Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland What puts you off the most about Wasteland 3?

I'm most annoyed by

• Total voters

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Inspired by the frosty reception in the Incline thread.

You can choose as many as you like because I know there's no one true reason why someone would dislike something, but it should still give a general idea of what people dislike the most.

Fairfax

Arcane
All of the above plus:
  • Crowdfunding another game with 2 yet to be released
  • TTON delayed because of WL2 DC
  • Fig
  • Bullshots
  • Shitty car companion

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The uninspired and tired Fig campaign put me off; didn't learn anything actually relevant about the game other than new setting and "some tweaks" to the predecessors. Multiplayer is also a thoroughly useless addition.

acer palmatum

Scholar
The move to one single character with companions (if it really is coming) - for me Wasteland is about 4 + 3.
Plus the campaign was not really informative about party-size, game-play, ... it's still more of a guess what comes down the alley.
The rest I can easily ignore.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Alll of the above.

Other: I don't like the grafics. Yeah they are top tier quality and massive improvement from shovelwareland 2 but all the screens are overly busy with detail, makes it a pain to look at. Those people should be tied down and made to stare at Fallout/2 screenshots until they get it.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
All of the above, plus Other: It being clear they are trying to sell the game to the NuBethesda/NuBioware refugees, with God only knows what effect that will have on how they approach the design, and little mention of complaints people had with Wasteland 2 and how they thought about addressing them.

Last edited:
For me it's:
* inXile's treatment of the Codex
* Wasteland 2
* multiplatform development
* multiplayer
* the crowdfunding of another game with two yet to be released
I don't really care about single character with NPC partymembers (if that's really the case), I prefer it over full party creation anyway. Fig is shady, and I won't use it. But even if they were on Kickstarter only, I still wouldn't give them money over reasons stated above. inXile vs Codex was very poorly handled, Wasteland 2 was a boring slog with repetitive combat and fucking safes with two bullets, filled with inane characters and stale memes. The only redeeming feature of it was that it was turn-based, but even being TB combat sucked. Multiplatform development, even if they're still using Unity (are they using Unity? If so, please add it to the poll as one more reason to dislike the campaign) will cost both time and money, and also will probably give us fucked up interface. Multiplayer idea is stupid, I disliked it even in D:OS, where it was decently implemented. But I really don't see inExile having both competent game designers and coders for implementing it right. And yeah, at least they should've released Torment and only then crowdfund again.

SniperHF

Arcane
Primarily it's because I no longer see InXile as a company looking to do the things I'm a big time proponent of, which is one of the main drivers in what I look for in supporting a crowd fund campaign. So things like Multiplatform development and use of Fig are an indicator of that more so than the actual reason. The "treatment of the codex" is tangentially related but wouldn't make a difference in my support if the whole incident didn't happen.

I have relatively few complaints about what I know of WL3, though I can't be assed to learn much because I don't care that much at this point. I'll check it out on release(Or EA depending on the price) because I like the setting and turn based.

What's the *thing* about the campaign I want to support is the better question. Setting and TB. The setting is good but not that good and there are buckets of turn based RPGs now.

Are they creating a difficult game? well past performance is an indicator of future results on that one.
Are they supporting the PC platform first and foremost? I kinda doubt it.
Are they doing something unique or rare with the game mechanics? Haven't seen it.
And of course the original reason, will this game exist without help? It will.

VD had a little tag for early supporters on the ITS forum called "Patron of the motherfucking arts". That's why I support campaigns and there is no motherfucking arts here and no reason for patronage.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh, I think "still using Unity" can be filed under "Wasteland 2." I'd rather not list nearly every possible problem one could have with it that would make them not look forward to future Wastelands.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The biggest issue was making the deal to turn Torment into a console game. I get they want/need money but they should have been upfront about that in the KS campaign. All future InXile games are going to be 50%-70% off on steam before I buy them.

Also when people outside of the codex pick on our jews it feels wrong. That's the job for the codex GD crowd.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All of them bother me taken together. One or several of them and I wouldn't care.

It feels as though inXile always puts their bottom line ahead of ethical considerations the way a bigger company would, except with the additional sour note of putting on a performance that they aren't like the bigger companies. If I had to pick a single reason I would say they've been irresponsible custodians of crowdfunding. An important aspect of crowdfunding video games was that it was supposed to help shape a dialogue between gamers and developers to make games they both enjoyed without intervening market interests and substitute accountability toward shareholders with accountability toward customers. The overall atmosphere surrounding inXile is that it is as manipulative and exploitative as any other corporation, loudly announcing that it has succeeded or is succeeding where it has clearly failed, and does its best to project the same phony industry-friendly image that all is well that companies like Bethesda do.

Last edited:

Mustawd

The fake screenshots that are obviously edited. I'm not fucking stupid inXile, so please don't treat me like I am. All devs do at some point, but that just really got under my skin.

Old One

Arcane
I don't even own WL2 yet, and I haven't been paying much attention at all to WL3, but the one press release I read was using the combat in Age of Decadence as a touchstone to say, "Our combat is going to be a lot more fun because it won't be like that too-hard, number-crunchy combat in AoD!"

Open catering to simpletons is not something I can support.

throwaway

Cipher
If they had released TTON instead of delaying it due to consoles and it was the best thing since MotB at least Witcher 3, I'd consider throwing my money at them. InExile's and Fargo's general evident move towards the mainstream (Multiplatform + Multiplayer) kept me from caring enough to invest my time past the Kickstarter video.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For the lack of better option I chose among the reasons the cinematic dialogues even though my gripe is more with how the character models look. I think they could be named Fishlips 1, Fishlips 2 etc. Mr. Goodtimes looks like your regular western Mongolian politician that we've got a plenty around here (((boring))).
Further, I think it's not fair play that they're in the process of financing another product without even delivering T:ToN - combined with Fig it just feels to shady.

As we have heard only one side of the story, I don't care that much about them neglecting Codex - if everything had looked extremely promising I would have probably ignored it ever happened. What comes to cancelling the interview, I think they only wanted to do what's right, or to put that more precicely, what's far-right. Mainly because they've still got Ziets, I guess.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I opted not to help fund WL3. TTON isn't out, and what we've seen of BT4 is minimal (and unimpressive even in that), so giving them more money seemed unwarranted.

As far as the poll goes, I basically did all of the above except heavier emphasis on base management (which could be cool) and the move to single character with companions (which is less cool but doesn't really bother me that much in the end)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom