Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Where my Bubbles Gone?

Prime Junta

Jesus.

AD&D is a shit system. Its only redeeming quality is that there's a gigantic number of genuinely fun spells in it. The real deal with AD&D is the immense wealth of supporting materials: some of the settings are among the best ever (Ravenloft, Al-Qadim, Planescape, Dark Sun).

(And yes I played it. I DM'ed OD&D, then AD&D1, then AD&D2 from 1986 to 200something straight. Can post pictures of my fallen-to-bits DMG and Player's Handbook for evidence. Fantastic settings, shit, borderline unworkable system.)

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for your opinion! You weren't the one I asked for though. Since you're here anyway, let me tell you, experience =! understanding. From your post history I know what kind of player/GM your are, your opinions on what makes a game good (or not) are open for everyone to read. I'm frankly not interested as I don't think you get my point.

Also what little respect I could have for your ideas is out of the windows once you argue you played a system you believe is shit for almost 20 years. Fantastic setting? Opinable. But if you're so much in love with it why not migrating it to GURPS for example? It's very doable with little to no work involved.

No need for evidence though, I believe you. Also I'm not attacking you personally, I'm simply convinced we share two totally different views on the matter.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Also what little respect I could have for your ideas is frankly out of the windows once you argue you played a system you believe is shit for almost 20 years. Fantastic setting? Opinable. But if you're so much in love with it why not migrating it to GURPS for example? It's very doable with little to no work involved.

Migrating several volumes of spells, monsters, and items from one system to another is not my idea of fun. Also, familiarity -- I and my group knew the system inside and out, so we swung with it. And finally, when we played AD&D we went with heavily narrative/story-based campaigns where combat was only an occasional side dish. If we wanted to play something where the system actually matters, we played something else.

The system is still incoherent, un-fun rubbish that manages to simultaneously be heavy (requiring unnecessarily much un-intuitive arithmetic and table lookups) and incapable of simulating anything to any meaningful extent, while having neither of these aspects make sense from a fun gameplay PoV.

Character advancement is entirely on-rails, the attribute system with its optimal stat distribution per class is so stupid it might as well not be there (you could just roll those bonuses directly into the class/kit descriptions for all the difference it makes), it has completely arbitrary rules like the incredibly tedious and completely non-sensical dual-classing for humans vs multi-classing for non-humans (with arbitrary level caps in the name of "balance," take that anti-Sawyerists), and a lot of the sub-rules just fail directly out of the gate. You have rules about falling which will have a rhino survive a drop that would kill a mouse (because falling damage is a function of height only, not weight, and rhinos have more HP than mice). You have ridiculous HP bloat. You have die rolls that might as well be flat damage because the statistical distribution is effectively a spike (10d6 fireball anyone?). You have a completely boneheaded saving throw system, which bizarrely lists a handful of special attacks without providing any general guidance on how it should work: for example, you've got a separate saving throw against rod/wand/staff and spells, even though rods, wands, and staves replicate spells, another against Petrification/Polymorph although either of those could be replicated in a wand or staff, and yet another against Dragon Breath although that's functionally no different from a cone-shaped AoE attack. I could go on for pages but you get the picture: none of it makes any fucking sense on any level. AD&D rules are only fun if you honestly don't know any better, are a completely autistic rules lawyer who jisms every time they get to look something up in a table, or are wearing glasses with rose tints so deep they might as well be opaque.

tl;dr AD&D sucks and anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete fucking idiot

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
AD&D sucks

Laughable. I won't even address your post. Also what little shred of respect I had for you as a good poster, educated and polite even if frequently wrong, is gone. I never thought you were a complete fucking idiot just for having a different opinion but, clearly, if you bleat as a goat and argue as a goat, you're a cuck.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
AD&D was and still is a great dumbfuck detector, as this thread so eloquently shows.

It was the absolute pinnacle of D&D and fuck anyone who disagrees with me.

Prime Junta

So Prime Junta, excluding brikoleur, seeing that's wip, what pnp games are fun to you?

AD&D. :)

Some PnP games I've had a lot of fun with:
  • OD&D
  • AD&D (1st and 2nd ed)
  • D&D 3.0, 3.5
  • Paranoia
  • Star Wars (two different editions)
  • Call of Cthulhu (5th edition in particular)
  • Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0
  • Judge Dredd
Some I haven't had fun with:
  • Rolemaster (way too unwieldy)
  • Numenera (PnP equivalent of BioWare's Awesome Button)
  • Warhammer (mix of figurine-based wargame and RPG doesn't work for me; I prefer one or the other -- Blood Bowl was fun though)
  • GURPS (tries to do everything which means it excels at nothing)
Most of these have systems that stink. Paranoia and Call of Cthulhu are pretty good. AD&D1 is by far the worst of the bunch, with AD&D2 a close second. As systems go, GURPS isn't half bad actually; its problem is that it lacks focus. It's more of a RPG construction kit than an actual RPG.

See, the system itself is a fairly minor component of what makes a game fun. The main thing I look for is a world which provides interesting, unusual, and exciting opportunities for... well, adventures, I suppose. If that's well-supported by a system, so much the better. It's only when a system goes from borderline unplayable to actually unplayable that we have a real problem, and the only actually-published, reasonably-popular system that I've played which has crossed that line for me is Rolemaster.

But hey, let's talk systems. All of you AD&D-fuckers, can you describe in simple terms:

(1) What characteristics you expect from a good PnP RPG system?
(2) In what ways does AD&D have these characteristics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Xe's mainly talking about the weird scale I think, which is some kind of logarithmic scale with nothing at all differing in the mid-ranges. That's something that appeals to min-maxers I guess.
Wrong, on both accounts.
The weird scale is meant to show how at any level of human physical power the impact on your attacks is largely negligible, and only the extremes show a real difference. This is to reflect how normal people, even with differing levels of physical power still strike at roughly the same power unless trained, which is consistent with reality. It is only when physical power aproximates that of large animals or monsters that you will notice a real difference.

As for the system encouraging minmaxing, thats not really the case, vanilla AD&D isnt very minmaxy friendly at all because there is nothing to minmax. Meaning that you made your choice once and were guaranteed to keep getting stronger each level if you managed to survive.
On modern systems instead you make the choice at character creation, and then every advancement thereafter the choice between sticking to what you were good for or start sucking is presented to the player.

If the point is that everyone belonging to a certain class starts off on the same playing field (whether it's everyone minmaxing the exact same way in point buy, or everyone getting the same indistinguishable mid-range value with 3d6), what's the point of the attributes to begin with? If they're just there to give some extraordinary monsters bonuses, you might as well just do that on a separate basis you'd think.

Wasn't that why Sawyer originally wanted to jettison attributes altogether for PoE, Roguey? :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Out of curiosity, Roguey, have you ever actually played AD&D (1st, 2nd Ed.) as it was meant to be played? That is, live pnp session with a group of RL friends? Because while you clearly understand the math behind it, your knoweledge of what makes a good system as a whole is clearly lacking imho.

I played both with weirdos who loathed third edition.

Oddly enough, they never expected or demanded I learned the details of the rules. Despite loathing third edition, they were role playing purists who enforced role playing in their games and punished (through in-game decisions) the one person in our group who transparently made powergaming choices through metaknowledge.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Sounds awful, frankly. Finding the right mix of people to game with is one of the most important thing, them being purists only comes as being snob at some point. I'd like to go in details and know what kind of powergaming we're talking about. In 2nd ed. there's little a player can do to powergame, without GM support. Arguably just going for that byzantine mess that is Bard in 1st ed could be considered powergaming though. But I understand this isn't the place for such a discussion as we already went OP quite a bit...

Thanks for your answer, anyway!

Prime Junta

In 2nd ed. there's little a player can do to powergame, without GM support.

Except minmaxing your stats at character creation. Although I suppose most AD&D-heads don't even consider that powergaming.

Is there anybody here BTW who actually rolled up a character like it's actually described in some of the older rulebooks? I.e., 3d6 for each stat, no reordering or shuffling points around, then pick the class which best fits the spread?

We did that when we first started playing. Quickly discovered that it was just... not fun. So we started the 4d6-and-drop-the-lowest-score-then-reorder dance like everybody else. It is a really dumb attribute system.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sounds awful, frankly. Finding the right mix of people to game with is one of the most important thing, them being purists only comes as being snob at some point. I'd like to go in details and know what kind of powergaming we're talking about. In 2nd ed. there's little a player can do to powergame, without GM support. Arguably just going for that byzantine mess that is Bard in 1st ed could be considered powergaming though. But I understand this isn't the place for such a discussion as we already went OP quite a bit...

Thanks for your answer, anyway!

For example, choosing a weapon because it does better damage than others and not because it's the type of weapon your character concept would be interested in using.

Prime Junta

For example, choosing a weapon because it does better damage than others and not because it's the type of weapon your character concept would be interested in using.

Ranseur FTW.

Lhynn

Arcane
If we wanted to play something where the system actually matters, we played something else.
This is the single most stupid statement you have made, the system is always the single most important and defining element in a campaign, even in narrative heavy campaigns, because the mechanics dictate the possibilities of the actors. A campaing played in AD&D, Aquellarre or Vampire will play wildly different simply because of the rules. It literally dictates how you interact with the world you stupid fuck, even implying that it has diminished importance because the campaign doesnt use its systems as often is equally retarded. Important still have to be rolled, the duration of a players round still has to be taken into account, the tools/skills you have at your disposal are completely different from system to system.
Its just a very stupid and ignorant thing to say, and you should be ashamed for saying it.

The system is still incoherent
Why? put forward examples.
un-fun rubbish
Maybe for you, but then again you liked poe :lol:, so what do you know of fun.

that manages to simultaneously be heavy (requiring unnecessarily much un-intuitive arithmetic and table lookups)
It doesnt tho, if you actually played the system once youd know that all relevant information is on the characters sheet and that the un-intuitive arithmetic is merely a problem of substracting instead of adding. Just swich the - with a + and you just fixed it, you retarded monkey.
The DM had his own screen with his own relevant tables and rolls, that the players didnt need to see or know.
and incapable of simulating anything to any meaningful extent
And modern systems are? :lol: The whole idea behind the systems efforts to abstract is to get to the fun part of adventuring.

Character advancement is entirely on-rails, the attribute system with its optimal stat distribution per class is so stupid it might as well not be there
Why not? you rolled the die to see what stats you got, and it was perfectly valid to go with a strong and smart warrior or a nimble and resilient warrior. The strong and smart warrior had advancement possibilities that the nimble and resilient didnt. The nimble and resilient warrior had better chances of surviving in group fights than the strong and smart one and quests like finding the legendary belt of frost giant strength to cover for a character weakness were genuinely good plot hooks that would keep the campaign rolling with the DM having to dictate its course at all times. It felt much more organic.
I rather have no choices than choices that come down to "you pick the optimal option for your build or you ruined your character, see you on the next level up".

(you could just roll those bonuses directly into the class/kit descriptions for all the difference it makes)
Thats dumb, even at the same table we could have 4 fighters and all 4 played completely different, because the system wasnt minmax heavy it encouraged exploring options. And even then you had paladins, who had to balance a good charisma and wisdom scores with the scores that were actually relevant to their class, so while they were clearly a more powerful class choice, they also presented clear drawbacks. If the party had 4 fighters you could find a smart fighter(for int maybe future dual classing, extra non weapon proficiencies, a skilled and educated man with a lot of possibilities), a charismatic fighter (laid back kind of guy with a magnetic personality for example, maybe even a poet on his free time) , a wise fighter (strong willed, perceptive and sharp), and nimble and smart fighter (a cowardly one that didnt want to be at the front, that relied on proyectiles, crossbow would work particularly well for him) depending on what the player cared about the most. Stat distribution made a whole lot of sense while it was kept grounded.

has completely arbitrary rules like the incredibly tedious and completely non-sensical dual-classing for humans vs multi-classing for non-humans
Wasnt tedious, and again, you only did it once, so it could be as complex as needed. It also made a hell of a lot more sense than systems like 3.5, where it takes more experience to become a level 2 mage at level 5 than at level 2, while gaining the exact same benefits. These were generally character defining elements that dictated who your character was, classes were more than just a pack of skills and abilities, they were an ethos.

(with arbitrary level caps in the name of "balance," take that anti-Sawyerists)
Wasnt quite about balance, it was simply to signify the human spirit ever reaching new heights. This has been kept alive in every edition of DnD and in almost every system inspired by it in one way or another. Be it with an extra ability, a bonus to exp, etc. Was an optional rule either way.

and a lot of the sub-rules just fail directly out of the gate.
which ones?

You have rules about falling which will have a rhino survive a drop that would kill a mouse (because falling damage is a function of height only, not weight, and rhinos have more HP than mice).
True.

You have ridiculous HP bloat.
Untrue, actually in AD&D everything had a fairly low HP pool.

You have die rolls that might as well be flat damage because the statistical distribution is effectively a spike (10d6 fireball anyone?).
I enjoy rolling lotsa dice, dont you? Anyway, anyone that has played a wizard for long enough can tell you that statistics dont matter when its time to roll your fireball to see if your enemies die or dont die, low rolls can fuck over strategies while high rolls could solve encounters, it also was your only 3rd level spell for the longest of time, but it was a great one that you were always looking forward to using.
Nowdays you can cast a fireball every 15 seconds and the damage is about a 10-15% of the enemy max hp.

You have a completely boneheaded saving throw system, which bizarrely lists a handful of special attacks without providing any general guidance on how it should work: for example, you've got a separate saving throw against rod/wand/staff and spells, even though rods, wands, and staves replicate spells, another against Petrification/Polymorph although either of those could be replicated in a wand or staff, and yet another against Dragon Breath although that's functionally no different from a cone-shaped AoE attack.
Wow, just wow, you really are retarded. First, there was a priority, from first to last. If the saving throw was from a wand but the effect would instantly kill you, you still rolled against death, because it was the highest priority save. Second, the fact that saving throws were fairly static meant that you actually got better against magic. Unlike nowdays where mages make it harder to save as they go up in level you actually developed effective defenses against a threat. Third, every class had lower saving throws against things they were expected to know or handle the best at the start.
There were plenty of dragon breaths by the way, some could outright kill you, some could stop time for everyone affected, etc. Stop being so god damn ignorant.
I frankly loved the system, having a 5 against death was a big deal, getting an item that lowered that to 4 was a big deal. It wasnt a big deal at level 8 but bad at level 14, it was a BIG DEAL ALWAYS, you were plain good at it. Especially considering just how plagued of nasty effects the game got as you leveled up. That meant that while it was easier to save the stakes were higher.

I could go on for pages but you get the picture
You could, and i would obliterate every stupid point you ever make, you ignorant twat.

none of it makes any fucking sense on any level.
Everything makes sense.

AD&D rules are only fun if you honestly don't know any better, are a completely autistic rules lawyer who jisms every time they get to look something up in a table, or are wearing glasses with rose tints so deep they might as well be opaque.
Not really, you cant be a rules lawyer in AD&D, it was all so clear cut that it was impossible to misinterpret them, unless you didnt read the rules and tried to force your ignorance on others. Ive DMed AD&D as soon as 2015, to players that only new 3rd edition, cyberpunk and other newer systems, they loved it.

tl;dr AD&D sucks and anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete fucking idiot
No, you are incredibly ignorant of the subject matter and should just shut the fuck up like the bitch you fucking are. The lying, conniving bitch you have been from day one.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
You think that's a wall of text?

... you really are the harbinger of decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom