Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your most disapointing RPG

Dodo1610

Arcane
When i mean disappointing I mean games you actually belived they wouldn't suck. I mean no one ever had hopes for crap like Lightning Returns or Paper Mario Sticker Star.
I can't decide between Risen 2, Fallout 3 or Fable 3.

Risen 2 was terrible with it's dumb pirate story, terrible dialogue and one of the most annoying combat system of all time.

Fallout 3 was such a let down after playing New Vegas in every way. I have no idea how anyone can give this game more than an average score.

Fable 3 was so incerdible bad I stopped playing it after one hour. I mean who thought makeing an RPG where the inventory was a room you had to teleport to was a good idea. Fable was a simple but fun game how did the series fell so low.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Myst, Kings Quest 7, Ultima8, Skyrealms of Jorune (when i was a kid and hadnt found my taste yet I eagerly awaited the opportunity to buy and play these games and was royally pissed at spending hard earned chore money on them.

As an adult : ditto most above, Fallout3/4 Witcher 2, Oblivion/Skyrim, Pillars of Eternity.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think that Ultima 8 was the biggest let down. The dropping of the virtues, the jumping puzzles, the bizarre movement system and the overall shabbiness of the engine in general, the crappy lack of equipment and items, the lack of C&C, the amount of (at the time) processing power the game required, the unfinished parts, the poor quest design, the interesting but not quite there magic system, the immediate death upon touching water, the annoying music, the kind of depressed feeling I felt why playing through the game, the amount of morons who got bent out of shape over the "Birthplace of Morians", and the staggering amounts of empty areas and catacombs with nothing to do.

Skyrim. Just so boring, and dumbed down. I honestly think it's worse than Oblvion. There, I said it.

I wouldn't even say Ultima 9 was a disappointment, as it was no secret that game was in trouble leading up to its release.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah, when it comes to "disappointment", not something like "noble fury and dark rage", it's the independent studios who tried to resurrect old genres that really did it for me. Most of that stuff, including the most anticipated by me like PoE or Numa, turned out to be just so mediocre, uninspired, random or committee designed, that it was worse than Bethesda turning Fallout into trash (which was a case or fury and rage). It's a lot more disheartening to see developers you trusted grow to become seemingly oblivious to what made these (and sometimes, theirs own) old games good, than watch someone retarded by default do their thing.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Disappointment would mean that I went in hoping for a good game, and as such I think D:OS2 was the worst for me since it was really piss poor.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wasteland: 2. Luckily, I wasn't a stupid cuck to fall for Fargo's tricks twice.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Disappointment would mean that I went in hoping for a good game, and as such I think D:OS2 was the worst for me since it was really piss poor.

Really?I enjoyed D:OS2 aside from the combat and the last chapter a lot. I mean unlike a lots of other so called RPGs it had actual role-playing in it.
Wasteland 2 was a weird for me, I thought it was decent until you reach California. In California I started noticeing Wasteland 2 issues and stopped playing it.
Numenera was just plain boring.

Tigranes

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights. I was still in my teens. I had only discovered WRPGs through BG2 and Torment two years before.

After that, I learned not to have expectations. So began my road to the Codex.

PorkBarrellGuy

Adding my vote to the Neverwinter Nights pool. Was definitely not expecting something so incredibly dull and was used to having teams of at least 4 in my D&D games. You know, a PARTY, instead of Lone Wolf + Sidekick shit.

Hyperion

Arcane
Dark Souls 3 - You can tell from the first few hours even From didn't give a shit anymore. They just followed their own checklist of how to make a Souls game to appease Bamco and their fans just to complete the trilogy.

Divinity: Original Sin - With the rave reviews it got from journos and the Codex alike, you'd think it was Divine Divinity reborn. First area showed tons of promise, but the game was too sluggish (EE didn't even give a Fast Mode...), with terrible pacing. Between Vanilla, and EE I think I've played it 4 times, and only made it past Hiberheim once.

The Witcher 3 - From a combatfag perspective, CDPR managed to make the already lousy combat from TW2 even worse. Couldn't make it more than 2 hours in. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot and try to tolerate the game's bad combat for its other merits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom