Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your most disapointing RPG

GrainWetski

Arcane
Was there anything more disappointing than Numenera? It was supposed to be the next Torment but ended up a rushed mediocrity...
The writing was on the wall from the get go, so I'm not sure how anyone could ever have had any hope for the game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Realms of Arkania HD.
I expected a prodigiously prosperous mess of bugs but they fixed most of the cool stuff by the time I got to playing it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My biggest dissapointment for me must be:
banner_918.jpg

The first one was actually quite fun. The second... so bad it almost hurt.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Pillars of Eternity followed by Dragon Age: Origins, then Mass Effect 3

Note that I actually finished Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 3. I did not finish Pillars of Eternity.

Neverwinter Nights was also very disappointing as well (but I finished it and never played it again, like DA:O and ME3).

So you enjoyed Mass effect 1 &2?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Interesting, I could finish DA:O and ME:1, but not POE. ME:2 left me level-drained, on a personal level, so I haven't bothered since.

Those rocket-grenade projectiles in ME:1 were pretty great though, I was sad to hear they made them into traditional grenades in the later games.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
ME1 combat mechanics are better than 2 & 3 IMO, even if the movement is a bit floaty. Off the hip sniper headshots from across the map are possible and absolutely thrilling when you hit them. There's a fair amount of retarded dialogue though and the relationship stuff is pretty laughable.

ME2 combat was worse, but I liked most of the cast and enjoyed playing it. The ending sequence C&C was executed reasonably but the final boss was stupid.

ME3 combat felt a little bit smoother than ME2 but lots and lots of filler content, and that ending is just inexcusable. Nullifies pretty much every choice you ever made in the game.

Martyr

Arcane
I'm one of those people, who couldn't finish Pillars of Eternity. I don't even know why, but every second of it felt like I was wasting my time. I tried to beat Pillars 3 times but it's just not possible; I guess I'd just die of boredom before I could complete this game.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What was your most disappointing RPG?

Fallout 3. No contest.

It did just about everything wrong in the face of what it was supposed to be a sequel to. If it was called Todd Howard's Twilight Zone 2000 and had nothing to do with Fallout it could've been a solid "Yeah, shit's shit, not gonna bother", but alas...

It wasn't a bad game per se

I'm not sure if i'm getting it confused with Betrayal at antara(spelling?) but if you're talking about the shitty fixed camera game then yes it was terrible.
Yeah, I'm talking about the fixed camera game. I haven't played it in 20 years while I've replayed Krondor a number of times since release.

I've never played Antara, which was by all accounts closer in gameplay spirit, but didn't have the Midkemia license.

Master

Arbiter
Witcher 2... QTEs, centered camera instead of TW1s GoW style(why?), listed inventory instead of icons, climbing animation (was that shit really necessary?), unresponsive livestock, Geralts ponytail, Geralts running animation, Geralt not white enough, no cards, combat, graphics was blurry shit and blood looked fake as fuck. Everything worse than TW1. After a promising start, a complete decline of Poland.
Edit
Oh yeah, the music was worse too.
Edit 2
Also, some ridiculous "stealth" sections, but only when the devs say so, you can't sneak on your own. Wtf?
First game made a serious impression, and I really expected something for the second one... Total disapointment.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Wake of the Ravager. I didn't love any PC RPG until Darksun: Shattered Lands, and WoR managed to drive me to quitting within an hour. The only sequels to inflict equal crushing despair on me are Star Control III and the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

iguana_trader

Novice
Fallout 3 - I did not follow the internet news about bethesda nad all that jazz yet, so I was genuinely hoping for a great game. The awful dialogues and SPECIAL system tacked on into the game without really being implemented (at least that is how it feels to me, they did not really use it well and that is why Fallout 4 is how it is mechanically) made me loathe Bethesda.
The second one would be Throne Of Bhaal - it is an incredibly boring slugfest with bad writing and the fighting is the same. Never finished it, but tried to a few times. I always dozed off at Amkethran. I knew this game was more actiony but it can't compete with Icewind Dale on that front (and many others really).

Mark Richard

Arcane
For me it would have to be Return to Krondor. It wasn't a bad game per se, but I went in blind and was expecting something at least comparable to BaK. Boy, was I wrong.
Return to Krondor probably deserves some recognition for being a fully voiced RPG in 1998, but aside from a neat Shadow of Innsmouth scenario in chapter 7, only the scatterbrained pacing stood out to me. Half the game is packed into the first three chapters, with an occasional 5 minute chapter dedicated to the real hero of the story who we hardly ever see.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
NWN2 OC was hyper disappointing too

I don't understand why more people haven't said NWN 2.

I mean when that scene happened in game when I played it I nearly died of cringe. That was also back in 2006, before I played Mass effect and DAO. If someone would of told me after NWN 1 and Morrowind back in 2002 how much worse things would get I wouldn't of believed them, but somehow as bad as those turds were all these companies somehow kept making worse games.

Cael

Arcane
NWN2 OC was hyper disappointing too

I don't understand why more people haven't said NWN 2.

I mean when that scene happened in game when I played it I nearly died of cringe. That was also back in 2006, before I played Mass effect and DAO. If someone would of told me after NWN 1 and Morrowind back in 2002 how much worse things would get I wouldn't of believed them, but somehow as bad as those turds were all these companies somehow kept making worse games.

I actually liked the interaction between Elanee, Neeshka and Khelgar in the early cutscenes. It is after you hit Neverwinter itself that things went downhill fast. I blame it on too many possible NPC combinations for the writers and animators to catch them all.

mondblut

Arcane
NWN, Morrowind, Dungeon Lords all reserved a special place in my own ice hell.

Wizardry 8 and M&M6 onwards were also a disappointment at first, but I learned to live with their impurity.

Single player campaign from NWN1. Sure, I learned to appreciate just how amazing the overall product was, and it remains an example of an entirely different direction that the MMORPG genre could have gone in (sort of a "manageably many-peopled online role playing game").

But that single-player game, ugh...especially because it wasn't marketed as a "sample mod to show DMs what the engine can do" - it was marketed as a proper game, because even then, Bioware's marketing didn't trust anyone to like rpgs .

That probably answers why people aren't saying NWN2, but even if NWN1 single player campaign had been good - you've forgotten how goddamn dry that time was. It's irrelevant to debate whether obsidian was taking a dump on my face, because I'd have thanked them for it anyway.

Shatterbrain

Novice
I almost feel sorry for the near 90% of storyfag fools ITT that went into NWN with plebian expectations of a CYOA when it was openly delivering a full on multiplayer D&D toolkit. My first encounter with it was a presentation on Tech TV, where a Dev made a quick module, and I was hooked. It delivered more than I ever expected. If you get some friends you might even find the OC is fun in multiplayer.

Obviously NWN2 was my greatest disappointment. :smug::butthurt:

Shatterbrain

Novice
My NWN2 dread started to set in when I tried out the toolset. Obsidian released it in advance of the game itself, and I left my computer on for several days straight to torrent it. I had when it would finish timed to the minute, and was there when it did. I booted it up and slowly discovered, on top of areas being MUCH more time-consuming to make, that basic major features were missing such as previews for item icons. At that point, I didn't yet know that they completely neutered the inventory system (including 2D icons that reflected their 3D models, which was genius). It was hard to tell anything about the game at all because the toolset was so obtuse (relative to NWN).

When I actually got the game, the UI was unresponsive, the camera was sluggish, it lagged like hell and crashed constantly. I discovered that 80% of the tracks were reused from NWN, which screamed low-budget. I tried some scripting and found almost nothing that worked in NWN worked in NWN2. I tried going online and found that I had to DL giant files which would need to be updated whenever the server did. And there was NO DM CLIENT.

Total buttdevastation - they turned their backs on the premise that made NWN a completely unique, indispensable experience, which even today hasn't been surpassed. And they threw those features under the bus to make a "hurrr cinematic" KOTOR knockoff.

It's slightly better today post-patch but it's still shit compared with how smooth, responsive and polished NWN is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom