playable. You can find a whole host of games with that style here.

I'd imagine the preview on the Red Alert CD was for Lands of Lore II, since they're around the same timeline.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I got one too

It's really vague. I remember watching the trailer from the RedAlert CD. Creepy music, the camera was roaming around a tower (?), everything looked green, I think you could hear shrieks from monsters, the game looked made in fake 3D (?), and at the end of the trailer the title appeared in red letters (3 or 4 words I think).

I've looked through Westwood games on mobygames, but I can't find it. I've searched for RPGs or Adventure games made in and out of 1995 or 1996, but can't find anything really.

It's possible that it wasn't developed by Westwood, but was released by Virgin Interactive Entertainment, who were Westwood's publisher before EA bought them out.

Also, Red Alert was released in 1997, so you might have to expand your search to include 1997 and 1998.

EDIT: If it's a demo for Lands of Lore 2, then checking that on YouTube is no problem, they have several "preview" trailers for it over there.

Borelli

Arcane
Here are my candidates and all i remember from them.

A game that was gameplay-wise the same as pong but instead of ball you play with a decapitated still bleeding human head and the vertical lines are replaced with guys with bladed weapons. Several types of them. I found it on HotU but i can't remember the name. Despite the gore it was more comical than serious.

A FMV game that i played on a demo loooong time ago. Like 1998 or earlier. Medievalish era. First person brawler, no i'm not kidding. The only thing i remember was clicking buttons and then my character first person wrestled the enemy to death. All in glorious FMV. I don't think this game was actually good but for curiosity's sake i want to remember the name.

A RTS, probably 1998 or earlier. Science fiction. Humans vs aliens. 2d graphics. Perspective was somewhat topdown-ish in a sense that you could see unit's head,shoulders and chest if he was turned south(like in Warcraft). To train units you would send a guy in a building at which point the roof would be transparent and you could move him inside the building and choose what to train him into. In the demo you had several heroes one of which had a command whose sign was a mouth or a lips which you could use to train some random neutral guys in robes to be your soldiers/workers.
Aliens were sorta purplish/mars attacks the movie design.

lightbane

Arcane
Here are my candidates and all i remember from them.

A RTS, probably 1998 or earlier. Science fiction. Humans vs aliens. 2d graphics. Perspective was somewhat topdown-ish in a sense that you could see unit's head,shoulders and chest if he was turned south(like in Warcraft). To train units you would send a guy in a building at which point the roof would be transparent and you could move him inside the building and choose what to train him into. In the demo you had several heroes one of which had a command whose sign was a mouth or a lips which you could use to train some random neutral guys in robes to be your soldiers/workers.
Aliens were sorta purplish/mars attacks the movie design.

Sounds like Warwind 2: http://www.old-games.com/download/5684/war-wind-ii-human-onslaught

:Flash:

Arcane
A game that was gameplay-wise the same as pong but instead of ball you play with a decapitated still bleeding human head and the vertical lines are replaced with guys with bladed weapons. Several types of them. I found it on HotU but i can't remember the name. Despite the gore it was more comical than serious.
Noggin Knockers 1 or 2
That wasn't too difficult, googling pong on one of those HotU followup sites.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It was a side-scrolling platform game where the first level was set in a forest with lots of tree houses and walkways.
Guimo?
lDEDFvP.png
Damn, that might be it. It looks a lot closer to what was in my mind. I'll take a look at it. The only thing that seems out of place is the weaponry, but it was a pretty long time ago.

I got one too

It's really vague. I remember watching the trailer from the RedAlert CD. Creepy music, the camera was roaming around a tower (?), everything looked green, I think you could hear shrieks from monsters, the game looked made in fake 3D (?), and at the end of the trailer the title appeared in red letters (3 or 4 words I think).

I've looked through Westwood games on mobygames, but I can't find it. I've searched for RPGs or Adventure games made in and out of 1995 or 1996, but can't find anything really.

I have that CD and remember watching the trailers on it several times. I'm 99% sure it's either Lands of Lore 2.

Damn, that is still a great trailer to this day.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here is a question.

It was a game for Atari, where you would be a policemen and you had to catch a thief.
On the same platform there was a game where you needed to avoid some sort of witches.
Another one was probably for Commodore 64, don't remember exactly, where you had to move up and send letters/messages.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish I could participate in this thread, but the only game I remember not remembering (heh) is Ultizurk, and we know how that ended up. :)

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
I love this kind of threads. Be it about music, movies or games, they are awesome! Here's my question.

This was not a game or a demo that I played, but a trailer for a game that I watched from one of those CDs that came with computer magazines in the middle of the 90's. The game was some kind of awful looking and forgettable Myst clone, but what I found most hilarious about it was:
  • The music used on the trailer was that 90's dance megahit Think about the way from Ice MC.
  • A great deal of the video time was used by some slides boasting about the time and resources spent producing the game (hours of programming, of testing, of recording sound, etc)
  • The graphics were in 3D, maybe pre-rendered, but I remember that some creatures that appeared on the game had some incredibly badly-done animation.
I'm not interested in playing the game, but I found the trailer memorable (in an amusing way) and as I don't remember the name of the game, maybe some Codexer watched the video too and knows about it?

zwanzig_zwoelf

I can neither remember the name of one game nor what was the game itself (the genre, platform, whatever).
However, I remember a small bit of the tune that played in the main menu.
It sounded like: D D E E F F G E
I can try to recreate this theme from my memory, but that will be a little bit later.
If anyone recalls something with a theme like this, I'll be grateful.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
A FMV game that i played on a demo loooong time ago. Like 1998 or earlier. Medievalish era. First person brawler, no i'm not kidding. The only thing i remember was clicking buttons and then my character first person wrestled the enemy to death. All in glorious FMV. I don't think this game was actually good but for curiosity's sake i want to remember the name.
Sounds like Supreme Warrior, only the setting wasn't medieval but "old" China (or some oriental fantasy land).

CootKeeper

Augur
thanks Unkillable Cat sea

watching a couple LoL trailers made me think this is it. I remember that skeleton reassembling and those round water ponds. gotta give it a go!

lightbane

Arcane
Alright Codexers, let's test your knowledge: I'm looking for the name of a game I no longer remember. I believe it was one of these shareware titles done in the 90s. It was a turn-based rpg, a sequel of a traditional fantasy game (with knights, magic and other shit, the protagonist being a knight himself), while in the sequel it takes a few sci-fi elements such as travelling to another planet, or using an energy cannon along with swords and melee weapons. I don't remember anything from the plot of the sequel, but it involved you having to cross a secret passage hidden behind a clock, to pass a maze to go... Somewhere. Any ideas?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Alright Codexers, let's test your knowledge: I'm looking for the name of a game I no longer remember. I believe it was one of these shareware titles done in the 90s. It was a turn-based rpg, a sequel of a traditional fantasy game (with knights, magic and other shit, the protagonist being a knight himself), while in the sequel it takes a few sci-fi elements such as travelling to another planet, or using an energy cannon along with swords and melee weapons. I don't remember anything from the plot of the sequel, but it involved you having to cross a secret passage hidden behind a clock, to pass a maze to go... Somewhere. Any ideas?

there was some resident evil where you had to enter a number on a clock to discover a passage behind it if i remember correctly, but that's obviously not it. You also reminded me of the "Clock Tower" series, which was actually p. good.

anyway, could it be Albion?

lightbane

Arcane
I don't think so. Graphics were way more primitive "classic", characters were little sprites moving around in a map rather than true 3d. In addition, to activate said secret passage you had to utter a password to open it. In fact, I believe the game used that annoying curious dialogue system in which you write a word and the npc says something about it if appropiate. Lastly, I think the plot started with the king of your planet calling the hero to embark in a mission for some reason, then go to a space-ship and travel to an alien planet, which unfortunately is ruled by a tyrant who quickly imprisons you after arriving here. Thankfully, escaping the prison is quite easy, then you have to join the rebels and do stuff which I no longer remember.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom