Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info When Evil Lurks, News on Chaos Chronicles

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Stop the bullshit. Even if Dragon Age and PoR:RoMD were compatible (which they are not), PoR would still lose. It is a fucking atrocity of a game. It fails on so many basic mechanical elements. In fact I blame it partly for turn-based D&D going out of fashion. So many of my popamole friends who could sometimes be interested in tactical turn-based and adventure stuff bought that game, and they have never looked back.

are there any samples of dialogue or world interaction (traps, locks, search, hide, tame, survive, cook, craft -- I have no idea what's in the game) or is it all just combat?

No concrete example I know of, no, but we know that there will be towns, overland-map exploration, non-combat skills, traps, locks and all that jazz. We know that actual character interaction is at a minimum, though they said in early development that alternative solutions to some key quests would be implemented. HobGoblin42 might want to give you an answer here.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I'll take PoR 2 over trying out Dragon Age any day, just because action isn't really my thing.
But PoR 2 is definitely slow and empty, all exaggeration aside. The game could have been paced a lot better. Not to mention you can't pick your own feats, ruining the essential character building that keeps many of us RPG fans going.

I don't disagree.

I just don't think PoE 2 was nearly as bad as people say. If I had to compare it to a large pool of turn based, D&D based, party based RPGs then PoR 2 wouldn't be very radiant. But considering what I have to compare it to I actually thought it was pretty good, which I suppose is kind of sad really.

Anyway, not trying to derail this into some pointless discussion about PoR 2.

I have such high hopes for Chaos Chronicles.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It is slow, it is empty, it's implementation of D&D is an abomination, it is broken, the combat is awful, it is nearly devoid of customization and these are just the headlines. What you mean here:

If I had to compare it to a large pool of turn based, D&D based, party based RPGs then PoR 2 wouldn't be very radiant. But considering what I have to compare it to I actually thought it was pretty good, which I suppose is kind of sad really.

is: "I like turn-based games and dislike other games, so even the worst turn-based piece of crap is better for me than the shiniest RtWP game." Which is fair enough, the same holds somewhat true for me. But when evaluating something as a game, saying that PoR:RoMD is somehow above a polished and basically functioning game, no matter what that game is, is nonsense. I'd almost go so far as to call Call of Duty a better game than PoR:RoMD, and considering the damage I believe CoD is doing to gaming those are big fucking words.

Dorateen

Arcane
I feel like Gimli sounding the battle horn at Helm's Deep... YES!

Also for what it was, PoR 2 rocked, and DA should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Chaos Chronicles.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Grunker, as I said, it is subjective.

In my opinion Dragon Age was a boring shitty game. I grew tired of it almost instantly. While on the other hand I finished POR 2. In my opinion that means that PoR 2 was a better game. I get that it is subjective, and I realize I am biased towards turn based games and absolutely hate 99% of the RTwP games I have played.

I enjoyed the combat in PoR 2 while I detested the combat in BG, BG2, Planescape Torment, Dragon Age, NWN2. Was the combat in PoR 2 flawed? Yes, of course. But not nearly as flawed as what was offered to me in these action games.

Planescape Torment is one of my favorite games, but that is true DESPITE the combat engine. The combat was terrible, but everything else was so great that it simply didn't matter to me.

I really don't want to argue about this. So pointless. It is subjective. I understand that most people hated POR2. That is fine. I am not trying to convince anyone otherwise, I am simply saying I liked that game. Maybe that makes me stupid. Maybe I have no taste. Maybe I am a moron. That doesn't matter. All that matters to me is that I liked it despite it's flaws.

I shouldn't have brought it up. I just couldn't help saying, "hey, I like PoR 2 and I wish there were more games like PoR 2". Of course I am hoping for better games.

Chaos Chronicles doesn't have to achieve much to please me. But I am hoping they knock it out of the park with everyone else.

Dorateen

Arcane
Something I've been wondering, and haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Are the party members locked together to move as a group during exploration? Or can the others stand their ground while the player selects one character to scout ahead at a distance, set up ambushes, etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Animations look pretty cheap. Good thing those don't determine the quality of a turn-based game.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like fun times with fireballs.

The next couple years are shaping up to be potentially great ones for RPG afficianados.

UnknownBro

Savant
Sure, CC might be coming 2013... but I'm coming right now !!
:flamesaw:

PS: I also liked the music, reminds me of Conan and shit.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
kFvLj.png

:troll:

misha

Educated
We know that actual character interaction is at a minimum

whaaaat? :'< what I saw it is party based! so wtf?!
I don't need voiceacting, i need tons of text written by guy who isn't mac walters

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Will we have text? Yes, we will have and I am very proud to say that our books come with a huge amount of different appearances including authentic typography.
Just one small sneak preview for you guys (it's a diary you can find in the game, text is placeholder):

CC_book.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, I haven't played a game in German in a long time. Vill be nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom