Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which factions do you usually join in Gothic 1 and 2?

Which factions do you usually join?

• Total voters

Grinolf

Arcane
Not sure why you'd be anything except melee in Gothic
Because mage could sent fireballs into group of orcs and then kill the ones who survive with his sword? As I said, magic in the Gothic 1 are rather alternative to the bow than melee.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Last circle of magic in Gothic 2 was disgustingly strong, the only downside was that you get to use it only for the last chapter of the game. Made it a trivial matter, especially after struggling with swords to kill tens of enemies in small places.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's good to invest in melee or bows as a Mage, but you can still rely quite a lot on magic even early on. The summon spells, especially summon Skeleton Goblin, are ridiculously good against most enemies until Orcs. It's hilarious to summon 10 Skeleton Goblins and watch them whack away at Trolls.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's hilarious to summon 10 Skeleton Goblins and watch them whack away at Trolls.
Damn, this I gotta see. :lol:

They circle around him like some unholy ritual :)

I don't really have favourite factions in Gothics, always try to play as a different faction in each playthrough. Next time I'll replay them, I'm going to choose sect in 1. and magi in 2.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Joining the New Camp and Mercenaries makes the most sense gameplay wise for me, so that's what I usually do, but since I like to explore the quirky sides of games, I've had a lot of fun with Sect Camp and Monastery respectively - never finished these playthroughs, though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A bit off topic here, but I just started playing gothic 1 a few days ago. How far can you progress in quests from one camp before you reach a point where the others won't accept you ? I am guessing you can do various reputation quests for all 3 before your initiation to one.

So far I've only been to Old Camp, and I can't really explore that much since even the crappiest of enemies kill me in two - three hits, so it seems convenient to finish all my quests here first. The New Camp sounds like the one I'd rather be in, with their plan of escape and all, but I don't know much about it yet
You can do all the quests for each of the camps. Once Thorus lets you into the castle and tells you to see Gomez, you should stop there. For the other camps, you can just ask if you're ready to be a member.
In fact, it's actually possible to join two guilds by exploiting the quest triggers. The monastery for instance, if you approach the doorman for joining, but don't go talk to the superior, you can join another guild meanwhile, get their training / armor, and then join the mages guild :lol:. You don't keep the training benefits though, so you should slurp what you want before jumping ship.

Aurelius

Educated
I liked the Sect camp in the original Gothic mostly because I liked the look of the Templar armor and trying to convince the Gurus was fun. In Gothic II it's the monastery for me, because becoming a mage feels somewhat special and you get special treatment from some of the Paladins (a pure mage build is rather tedious most of the time, though). It also fits into the whole theme of the Nameless Hero being chosen by Innos or whatever.
I've done all the factions and liked them all for different reasons.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
All of them.
No, seriously - after few playthroughs Mercs/New Camp and Mages (don't like initial quests and begining though) are only good options for me.
Playing as a mage in last playthrough of G1 and G1+NotR was interesting but after playing as Battle Mage (mage+archer) in NotR with precisely character build (every LP, perma potion and rare leaf count) I lost any interest with that game. Nothing new could happen, maybe except mods.

Actually there is a way for a mage to not havie to invest in melee or bow. There is one spell, forgot the name. It's a fire spell, the one which can get stronger by holding a key and pouring more mana into it. If player won't hold it, and just start casting spell as it is, it will not use any mana, so player can use it infinitely, casting it over and over.

hakuroshi

Augur
Played mages in both games, so Old Camp and Monastery (with NotR installed).

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It's hilarious to summon 10 Skeleton Goblins and watch them whack away at Trolls.
Damn, this I gotta see. :lol:
There are lot of hilarious stuff one can experience in Gothic games, if you like to experiment a lot like me. Most memorable moment was making the invincible gate guard from the Valley of Mines castle to fall off the wall and lure him to orcs. Make all the orcs in the vicinity to fight him (epic sight) and cast a rain of fire. Also you can climb on one of the rafters that hold the orc tents so that you're exactly in the height that is unreachable for orcs and pot shoot them with arrows or magic. Or when in Khorinis, you can beat up the thug that demands a tribute by initiating fight, leading him to upper town make guards deal with him. Then when he wakes up with almost zero HP bunch him in the butt to claim a victory and respectz. Think i once did that to Bulko or Sentenze leading him all the way to Khornis. :lol: Or you could simply summon a demon in some lively inhabited place, preferably Khorinis, sit back, take popcorn or what have you and enjoy the show. Radiant AI in action if i ever saw one.
Oh yes, almost forgot. When you join the militia/paladins and attack one of them, all the others will join your side and kill the poor sod by performing a mass simultaneous coup-de-grace and then get back to their chores like nothing happened. Brilliant game.

SoupNazi

It's funny now that I think about it I would say the AI in Gothic 1/2 is better than in Oblivian.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh yes, almost forgot. When you join the militia/paladins and attack one of them, all the others will join your side and kill the poor sod by performing a mass simultaneous coup-de-grace and then get back to their chores like nothing happened. Brilliant game.
Happens on the Merc side as well.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In Gothic 1 usually New Camp (Old Camp is way too full of assholes) But Swamp Camp is still a must play :lol:

In G2 any faction will do.

Murk

Arcane
First time I played I picked New Camp in G1 because it seemed to be honest and direct about it; I knew who hated me and was a problem and who would help me out. In the Old Camp there were legit bros but you never really knew who was a friend or foe-in-disguise. In later play throughs I did all possible routes but always had a personal preference for the New Camp, which would carry over to the Mercs after. Also, the heavy Merc armor is one of my favorite armors in games. Just has some nice style to it with the fur and limited use of metal.

I guess I agree with your categorizations cboyardee. I always thought the mercenary crew was sort of a "we may not be perfect, but we have our freedom" type of deal while the old camp and paladins were too busy keeping the shell of a system going, with them sitting atop the newly reshaped pyramid. I'm sure there can be some political shit thrown in here, with plucky naive idealists and conservative realists or something.

The sect camp always confused me because in the English version Yberrion sounded like a southern baptist preacher and that auto-triggered some aversion. The templar armor was p dope tho and I did enjoy being the only guy with hair in that crew (I would have got all the ladies had there been any).

Mebber

Educated
"(Old Camp is way too full of assholes)"

I always loved to behave like an complete asshole and rob and beat every single non-invulnerable poor guy in the entire colony, so the Old Camp was always a good choice for me. So was New Camp, but i don't like to wait so long to finally use magic.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, fine.

Because I'm a lazy bastard and it's been a while: any must-have or interesting mods / tweaks before I fire up G2+NOTR?

I'm pretty sure the only time I completed G2 it was with the Mercs, who I think appealed to most players because they do seem like they'd have the most powerful stuff and also act most rationally. I might try the Monastery.

Edit: because I can't into Gothic faction names :negative:

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
I've yet to find a mod (even the bug fix ones) that don't crash the game for me. [Oh god, the antidote! It was poison!]

Monastery is good for subsequent play throughs cuz you're p weak for the majority of the game as a mage. It's also atypical in its faction climbing as you are a novice for like 30 minutes before you become a mage, and don't have to wait for the dragon hunt to begin.

Also magic is fun. One of my favorite experiences in g2 is a potion of haste + fire rain (scroll or rune, your choice) and aggroing all the orcs into a mob then blasting them all for like 3 easy levels.

Unrelated: because i'm such a completionist whore I always wait to go to the prison colony to learn how to extract blood-fly venom before doing new world content, so I can do the one potion thing without backtracking.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
If OP hasn't tried the other G2 factions, it's worth playing at least the militia line. For G1, I like the new camp because it lets me sell drugs for a quest, and I like that. Wish I could do it all game long.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Explorerbc

Arcane
I just finished Gothic 1, and I don't think that camp choice is as important as I initially thought.

The moment I joined the Old Camp, was in fact the last time I had any really meaningful interaction with them. The next quests had me working for the Swamp Camp, and after that, the New Camp as well.

So even though I just joined their rival faction, and walked in with official Old Camp uniform and all, they still assigned me their most important tasks, instead of giving them to a Templar or a Mercenary.

mondblut

Arcane
In Gothic 2, I used console to switch between all 3 on the fly. Because of fuck you, I am not going to replay it 3 times.

In 1, beats me, probably new camp.

Sent from my PC using Firefox

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Three times? I played Gothic 2 five times. Two times mercenary, once as a paladin and twice as a mage. Too bad mages had only the Innos path, else I would have play even more+M

Tigranes

Arcane
Joined the militia in G2, I think I've never done that. I always liked how the moment you walk into the first town there's one dude in gleaming metal armour while everyone is in rags, and you ask, where can I get some of that shit, and he says, join the militia. They sure know how to PR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom