Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Which Final Fantasies do you think are actually decent?

Good Final Fantasy Games?

• Final Fantasy

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Final Fantasy 2

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Final Fantasy 3

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • Final Fantasy 4

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • Final Fantasy 6

Votes: 80 58.0%
  • Final Fantasy 7(kc)

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus(KC)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Final Fantasy 8

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Final Fantasy 9

Votes: 51 37.0%
  • Final Fantasy 10(KC)

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Final Fantasy 11

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Final Fantasy 12

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Final Fantasy 13(KC)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Final Fantasy 14: The Failed Online Abortion

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • None

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • All of them (KC)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Kill yourself Weeb

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • Final Fantasy 5

Votes: 42 30.4%
  • Tactics (1,2,etc.)

Votes: 62 44.9%

• Total voters

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
What the title says. I think the first one is okay. Worth playing if you've got nothing else to play ATM.

Lemming42

Arcane
Where's FF5?

Anyway, the properly good ones are 4, 6 and 9. The ones that are not quite as good but worth playing are 1, 3, 5.

That leaves 2, which has a really good setting and fun action plot but is shit upon by the bizarre battle mechanics, 7 which has already been dissected thoroughly by everyone for the past 19 years, and 8 which I just didn't really like. Not really qualified to comment on 10 onwards.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tactics is the best
From the numbered ones I played, I like 12 the most.

I wrote this in another thread:

"I don't like RTWP combat too much, but I think this game has the best implementation of this kind of system. You can program and forget about micromanaging the repetitive, boring stuff like buffing and healing conditions, and worry about strategic decisions in combat.

Imagine Baldur's gate 2 without the routine of casting 5+ buffs (with the amount of commands needed) before every single encounter. And you need those buffs almost always in that game.

What hurts the combat is the small party size, 3 members is not enough to have epic battles and interesting party dynamics and replayability. You are going to need always a healer, and a front fighter, so that left you without choice and creativity making the party.

I know you have 4th guest in a lot of moments, but it's not the same.

But I like this game, my favourite in the series after tactics. I don't understand all the hate, and overrating another entries like FF VII."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This
Thread
Every
Year

Make it stop. And, no brainer: Tactics is the best.

Edit: And there's no Tactics 2 you nub. There's the god tier Tactics for PS1 and PSP, then the mediocre Tactics Advance 1 & 2. Tactics Advance is just a spinoff of a spinoff.

Epsilon

Cipher
I only played the fourth and the sixth. When Final Fantasy VII came out, I took a glance at it and decided I'd rather continue playing Fallout and didn't touch any Final Fantasy games after that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
For a series that later became identified as story-driven and mechanics-lite, it's perhaps ironic that the original Final Fantasy is a solid piece of old-school CRPG design that directly borrows quite a lot of its contents from D&D.

AFAIK, the next two games released on the Famicom and Final Fantasy V for the Super Famicom were similar, but since it took three years for the original to be released in America, Squaresoft skipped those next two straight to its first Super Famicom game Final Fantasy IV (released on the SNES as Final Fantasy II) and then for whatever reason also skipped over the fifth game to Final Fantasy VI (released on the SNES as Final Fantasy III). Although the actual II and III are now available in English along with V, I've never bothered to go back and play them, under the assumption there are always better games in my backlog.

Final Fantasy VI is the height of the JRPG subgenre, where its artistic elements --- music, graphics, and story --- more than compensate for any limitations of the mechanics. IV is almost as good as VI, and IX was an intentional throwback to the NES/SNES era, especially IV.

Final Fantasy VII already exemplifies style (or rather what passed for style in the late-'90s) over substance; it's actually the first and only Final Fantasy to have ugly graphics due to making the jump from 2D to (partial) 3D, a rough transition for Squaresoft. The story is a mess, the characters are unlikeable, and the mechanics are a downgrade from the SNES games. VIII managed to greatly improve the graphics and have the story be coherent most of the way through the game (though falling on its face in the end), but the characters were unforgivably bland and uninspired, the series completed its transition from adult characters to adolescent characters, and the mechanics managed to deteriorate further (that horrendous spell-drawing mechanic).

Final Fantasy X improved its mechanics by returning to a turn-based battle system and distinct combat abilities for the PCs, and it had a far more interesting story, setting, and characters (albeit with various flaws in all three) than VII or VIII. However, it also took an even more cinematic approach than the last few entries, adopted a linear progression through almost the entire game, and had voice-acting :argh:.

Final Fantasy XII tried to be a single-player MMO, where you watched the characters engage in combat according to all-too-simplistic "gambits" you had set up using a simple series of if-then statements, which was no substitute for proper combat. The story and characterization would have been unusually thin even if hadn't been substantially longer than the previous four games in the series; as it is, the second half of the plot --- two-thirds of the game in duration --- is glacially slow. Final Fantasy XIII adopted a different approach to combat with the same effect of almost completely eradicating player input. The characters and story manage to be worse than in any previous FF, the linearity has reached a point where you spend the entire game running down a tunnel, and it doesn't even have any good music. As I've said before, if FF XIII counts as an RPG, then it's the worst RPG I've ever played to completion.

Despite everything, I'll probably buy FF XV within a few months of its release. :negative:

laclongquan

Arcane
8 is the revolutionary. it open the way to teenage schoolage hero. It explore the school setting and give you a flying school which is awesome never seen again.

100% customizable defense and offense weapons.

Utterly different character special ultimate attacks.

The first great FF card game. Anything else is just its pale shadow.

9 is nice in an artsy kinda way but gameplay it's a problem. Especially when it change character's POV without notice.
6 Is finely so-so. The opera song was great but eh, no where near the level of Eyes on me. At least I can remember the 9 song, Small of Two Pieces. Eyes on Me I still can sing.

Hyperion

Arcane
1, 3, 4, 6, 12.

9 was alright, but every character having a giant head and the impossible stupidity from everyone but Vivi kinda killed it.

Tactics shouldn't be mentioned, because it's assumed that it's awesome. Could even consider adding Vagrant Story, it is an Ivalice title after all.

Ash

Arcane
5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, X-2, 12, Tactics, Vagrant Story.

Everything before five was shit, including four. Everything after twelve is also shit. Everything in between (including eight, despite all its dumbassery) are good games.

I haven't played any of these since I was a kid/teen mind you, but they'll always hold a special place in my heart and I want to throttle any ''tard that begs the expert design butcher Square Enix for a remake.

I need to play these games again.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have only played 7, 8, 9 and a bit of 13 (was terrible, managed to force myself to keep pushing for an hour), even less of 10 (little time and better things to play).

That said, 7 by far. The Materia system was fresh and innovative and I regret the devs have not repeated it in other titles.
The setting was awesome and the story epic. Characters better then in any other FF, at least. LOTS of secrets hidden to find/discover/earn, some very nicely overpowered.
Also epic challenges, such as Ruby and Emerald, which really take a lot of work strategy and dedication to beat.

Like said, I haven't played much of X, but 7 handily beats all entries I have played. Kinda liked VIII also, but the Draw system was very inferior to the Materia system, characters were very bland and the story was an ugly mess. 9 was rather meh. Finished it, but wasn't impressed.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Final Fantasy 1 is good but only if you play a version with the D&D style spell system. Having to carefully ration your spells makes it into quite a nice dungeon crawler.

Final Fantasy 2 is also good, but you have to ignore all the "helpful hints" on the internet. Best way to play is to specialize each character in a certain role, and just play the game like normal. All this stuff about making your characters hit each other to gain HPs is just stupid. You don't need to do it, and actually, if you do, it screws up the balance later in the game.

For these two, I recommend playing the PSX version ("Origins") that contains both games, but make sure you set them to play like the original releases of the games.

Final Fantasy 3 is also good, but the class system isn't very fun. It's more like a puzzle game, where each dungeon is designed with certain classes in mind.

Final Fantasy 4 has an excellent soundtrack, some nice graphics, and some very atmospheric dungeons. Sadly it's all wasted on an extremely linear game and some unavoidable grinding at the end.

Everyone knows Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy 6 are great.

Final Fantasy 7 is not bad in hindsight. It's definitely closer to the first 6 games in the series than anything that came after. Not amazing, but I enjoyed it.

After that everything is horrible except Final Fantasy 12 which is a bunch of awesome stuff almost ruined by a horrible main character.

Freddie

Savant
No participating to poll because I have only played FF 7,8 and 12.

FF 7 I recall liked FF 7 for it's variety in environments and missions.

FF 8 I think tried to be too many things. It had some great ideas, train mission, aftermath, some boss fights and some story elements later in campaign, but technology to fully realise these ideas wasn't there on PS1, even finding out what to do and where and in which order was sometimes frustrating, that despite that even world map was huge, there weren't that many memorable locations.

FF 12 Had huge world that was surprisingly well done. Campaign was entertaining but sometimes grindy, decent game and pretty good looking, I think because of art direction.

Max Stats

Liturgist
Final Fantasy 4 has an excellent soundtrack, some nice graphics, and some very atmospheric dungeons. Sadly it's all wasted on an extremely linear game and some unavoidable grinding at the end.

You don't have to grind at the end if you've, 1) kept your levels up throughout the game, 2) don't fight any random battles between healing up at the last save point and reaching the last boss. Yes, you'll take some damage on the way, but running from all the battles will keep the damage level quite manageable with healing items until you get to the end. Least that worked for me on the SNES and PSX versions.

FF 12 Had huge world that was surprisingly well done. Campaign was entertaining but sometimes grindy, decent game and pretty good looking, I think because of art direction.

I hated 12 when I first played the demo that came with DQ8. Then I tried the game itself, found it really dull and annoying and stopped playing after the first area. Last summer (2015, not 2016) I was playing a lot with my PS2 stuff and gave the game another try, and got a lot further in it. Still didn't come close to finishing, but did come to really have a good time despite still having some problems with it. Much better than the crap that FF13 turned out to be. I would look forward to the HD port, if not for it being that Zodiac version, which I did get ahold of as a translated iso and thought had more problems than improvements, particularly how in the early going healing is a big problem, due to the licence layout making the spell not so easily available. I'm sure in the late game it evens out, but screw the late game, making the early game more of a hassle is stupid.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Homoerotic bromance simulator is tempting me should it see a pc release. After playing FF 2-10 and 12, I gave up on jrpgs ever being good in general, as id rather just play a visual novel/read a book than sit through another cutscene delivery system broken up with autocratic menu grinding. 12 was actually slightly fun to play, but the story was so shitty even for a boring politik (read:dune fan) fan that even being able to participate didnt make it worthwhile.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Final Fantasy 6,7,9 and 12 and tactics were the highlights of the series for many. But 7 suffered from a poor translation and 12's plot was a Star Wars rip off. FF 8 is looked back on much more favourably since its release. At the time it was considered a letdown after 7. But with everything that can after 10 with the brief expectation of 12 it’s looked back on much more favourably that it was at the time. Even by me. But I would have liked it much more if I could have boned Quistis.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
FF XIII-2 has a cool combat system & the story is non-linear. I like it.

The rest is like common ground: 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and Tactics are all worth playing for one reason or another.

Cholo

Arcane
7 was probably the only good one but a lot of people claim not to like it because its setting is too high tech

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Final Fantasy 6,7,9 and 12 and tactics were the highlights of the series for many.

12? Wasn't that the beginning of the modern FF "combat-plays-itself" decline?
Note I don't know the details, I've never owned a console so I've only I played the ported entries (also VII and IX on emulators some years ago).

Hyperion

Arcane
12 was RTwP without the buff micromanagement of prior games. It took away the rote pre-combat actions with proper gambit setups. If you turned off Gambits entirely, you could actually play it like a classic Final Fantasy, pausing the game every time you wanted to take an action, or put the game on active and let enemies wail on you while you choose from the menus. And get owned in the process.

Was also more in line with standard Matsuno themes (read: More like FFT than FF8 and onwards) that you could watch and enjoy. He definitely understands that if you want to make a beloved, and successful JRPG in all parts of the world, you need to actually appeal to western sensibilities.

The localization was so good they even used the English voice acting for the International version, which says loads. Balthier, Basch, and the Judges were standouts for voice acting. Kain from The Legacy of Kain making a short appearance as Judge Zargabaath was an awesome addition.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Thank you for the explanation. So maybe I need to check it out sometime if it is ever ported to Steam.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Four heroes of light is pretty fun too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom