Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

What % of people will finish Torment?

• Nobody.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 40%

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 30%

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • 20%

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • 10%

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Less than 10%

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Ban this alcoholic

Votes: 16 15.2%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So it's been almost a year for Pillars of Eternity. It's at 8% so far.

I'm sure the fact that the game is shit, the combat boring and the plot quite uninspired has nothing to do with that.

Torment has 13 fights, many of which dont need to be fought, allegedly. Some can just be fucked around with etc. And it's shortish?

I so far refrained from reading much about the game, because it's some kind of policy I have. Reading up too much before release will both spoil the game for me, and create expectations, which are usually not met. Well, you just managed to kill what little anticipation I was feeling for ToN, and it was at an all-time low already. Hell I hope it's better than that, I even backed it. Sigh.

So do you think the numbers will be high?

Dunno. What was that 8% figure based on? Steam?

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
13 battles? In the whole game? Is this confirmed or a random guess of some sort?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most non-action "old school" RPGs have lousy completion rates. This one's gonna be shorter than D:OS, W2 or PoE, though, so I'd guess 20% or so.

Bonerbill

Augur
I'm sure the fact that the game is shit, the combat boring and the plot quite uninspired has nothing to do with that.

I love how you PoE haters jump to these faggot ass conclusions. You may want to check out the standard completion rate for other CRPGs like Divinity Original Sin.

Most people just don't finish their games.

Bloodwyn

It will be even less than PoE; because WL2 and PoE will lure in more people to play Torment, who will be
surprised that they are exspected to read more than two coherent sentences.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I love how you PoE haters jump to these faggot ass conclusions. You may want to check out the standard completion rate for other CRPGs like Divinity Original Sin.

It really seems you're confusing conclusions for causes. But hey, edge on, and by all means, please mention more fairly insignificant games to support your argument.

Fairfax

Arcane
I suspect the "conflicts", the extremely wordy dialogue and perhaps even the turn-based combat will turn a lot of casuals off. I also think it'll run like shit and have little VA.
Overall it depends on how many casuals will fall for the PST hype and purchase a game that's (if it's anything like PST) the very opposite of what they enjoy.

I expect casuals to play for more than 2 hours, which prevents refunds, until they reach a point where they decide they don't like it and/or will wait for the Director's Closer's cut.* Still, it was always meant to be shorter than a game like PoE, so the completion rate should be slightly better.
A year on? I'd say ~10-15% tops, unless it's extremely short.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm one of the 0.13% of players who have TCS on Pillars. I beat the shit out of that game just so that I'd never have to look at its boring ass again, ever. I suspect the reason why Pillars is only at 8% completion is because it's a batshit boring banal ass game. But, this isn't about Pillars, this is about Torment.

I think Torment will get about a 30% (+/-~5%) completion rate. Why? Because it's interesting. Something that PoE lacked. I think that every crisis is going to at least have a decent enough design that it's not going to be shit boring like every single PoE encounter. It's going to go beyond 'generic fantasy land' and may actually have something to pull us into the game. This game also has a pretty good ruleset and background already created for it and they are working with the person who created it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
After seeing the start a bit I think very little number will finish it, too much pointless reading for modern crowd.
Actually the percentage will be opposite to number of sales. More sales = less % of people will finish it.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I haven't even played Pillars much because I'm waiting for the entire game to be done (expansions, and maybe even a re-release enhanced edition or something).

I just started Wasteland 2 after the DC came out too.

I wonder if I'll put Torment on hold.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
aren't you that moron who wanted to make a series of retrospectives on dragon age?

i voted 75% btw

btw how is it possible this game only has 13 fights O.o

Prime Junta

Not gonna have a high completion rate. It requires reading and paying attention and has unintended consequences and stuff.

(Depends on how long it is though. If the beta is 40% of the content, it's not gonna be a very big game. Could easily be something you can finish in a weekend, in which case the numbers will be better.)

---

Arcane
Lol, is that percentage a conjecture, or they said that the full game will be 50h long, and then that the beta is 10h long and actually covers 40% of the game? :smug:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

DOS was every bit as boring as POE. By early mid game the paint watched me dry... Couldn't finish any of those 2 games.

I actually believe that companies should stop hiring bullshit designers and start hiring encounter/combat (system) designers as this area is incredibly lacking in new RPGs. Throwing around few mobs for shits and giggles will not get people interested in the game. I believe that it is the main reasong why people don't finish newer games, but replay older games time and time again. I also believe that the reason for this is that the 1990 game designers had PnP knowledge or were a fans of it before getting their game industry jobs and that knowledge translate into better combat design and encounters. They actually understood what they were doing. Therefore, people actually finished the games they made. Nowadays, ADHD and rimming management is sufficient to land a gaming industry job. For this reason alone I will not buy a single RPG from a dev team that does not play PnP or similar games as results will always disappoint, because lack of experiance and knowledge translates into terrible ideas.

Last edited:

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
Below 5%.

The game follows flawed principles, it will be simply bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom