Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What you guys use for building maps?

desocupado

Magister
What is easy to use and integrate into your stuff?

I downloaded Tiled, but the documentation is mostly non-existent and outdated, as far as I could figure.

Any suggestions for 2d hexagonal maps?

gaussgunner

Arcane
I used Tiled a few years ago, no problems. Who needs docs? The website says it supports hex maps now. The old Java version (stopped in 2009) might have better hex support: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tiled/files/Tiled/

If you're writing your own rendering engine, it wouldn't be too hard to write your own editor. I'm doing that now (but not hex).

Another suggestion: look at Battle for Wesnoth. It's open-source, python, hex-based, with editor.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree with gauss.

Either develop your own map editor so you can save the map configuration into an array to be fed into your game engine during runtime or do like what I do in the past, just use Adobe Photoshop with custom grids.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I use Tiled for my hex based game. But I use the isometric layout, not the staggered hex one. I haven't run into much problem. It is just that I will need to have some other tool to define game logic, as it is cumbersome to do so with tiled objects.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I will need to have some other tool to define game logic, as it is cumbersome to do so with tiled objects.

What is the problem with adding logic with tiled?

I use tiled for my isometric maps too. It is great. I define properties on tiles for collisions, and use a "data" layer for spawns, lights, traps, secret doors, etc.

some screenshots below.

aEcQT.jpg

2K7Mn.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the problem with adding logic with tiled?

I use tiled for my isometric maps too. It is great. I define properties on tiles for collisions, and use a "data" layer for spawns, lights, traps, secret doors, etc.

some screenshots below.

aEcQT.jpg

2K7Mn.jpg
That is what I do actually : I use a few layers with number tiles that are not rendered, but it gets a bit cumbersome when I want to specify that reinforcement area 3 should only be activated after doors (1 and 2) or (3 and 5) have been opened for the first time.

Lissagaray

Barely Literate
Photoshop yeah... a friend of mine switched from tiled maps to photoshopped, less fuss and looks great.

Another tip (you may already know) - hex maps are just a special case of rectangular maps, with the odd rows offset 50%. Forget where I saw that but this explains the math: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resourc.../coordinates-in-hexagon-based-tile-maps-r1800

This is a very good explanation of hex maps, explains all the math, the various coordinate systems and a lot more:
http://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom