Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game could this be?

RealDDc

Learned
I need the combined mind of this forum to figure out this matter! I remember a few fragments of a certain game, no, even worse... just a fractional blink of a game.

Whenever these snapshots of the game cross my mind I am absolutely certain that it was the grandest game ever. Must been about 15 years or even more that I've played this game... uhmm... I am not even sure if I have played that game, the little I remember about it maybe I only read about it in a gaming magazine, watched someone else playing it or I don't know what. But one thing is certain, it must've been an awesome game and I badly need to figure it out.

The scarce information I remember about the game is as follows,
Maybe the title, maybe part of the title maybe subtitle.. Magic (yes...yes... :roll:)

Something was hexagon shaped, maybe the whole map was build of these, maybe the game controls and buttons, maybe the games logo was designed with hexagons, hmmm... maybe it where pentagons.

Mithril! You had to savage Mithril, to do something with it... probably equipping someone or something with it, likely mithril amour and swords.

The game played underground, and... you dug tunnels?

No I am not trolling, I am absolutely serious about this and hope someone has an idea! If you have an idea what game this could be, please share it with me.

sser

Arcane
Developer
What kind of game was it?

When I think of fantastical games with magic and underground areas, I think of Armies of Exigo. But there's no hexagons or pentagons in that game.

RealDDc

Learned
What kind of game was it?
I don't even remember what the objective was. From what I recall it should have strategically aspects, but I have no idea whether you had the control over one unit or a team, maybe you've build up some sort of base but that few partially pictures I remember won't allow to tell.

I had a look upon Armies of Exigo, that ain't it. The game looks a lot more "serious" or real to what is crossing my mind.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This seems fit many of your clues.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/magic-of-endoria

ArDhRW9.png

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The Codex: Where less then 3 hours after asking, somebody is guaranteed to know that obscure game you vaguely remember based on your description from playing it that one time.

:Flash:

Arcane
Only on the Codex can you think "Hey, that sounds like Magic of Endoria" when reading the OP, only to find that five posts later someone already posted the answer.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Only on the Codex can you think "Hey, that sounds like Magic of Endoria" when reading the OP, only to find that five posts later someone already posted the answer.

We had TONS of these threads on HotU, remember? And a fairly high rate of success as well. We also had screenshot quizzes to keep people "trained". :)

But today we only have the Codex...

:Flash:

Arcane

We had TONS of these threads on HotU, remember? And a fairly high rate of success as well. We also had screenshot quizzes to keep people "trained". :)

But today we only have the Codex...
Yeah, in fact I'm pretty sure Magic of Endoria came up in one of these threads on HotU. This game sort of follows me around. The full version was on one of the first gaming mags I ever bought, at a time when full version being bundled with gaming mags was unheard of.
I could not get it to run, because it was quite picky with the dos configuration, and I had no idea of how this dos stuff worked. By the time my Dos skills had evolved enough to get it to run, I had played other stuff and considered it lame.

Should we test the Codex with an oldschool screenshot quiz?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
As long as it isn't like that Monkey Island quiz where the screencap was with the Spanish EGA version... :)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The Codex: Where less then 3 hours after asking, somebody is guaranteed to know that obscure game you vaguely remember based on your description from playing it that one time.
I've got one.

I played the demo of this game as a kid on my dad's work laptop. It was a side-scrolling platform game where the first level was set in a forest with lots of tree houses and walkways. Level design was quite vertical and fairly open. I remember the main character was vaguely Rayman-like in that he was humanoid but the game did not go for a realistic art style at all. I played it around 1994-1996 and I remember the visuals being fairly good for its time, typical low-res 2D art but with solid animation and style.

I've searched Abandonia and other old game databases but have not been able to find any record of this game.

handup

Educated
Me next

It was a very violent sports game, probably handball. At the end of the game one of the statistics was killed players, the ball was on fire and you could use it to kill people by bashing them over the head with it. The ring looked much like a hockey ring, with walls for the ball to bounce off of. And the team was comprised of shirtless black men. I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it was 3d, probably shitty 3d. I think I played it in the early 2000s but I might be mistaken.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Well, Lomax did have a demo, so that's one thing going for it.

But similar to that? I'm coming up empty at the moment.

Wizfall

Cipher
Me next

It was a very violent sports game, probably handball. At the end of the game one of the statistics was killed players, the ball was on fire and you could use it to kill people by bashing them over the head with it. The ring looked much like a hockey ring, with walls for the ball to bounce off of. And the team was comprised of shirtless black men. I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it was 3d, probably shitty 3d. I think I played it in the early 2000s but I might be mistaken.
Speedball 2 ?
Its much older unless you are talking of the remake that i have not tried (got bad critics)
https://www.google.fr/search?q=spee...jJMHTswasiYCYCA&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807

xilo3z

Educated
Me next

Yeah to follow up Wizfall, it definitely sounds like you're talking about SpeedBall 2100. Early 2000, shitty early 3D, etc. If not that, and a tad more modern, in 2001 was a game called Deathrow that was a "Speedball re envisioned".

Sadly the new SpeedBall 2 HD on PC that was just released is simply the iOS Speedball port :( Yes, PC is getting IPAD ports...

handup

Educated
Hm, I kinda remember it being a bit gorrier than the screenshots (I haven't even seen any blood in them). Plus, I only ever had pc and I've never used any emulators (would like to mention that I got the game from a seedy hungarian merchant. The game was fixed perspective (So it couldn't have been the remake) and 3d (so it couldn't have been the original), plus I don't remeber the silly costumes. I dunno, I'm checking it out, maybe I played both and combining the memories or something.

Thanks for the tip, anyway.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Me next

:what:

ITZ: the Game?

It's probably speedball btw. I remember watching the movie as kid so it's probably a movie cash grab.

CootKeeper

Augur
I got one too

It's really vague. I remember watching the trailer from the RedAlert CD. Creepy music, the camera was roaming around a tower (?), everything looked green, I think you could hear shrieks from monsters, the game looked made in fake 3D (?), and at the end of the trailer the title appeared in red letters (3 or 4 words I think).

I've looked through Westwood games on mobygames, but I can't find it. I've searched for RPGs or Adventure games made in and out of 1995 or 1996, but can't find anything really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom