Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's a good baby's first blobber?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Did Anvil of Dawn change the nature of a blobber?

Themadcow

Augur
Wizardry VI

Don't forget to get the ring (and import your save game into VII).

I'd highly recommend using a walkthrough for quite a bit of Wiz VI since it's highly... highly likely that you'll miss items like the Diamond Ring unless you know what answers to give during specific encounters.

Wiz 6 really is a great blobber to start with if you can overlook the slow combat animations / graphics.

DefJam101

Arcane
Blobbers never interested me when I was younger, and the Black Isle isometric look completely captured my imagination. Now I feel like I've missed out on an entire sub-genre, and I'd like to give it a shot. So where's a good starting point?
wizardry 8

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
if realms of arkania and LoT are being recommended i can recommend Dark Heart of Uukrul as more thematically appropriate

Last edited:
Generation Xth looks like my ideal blobber. Wizardry inspired with SMT art style and horror. I hope it gets a translation patch soon. This is not even like Dragons Dogma or Demon Souls that a ps3 purchase will allow me to play it.
The best shit from Japan stays out of my reach.

:rage: :rage: :rage:

felipepepe Are there any more blobbers similar to Generation Xth on PC/emulated systems in eng (or ongoing translations) to look out for except smt/spinoffs?

DraQ

Arcane
Generation Xth looks like my ideal blobber. Wizardry inspired with SMT art style and horror. I hope it gets a translation patch soon. This is not even like Dragons Dogma or Demon Souls that a ps3 purchase will allow me to play it.

felipepepe Are there any more blobbers similar to Generation Xth on PC/emulated systems in eng (or ongoing translations) to look out for except smt/spinoffs?
Why won't you just be a good :rpgcodex: and play your Wiz8?

Themadcow

Augur
What saddens me is that after the PS2 Wizardry game, the PS3 releases (Labyrinth of Lost Souls only in the West) have been a massive backwards step in pretty much every respect (even visually).

Why won't you just be a good :rpgcodex: and play your Wiz8?
I am playing wiz8. but tbh, i am close to abandoning it...its very slow even with wizfast. Started Wiz7, will msot probably drop wiz8 and play 7.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Labyrinth of Touhou burns your eyes too much? Otherwise you have Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for PS2, as Edward pointed out.

Generation XTH should be coming in the next 2 weeks, so it's worth the wait. I have the beta patch, it's 95% done and fully playable, but it's probably best to wait for the final release... if it doesn't come, I'll share mine with you.

Dorateen

Arcane
The Gold Box games were transitional, with exploration done in first person perspective and the party moving as one cohesive unit, so maybe we can include that as well.

Personally, if we reach the point where the term "blobber" can be flushed, that'd be fine by me.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just had too much nostagia and decided to play the amiga version of Eye of the Beholder.
Not my favorite series but entertaining nonetheless

Labyrinth of Touhou burns your eyes too much? Otherwise you have Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for PS2, as Edward pointed out.

Generation XTH should be coming in the next 2 weeks, so it's worth the wait. I have the beta patch, it's 95% done and fully playable, but it's probably best to wait for the final release... if it doesn't come, I'll share mine with you.
:bro:
Yep, the moe stuff cant tolerate much... abandoned EO3 in the 4th stratum.

Zetor

Arcane
IMO the best blobber EVAR is Wiz8, but it is definitely good to play through the entire series with the same party (even though game balance shifts around a lot with each game). I would actually recommend starting with Wiz7, as Wiz6 can be a bit... rough around the edges for a newbie.

XTH is pretty damn good if you want a taste of oldschool Wizardry / Bard's Tale gameplay. It's also part of a series, though I'm not too hopeful of the sequels being translated anytime soon... ah well!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I started up both MM3 and 4, and messed around a bit. 3 doesn't seem like it's especially difficult to get into.

Not seeing any stats on items in the store was a little bit of a shock.

The tilebased movement and turning don't bother me. Just call me the king of abstraction.

Of course now the Wasteland 2 beta is about to drop. Which to play? C&C.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Of course now the Wasteland 2 beta is about to drop. Which to play? C&C.

You must really be young, inexperienced and/or have the enthusiasm of a puppy if you really consider playing a beta instead of waiting for the finished, preferably patched, game.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey to each his own, I would rather play M&M3 than a beta but I have been doing that for the Grimoire Superdemo so it all cool as long as you are having fun

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You're talking about the console ports. The original Wizardry V had the same wireframe graphics as the 4 Wizardries before. That's one of the reasons I started with 6 and 7.

Severian Silk

No blobber is good. Avoid like the plague.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom