Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your most disapointing RPG

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Baldur's Gate.

After the fantastic Gold-Box games, I thought real D&D adventures had returned. Boy, was I ever wrong.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Skyrim. I was hoping for, and the marketing campaign sort of promised it, that it'll be "better than Oblivion" and I also hoped for a return of some of the Morrowind's magic in world-building, lore and atmosphere. It failed, and I wrote off Bethesda as a company that'll ever again produce a worthy successor to Morrowind.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Everything D&D-based or inspired aside from PS:T. In other words: BGs, NWNs, KOTOR, DA:O, PoE, etc. are all crap.

I kept trying to see why those are so popular up until DA:O and kept getting disappointed. Then I gave up and assumed it's fans are simply retardos that crave fictional romances because they're insecure males in real life and moved on.
You've been posting on the RPG Codex since 2005, yet you've never played any of SSI's Gold Box games, or the various other D&D-based games released before the onset of Biowarean decline? :rpgcodex:

Silva

Arcane
Everything D&D-based or inspired aside from PS:T. In other words: BGs, NWNs, KOTOR, DA:O, PoE, etc. are all crap.

I kept trying to see why those are so popular up until DA:O and kept getting disappointed. Then I gave up and assumed it's fans are simply retardos that crave fictional romances because they're insecure males in real life and moved on.
You've been posting on the RPG Codex since 2005, yet you've never played any of SSI's Gold Box games, or the various other D&D-based games released before the onset of Biowarean decline? :rpgcodex:
You're right, I must rectify this. What game Gold Box do you recommend? I love the Dark Sun setting btw . Are it's games good?

Ninjerk

Arcane

You're right, I must rectify this. What game Gold Box do you recommend? I love the Dark Sun setting btw . Are it's games good?
There's a recent thread about the Dark Sun CRPG (I think by one of the oldfag Swedes) recently praising it to high heaven. I have it wishlisted on GOG, but some of the Goldbox collections look pretty good, too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
For the Gold Box games, I'd start at the beginning with Pool of Radiance, which I think is the best. The engine SSI developed for implementing AD&D game rules is generally better suited to lower-level play, and PoR additionally has an excellent non-linear structure. Although there's an obvious starting area in the slums right next to town, other locations are available (and feasible) from the beginning, and more open up as the game continues, in a free-form structure. Curse of the Azure Bonds, the next game in the Forgotten Realms series, was already beginning to run into issues dealing with more powerful magical effects, and it also bizarrely decided to remove wilderness exploration (you can only move automatically between a few locations on the world map) and also towns (reduced to just a menu); these changes to overworld exploration and towns were reverted in the rest of the Gold Box series. To be sure, CotAB is still a good game, and if you enjoy PoR you can continue with your characters into CotAB and then Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness.

The second-best Gold Box game is Champions of Krynn, in the Dragonlance campaign setting; it's more linear than PoR and ties into the Dragonlance novels & original adventure series, taking place after them. This is followed by Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn, which in my opinion make for a tighter and better Dragonlance Gold Box trilogy than the Forgotten Realms Gold Box quartet, though PoR is the single best game. If you aren't going to start with PoR, then start with CoK.

Gateway to the Savage Frontier and Treasures of the Savage Frontier are similar to the above games but generally regarded as less good.

There were also two Buck Rogers games released with the Gold Box engine, Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubes, with various changes in an attempt to accommodate a science-fiction, space-faring setting.

Neverwinter Nights adapted the Gold Box engine into a multiplayer on-line game, and it isn't fully playable today for obvious reasons.

Finally, Unlimited Adventures offered the Gold Box engine as a construction kit for people to create their own Gold Box games, and numerous adventures have been created with it over a quarter-century.

SSI released two games in the Dark Sun setting, Shattered Lands in 1993 and Wake of the Ravager in 1994, but these used a new game engine.

Aside from Neverwinter Nights and the Buck Rogers games, all of these should be available on GOG.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

I love the Dark Sun setting btw . Are it's games good?

I only played the first Dark sun when I was a kid(the 2nd didn't well as well, was buggier and much more rare) and it was very good for the time. Not sure if I'd be able to play it today but if you don't mind retro games with snes like graphics you'll probably enjoy them. Pretty good all around gameplay, story, setting ect.

I only owned a few of the gold box games, never played them much because I always found them too repetitive and there were other games I enjoyed more as a kid so I can't comment on those ones.

Deathsquid

Learned
Might & Magic 9

I kinda enjoyed the formula set/refined by the 6-7-8 parts of the series and was looking forward to MM9 improving it all even further, having a modern look and just being more of the same but better.

And then that thing happened.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Geneforge 3/4

First two games were wonderful example of open-world, open-story (more or less) RPG with "not-that-bad" combat system. When I start play G3, I see 5 small islands with awful travel system, bad boss fights breaking game rules (well, you fight with bad guy, almost kill him and then CUTSCENE he says 'bye' and go away through the wall. It was my first ragequit). G4 adds to this endgame content areas with 4000+ hp enemies. It was my first rpg, where I skip up to 20% of side content, because killing all these guys is so annoying.

Now I just begin G5, and I still doesn't sure about it. I'll finish it of course, but I hope G5 be more like G1/2.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Oblivion; I was hugely looking forward to it after Morrowind, but found I enjoyed the previous game more in every way.

Final Fantasy VIII; FFVII was my first JRPG and it was different enough for me to enjoy it greatly despite its flaws. For some reason I was expecting something mindblowing for the next game, but I pretty much hated FFVIII and don't really seem able to play these at all any more.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Probaby Gothic 3 and Lionheart.

Lionheart 100%. Kids these days think TTON and Wasteland 2 and Pillars were heartbreaking, and while they certainly did not live up to the extreme hype, they’ve got nothing on Lionnheart: Legacy of the Crusader when it comes to the art of disappointment.

Come closer, children, and I will tell you a tale of crushed hopes and broken dreams. For roughly two years leading up to its release, Black Isle had been promoting Lionheart as a kind of medieval alternate history successor to Fallout. It was going to have the SPECIAL system, skills galore, perks, the whole nine yards. You would be able to fight or talk or sneak your way through most situations. It would take place in the 1500s in a version of Europe that had been overrun by demonic hordes, and you yourself would be partially possessed by a demon, which would function as a kind of companion. You would meet cool historical figures like da Vinci who’d play important roles in the story. There would be multiple joinable factions, including the Spanish Inquisition. They had a whole detailed alternate history mapped out that I remember reading and rereading on the old Interplay website. In short, it sounded fucking awesome, even as we knew it would have Diablo style combat.

The great disappointment of Lionheart is that they actually made maybe 15-20% of that game, and I’d argue this is much worse than if the whole thing had been completely botched. They had enough RPG in there to make a solid demo, not great, but solid. However, once you finish that early content, it turns into a third-rate Diablo clone. Imagine if IWD2 had been released with only Targos as its sole hub (and been single character and had much worse combat and writing)—that’s Lionheart.

But because it started off okay, because it got so much hype, we felt compelled to keep playing in the hope that there would be more to it than a Diablo style dungeon crawl. Surely there had to be another real hub, didn’t there? But every time you pushed through another combat level, you just got to the next combat level. That’s all there was.

Normally when I’m a few hours into a game and hating each additional minute of it, I’ll stop playing. Lionheart tricked me into finishing it. In 2003, it was a dark herald of the decline to come, a terrifying microcosm of where the genre was headed.

The Kickstarter revival RPGs try and often fail to deliver on the promise of their predecessors, but it’s not like Pillars of Eternity or TTON give you a decent RPG experience for two or three hours and then turn into a poor man’s Diablo. Imagine if Pillars had come out with no Defiance Bay, no Dyrford, and no Twin Elms, if it was just Gilded Vale and then the endless paths of Od Nua. Then you’ll have a glimmer of understanding about what true disappointment looks like.
Did you follow the development of Lionheart on BIS's forums? Few people, outside of BIS PR and Community Managers, thought Lionheart was going to be good. It was a totally different studio, with dubious goals and poor communication with the fans.

I actually booted it up for the first time a few years ago, and my god, the degree of prosperness was astounding. DaVinci's workshop, the way large historical characters were written with a moden-ish (early 2000s) dialect, almost flippant.. I don't see the 15 to 20%.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
220px-Bloodstone_-_An_Epic_Dwarven_Tale_Coverart.png

Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale.
A Magic Candle spinoff, it seemed really cool when I bought it, but it was just cumbersome. I expected something like the Ultimas, while it turns out the MC series is full-on
crazyrobot.gif
, without good elements to compensate.

[edit] Then again...
Baldur's Gate.

After the fantastic Gold-Box games, I thought real D&D adventures had returned. Boy, was I ever wrong.
Not only was it a stunning heap of mediocrity, it somehow proved more popular than sliced bread. Mindboggling.

Last edited:

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Tides of Numanuma and Pillars of Eternity. And Lionheart.

Ocelot

Learned
* Inquisitor. It has it's strengths but it's such a clunky mess I couldn't finish it to save my life.

* The Witcher 2. Was urged to play this game by a lot of people. It's good but really not what I expected. Pretty bad as a role-playing game but good on other things.

* TES 5: Skyrim. It's fun for the first 5 hours, then it falls flat on it's face. A very shallow game with the most boring main quest I've ever played.

* Mass Effect 3. Adds nothing to the franchise, it's bad as an RPG, it emphasizes on combat way too much and fucks up it's own lore with it's conclusion. ME 1 and 2 made me like that universe, ME3 killed all of my interest within a few hours.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera and Tyranny.

Seeing reviewers fawn over those odourless piles of babystool made me feel like a bitter old fuck. Granted I was past the age of 25 but still.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I'd say numanuma, but I was expecting it to be mediocre at best from the go, so I wouldn't really count it as a letdown. In that sense, Wasteland 2 hit me harder.

VtM however... insufferable combat, shit map design, annoying amounts linearity. Mechanics such as stealth or persuasion are incredibly flat, and to top it, several quests overstay their welcome to the point of becoming boring.
It does have a shitload of memorable characters, the setting's great, and the voice acting might be amongst the top of any videogames ever, but it just isn't worth it.
Look into your hearts, you know I'm telling the truth.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I liked Dragon Age Origins. It wasn't a groundbreaking masterpiece, but I still enjoyed.

I played Dragon Age 2 day one. You know the rest.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Pillars of Eternity followed by Dragon Age: Origins, then Mass Effect 3

Note that I actually finished Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 3. I did not finish Pillars of Eternity.

Neverwinter Nights was also very disappointing as well (but I finished it and never played it again, like DA:O and ME3).

Cael

Arcane
220px-Bloodstone_-_An_Epic_Dwarven_Tale_Coverart.png

Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale.
A Magic Candle spinoff, it seemed really cool when I bought it, but it was just cumbersome. I expected something like the Ultimas, while it turns out the MC series is full-on
crazyrobot.gif
, without good elements to compensate.

[edit] Then again...
Baldur's Gate.

Not only was it a stunning heap of mediocrity, it somehow proved more popular than sliced bread. Mindboggling.
Magic Candle is very old school RPG. No handholding, no quest compasses, nothing. You basically have to find out everything yourself, which means consulting wizards and sages and the like to assemble the puzzle PIECES before you can even think about assembling the puzzle and solving the game. You have to even find out how to get to a specific city yourself, which sometimes takes several connecting boats to get to. All without the Internet.

I love seeing the new generation so-called "roleplayers" take one look at it and scream about how bad it is, how old, no quality of life, blah, blah, blah. Stick with your console games. It is more suited to your intellect.

For me it would have to be Return to Krondor. It wasn't a bad game per se, but I went in blind and was expecting something at least comparable to BaK. Boy, was I wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom