Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What will you do when Fallout 3 comes out?

What will you do when Fallout 3 comes out?

• Buy it immediately, it's Fallout for fuck's sake!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pirate it immediately, I'm looking forward to it but still pissed off about Oblivion.

• Buy it if there're good reviews/forum feedback. I want to support good games but have been burned in

• Buy it if Gamespot/IGN hate it. They like bad games and hate good games, so it makes sense.

• Pirate it if there is good feedback from the Codex. I don't want to waste my time downloading shit,

• Pirate it if Gamespot/IGN hate it. They like bad games and hate good games, so it makes sense.

• Read the Codex news/reviews about it. I'm not interested in it but it should provide good lulz.

• Ignore everything Fallout 3 related. It's too painful to compare this abomination to Fallout 1 and 2

• Ignore it completely. I've never been a fan of the Fallout series.

• Ignore it completely. I've never been a fan of Bethesda.

• Perform some sort of terrorist act to hurt the game's release.

• Perform some sort of terrorist act to hurt/kill members of Bethesda.

• Total voters

crakkie

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
A. The games are out of print. For example, Arcanum, Planescape Torment etc
Arcanum is not out of print. Torment is $10 on ebay. So, greed or sloth?

And missing poll option: "Do nothing. Await post-release invasion from ESF boards."

Deleted member 7219

You do know that money you spend on Ebay doesn't go to the publishers or developers, don't you? Ebay takes a slice, the rest goes to the seller.

As for GoGamer, that's an American website. I'm British.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

play farcry 2 and/or crysis warhead and/or S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Clear Sky ? all 3 are most likely better shooters than fallout 3, most likely provide more alternative routes to complete your missions and while they wont have dialogue ..... looking at F3 dialogue screens doesnt exactly make that an advantage in favour of Fallout 3 ^^

hopefully around that time we ll also finally get Purgatorio for the RPG needs or at least clarity that its now definitly vapourware.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'll do like I did with the previous two Bethesda games I bought:

I'll buy it right away and be all excited about it. I'll install it, tweak it to just the way I like it, play it probably way too much at first, make a post here proclaiming it to be not so bad, then abandon it about two months later and think to myself, "What the fuck was I thinking?"

So yeah, the first choice.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ignore it. I have no interest at all in Fallout 3. The End.

I am however looking forward to VD's review of Fallout 3. I just feel sorry that he will have to play this piece of shit.

bgillisp

Scholar
Read the codex reviews, if the reviews are decent maybe get it. Otherwise avoid the game like the plauge. Though I may still grab it for $4.99 or $9.99 like I did with Dungeon Lords just to see how much of a train wreck the game really is

Of course, considering that Morrowwind is still not that cheap that may be a long wait. But I could care less if it as bad as it sounds it will be

Balor

Arcane
I will pirate it, see if it can be fixed (which is possible - unlike the fact that it's playable 'out of the box') and, if there is nothing a couple (gigs) of mods can't fix - buy it.
If not - I'll just delete this POS and forget it like a nightmare.

MrDomino

Novice
I'll probably rent it for 360, just to see it in action. Pirating it just seems like to much trouble with all the modern copyright protection and whatnot (I'm such an amateur pirate, I know). I must admit, though, some of that limited edition schwag looks pretty cool. I may just end up buying the limited edition and use the game disc as a cool Fallout themed coaster.

1eyedking

Erudite
ghostdog said:
I really can't say. The very thought that a new fallout game will be published is enough to turn my simple life upside down... When I first heard the news , I couldn't sleep , eat , think.... Now the fact that it's not made by the original team and it's made by Behtesda who will turn it into an FPS, produces a rage of unthinkable magnitude. Thoughts of mass murder and mayhem constantly occupy my mind... DEATH AND DESTRUCTION TO FALLOUT DEFILERS ! But... it's named Fallout... there might be a slim chance it will tun out good... there might be a slight chance some of the primal magic of the original games will still appear. Even then name itself has magical qualities.... [Fallout][Fallout][Fallout] the voices are chanting inside my head... THe dreams are now more vivid, more chaotic...The maddnes ... the screams . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo. [Lobotomy]

I vote Kingcomrade.
Best post in this thread.

There, I've made a significant contribution for this gutter-forum so let's call it a day.

The Dude

Liturgist
I will pirate it, see if it can be fixed (which is possible - unlike the fact that it's playable 'out of the box') and, if there is nothing a couple (gigs) of mods can't fix - buy it.
If not - I'll just delete this POS and forget it like a nightmare.

DefJam101

Arcane
I will pre-order a copy, wait in line for 3 hours to get mine, then immediately rip open the packaging, snap the DVD in half, and light the box on fire. If I'm lucky I will be assaulted by angry Beth fanboys.

I'll show you guys the scars. Well, the bruises.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
DefJam101 said:
I will pre-order a copy, wait in line for 3 hours to get mine, then immediately rip open the packaging, snap the DVD in half, and light the box on fire. If I'm lucky I will be assaulted by angry Beth fanboys.

I'll show you guys the scars. Well, the bruises.
EXTREME!1!

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
I'm normally pretty strongly anti-piracy, and since the xbox came out I have only even considered pirating games that I wanted to try out, or games that started life on the xbox or 360, but bethsoft is a special case. With Oblivion I downloaded multiple torrents hoping to snag one of the dummy copies publishers use to gauge the level of piracy for games. Hopefully if the piracy numbers look large enough, they'll start using some really horrible DRM that will actually cost them sales.

Redeye

Arcane
Azael said:
Nothing. Fallout died a long time ago and I've grown to accept that. Didn't bother with Tactics, didn't bother with PoS, so why should I bother with this?

Tactics has the best construction set of any Fallout game to date.

Have you tried the Wasteland conversion?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:
Well, let's say that you are not interested in an ok PA game that happened to be a shitty Fallout game. Fair enough, but then why pirate it at all? Because you still want to play it?
There won't be a demo. Some might not want to pay Beth money for raping Fallout. Just some reasons apart from being too mean to pay full price for a game they want to be good but expect to suck. And don't expect such a cheap person to rent only to demo it.

Me personally: While I'm interested in your and the mainstream's reviews they usually don't correspond to my own preferences.

MrDomino said:
I'll probably rent it for 360, just to see it in action. Pirating it just seems like to much trouble with all the modern copyright protection and whatnot (I'm such an amateur pirate, I know). I must admit, though, some of that limited edition schwag looks pretty cool. I may just end up buying the limited edition and use the game disc as a cool Fallout themed coaster.
Can't plants try to be a bit less obvious these days? In the good old days they at least tried to get around 50 posts before they "subtly" started advertising.
That being said: The Fallout 3 Survival Edition looks great! For the low low price of only $119.99 You get the Epic, gritty, immersive, PA famous Fallout 3 + the CE's content + YOUR OWN PERSONAL PIPBOY300!!!! That's right folks, for mere 50$ more the good folks from Bethesda throw in a PIPBOY3000! It might look like a digital clock but for a true Fallout-fan it is so much more.
You can pre-order the Survival Edition right here:
http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Amazon- ... 457&sr=1-1

And for all those who only love Fallout but are not true fans they can pre-order here:
http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Collect ... 613&sr=1-5

PS: Pirating will not be possible and renting is for cheap fags.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Really? First we don't know whether the game is good or bad.

Yes, we do. If you can repeatedly make bad games with your own brand and make millions, you're certainly not going to try harder with someone else's brand.

Antagonist

Liturgist
I'll wait for VD's NMA review. Otherwise I'm completely apathetic towards the game. Right now I wouldn't even buy it from the bargain bin as my leisure time is too valuable to me to waste it with shitty games while there are still a lot of potentially good games (new and old) which I still haven't tried out. All those people here who want to "stickin' it to The Man" by pirating Fallout 3 make me cringe though. There seems to exist an unhealthy obsession with Fallout 3 although it should be clear by now that only the brand remains from the original Fallouts. Why is it so hard for people to let go?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saint Proverbius said:
Yes, we do. If you can repeatedly make bad games with your own brand and make millions, you're certainly not going to try harder with someone else's brand.
True to some degree. However, comparing to Oblivion, Morrowind was a masterpiece. The design quality drop was significant. I'm not saying that Morrowind was a great game - it wasn't - but it was a much better game, so we aren't talking about a series of bad games here.

It's true that Oblivion sold a shitload, but it sold on hype alone and I'm sure that Bethesda is well aware of it. I don't think that they can pull another Oblivion again. This trick doesn't work twice. So, it's quite possible that Fallout 3 will be a much better game than Oblivion and a better game than Morrowind. There are quite a few facts supporting this theory (mutually exclusive options and quests, skill checks in [poorly written] dialogue lines, some consequences, etc).

Shannow said:
Vault Dweller said:
Well, let's say that you are not interested in an ok PA game that happened to be a shitty Fallout game. Fair enough, but then why pirate it at all? Because you still want to play it?
There won't be a demo. Some might not want to pay Beth money for raping Fallout.
So? Don't play it then. I can perfectly understand that some people don't want to play a raped Fallout game, but that's not what we are talking about. Even at this point you have enough information to decide whether or not you want to play this game.

Me personally: While I'm interested in your and the mainstream's reviews they usually don't correspond to my own preferences.
What are your preferences then?

Just butting in here....

True to some degree. However, comparing to Oblivion, Morrowind was a masterpiece.

I wouldn't go that far. Morrowind was okay, but it was more how much the design in Oblivion was godawful than how great a piece of work Morrowind was. I'd be more likely to say that compared to Oblivion, Morrowind was a complex and interesting game.

It's true that Oblivion sold a shitload, but it sold on hype alone and I'm sure that Bethesda is well aware of it.

That's an assumption I'd like to believe. In fact, it's very likely true that Bethesda knows Oblivion has no depth. But what Bethesda knows doesn't matter here. It's what the gaming public *knows*. They *know* Oblivion is already in the top tens of Top 100 Best Games of All Time. They *know* it was released to nigh-universal critical acclaim. Many *know* it as the best RPG with the most options they've ever played. They don't necessarily need hype anymore when the hype from Oblivion has somehow mutated into this belief that it was a spectacular game. They've used hype, and general ignorance, to set the benchmark for quality. Now their hyped trash is "a brilliant gaming masterpiece". Non-Bethesda examples of this include God of War, Metal Gear Solid 2-4, Final Fantasy, and Halo 2. The hype just mutates and self-perpetuates. Pretty brilliant strategy.

I don't think that they can pull another Oblivion again.

I think they already are. The media has everything hook, line, and sinker. They've generally convinced the gaming populous that this game is "awesome" and have scored a metric shit-ton of preorders. And even if they ship out Oblivion with Guns, they won't have a dissatisfied customer base, because said customers already think Oblivion is the best RPG ever. Even if they have a few "that was disappointing", or "those Fallout fans were right" threads across forums or on public review sites, it won't matter because they'll be laughing their way to the bank.

You think people have gotten savvy to Bethesda's tricks, and I say you're right. But those people are few in number, and there's always fresh fish.

This trick doesn't work twice.

Final Fantasy is now on the thirteenth main title. It can go far more than twice.

So, it's quite possible that Fallout 3 will be a much better game than Oblivion and a better game than Morrowind.

But it will still be a Bethesda game, full of the same tropes and pitfalls as every other one.

There are quite a few facts supporting this theory

Fargoth's Gold? Anything Mr. Smiley Face Dude ever said?

Even at this point you have enough information to decide whether or not you want to play this game.

Yes, and no. I think some people have the information to make that decision, depending on their preferences, and others don't. A person only concerned with core mechanics has everything they need, but a more content-focused man like myself is in a bit of a haze here. I see some good ideas, but I also see those ideas either clouded in stupidity, or counterbalanced by terrible other ideas. I can stomach C-grade shooter combat, poor dialogue, and the butchery of the setting if there was a good ratio of interesting content to pointless busyquests. Thing is, I have no idea what the quality of the content is and nobody is giving me a good idea. Sure, Vault 106 sounds good at best (despite seeming too much like a System Shock ripoff with an annoying twist) but how do I know what the rest of it will be like? Is it going to be one or two interesting locations and a sea of uninteresting ones a la Morrowind and Oblivion? If so, it will be a wasted purchase, and probably a waste of time as a rental. And this i the type of thing a preview or a demo can't tell you, and most reviews won't even think of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom