Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your one, perfect gaming moment like?

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Got an Apogee pack as a small kid with most of the games, playing through Duke Nukem 1, Commander Keen and Secret Agent was by far my fondest memory of gaming.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Ultima Underworld.

There are some games that require to upgrade. Move from a BBC B to a C64. Move to an Amiga. Move to a PC.

Upgrade your PC to play..

Ultima Underworld was just simply an amazing exploration game. It even got my brother to playing a RPG. Before that Elite on BBC and Doom on PC were the only games he would ever play.

In fact we took turns and when it was dinner time we would eat at the computer table watching the other play. It was amazing as we would talk about what had happened, what would happen next and also talk about the various puzzles in the game including the secret of those hidden areas.

Elite, Sentinel, Bards Tale, Ultima IV, Daggerfall, Jack Nicklaus Unlimited, Championship Manager. Morrowind too.

TV Sports Football led to Front Page Football where I joined an on line league and took the worst, most rapped squad in that league, the NY Jets, and won two Superbowls in an age of transparency. There was drafts and designing your own plays and situational play calling, and everything.

But forget all that. The perfect gaming moment in all those years would be exploring the realms of Dungeon Master. The perfect dungeon crawler which has never been surpassed.

I upgraded from C64 to Amiga to play that specific game as my mate had it on Atari and I fell in love.

Imagine it. Young. In the dark. Exploring, not knowing what was around the corner. Killing beasts using the door. Eating their remains. Running. There was a lot of running. It was so immersive.

That moment in the unknown, the fear and dread, the excitement.

I was in the zone.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Exploding Yxunomei in 2 seconds:

obliteration_zpsfcrnxmnn.png

mitochondritom

Educated
Entering Baldurs Gate for the first time. My brother and I tried to mangle our way through it aged 11 and 10 respectively. My dad had borrowed it from a mate but had zero desire to play an RPG, but he let me install it on my computer and I copied it with the CD-RW. We rarely made it to Nashkel before the game was unplayable due to hordes of flaming fist troops took our crappy NPCs out due to persistant peasant killing. In particular we always tried to get to the carnival as the armourer there had thievable plate armour. We were terrified of the mines and so never went in them, but I think around 12 or 13 years old I decided to try to beat the game. I think the moment I realised you could actually go inside the city of Baldurs Gate is one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me. To have spent something like 2 years playing a game and then realise that massive city was actually there in it just blew my mind. Funnily enough I never got on so well with Baldurs Gate 2, but my brother was obsessed with it.

Can't decide between two moments.

The first one being in late '96 or early '97, going on Novyi Arbat st. and begging my mom to buy me non-pirated Daggerfall (we had a really shitty rip selling on radio markets back than). She agreed, and my perfect gaming moment was opening the box (it was my first original, non-pirated game), installing it, beating the first dungeon and then going to Daggerfall and getting lost in a vast gameworld. I still remember the sound of my horse's hoofs and the music played when it snowed in the game.

The second moment is three years later, it was winter. I'm going to Kuznetskyi Most st., and buying a pirated, but good quality copy of Planescape Torment. I'm not a highschooler anymore, I'm a student, so I proudly buy it with my meager stipend. I'm taking it back home, installing - and suddenly I'm lost for the world for nearly month or so. Mortuary, Morte, Sigil Slums, Annah, those little stories everywhere, Mark Morgan's music, the Sigil itself - it was magic.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
1. 'twas a dark and stormy night (IRL) and I was on Skara Brae in Ultima 7 surrounded by ghosts. Very spooky story and then I had to return to Alagner to give him the answer...
2. All of the game Millennium 2.2. If that game hadn't had an ending I'd still be playing it now.
3. Warhead and the Berserker.

Only one RPG out of three. I'll have to come back to this with a better answer.

TOUGH GUY

Educated
The moment I got my juvenile hands on all five discs of Baldur's Gate from a classmate of mine, and this started playing. That was pretty special. There were other moments, of course, both before and after. But to this day whenever I hear that tune, I know it's time for adventure. Great thread.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The moment I got my juvenile hands on all five discs of Baldur's Gate from a classmate of mine, and this started playing. That was pretty special. There were other moments, of course, both before and after. But to this day whenever I hear that tune, I know it's time for adventure. Great thread.

That song and the dragon fight song in Baldur's Gate 2 give me the shivers.

Wierd Beard

Novice
Dungeon Master on the Amiga 500. Wandering around the Hall of Champions for ages, procrastinating on who to take down into the depths. First steps down into the darkness and hearing that mummy stumbling around. 9 year old me was shitting myself. Incredible the atmosphere that game created. Never finished it when I was younger (purple worms with fanged ass mouths were my limit). Had to come back years later, when I was older and braver to finish what I started.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh man yeah Torment too. I remember how I was talking about what I did every day with a close friend in school, he was also playing it in the same time.
He happened to be my DM at the time too, great times :salute:
Was incredible also to find out how faster the loading times get if you copy the cds in your pc and change the paths accordingly.

*This is one of the best threads ever, great nostalgia trips

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm old so the memory isn't what it used to be, but 25+ years later it's gotta be Monkey Island ... just all of it.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Most likely Mechwarrior 2, on the summer of 1996 I think. I was 13 and when I played too much, afterwards I'd move my body like a 'Mech, robotically.

One year later I picked up the fantastic "Blood of Kerensky" trilogy by an author that may be familiar to you, Michael Stackpole.

On Christmas '97 I got Mechwarrior: Mercenaries and the fateful Microprose Magic: the Gathering game. Nice Christmas.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I'm old so the memory isn't what it used to be, but 25+ years later it's gotta be Monkey Island ... just all of it.

I was thinking of the sword fight insults in Monkey - that stuff was just innovation. But not THE MOMENT. Close.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
-Christmas Break 2014: Put yourself in the shoes of a modern 14 year old consoletard. I didn't have a PC. I only wanted two things for Christmas: A laptop to play games on (we didn't/don't have space for a desktop and desk) and a copy of the Elder Scrolls Anthology. As you might be able to imagine, I didn't sleep at all the whole week. First install was Morrowind, followed by Arena. Luckily, I went into Morrowind knowing what to expect, but Arena... Well, Arena sucked me in. My first character was a bard who escaped from the sewers with almost no health and a deadly disease. I hadn't played any ES game where disease could kill, so I went on my merry way to the inn, and died soon after. I was in love.

-My first game of DnD. Summer 2015, it was sweltering for New York and I was hanging out with my friends Steve and Noah. Steve always talked about this fun game called DnD, so when we were wondering what the hell to do after wandering for hours and then swimming in his pool, I jokingly suggested DnD. So, he got out his DM stuffs and sat us down in his front room. He made us roll characters. This party was without casters of any kind. We wandered out of the first town and almost died to some spiders. Following which, we were warned to beware the Beholders. I didn't care. We followed some guy to a mountain where we all almost died to three(!) Beholders. Luckily, Steve had no books and so our level 1 party didn't get slaughtered. (I think my thief had 25 health and 21 strength.) Little did Steve realize I would fall in love with DnD and PnP as a whole. Now, I annoy him into playing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Got an Apogee pack as a small kid with most of the games, playing through Duke Nukem 1, Commander Keen and Secret Agent was by far my fondest memory of gaming.

Oh man, those old shareware games were my childhood.

Commander Keen, Secret Agent, Crystal Caves, Jazz Jackrabbit, Duke Nukem 1 and 2, and some others I don't remember anymore.

Fun times.

-Christmas Break 2014: Put yourself in the shoes of a modern 14 year old consoletard. I didn't have a PC. I only wanted two things for Christmas: A laptop to play games on (we didn't/don't have space for a desktop and desk) and a copy of the Elder Scrolls Anthology. As you might be able to imagine, I didn't sleep at all the whole week. First install was Morrowind, followed by Arena. Luckily, I went into Morrowind knowing what to expect, but Arena... Well, Arena sucked me in. My first character was a bard who escaped from the sewers with almost no health and a deadly disease. I hadn't played any ES game where disease could kill, so I went on my merry way to the inn, and died soon after. I was in love.

-My first game of DnD. Summer 2015, it was sweltering for New York and I was hanging out with my friends Steve and Noah. Steve always talked about this fun game called DnD, so when we were wondering what the hell to do after wandering for hours and then swimming in his pool, I jokingly suggested DnD. So, he got out his DM stuffs and sat us down in his front room. He made us roll characters. This party was without casters of any kind. We wandered out of the first town and almost died to some spiders. Following which, we were warned to beware the Beholders. I didn't care. We followed some guy to a mountain where we all almost died to three(!) Beholders. Luckily, Steve had no books and so our level 1 party didn't get slaughtered. (I think my thief had 25 health and 21 strength.) Little did Steve realize I would fall in love with DnD and PnP as a whole. Now, I annoy him into playing.
Shit, now I feel old.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finding out Wayward Son is somehow younger than me.

But honestly, it would have to be playing Fire Emblem on the GBA when I was 6 or so. Fun stuff.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron

Commander Keen, Secret Agent, Crystal Caves, Jazz Jackrabbit, Duke Nukem 1 and 2, and some others I don't remember anymore.

Fun times.

Hocus Pocus, Bio Menace and Halloween Harry also owned. Awesome introduction to gaming!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Fun times.

Hocus Pocus, Bio Menace and Halloween Harry also owned. Awesome introduction to gaming!

Ah yes, Hocus Pocus and Bio Menace! Those two were actually my favourites!

I fucking loved the magical atmosphere of Hocus. It got me into fantasy early on.

Dux

Arcane
Entering Baldurs Gate for the first time. My brother and I tried to mangle our way through it aged 11 and 10 respectively. My dad had borrowed it from a mate but had zero desire to play an RPG, but he let me install it on my computer and I copied it with the CD-RW. We rarely made it to Nashkel before the game was unplayable due to hordes of flaming fist troops took our crappy NPCs out due to persistant peasant killing. In particular we always tried to get to the carnival as the armourer there had thievable plate armour. We were terrified of the mines and so never went in them, but I think around 12 or 13 years old I decided to try to beat the game. I think the moment I realised you could actually go inside the city of Baldurs Gate is one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me. To have spent something like 2 years playing a game and then realise that massive city was actually there in it just blew my mind. Funnily enough I never got on so well with Baldurs Gate 2, but my brother was obsessed with it.

Quite. Quitely so. Quitely so-ington.

I think - still to this day - Baldur's Gate remains one of more impressive examples of a well-realised city. Packed with content and subtly lending the sense of imposing scale. Not like some other "cities" in other games *coughNWN2cough*.

Exploring Vivec in Morrowind was pretty mind-blowing as well. Especially doing so with the kick-ass Morrowind theme playing in the background. It set the tone quite beautifully.

Running around half-blind by blight storms on Red Mountain and then finally emerging victorious into the sunlight after your battle with Dagoth Ur, seeing Red Mountain clearly for the first time. That's a good memory.

Morkar Left

Some of my best gaming experiences / times were
- playing Wing Commander 1 as a kid on my Amiga. I had a joystick similar to the one in the ingame graphics. I putted it between my legs like in the game while wearing an old moped helmet and a jacket. Every night all night long for a whole week till completion.
- playing Starflight 2 as a kid on Amiga without having a clue about English. Flipping a lot of pages in the dictionary which was some help but still hard to understand with a lot of alien slang in the game. Awesome. My first original game box.
- Playing Privateer without end. My second original game box. It took hours and help from my neighbour to get it to work on the 486.
- playing and finishing Amberstar as a 13 year old
- Playing BG1 the whole summer skipping a lot of outdoor activities but loved every minute of it. Couldn't stop playing, not even for eating. Sleeping was just a few hours and the first thing I did when wake up was firing up the pc and continuing to play while eating breakfast. Showering was somewhare in between the day. I think. Maybe...
- Gothic 1 going back to the old camp and killing Gomez. One of the most satisfying kills in a game for me.
- Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries. Lend from a friend who got it with his graphics card. Awesome game that had everything I would have dreamt of from a Battletech game (except maybe running around as human). Never gave the game back to my friend but he never gave me back a full price title, either. Can't really remeber which game it was but I think it was Age of Empires II. I guess he got the better deal but still totally worth for me *shrug*

nomask7

Arcane
Definitely returning to the mine colony in G2. I was amazed that they really did it. You're standing where G1 starts looking down to the valley -->nostalgia overload.
Also the way to reach the old camp was brilliant. Having to run through this huge horde of Orcs knowing that one of them easily could fuck you up.
Because of this danger around you the Paladins camp also has such a cozy atmosphere. This whole trip only lasts a few minutes but it's amazing.

It lasted a few minutes for you, but it lasted a couple of hours for me. I hadn't played the first Gothic, so I didn't know where the castle was, and I was absent-mindedly using the default view distance, so I couldn't see the castle until I was really close. Also, I missed the shortcut via the cave that the game expected you to use. It was pretty intense. I climbed all over the mountains and whatnot. Good times.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom