Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your most disapointing RPG

Ninjerk

Arcane
DX:IW

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
My friends told me I'd probably really enjoy Dragon Age: Origins.

I have new friends now.
Are they imaginary?

There were a lot of disappointments,Mass Erect 3,Dragon age 2,Wasteland 2,Numanuma and a few others. Still they are were kind of expected and didn't come as a surprise. The games that broke my heart are Might and magic IX & X. The first one i was young and didn't know in what shit state the devs were,for the second i was exited and it turned out a half assed blobber in the nu ubishit verse.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
Hmm let me think...

bdVz0lL.jpg

Cael

Arcane
Myst, Kings Quest 7, Ultima8, Skyrealms of Jorune (when i was a kid and hadnt found my taste yet I eagerly awaited the opportunity to buy and play these games and was royally pissed at spending hard earned chore money on them.

As an adult : ditto most above, Fallout3/4 Witcher 2, Oblivion/Skyrim, Pillars of Eternity.
THERE IS NO ULTIMA8, YOU FLAMING HEATHEN! BURN! BURN IN THE DEEPEST, DARKEST PITS OF HELL!!

:shunthenonbeliever:

Ladonna

Arcane
Ultima 8 was a big letdown.

Neverwinter nights too.

I also remember getting Bloodwych for the C64, and the second half of the game was missing on the other side of the disk, which apparently was the case with all C64 disk versions back in the day. These days you can download the tape version converted to a disk image.

Gothic 3. The fighting system sucked, the game was maybe 3/4 finished.

I have managed to avoid all of the other letdowns, even Oblibion, by seeing what other likeminded people thought.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
The Witcher 3 - From a combatfag perspective, CDPR managed to make the already lousy combat from TW2 even worse. Couldn't make it more than 2 hours in. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot and try to tolerate the game's bad combat for its other merits.

It's "other merits" being endless uninteresting cut-scenes to match the endless uninteresting combat. Unless you like that card game I guess.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Pillars of Eternity. I was utterly unable to enjoy the game, which was a huge disappointment since it theoretically should have ticked a lot of boxes for me, and I had enjoyed Obsidian's prior games (flaws and all).
Instead I found combat that was dull, boring, and an annoyance, and a story/world/characters I just did not care about and that never really clicked for me.
Every so often I'll decide to give it another go or to try to carry on with it, and within a few hours I just walk away.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Most disappointing? Hmm. In what way? Does it count even if we finished the game? I mean, I would never finish a game I was disappointed with, or at least spend dozens/hundreds of hours on it. I've also never fallen victim to whoring myself out to playing shit like Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3/Dark Souls, so those were also not disappointing to me.

My natural disposition is that everything is shit, therefore instead of disappointments the games I play are surprises.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Probaby Gothic 3 and Lionheart.

Lionheart 100%. Kids these days think TTON and Wasteland 2 and Pillars were heartbreaking, and while they certainly did not live up to the extreme hype, they’ve got nothing on Lionnheart: Legacy of the Crusader when it comes to the art of disappointment.

Come closer, children, and I will tell you a tale of crushed hopes and broken dreams. For roughly two years leading up to its release, Black Isle had been promoting Lionheart as a kind of medieval alternate history successor to Fallout. It was going to have the SPECIAL system, skills galore, perks, the whole nine yards. You would be able to fight or talk or sneak your way through most situations. It would take place in the 1500s in a version of Europe that had been overrun by demonic hordes, and you yourself would be partially possessed by a demon, which would function as a kind of companion. You would meet cool historical figures like da Vinci who’d play important roles in the story. There would be multiple joinable factions, including the Spanish Inquisition. They had a whole detailed alternate history mapped out that I remember reading and rereading on the old Interplay website. In short, it sounded fucking awesome, even as we knew it would have Diablo style combat.

The great disappointment of Lionheart is that they actually made maybe 15-20% of that game, and I’d argue this is much worse than if the whole thing had been completely botched. They had enough RPG in there to make a solid demo, not great, but solid. However, once you finish that early content, it turns into a third-rate Diablo clone. Imagine if IWD2 had been released with only Targos as its sole hub (and been single character and had much worse combat and writing)—that’s Lionheart.

But because it started off okay, because it got so much hype, we felt compelled to keep playing in the hope that there would be more to it than a Diablo style dungeon crawl. Surely there had to be another real hub, didn’t there? But every time you pushed through another combat level, you just got to the next combat level. That’s all there was.

Normally when I’m a few hours into a game and hating each additional minute of it, I’ll stop playing. Lionheart tricked me into finishing it. In 2003, it was a dark herald of the decline to come, a terrifying microcosm of where the genre was headed.

The Kickstarter revival RPGs try and often fail to deliver on the promise of their predecessors, but it’s not like Pillars of Eternity or TTON give you a decent RPG experience for two or three hours and then turn into a poor man’s Diablo. Imagine if Pillars had come out with no Defiance Bay, no Dyrford, and no Twin Elms, if it was just Gilded Vale and then the endless paths of Od Nua. Then you’ll have a glimmer of understanding about what true disappointment looks like.

Ladonna

Arcane
Wait, Pool of Radiance 2 Myth Drannor, how could I forget that....Talk about let down.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Beyond Divinity, the prequel was simple yet pretty fun thanks to the potato humor. This game used retarded engine and mechanics which made it unplayable.
NWN2: MotB, too much fuss and hype for an overly edgy story with shit combat due to all the power creep of epic levels. I did finish it but it left no taste in the mouth and was quickly forgotten.
TW2, popamole "press X to do something cool" combat with cutscenes, not something I expected after the first game.
Diablo 3, what_the_fuck_am_I_playing.jpg
PoE and Tides of Numanuma, kikestarter scams and Josh's fall from grace.

There are more but this list does it for now.

DeepOcean

Arcane
To be disappointed, you must had expected for something, you can't be disappointed if you didn't expect anything. I played good RPGs, bad ones too but the biggest disappointment came recently from NumaNuma, PoE, those games weren't not only disappointing but killed my faith on both developer studios. The worst disappointment is when you lose faith on the present AND on the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom