Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your most disapointing RPG

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I know that lore.

JDR13

Arcane
Not sure how anyone could be disappointed by Fable 3. After the first two games, what were you expecting?

Codex Year of the Donut
Dungeon Siege 3 was a massive disappointment.

I didn't read anything about the game before playing it. I simply expected a new dungeon siege game.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

eh many for me..

Fallout3-4
Dragon AGE 2
Pillars of eternity (i was expecting more)
Oblivion,Skyrim

Doktor Best

Arcane
Gothic 3

businessman-laying-down-fetal-position-260nw-141784282.jpg

Arthandas

Prophet
Was there anything more disappointing than Numenera? It was supposed to be the next Torment but ended up a rushed mediocrity...

Popular answer, but Oblivion. I would almost say, that I do consider this game to be to blame for my current trust issues.:negative:

I remember I was disappointed by Neverwinter Nights at first, I expected something like Baldurs Gate, not diablo. I got my enjoyment out of it eventually though, expansions and multiplayer were nice.

Was there anything more disappointing than Numenera? It was supposed to be the next Torment but ended up a rushed mediocrity...
Kickstarter updates were quite good at showing that this game absolutely isnt going to be any good.

Tancred

Learned
Witcher 3.

The low-fantasy atmosphere of W1? Quests like 'Vizima Confidential' that didn't hold your hand? The great alchemy system? The racy sex cards? Gone.

The writing, dialogue and branching story of W2? The compelling characters? The p. awesome visual design? The choices that were supposed to be important and carried over to W3? Binned.

What we got was Skyrim: Potato Edition - technically very good with high production values in most regards that completely blew Bethesda's feeble efforts away, but wasted on a stagnant open-world with themepark collectathon shit, crappy main story, bland or unlikeable characters (Bloody Baron excepted) and cardboard cutout villains. Plus mechanics/systems all got worse to accommodate brainpower-deficient consoletards. Thankfully it sold like hot cakes, ensuring CDPR will never improve on W1/2 let alone produce anything like them again. :negative:

The Witcher - The whole potion mixing gimmick was annoying

:nocountryforshitposters:

Oblivion - it was first Bethesda game that I tried, while I was only a teenager and thus much more tolerant for mediocrity. I was so traumatised that I have never tried to play another Bethesda game since then.

The Witcher 1 - seriously what was so great about this game? Running around in small areas full of respawning mobs (that atrocious swamp...)? Snoozing through a boring, basic combat system? Doing endless fetch quests while the main story only took off towards the end? No thanks. And the ending was borderline plagiarism (mutants under cover of a religious cult... sounds quite familar, doesn't it?)

Dragon Age Origins : maybe the worst of the lot, because I actually had high expectations for this one, which was (to my knowledge) the first game that posed as the true spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series, many years before that other fraud known as Pillows of Eternity. What I got instead was a dumbed-down grimdark Tolkien-like world, with an unimaginative story structure copy-pasted from Kotor 1 (3-4 boring hubs + end game). But what killed the game for me was the combat system, with its ridiculously bad variety (only 30 or so different types of opponents vs 100 and more in the Infinity engine games) and awful cooldowns, which created an ultra-repetitive gameplay.

And of course the more recent trinity of shame: PoE, Wasteland, Numenera... Numenera hurt the most, because of the discrepancy between what was promised and what we got instead: an inconsistent world full of weirdness for weirdness' sake, without a lot of connexion between its parts, torrents of aimless purple prose, irrelevant story with main characters and campanions who lacked personnality and charisma (whith the notable exeptions of Erritis and Inifere, but we know why), almost non-existent gameplay... If this was not a scam, then nothing is.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Not sure how anyone could be disappointed by Fable 3. After the first two games, what were you expecting?

I did not expect it to be a deep CRPG but a stupid but fun Hack and Slay like the original. Sadly the developers removed everything that made the first fun and and added more annoying junk systems.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
There wasn't one in particular but from the top of my head
Ultima 8:After Ultima 7 parts 1&2 we get this?.....:negative:

NWN I was so hyped about this one,the 3d successor to BG saga plus and then the single player campaign was just a pile of shit.At least we got some good modules out of the toolset

DX:IW nuff said

PoE Yeah baby time to go back to the glory days of Black Isle and Infinity engine,oh......:negative:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I played all the Infinity Engine games retrospectively, around about the time of IWD:2 being released, and after IWD:1 (still my favourite IE game, and one of my favourite games every) the sequel was a disappointment. Nothing compared to the disappointment of NWN, of course, but playing the two IWD games back to back it was clear the latter was rushed and disjointed.

I don't generally get too hyped about games any more. Probably if D:OS or PoE had been released right after the kickstarters instead of there being a multi-year wait then I'd have been disappointed, but I'd time to lose interest by then.

Obviously Ultima 8 goes without saying. I'd pretty much stopped playing games by U9 and it was more a case of rolls-eyes rather than disappointment.

Oblivion, to the extent that it was a sequel to one of my favourite games, although I still enjoyed it.

Arcanum. Lost interest quite quickly after preparing myself for a work of genius.

ToEE. Combat engine searching for a game.

Sorry, Troika, I love you really.

Arthandas: wouldn’t it be more fulfilling to prove me wrong with your own arguments rather than simply using the « shit » button? I admit I might have been too harsh in my judgement, but your reaction won’t help me change my position. And I would be interested to see where our views differ on what I have said (although I can already see that it’s not on Numenera^^).

Beastro

Arcane
Arthandas: wouldn’t it be more fulfilling to prove me wrong with your own arguments rather than simply using the « shit » button? I admit I might have been too harsh in my judgement, but your reaction won’t help me change my position. And I would be interested to see where our views differ on what I have said (although I can already see that it’s not on Numenera^^).

Reread much of what he said that was missing of it in W3.

I too liked the alchemy system, it encouraged preparation but was enough of a pain to help you not always do it that it became a crutch like buffing usually becomes in games. Combat I liked in that it minimized twitch mechanics without eliminating them. Timing was still needed, but you could relax more and focus on other things better. I also liked how the game was old school enough to allow outside thinking, like doing old school splitting of mob groups to take them on 1-2 at a time and not all at once, something that gaming has trying to eliminate ever since WoW made mob leashing to spawn the norm.

I'll also add the way the story/choices handled moral grey without going into "Everyone is a piece of shit" territory a well as the way the climax handled the overarching themes of the game (which I'd hoped would be the entire series too :( ) how the King of the Wild Hunt's argues for you being a agent of chaos an pawn of his too deluded in your Witcher principles to see clearly that isn't simply the enemy mindfucking with you.]

Doing endless fetch quests while the main story only took off towards the end?

The story of the game is oddly not driven by the main plot. It revolves around being a Witcher and doing your thing while that hang over and comes to a head at the end with the King confronting you over your Witcher principles that I mentioned above.

I hopped that would be a prelude to the series, that the sequel and others would have that too loom over as Geralt goes about doing his thing with the King's words hanging in his mind that no matter what he does he leaves ruin in his wake.

In a way, the way the story goes is a lot like the movie Jeremiah Johnson, which is slow and meandering, but as the end comes you begin to realize the thematic pace of the story and how it loops on itself. In the Witchers case, the slow pace also goes into the impact of what is said at the end, in the way that someone who thinks their doing good suddenly realizes they're doing the exact opposite does, it doesn't happen at once and the signs slowly creep up until it sinks in with a smash.

And the ending was borderline plagiarism (mutants under cover of a religious cult... sounds quite familar, doesn't it?)

And yet the ending isn't expactly the ending, it's just the final thing that sums up what the King says as well as highlighting that Geralt isn't someone out to save the world, that is beyond him and his job description and whatever happens 10,000 years down the line it too big and remote to deal with, and yet he has played a part in shaping someone in pursuing what he did without realizing the impact his influence had on them, said ignorance being another sign of the King's accusation.

Last edited:
In a way, the way the story goes is a lot like the movie Jeremiah Johnson, which is slow and meandering, but as the end comes you begin to realize the thematic pace of the story and how it loops on itself. In the Witchers case, the slow pace also goes into the impact of what is said at the end, in the way that someone who thinks their doing good suddenly realizes they're doing the exact opposite does, it doesn't happen at once and the signs slowly creep up until it sinks in with a smash.

Yeah, I remember this movie and its song "Jeremiah Johnson made his way into the mountains...";). A fair comparison indeed. In fact, I initially liked Geralt's loneliness in an hostile world full of medieval obscurantism, as depicted through the first chapter and its appropriate witch-hunting theme. This was a good introduction to Geralt’s day to day life, and it hooked me... which is why I was really disappointed in Chapters 2 and 3: I found the city environment to be too congested and less interesting. All I can remember from this long portion of the game is running around a lot without achieving much and seeing new things. IMO, this is where the main plot should have been tighter (and the fetch quest less invasive).

As for the combat, It’s true that the mechanics didn't get in the way of enjoyment, but excessive respawn surely did, as far as I’m concerned. I wish it would have been toned-down a lot in chapter 2-3 (the rest was bearable, but not these damn drowners in the swamp).

On a more positive note, chapter 4 was significantly better (returning to a more rural environment, with more variety and much better atmosphere), and I agree that the ending did a good job of wrapping-up the narrative threads, with an original twist (I certainly didn’t expect temporal paradoxes in a low-fantasy universe). The insidious build-up in chapter 4 through the interactions with Alvin was probably the best part of the game. But seeing the Order of the Crimson Rose to be revealed as a transposition of the Children of the Cathedral (in their methods and ambitions) hurt the originality of the ending for me. Even though, as you said, the true ending is afterwards, when Geralt realizes that even at his heroic peak (protecting the world from a tyrant and all), he could only clean up the mess he created, which means he could never change the world nor the way people see him. So, yeah, upon reflection, I concede that the ending was good, but the journey to get there frustrated me too much, sadly.

Gord

Arcane
Probably Neverwinter Nights (although expansions and esp. mods salvaged it to some extend).
I expected something like BG2, only even prettier, but got a lackluster, uninspired and linear story in an engine with ugly 3D graphics and generally bad art direction.

Betrayal at Krondor - I tried to play it a (not too long) while ago due to the praise it generally gets here and just found it clunky and aged horribly.
Dunno if the story picks up after chapter 2 (which is as far as I got), but I just was unmotivated to continue.

Dungeon Siege - if that even counts as an RPG. Anyway, while heralded as the next Diablo, it was just boring as fuck.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Everything D&D-based or inspired aside from PS:T. In other words: BGs, NWNs, KOTOR, DA:O, PoE, etc. are all crap.

I kept trying to see why those are so popular up until DA:O and kept getting disappointed. Then I gave up and assumed it's fans are simply retardos that crave fictional romances because they're insecure males in real life and moved on.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Everything D&D-based or inspired aside from PS:T. In other words: BGs, NWNs, KOTOR, DA:O, PoE, etc. are all crap.
I'd wager Wizardry must be crap by that metric as well, since every fantasy RPG ever made, especially the pioneers, can be argued to be a D&D ripoff.
And besides, the Gold Box games and EotB are great, and they're straight-up AD&D adaptations.
So I'd ask you where you draw the line, esp. since DA:O has very little to do with D&D, it has its own system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom