Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where could be set next BioShock city?

Blonsky

Prophet
Either dinosaur time with a time traveling city or maybe in a isolated underground cave system like hollow earth theory.

But i think Bioshock Infinity broke the mold how this games were made by adding other dimensions stuff, and any new game will have to make other dimensions an important part of the plot.

So it will probably be an old enemy showing up in some other dimension and you following him there, or a utopian/liberal paradise dimension where everything is perfect gets invaded by guys from a differnet dimension that wants to suck their adam.

Modron

Arcane
Inside a giant geode twirling around in the earth's core or a domed moon city along the lines of alphaville or something. But who cares every bioshock has been shit.

Sykar

Arcane
Underwater, sky, space (Systeam shock) checked.

Where could be set next Bioshock city?
In space has been done.

In water has been done.

In sky has been done.

In time has not been done.

Bioturd series has not been done in space.
The two System Shock games are far to prestigous to be lumped together with the steaming pile of shite which the Bioshock games embody.

Freddie

Savant
Alternate '70s, coastal village or city. Player intersects path with rescued, now adult, little sisters.

pippin

Alternate '70s, coastal village or city. Player intersects path with rescued, now adult, little sisters.

That would be too interesting for a Levine game. Besides it would force you to care about someone other than yourself. Elizabeth, being your daughter, is an extension of yourself, so her well being ends up being yours too.

Besides, Big Sisters from Bio 2 were Little Sisters who, i n one way or another, came back to Rapture.

Freddie

Savant

That would be too interesting for a Levine game. Besides it would force you to care about someone other than yourself. Elizabeth, being your daughter, is an extension of yourself, so her well being ends up being yours too.

Besides, Big Sisters from Bio 2 were Little Sisters who, i n one way or another, came back to Rapture.
Actually: "Eight years after the events of BioShock, the Big Sisters are post-pubescent Little Sisters who have become unstable and confrontational in Rapture's environment."
Only one who came back to Rapture was doctor Tenenbaum. I got idea from one some misc stuff in BioShock 1 & 2 and back story of one NPC in BS2 who came to Rapture to look his daughter that was abducted by Big Sisters in raid to some coastal town.

I was thinking that leaving underwater and similar settings would allow at least small sandbox, because I felt BS Infinite's maps were pretty but otherwise fucking awful. So maybe just move it on land and leave that behind for change.

So there could be still be Rapture with it's denizens under the waves, some missions could be performing tasks to some former little sister to intervene, stop abductions by some new menace from Rapture and protect the secrets of Rapture. Some of the former little sisters has devoted herself to keep up with what's happening in Rapture, so eliminate Rapture raider and deliver some tech and... biosamples to her. Meet her at nightclub (settings, soundtrack) change car keys (samples are in the trunk).

But I was thinking something weird, like mixing Interstate '76 with some sort of 70's version of No One Lives Forever. Anyway, BioShock has always been a bit surreal and it's alternative history, so creating unique visual style shouldn't be a problem. It's also quite unexplored era in gaming.

Thematically, Rand was relevant in '70s at least Neil Peart got inspired by her (album and song 2112 in '76) so there's a possibilities to create links like that. The main strength however might be that protagonist could be outsider or bystander like in BS1 and 2 for whatever philosophical play in the setting.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Either dinosaur time with a time traveling city or maybe in a isolated underground cave system like hollow earth theory.

I really like that idea, I just hope it goes back to the gloomy atmosphere of 1 and 2.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Odd. Where is the post that brought this to my attention?

Ahh well, whatever. BioShock is dead, so is the shit that spawned with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom