Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Which Fallout Title is worse?

Which Fallout game is worse?

• Total voters

naossano

Cipher
Let's remove that nightmare from my memory. This cannot happen...

I meant that they should have call it Fallout: Capital Wasteland, at the very least. This wouldn't be the only screwed spin-off, but it wouldn't have hurt the main series.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I was 14 when BOS came out and I had some fun playing it co-op with my brother back then. Fallout 3, on the other hand, I couldn't even play more than 4-6 hours. Not really because it sucked as a Fallout game, but because it was just so utterly boring and overall unappealing. Afterwards, I read a codexian let's play and had much more fun with that.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
But, on the other hand, they put "3" on the name...
Actually, you can be thankful for that. Just imagine they would have gone with the fad to just reboot the series and simply name it "Fallout", slowly blotting out the memories of the first game with the rise of new gamer generations.

Because next gen gamers don't refer to Fallout 3 as Fallout anyway, right?

Sykar

Arcane
Actually, you can be thankful for that. Just imagine they would have gone with the fad to just reboot the series and simply name it "Fallout", slowly blotting out the memories of the first game with the rise of new gamer generations.

No, they refer to it as the "BEST GAEM EVAH" ;)

DraQ

Arcane
Even with 3 it is exactly what happened.

Let's remove that nightmare from my memory. This cannot happen...

I meant that they should have call it Fallout: Capital Wasteland, at the very least.
Good job ensuring that no one even remembers there were Fallouts prior to it.
At least "3" implies something.

Osvir

Learned
I tried Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, and I thought it was shit. Played maybe 20-30 minutes before stopping. Never gave it an honest chance.

I dislike Fallout 3, mainly out of principle. Though, Fallout: New Vegas made me appreciate Fallout 3 more, and made it more playable and enjoyable. Yet, FO:NV doesn't do much differently in terms of gameplay, it simply gives the player a more ambigious beginning (in terms of Roleplay). I do get the feeling that Fallout 4 will have toggleable First-Person, 3rd Person and Top-Down Person with mouse-clicking movement. Well... I hope it does.

EDIT: Although, Bethesda might make a "FOO", and ruin the series even more. Just like they did with TESO. Or they might wait for VR-tech to hit commercially before any FO4, like I think many bigger Studios are (Half-Life 3 anyone? I'm p. sure Half-Life 3 will release when VR either becomes popular, or it will be used to make VR commercially popular). If anyone ITT has ties with Valve somehow, go give Gaben a nudge yo /EDIT

So, should I vote on the game I have barely touched because I thought it sucked at the gate (BOS) or on the installment (FO3) I genuinely disapprove of, but have spent several hours on? Can I leave a comment vote stating that both drained the essence of Incline from Fallout 1 & 2 and turned "Fallout" into Decline...?

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Encountered this. This kind of cultural vandalism is fucking repulsive.

naossano

Cipher
It seems weird when you hear people say that they are Fallout fan and only enjoy Fo3.
Not only they claim to be fans of a franchise while only liking one installement, but they end up being fan of the one that bring the downfall of the series.
It is like being fan of soviet regime, but only loving the fall of the Berlin wall.
Only loving a downfall doesn't make you a fan of what has fell.

Osvir

Learned
Shit-offtopic-post:

A thought, an idea, for Fallout to get some Incline.

Start in a Pre-Apocalypse world, where everything is intact. Make the Apocalypse a Roguelike element, that it may or may not happen within 1-7 in-game days. When it happens, you'll have to hide, as to avoid getting nuked, or radiated. Depending on where you are, and what situation you are in, you'd face different challenges. For instance, "whoops! a bit too close to that radiation so-N! You're now a ghoul! Have fun!".

Pre-Apocalypse plundering, pillaging. Civilians/NPC's going berserk before the nukes hit, attacking you, pillaging. Guards and soldiers, Riots, a lot of Pre-Apocalypse stuff...

Then it happens, and the Fallout begins.

Man oh man that'd be an amazing take on the genre, and no Fallout game (or any game I can think of) has tried that transition. It either starts with a CGI, cutscene or a bit of a backstory and then fast-forward into the Post-Apocalyptic, but it never starts and let's the Player play a couple of hours of "normality" and then "BANG!".

2-in-1 games, in essence, as it should be open world, exploring, maybe even some questing, before the nukes hit. And if you don't hide from the nukes in either a vault or a bomb shelter, you'd die and have to start over.

Turjan

Arcane

Encountered this. This kind of cultural vandalism is fucking repulsive.
Sure, people like that exist. However, the "3" is at least a reminder that there is an original and a "2" for people who can think about what they read. The more common reaction I saw was that people looked at the older Fallouts and hated them. There's still those who loved them though, so the "3" is still worth it.

Sometimes you have to choose your battles if you can't win them all.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
You are asking me if I enjoy the torture of Van Buren being killed off (Fallout 3) or enjoy knowing how Black Isle died (FO:BOS).

badnews3.gif

I refuse to choose either pile of shit and voted kc. Thankfully you got that right so I suppose you shouldn't be banned.

Crevice tab

Savant
Couldn't truly finish either game but I'd say Fallout 3 if only because of the utterly retarded dialogue and characters. That may be because I played F 3 (which I actually bought) a lot more than BOS (which I played for 20 minutes before deciding to never touch it again).

In any case they're both shit games but Fallout 3 actually has the indecency to masquerade as a cRPG sequel and the quests/dialogue/world building are so dam stupid your brain recoils in horror and tries to bash itself against unconscious your skull to escape the pain.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
My list

Fallout 1 > Fallout 2/Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout: Tactics > Fallout: BOS/ Fallout 3

Content alone I prefer New Vegas. Dislike the Bethesda Gamepla. New Vegas Gameplay changes made the gameplay at least passable though, compared to F3.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
New Vegas with Fallout 2 engine and some enhanced graphics would cause me to mindgasm.

pippin

Sure, people like that exist. However, the "3" is at least a reminder that there is an original and a "2" for people who can think about what they read. The more common reaction I saw was that people looked at the older Fallouts and hated them. There's still those who loved them though, so the "3" is still worth it.

Sometimes you have to choose your battles if you can't win them all.

I've met MANY people who think beth named 3 like that because it looked cool.
I'm beyond that, luckly (it was hell at first, though). However, I still get maximum cringe when people say "New Vegas sucks" yet most of the mods they add to 3 implement elements present in NV.

Crevice tab

Savant
I'm beyond that, luckly (it was hell at first, though). However, I still get maximum cringe when people say "New Vegas sucks" yet most of the mods they add to 3 implement elements present in NV.

That's seriously retarded. What sort of idiot can't figure out that 3 means the third instalment of a series?

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual

That's seriously retarded. What sort of idiot can't figure out that 3 means the third instalment of a series?
Never underestimate the power of human retardation. I should know, I bought FO3 on console.

Sykar

Arcane

Well Final Fantasy managed to completely confuse non-japanese gamers by naming FF 4-6 to FF 1-3 in the western market so hey, maybe some of them were like? FO 3? Must be FO 6!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom