Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where does Piranha Bytes stand among all time great studios?

So they have released seven games in their history, which is roughly around twenty years now:

Gothic
Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven
Gothic 3
Risen
Risen 2
Risen 3
ELEX

Four of the seven are high quality RPGs: Gothic, Gothic 2, Risen, and ELEX. The other 3 are not very good. But the good ones rank very highly, I mean all three that were out before the last Codex list was done were on it, one in the top ten. And this is on the Codex, which is known to be biased toward turn based, isometric games.

To me, their track record looks very good, and can stand toe to toe with just about anyone. 57% success rate with their games, and the successful games being really great, and not just good. And to their accomplishments, they might be the only monocled studio who survived the decline (with Risen and ELEX).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Makes me want to see a chart comparing different devs as if they were Hollywood studios.

- Sir-Tech
- Origin Systems
- New World Computing
- Strategic Simulations

Would be the most important IMO, then followed by:

- Interplay/Black Isle
- BioWare
- Piranha Bytes

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Risen "high quality"
:what:

Risen is fucking sky high quality compared to most bullshit released around the same time.

Risen 2 is rightly hated for being corridor island, as the review here said, but I did love the setting and a lot of the typical PB writing and questing. Haven't played Risen 3 or Elex yet.

Risen "high quality"
:what:

Risen is my least favorite of PB games (from among the good ones), but it's a pretty good game overall. The first part especially is amazing. Later parts unfortunately, not as good. When PB gameplay comes together, there is nothing quite like it.

Having developed ELEX, they are obviously at the very top.

You ever get tired of shit-posting? You are a pretty smart dude, Darth Ratsor, so it's sad to see you make so little effort outside of reviews.

Gothic 1, 2 + NotR are top tier.
Gothic 1 has interesting story, setting, atmosphere.
G2 + NotR improved almost everything, especially mechanics and the combat. It was fun fighting with enemies while being seriously underlevelled and with shitty weapon. It was fun because it was possible to win, even though the chance was really slim. The story was meh.
Gothic 3 is shit. However there's some nice landscape and soundtrack.
Risen is meh. It's Gothic 2 in tropical setting, but worse.
Risen 2 is surprisingly fun. Very cheesy and stupid, but fun.
I couldn't get into Risen 3, the voice of main character is terrible.
Haven't played ELEX yet.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I've only played gothic 3 and risen 1, wasn't a fan of either so for me not very high.

I had gothic 1 and 2 in a bundle but they didn't run on 3 different computers so I sold them and never thought about it again.

frajaq

Erudite
Didn't play any of their games besides ELEX because people around here hyped it up a lot

They seem like an overrated developers if ELEX was anything to show

deama

Prophet
I would say Gothic 1/2 are very good, Risen 1 was ok, I didn't like Risen 2 much, Risen 3 wasn't as good as 1, but had some redeeming qualities (it had good spell combat). Elex is ok, I didn't like how they done character progression and the combat was meh (especially magic).

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Piranha Bytes is basically the developer who makes flawed, unpolished games that are so charming and compelling that you somehow already threw 50 hours into them before realizing what happened.

Ivan

Arcane
Risen is my least favorite of PB games (from among the good ones), but it's a pretty good game overall

Agreed. For me, Gothic 2 is a revelatory title, easily ranking among my top 5 RPGs. It has the most well realized game world I've experinced. I enjoyed Gothic well enough but was blown-away by the leap made in the sequel.

Elex and Risen are underrated. Sure, if you compare them to Gothic 1/2, they are inferior, but if you compare them to the vast majority of RPGs (even the really good ones), they have tremendous strengths. Yet, much like the mainstream media parrots, many here will just harp on lack of polish or jank or some other bs.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
They gave us alternatives to FO3 and FO4 in the form of Risen and Elex. In my eyes, that's something to be admired and cherished. I don't consider them to be as objectively good as Obsidian or Black Isle, but I just love their games the same way people love From Software.

Piranha Bytes is basically the developer who makes flawed, unpolished games that are so charming and compelling that you somehow already threw 50 hours into them before realizing what happened.
Couldn't have put it better myself

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Risen is just too small when compared to G2 or even G1. It also declines after the first two acts (tbh every PB game declines after first two acts, but Risen declines harder).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whatever they create now and in the future, they will forever belong to the pantheon of Gods for Gothic 1-2+expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom