Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Where did all the tactical first person shooters go?"

Ivan

Arcane
Kickstarter Successful:

Failed Kickstarter:

Insurgency is badass

Astral Rag

Arcane

---

I keep coming back to this game, single player is great fun but the game really shines when you play it in co-op mode with a friend. I always despised the timed mission though. The expansion pack is also very good.

I wonder why these games are not being sold on Steam.

Last edited:
Insurgency is badass

Is the game worth getting for the cooperative game modes alone? I only play deathmatch games "with" randoms.
Co-op Insurgency is quite awesome, I've played it with 4-5 friends + random players, and it was quite enjoyable. AI enemies sometimes make dumb decisions, but the game's quite deadly even with occasional AI glitch.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It was a niche genre that started to give way to casual pseudo-realistic cinematic shooters.
Can you imagine selling these retards a game:
Without Regen.
Without respawns. "Oh but i don't want to see my team mates play!"
Lethal harsh gunplay. "What? I am dead already?"
Reloading either means that you lose that clip or that somewhere in your pocket there is a magazine with 5 bullets.
No xp points.
No unlocks.
Not optimized for gamepads.

Realistic shooters, like the ones mentioned, punished you for your mistakes, and punished you hard.
Being shot either meant death or being crippled for the next 15 minutes instead of being a 3 sec nuisance with a red flashing screen.
Today casual gamers don't want to be punished for what they do wrong. They want acknowledgment of how awesome they are.
HEADSHOT!
Back on the old r6 if i wanted to know if i scored a head shot i had to examine the body.
Reading this feature list :argh: make these games dammit!

Machocruz

Arcane
I never liked the planning phase in Raven Shield. Seemed like it required too much meta knowledge about each map and enemy whereabouts, specifically for missions where you had to kill every terrorist. And the Zulu go-code never worked correctly. As far as team coordination, SWAT 4 sits at the top of the CQB heap. Ghost Recon is probably my favorite tactical FPS overall.

I started playing H&D2. Feels like a harsher No One Lives Forever. Shooting feels similar. Is it the same engine? The campaign feels like a proper FPS campaign, with more variety and a stronger narrative thrust than most other tactical shooters and a bit of an arcadey feel as far as these games go. Due to this, I could see a game like it surviving in today's popamole market.

SWAT 4 is actually pretty popular. I did not know this. YT videos of the game have a lot of views.

Cadmus

Arcane
not the same engine
It's the same engine as in Mafia, at the time it was absolutely stunningly beautiful and advanced, with the shooting and particle physics, shooting through materials (lol where's that in CoD clones? it was also in all the swats afair) According to wiki it's LS3D engine.

Say how do you like HD2!

bussinrounds

Augur
Say how do you like HD2!
:necro:

Just started this (playing lone wolf/hard difficulty) and it seems pretty cool. Only thing that's slightly annoying is the green text at the top of the screen popping up telling me the enemy has been spotted, ect..

Did some searching around, but I can't seem to find a way to remove it.

Restarted and going with a 2 man team now. This game is giving me some OFP vibes.:incline: Very intense.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Seal Team is where it's at.

What I would give for a modern remake of that gem... Sneaking through the undergrowth to kill a VC sapper at his home, ambushing sampans, calling in air support to wipe a small village off the earth. That game had it all and had a darker undercurrent about the immorality of war than pretty much everything else out there. Without making a point of it. Amazing stuff. Unfortunately the genre is pretty much as dead in the water as space (arcade)sims used to be. ARMA has some of the charm of these games but is mostly about mp. The sp campaigns are just shit and while pretty the game also lacks a lot of polish for fun sp.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Eurogamer buttering the audience's butt up before they slide in the latest Rainbow 6 reboot.

This article wouldn't have existed 6 months ago, but whatever publisher needs to build up hype.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I don't understand why H&D2 hasn't been released yet on Steam. Been looking for that game for ages and would buy it in a heartbeat :/

tormund

Arcane
What I don't understand why H&D2 hasn't been released yet on Steam. Been looking for that game for ages and would buy it in a heartbeat :/
It looks like 2K doesn't give a rat's ass about releasing old 2K Czech games trough digital distribution. Heck, they even pulled Mafia 2 from sale few months ago, apparently due to licensing issue with couple of music tracks (and since original Mafia was pulled for similar reasons, I doubt that they will put Mafia 2 back on sale any time soon if ever). Every single 2K Czech game is basically "lost" as far as digital distribution goes...

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Ravenshield was fantastic. To this day no FPS weapons fire feels better than the MP5 double-tap in Ravenshield. CS AWP feels nice but not quite the same. TONS of maps for RB63 are around and co-op on hardest difficulty is lots of fun to this day.

Insurgency comes closest in the last 5 years or more IMO. If you liked RB6 games give Insurgency a try.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
12 years on and not one game has yet matched, let alone surpassed, Hidden & Dangerous 2. The game is just unbelievably well made.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It was a niche genre that started to give way to casual pseudo-realistic cinematic shooters.
Can you imagine selling these retards a game:
Without Regen.
Without respawns. "Oh but i don't want to see my team mates play!"
Lethal harsh gunplay. "What? I am dead already?"
Reloading either means that you lose that clip or that somewhere in your pocket there is a magazine with 5 bullets.
No xp points.
No unlocks.
Not optimized for gamepads.

Realistic shooters, like the ones mentioned, punished you for your mistakes, and punished you hard.
Being shot either meant death or being crippled for the next 15 minutes instead of being a 3 sec nuisance with a red flashing screen.
Today casual gamers don't want to be punished for what they do wrong. They want acknowledgment of how awesome they are.
HEADSHOT!
Back on the old r6 if i wanted to know if i scored a head shot i had to examine the body.

Then you should have tried Rainbow Six: Siege Beta. It ended today and aside the completly matchmaking shit, it was pretty good.

It had NO HEALHT REGEN.
NO RESPAWS.
2-3 SHOTS, YOU WERE DEAD OR BLEEDING.
While bleeding you hould be on the ground and could NOT USE ANYTHING. You could only wait for your team-mate to bandage you up but it wouldn't regenerate your lost life.
Then you would have various other mechanics, like environmental destruction, security cameras, barricating doors and windows and so on...
The gunplay was also very well balanced.

I'll probably buy it. If they make the matchmaking work, add server lists (it was still a beta though) and the price is like some 20-25 euros on Kinguin (if by that time the multiplayer community is still alive).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Then you should have tried Rainbow Six: Siege Beta. It ended today and aside the completly matchmaking shit, it was pretty good.

It had NO HEALHT REGEN.
NO RESPAWS.
2-3 SHOTS, YOU WERE DEAD OR BLEEDING.
While bleeding you hould be on the ground and could NOT USE ANYTHING. You could only wait for your team-mate to bandage you up but it wouldn't regenerate your lost life.
Then you would have various other mechanics, like environmental destruction, security cameras, barricating doors and windows and so on...
The gunplay was also very well balanced.

I'll probably buy it. If they make the matchmaking work, add server lists (it was still a beta though) and the price is like some 20-25 euros on Kinguin (if by that time the multiplayer community is still alive).
It's multiplayer only lol. Throw it in the fucking trash and then end yourself.

Cadmus

Arcane
oh shit, it is?
I watched some video and it looked really good.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Don't worry guyz there's a new Rainbow Six game on the horizon:
4shvq00.png
5yfrpr.png

4k0prf.png

2lmoek.png

1z8rsu.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom