Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What to play when on rehab

yellowcake

Arcane
So I start another rehab today. Fourth in last few years if i remember correctly. That means I can't touch any alcohol for at least couple of months and possibly longer. I usually spent my evenings reading Codex and a couple non gaming sites, having four strong pints. then a dinner and a movie or a couple of startrek episodes with a botte of strong hispanic wine. It was far from making me drunk so I usally ended with a weak sleeping pill around midnight.

I'm will be drugged (of the sedative kind) for more than a week do combed withdrawal symptoms which means a bit short attention span and not that good reflexes and an aversion for walls of text. I would think a party based action rpg (with a female character to ogle at) would do me good.

Or perhaps something totally different. Maybe morrowind? although I finished the vanilla once on release.

any recommendations, codex?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The Sims 2. Pick it up for free, and role-play a sober self. Also, you get that woman-ogling.

Morkar Left

Divinity: Original Sin?

No party but fully spoken text: Quest for infamy

Or try some Piranha Bytes game; lot's to do, controls keep you occupied

For the same reason New Vegas could be a good match, too and a party is possible. But the availability of chems with gameplay effects isn't probably a good idea for you.

Some diablo clone.

Something entirely different: Unepic. The jump'n'run part doesn't require fast reflexes but keeps you focused.

yellowcake

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of DOS myself but I would have to pirate it since atm I spent all my money on shrink + prescriptions and I feel bad about pirating new games.

I replayed first gothic not long ago and wasps and other beasts would rape me now. I replayed HL recently as well and came to a conclusion that I actually liked Unreal better which I played for the first time not long ago too. This surprised me very much cause I used to love HL back then.

Maybe some cool exploration would be nice, I was also thinking of zeno clash. Is this game even good?

Morkar Left

Avernum: Escape from the pit
Exploration, party and fast results, but textheavy

Ebonsword

Arcane
tapper-1252634215.png

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Spend a while modding up Morrowind and get back into it. It's a timesink and a way to lose yourself like nothing else.

Alternatively, EYE: Divine Cybermancy to remind you why drugs are bad.

baturinsky

Arcane
The Sims 2. Pick it up for free, and role-play a sober self. Also, you get that woman-ogling.
Sims 2? Why not Sims 3? With World Adventures addon you can even have quests and dungeons and such. And booze:)

FuelBlooded

Scholar
any action filled fast paced shooter - you know - starting from Doom (+brutal mod) to Half life (all).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A few years ago I was working as PR manager in a Cancun hotel and had to wait 2 or 3 nights a week for the french guests to arrive arround 4 AM to our hotel...so while everybody was partying and having fun I was stuck waiting for 4 or 5 hours.
I decided to sort out the mods for Morrowind (almost 1000) updating the ones that had been kept up to date, deciding between old gems and new mods which did the same thing, trying out texture mods and checking various setups on my laptop (which ran the game surprisingly well) and between modded Morrowind configurations and playing time just flew by.
I also had Kotor, the Icewind Dale collection and Rome Total War so that wasn't as painful as my boss intended ;)

My sympathies go out to you OP. I tackled withdrawals a number of years ago (opiates, in my case - painkillers stemming from a botched elbow surgery), and it can be a bitch of a thing to go through. Don't get disheartened by having had multiple past attempts - that's pretty common. You've had a long period of the addiction's psychological reinforcement mechanism locking in that behaviour, so it's not surprising that it might take a few red-dos of going through detox before your brain associates the booze with the DTs and creates an appropriate fear of addiction.

Your doc will have already told you this, but take up physical exercise as soon as you're in a medical state to do so (don't need to wait until the shakes have completely stopped, but obviously you can't do it during the delerium tremens). Don't think about 'going hard'; just aim for that point where you're breathing hard enough that you couldn't easily carry on a conversation at the same time. If you're too sedated to do anything else, go for a walk once or twice a day - take someone with you if you're heavily sedated. And if you can handle doing it twice a day, then do it.

That kind of physical self-care: good diet, plenty of water and gentle exercise, will do more to make the WDs easier than what books/games/tv you've got available. It's a biological thing. You're depressed and anxiety-ridden right now (assuming you've started the detox) because your brain isn't producing enough dopamine (loosely speaking; no, taking cocaine to raise your dopamine levels won't help you:lol:) - i.e. your body reduced its production of dopamine to counter the constant overload from the alcohol, and now it's reliant on the alcohol to keep your dopamine levels from crashing. Right now, they are crashing, and the withdrawal process is largely about your brain recovering its normal ability to regulate its biochemistry. This isn't just general health advice, it's what to do at a purely chemical level to counteract the psychological effects of withdrawal (not just the 'feeling shitty' - also the agitation and insomnia).

As soon as the WDs pass, make a point of doing the things that alcohol/pills stopped you from doing. Don't just leave it to chance, deliberately schedule 1-2 activities per day that you enjoy, but haven't been able to do properly for a while due to the addiction. That's probably the main reason I'm writing this. You've requested game advice, which is fine, but once the worst of the WDs have passed, make sure you aren't constantly playing computer games - it's fine to play an hour or two, but make sure you're getting out of the house and taking advantage of your freedom. No doubt there's people you want to see, work/education/applications you want to catch up on, books to read, sports/leisure you want to play, family to spend time with, and you probably spent many nights miserable because you were missing the freedom you had to do all that before your addiction. So take advantage of it. If you don't want to relapse and have to go through all this again, then make sure you fucking celebrate your return to the world. Don't retreat to the kind of activities that occupied your life when you were too wasted to do anything else.

OT: My recommendation is to avoid crpgs and play one of the better Civ or 4x games.

The agitation from WDs often precludes the patience that good tactical crpgs require (you'll shut the game down in frustration the 1st time you die twice to the same encounter), and it's hard to enjoy a story-based game in that mindset (not a hard rule though - sometimes the fluctuations in brain chemistry seemed to effect me like a woman going through her period, and I'd get weepy over a movie that I wouldn't have otherwise cared about; the same might be true for a game, so see how you feel).

But the better Civ and 4x games have that marvellous combination of low-intensity strategy, where you can lose yourself in it without getting frustrated, combined with a one-more-turn element that can keep you plugging away all day. That's what you're really after here - something that will pass large chunks of time, but without having to deal with people like you would in a mmo, and there's no anti-social timewaster like a Civ / 4x game.

Keep strong, and when it gets hard, just keep reminding yourself that you've made it before, and about how great it's going to be to have the chains off.

Last edited:

yellowcake

Arcane
Thanks for the good advice. I know it's good cause I've figured some of the things myself during earlier attempts, like being again able to enjoy some things that were impossible to do when wasted, reading books and playing games most notable. As for exercises I got myself a bicycle some time ago. In fact I used to drive it to the liquor store quite often recently and even choosing more distant ones that were better equipped :)

Angthoron

Arcane
Thanks for the good advice. I know it's good cause I've figured some of the things myself during earlier attempts, like being again able to enjoy some things that were impossible to do when wasted, reading books and playing games most notable. As for exercises I got myself a bicycle some time ago. In fact I used to drive it to the liquor store quite often recently and even choosing more distant ones that were better equipped :)
Should've got yourself one of them exercise bikes that don't actually move anywhere!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom