Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Which Final Fantasies do you think are actually decent?

Good Final Fantasy Games?

• Final Fantasy

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Final Fantasy 2

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Final Fantasy 3

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • Final Fantasy 4

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • Final Fantasy 6

Votes: 80 58.0%
  • Final Fantasy 7(kc)

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus(KC)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Final Fantasy 8

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Final Fantasy 9

Votes: 51 37.0%
  • Final Fantasy 10(KC)

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Final Fantasy 11

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Final Fantasy 12

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Final Fantasy 13(KC)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Final Fantasy 14: The Failed Online Abortion

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • None

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • All of them (KC)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Kill yourself Weeb

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • Final Fantasy 5

Votes: 42 30.4%
  • Tactics (1,2,etc.)

Votes: 62 44.9%

• Total voters

Sòren

Arcane
9, 12 and tactics are probably the best.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If you turned off Gambits entirely, you could actually play it like a classic Final Fantasy, pausing the game every time you wanted to take an action, or put the game on active and let enemies wail on you while you choose from the menus. And get owned in the process.
I disagree, a game which requests the next action of each character who finished his/her previous one, in real-time or not (which I like) is different from an "automatic" real-time game with the option to pause the game to assign actions (which I generally don't like) ; stating you can play Baldur's Gate like a turn-based game is convoluted.

EDIT : Thinking about it "turn-based game" is too vague, a better example would be to say that Baldur's Gate can be played like Grandia, which is actually not a classic turn-based game, and I consider that this idea is convoluted.

Last edited:
FF12 would probably be the 2nd best after 6 if it wasn't for Van and Penelo...who weren't even supposed to be in the game but Marketing demanded it. Balthier, Basche and Fran were all ballers

Nahel

Arcane
I will never get the love for FF12. It was like playing an offlane MMO. Story was shit, characters were shit and combat was grinding and boring, which is whey they put gambits. Even the so called exploration is boring. But i guess it not a corridor like the following one.

I don't think it was more or less grindy than any others. I liked that I could see enemies on the map, and required different strategies than the previous games. Story wasn't great but at least it was significantly less exposition heavy than 7-10 at that point.

Max Stats

Liturgist
I will never get the love for FF12.

I don't get it either, I just found it fun after I gave it a chance. I'd take 4 or 6 over it any day of the week, but you can only replay those so many times.

Gambits are pretty bad, if actual important combat starts I can invariably manually command all the party members faster than the gambits trigger. If they weren't laggy and if they weren't doled out as prizes but instead all available immediately, they might actually be useful. As is, they're only good if you're grinding and want to turn your brain off.

Nahel

Arcane
I don't get it either, I just found it fun after I gave it a chance. I'd take 4 or 6 over it any day of the week, but you can only replay those so many times.

Gambits are pretty bad, if actual important combat starts I can invariably manually command all the party members faster than the gambits trigger. If they weren't laggy and if they weren't doled out as prizes but instead all available immediately, they might actually be useful. As is, they're only good if you're grinding and want to turn your brain off.

Yep that was the most annoying part. So not only i have to watch the game playing itself since grinding is necessary, I don't even have all the options to make it efficient.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Gameplay mechanics aside, Final Fantasy died when they started insisting on every character being a teenaged tranny dipshit. (so after 6). The new FF15 cast is the worst yet, who likes this shit and keeps buying it?

Kz3r0

Arcane
FFX2-YRP-final-fantasy-x-x-2-3134088-800-600.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
73813d8315.png

The best Final Fantasy games are Final Fantasy Tactics (which you can now run on ePSXe with a translation patch that vastly improves the original Engrish; definitive edition for sure), Final Fantasy 6 (which is the pinnacle of the 2D Final Fantasies and by far the best "traditional" Final Fantasy), and (throwing a bone to the 3D ones)... it really depends on your tastes, but either 8, 9, or 12. Perhaps all three. The "safest" choice is 9. 8 is unpopular in many circles for various reason; 12 is quite good in some respects, but modern retardation and decline had started to creep into FF by then, and it shows.

7 and 10 are shit, and anyone who defends 7 or says that 7 is superior to 8 is autistic and retarded. Please kill yourselves. 10 is just painfully linear even by the jRPG standards of its time, and pretty gay to boot. 11, 13, 14, and 15 are trash, although in the early 2000s, 11 was a quite respectable Everquest ripoff.

Oh, right. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/A2 are decent gameplay-wise (although arguably inferior to FFT), but their stories, unlike the original FFT, are childish bullshit.

TheSlapper55X

Barely Literate
Just my opinion based on what Ive played:
FF6>FF5>FF4>FF9>FF7>FF8>FFX>FFXII, FFXII could probably rank higher once I finish it but the beginning is such a slog and Vaan is ugh-inducing.

Perkel

Arcane
FFT is rpgcodex level good
FF6 has awesome ost
FF9 is i think crystalization of what FF should be. Huge journey, soso story, shitload of cool fmvs, beautiful world design, jrpg combat but there is something going on so it isn't just repeat, some side content that is interesting.

Outside of those 3 other FFs are hardly good if you look at full package because there are some huge mistakes in each.

FF8 has my favorite setting, world design and early story but story near the end completely falls apart and retroactively shits on everything else.

FF7 midgar disc is fantastic but story from end of it completely falls apart

FF10. Original FF13. Linear corridors everywhere and so on. Aside from maybe 2 character worst cast. But unlike rest of FF games has the best story with ending that isn't straight up shit but rather good.

FF-10-2 This is where square-enix developers started to visit jpop start concerts that would lead to creation of Vanille from FF13 and FF15 boys band voyage

FF12. If game wouldn't be butchered this would be amazing game but alas this is just single player MMO with some story content on top of it with endless battles in endless corridors that tries to confuse you that they are something more than corridors. Gambit system was cool.

FF13. Oh boy. Easily the worst FF game but with few small diamonds in that shit. If you bare 50 hours of linear corridor and cringe worthy story that could be fucking amazing if not for japanese affixation with pop star idols and jrpg writting that could lose to 5 year old kid with crayons then you get yourself into Pulse and realize that game would be so much better if it was done in that form from start, kind of Xenoblade before xenoblade (at least those 20 hours you are in Pulse).

MMORGS i didn't play. I don't plan to ever waste time on those in my life.

FF13-2 Hey i know ! Let's take worst character ever made Sarah and made her protagonist ! And for some unknow reasons Lightingu is now goddes servant !

FF13-3 Matrix can't come soon enough. I can't wait to marry Lighting - producer

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is the best FF. It has the deepest roster and combat and also a great OST.

The best part is that it's a free mobile game and I've only spent $120 on it!

My current party is all 6 star Bartz, Exdeath, Gilgamesh, Luneth, and Refia. They are majestic as fuck.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seriously,

Brave Exvius

Most of the money I spent was wasted on grinding with a bad party, but in the last 4 months, I'd say only $20 was useful. All of the good characters and most of the good items were free for me. FFBE has by far the most strategic combat of any jrpg I've played. Tanking, Buffs, and Debuffs are important along the usual ff fare.

The towns and dungeons are better than all other ff games as well. Lots of secrets and quests. The overall story feels like a hybrid of 4 and 5 and is pedestrian, but is still a nice run of the mill ff story and better than most mobile games.

A good free game model that only requires money if you want to play 10 hours a day. Unfortunately, you might want to! It gives you a lot of ways to throw a dollar or two away and can get out of hand quickly if you're not careful.

Great for nostalgia or big jrpg fans. It is fair for free to play but will try to seduce you into throwing away money.

:4/5: 1/2 out of :5/5:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FF8 is bestest. FF6 is also pretty good. Most of the others FF10 and lower are at least playable and fun. After that.. not so much with the MMO shit and other nonsense. FF15 is...

Alkarl

Learned
7 and 10 are shit, and anyone who defends 7 or says that 7 is superior to 8 is autistic and retarded. Please kill yourselves. 10 is just painfully linear even by the jRPG standards of its time, and pretty gay to boot. 11, 13, 14, and 15 are trash, although in the early 2000s, 11 was a quite respectable Everquest ripoff.

Gonna have to disagree with you here. 7 is vastly superior to 8 in about every way. If Laguna had been the MC of Final Fantasy 8, I could have forgiven a lot, but as it stands, all that 8 has is Triple Triad. Seriously, Square-Enix, where the fuck is our series spanning Triple Triad game? Just call it: Triple Triad: All The Crystal Dissidia Chronicles Bravest. Or whatever sounds better, idk. 7 has the better story, characters, world, villain, gameplay. Just get outta here with that. And if you're gonna bring up any fan theories (all of which have been officially denounced btw, not to mention they aren't supported by fact) then I think we know who's truly autistic. Me, aspergers. Get on my spectrum, bruh.

As far as 12 goes: While I think it was one of the most deficient narrative wise, it did have a lot of cool shit. It felt like a natural evolution on the genre. I would have loved to see where things could have gone had they kept evolving on the ideas, mostly the mechanical and combat ideas, therein. I occasionally consider the combat in Dragons Dogma to be an evolution on that system. Not to mention, that first area where you encounter a t-rex eating wolves. Fucking epic. I spent hours fighting around in between advancing the story in 12. Beautiful set pieces and monster designs. At the time.

10 was garbage. Although I thoroughly enjoyed 10-2, it was like the Charlies Angels of Final Fantasy. The story was mostly worthless, but the gameplay was a somewhat deeper evolution of the gameplay in 5. I also enjoyed 5, so layered, so many things to do, and most of it you have to discover on your own. Good game.

6 just bothers me. I don't like the art, the story is spread a bit too thin, but the music is pretty great. Game tries to do too much, and gets progressively more boring. Oh, you mean the clown guy is the final boss? Are you sure? .. *sigh* Ok.

4 is the narrative masterpiece. At the time, the combat was good, but its dated now. Graphics, IMO, are superior to 6, as are the characters and the more focused main narrative doesn't hurt either. Golbez is one of the best antagonists in the series, hands down. Kefka is a joke, Sephiroth turns out to be a combined figment of Clouds imagination and Jenova being a creepy shapeshifter while hes chilling out taking a subterranean nap. Don't even ask about Ultimecia. 8 would have been better served if they could have found a way to make Adel the final boss. 12 had a final boss .. I think? The main antagonist of 10 was the writing. 1 has Chaos, who is supposedly the first boss or something. 2 was the emperor (Empires baad).

In a series of 15 main line games now, 13 is 4th as far as sales go. :/ I know, it used to hurt me too, then I realized I could just stop mindlessly supporting a product when it decided to no longer serve my interests. Like watching a ship sail off into the distance, knowing you had some good times, but you just can't go where its going now.

9 is the most mediocre. It was like the Bravely Default of its day. Square trying to apologize for doing strange shit in 7 and 8. Only to turn around and do stranger shit in 10 and so on.

3 was good. Well, the translated Japanese version anyway.

But what do I know? I voted for Final Fantasy 2. Akitoshi Kawazu ftw, bitches!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
nah, Exdeath was the best villain, just pure, unfettered evil

Alkarl

Learned
nah, Exdeath was the best villain, just pure, unfettered evil

Shit, how could I forget Ex Death?! You may be right about this. 5 was just a fantastic little game. A little slow at times, sure, but overall, very enjoyable.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" 7 has the better story, characters, world, villain, gameplay."

FUK OF RETART.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom