Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's a good baby's first blobber?

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
You're talking about the console ports. The original Wizardry V had the same wireframe graphics as the 4 Wizardries before. That's one of the reasons I started with 6 and 7.

Wizardry 6 had a beautiful console port. Only if it had proper translation instead of a crappy fan-made one. :negative:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Wizardry I was good enough for me as a headlong "get thrown in and figure it out" introduction to blobbers.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You're talking about the console ports. The original Wizardry V had the same wireframe graphics as the 4 Wizardries before. That's one of the reasons I started with 6 and 7.

Wizardry 6 had a beautiful console port. Only if it had proper translation instead of a crappy fan-made one. :negative:

The PC graphics of Wizardry 6 were good enough anyway and you don't need any translation there as it was an English title.

Are you saying that the console ports were badly translated from Japanese back into English?

As an introduction to RT blobbers, I think Lands of Lore works very well. A charming, atmospheric, pretty game that mixes some adventure elements with a simplified role playing system. Follow up with Eye of the Beholder and then Dungeon Master for a sensible difficulty curve.

As an introduction to TB blobbers, I think Might and Magic in general can't be beat. MM I was my first game (when I was 8 years old!) and it lasted me for years. I still have amazing memories of that game. I think the best introduction to M&M is Clouds of Xeen, but Isles of Terra work too. They're very charming games with a huge overworld to explore and decent enough combat.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
As to more recent titles: Might & Magic X for TB blobbers, Grimrock 2 for RT blobbers and Lords of Xulima for a good TB blobber/isometric hybrid.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The PC graphics of Wizardry 6 were good enough anyway and you don't need any translation there as it was an English title.

Are you saying that the console ports were badly translated from Japanese back into English?

Wizardry 6 (and also 5 I believe) had fan translations on the SNES. I haven't played it but it's possible the translation was subpar.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Wizardry 6 (and also 5 I believe) had fan translations on the SNES. I haven't played it but it's possible the translation was subpar.
I've tried playing those (just a few minutes though). The spells didn't get translated, but the descriptions are. Also somehow I start with a party consisting of aweigh and friends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom