Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Malignant Manor's U5 Lazarus and U6 Project Adventures

Should I try to play through the original quests. I think they were okay for what they were. If so, what mods would go well with it? Does DS work well in widescreen?

I know I should play through Lazarus and Infinitron has a nice list of recommended mods for that.

I'll probably play the Ultima 6 Project after Lazarus. Are there any recommended mods for that? I see posts about Destard (person didn't finish after 5 hours) being horribly long and so are some other plot dungeons. Are those still the same? (I see improved quests and map pins so maybe)

Are there any tips I should know for Lazarus or U6P?

Last edited:

Jackalope

Arcane
I played the original Dungeon Siege when it came out. Couldn't finish the poor thing, way too repetative and dull. The most memorable thing in that game were the mules. I'm curious if there are any mods that make this game (or any game from that franchise) fun or playable or something.

Sceptic What about the Ultima 6 Project? Have you played version 1.1?

Infinitron , thanks for the link to the mods for Lazarus and U6P.

Jackalope Ultima 5 Lazarus is supposed to be good and possibly the Ultima 6 Project (might still have some things too stretched out). I don't know how much better they will be but they have some Ultima flavoring.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Only mod you need for Dungeon Siege:

Uninstall.exe

I've been playing through Ultima 5 Lazarus over the last few days. It was hard to get into playing because of Dungeon Siege issues like the camera. I have also had dozens of hangs or crashes in 64 bit Windows 7 (I think it is better in 32 bit systems). It happened more at certain points in time and would be better until the next point it decided to be screwy.For some reason, you lose karma stealing from evil oppression members and gain karma from repairing shrines that you are responsible for destroying.

I did most overworld areas, and completed Despise. I just got my oppression badge and am about to betray the shrines for loot and experience. I'm working on a more detailed writeup. This game could have been so much better in a stable engine with a better camera, and some more quality control. The sailing implementation isn't the greatest but works okay for the most part after getting used to the quirks. I can easily keep my quicken buff up so travel is fine, but that is a level 5 spell. Too bad the menu doesn't have a double speed option for earlier (it has up to 1.2). There is a 10x speed option that is too fast for moving well outside of the ship but is good when waiting for schedule changes.

Edit: I say overworld but Lazarus (and U6P) has basically one big 3d map.

Last edited:
Edit: some of my exception errors could have been caused by the camera mod but not having one sucks. The Ultima 6 Project has been pretty stable, but I didn't install a camera mod due to already being close to slowdown.

I've finished playing Ultima 5 Lazarus and have gone through all dungeons (didn't explore all of Shame and underworld that houses Doom), mini-dungeons (one needs a switch I can't seem to access (maybe I need the disabled blink?), and overworld.

The world map is relatively faithful to the original layout but with a seamless world, enemy camps with extra loot, lots of quests, and even mini-dungeons. The main dungeons are mostly different from each other. There a minor puzzle, some have you click or break obvious objects, and some have hard to see lever or button puzzles. Most traps are pitiful. Covetous has a string of deadly ones and some dropping platforms. Shame is supposed to have some deadly ones as well (I just took the path I found to Doom and didn't really explore). I was able to notice them with the untrained skill of Janna and Iolo when close. The area was also an obvious trap, but you have to pass through it. Magic can destroy traps.

The npcs have schedules. There's a decent amount of gate travel scrolls around to help with travel. They chose to keep the shitty way of leveling up from the original except you don't get a random stat gain on level up without a mod. You need to keep resting 8 hours and endure the long resting animations until LB appears to level you up. Food seems plentiful at least.

Some quests don't make a lot of sense like finding the father of a child that is supposed to be a secret. The father is supposedly unable to stand the mother and they don't want rumors to spread about them having sex or something; yet they live together and share the same bed. Some dialogs don't recognize things that have happened like a few people in Brittany not acknowledging you already revealed you were with the resistance. Janna doesn't recognize that Landon is no longer there, and she will never join if he didn't give permission earlier. Most side quests get you 15xp and a karma adjustment. Some also give much great rewards.
The real time with pause combat isn't that good, but is probably better than the original Ultima games. Switching the party to do all ranged attacks and kiting works well for a lot of mobs but can be slow and boring. Ai for some tougher monsters can keep them at range where they do a lot less or no damage (mage types with their magic negate). Due to bugs, better melee weapons, and better melee skills, melee damage greatly outpaces ranged damage. For ranged weapons, magic bows do the most dps while Crossbows are faster firing and do slightly less (The Avatar damage bonus makes the crossbow better at least against low armor). Enemies seems to be able to focus fire well. The spawns get bigger if you have more than 4 party members.

Charm can be cheesed by having the target select their magic spell so that they don't attack, or you could also disengage follow mode and run away. Greater heal doesn't work in combat. Retreating to resting can remove enemies (happened with the slimes in Despise).

Switching between ranged, melee, and spells is pretty easy. Spells need to be manually targeted. The party AI will not cast them. Up to 8 spells can be put on a quick bar. You get a decent enough selection of ai options and formations. Holding the left mouse on the character's portrait allows you to drag around party order.

Xp and loot of monsters are not dependent on their difficulty. Xp is given to whoever kills the monster (same as standard Ultima). The combat options can be set so that only the people you want to get xp will attack if you are tying to level up specific characters.
Without mods, party members don't get shrine quest bonus stats (I'm not sure if they get any quest xp). You have a maximum of 6 (8 with a mod) party members, including the Avatar. Classes don't seem to have restricted armor or weapons. Every caster get the same mana (int+ level).

There are skills that need to be purchased once for 150gp x current character level you only need to do this once for each skill so it is best to do it at the earliest available time. A weapon damage forum post says archery can makes you slightly better with a ranged weapon (biggest difference is on the magic bow which may get 11.6% extra crap dps which is way less than the +1 ranged damage a level that the Avatar gets) and rapid strike makes you do less dps. Battle focus gives a huge boost and death blow gives a lesser, but still large boost. Parrying can more than double the armor bonus of your shield. If impedance works for the whole party, then it is a great skill that is diminished quite a bit by the crown which negates magic (can be gotten as soon as you can afford a ship).

The following only has "level unknown" for skills which I don't know what level they are gained. The manual may be wrong so they might not get some of them at all.

Classes:
Virtue: Whatever you choose
+1 melee damage a level
+1 ranged damage a level
Spell Casting: Full
Skills: same as the class that matches the virtue you chose in the beginning

The Avatar is overpowered as usual. It is recommended to have the Avatar be a fighter or ranger for the skills, because they get full casting no matter what class you choose. Fighter is better at the start. ranger is gets its last skill 1 level earlier.Paladin has to wait until 5th level for battle focus.​
Bard - Gwenno, Iolo, Toshi (has ring of protection)
Virtue: Compassion
Spell Casting: 1/2 level rounded down
Skills: archery, rapid strike (level 3), jimmying (5th level), traps (8th level)

This class is not very good. As an archer, they will do slightly more damage than other classes if you train the archery skill, but that is in no way worth the huge loss in melee damage. (The +1 ranged damage the Avatar gets trumps it and that is still low) If you want to have spell casting, get a mage or druid. If you want a melee guy, use Shamino, Dupree, and fighters. If you want traps and jimmying, get Julia. If just want jimmying, it comes late for the bard so you will likely miss a few chests, but you will start off with slightly better archery than Julia.​
Druid - Janna
Virtue: Justice
Spell Casting: full
Skills: protection, impedance (level 3), channeling (level unknown), duration (level unknown)​
fighter - Geoffrey, Gorn?, Maxwell, Sentri?
Virtue: Valor
+ 1 melee damage a level
Spell Casting: none
Skills: battle focus, death blow (2nd level), parry (5th level), recovery (8th level)​
Mage - Mariah, Johne
Virtue: Honesty
Spell Casting: full
Skills: destruction, duration, channeling (5th level), impedance (7th level)​
paladin - Dupre
Virtue: Honor
+ 1/2 melee damage a level
Spell Casting: 1/2 level rounded up + 1 but cannot cast offensive spells
Skills: parrying, recovery, battle focus (5th level), death blow (7th level)​
ranger - Shamino
Virtue: Spirituality
+ 1/2 melee damage a level
Skills: parry, battle focus (3nd level), recovery (5th level), death blow (7th level), archery (never gets it despite being listed)​
tinker - Julia
Virtue: Sacrifice
Skills: jimmying, traps, rapid strike (6th level), archery (level unknown)

This class is mainly only useful if you want jimmying and traps. See the bard section.​
shepherd - Katrina (has swamp boots)
Virtue: Humility
+ 1 melee damage a level
Skills: recovery, parrying (level unknown), battle focus (level unknown), death blow (level unknown)

This is basically a fighter that gets delayed access to their best skills (if they even get them).​

A good party should probably include
Avatar with one of the virtues associated with a fighter class (gets full casting no matter what class)
Julia for locks and traps way before bards get them. I'm not sure if you miss anything good that cannot be bought. You could drop a party member and come back but that is tedious. The fights aren't hard enough to need all party members optimized.
Shamino and Dupre because they are partial caster and negligibly less effective at melee than fighters (once they have battle focus and death blow)
The rest could be all fighters because of their great melee ability.
maybe a mage or druid for the long lasting quicken and higher level spells (the Avatar can do this as needed but he doesn't regain mana as fast or increase the effectiveness of buffs)​
The economy is pretty decent besides lots of 1 gp trash loot on killed enemies (no trash can). Money is best mostly spent on skills and a ship. There is some good end game and transition gear available for purchase, but a lot are relatively expensive so found (and some quest) gear is extremely important. Some spiked gorgets (and possibly helms and shields), rings of protection, and swamp boots are items that are unlikely to find enough for a full party. You will eventually have enough money to purchase the best items that money can buy. A lot of the best items are not available for purchase. Good treasure comes from encampments, dungeons, and mini-dungeons.
There's a lot of effort that is unfortunately marred by the DS engine. It has poor performance especially with the camera mod. I have to fight with the camera a lot inside of buildings (pretty much all of them). I also have path finding issues at times. The mini-dungeons and world map seem to be mostly fine so far except some small areas.

I've had many dozens of exception errors (not counting on exit ones because I don't lose progress) and freezes. Running it in a 32 bit OS is supposed to be more stable (I am using 64 bit). Grappling and gate travel remove buffs and reequip your items causing you to lose the spell that is in your spell slot and forcing you to reselect melee or ranged to make sure the right weapon is equipped. (The ai will switch to the correct weapon when attacking). Grappling can cause exception errors, the party to get stuck and removed or deleted party members. Npcs drop items they give you on the ground (buying doesn't have this issue) instead of giving it to the player. Handing a party member an item that they cannot hold drops it to the ground. It will rain inside dungeons.

Ship travel is required to reach a lot of areas and can be annoying when near land. You click on popup arrows constantly to get where you need to go. Some have you travel to that arrow and others last much longer than normal with no way to tell. You can also click on the mast to choose different locations when moving to select any cardinal or ordinal direction. This can get you away from the arrow railroads and make traveling much better. At least, you can dock on a lot of shorelines, and there are a couple of rewarding islands. It gets manageable once used to it. You can have the transparent map displayed with a marker for your location and have the 10x speed to travel fast in open areas.
It has a decent enough story and exploration to be worth trying if you already have Dungeon Siege. All the exception errors (at least in 64 bit Windows) make it hard to recommend if you have to buy Dungeon Siege just for this fan remake unless you get it for really cheap. There is also the Ultima 6 Project made by the same group, Project Britannia, that is a remake of Ultima 6. Hopefully that is more stable. I doubt it has grappling so that would cut down a bit of the issues. I'll probably play through it soon.

Last edited:
Lord British is an asshole sending me home right away after returning his stuff and saving him. What the hell? Now I don't know what is going on in Britannia, and someone swiped my tv set, stereo, and living room furniture while I was saving him yet again. I had to dream myself a proper ending.

I turned back time and tried to kill him. Alas I could not damage him. He pummeled me and sent me back to his castle. Not bringing him his precious box and laughing in his face didn't end well either.

I decided to truly back Blackthorn and used the Gem of Immortality fragments to destroy the mirror and Lord British alongside it . Now to take care of the bastard who stole my stuff. The screw Lord British ending is a good one.

If anyone is ever interested in playing the Ultima 6 Project. I spent a decent amount of time gathering some good information for this post. The grappling mechanic is used and requires a rope. There are some nice options available in the menu that you will want to look at. You can't buy a ship until you free the shrines on the main continent.

The Ultima 6 Project never bothered making a manual. There is a clue book with some stuff but it includes maps and item locations. There are a lot of restrictions on armor and weapons determined by class as well as weapon bonuses.There was no good list to be found. I had to look into and found where the data was located (u6p_logic.dres archived world\contentdb\templates\britannia\interactive) and make one. I did not want to spend even more time looking for spiked collar data so, if there are any restrictions, they are not listed.

Beh Lem and Sherry are their own classes. I read Beh Lem gets 4 rings, no armor, and a spiked collar (hopefully he gets swamp boots). Sherry is not as awesome as she used to be. There are some question marks on some of the spell casters. I haven't leveled any characters to verify (could be 1/2 rounded down plus or minus 1) nor gotten a shepherd (or tinker but that is said to have no casting).

Spiked collars aren't listed but are supposed to grant +2 armor. The magic sword, mystic staff, and Enilno are mentioned here since they are the best melee weapons. Main gauche only goes in the shield slot, but it is listed under weapons.

Spell Casting: always a full caster
Restrictions: same as class chosen by virtue, but the magical armor and weapon restriction is lifted.
Leather Avatar Armor, Avatar chain armor, and Avatar Plate Mail absorb an extra 2 damage. Avatar chain armor and Avatar Plate Mail don't give a penalty no matter what class you chose.​
Bard - Gwenno, Iolo, and Leodon
Spell Casting: half rounded up? - 2nd level spells at 3rd level
Allowed helms: cloth, leather, and magic helms
Allowed armor: cloth, leather, magic, and ring mail
Allowed shields: Magic and wooded
Allowed boots: all except plate
Allowed gloves: cloth and leather​
Fighter - Blaine, Gorn, Leonna, Seggallion, and Sentri
Can't use magic sword or mystic staff
Allowed helms: all except magic
Allowed armor: all except magic
Allowed boots: all
Allowed shields: all except magic
Allowed gloves: all​
Druid - Jaana
Spell Casting: full caster
Can't use magic sword
Allowed helms: cloth, leather, magic, and skull
Allowed armor: cloth and magic
Allowed shields: wooden, magic
Allowed gloves: cloth and leather
Mage - Mariah
Spell Casting: full caster
Can't use magic sword
Allowed helms: cloth, magic, and skull
Allowed armor: cloth and magic
Allowed shields: magic
Allowed gloves: cloth
Paladin - Dupre
Spell Casting: half rounded down? - 1st level spells at 3rd level
Allowed to use all weapons and armor
Only class that can use Enilno (best sword) except the Avatar
Ranger - Shamino
Spell Casting: half rounded down? - 1st level spells at 3rd level
Allowed helms: cloth, leather, and magic helms
Allowed armor: cloth, leather, magic, and ring mail
Allowed shields: Magic and wooded
Allowed gloves: cloth and leather​
Shepherd - Katrina
Spell Casting: none?
Allowed helms: cloth, leather, bronze, winged, magic, iron, skull, and chain
Allowed armor: cloth, leather, scale, ring, chain, and magic
Allowed shields: wood and magic
Allowed gloves: all except plate
Tinker - Julia
Can't use magic sword or mystic staff
Allowed helms: all except magic
Allowed armor: all except magic
Allowed boots: all
Allowed shields: all except magic
Allowed gloves: all​

The following were messily gotten from their comments with some additions by me. Some of their comments may be wrong. I corrected what I noticed. Damage and weight may be wrong. It was only comments and not code. If only one damage is given, it is probably max. Bows and crossbows now require ammunition. Thankfully, bolts and arrows have separate party pools like gold and food. Sadly, the throne room gargoyles do not have loot and thus no boomerangs.

* Dagger
* 6 damage, weighs 0.4
* +15% Mages
* No Druids
*/

* Gargoyle Dagger
* 6 damage, weighs 0.4
* +15% Mages, Beh Lem
* No Druids
*/

* Tongs
* 4 damage, weighs 0.1
* +15% Tinker
* No Druids
*/

* Main Gauche (uses shield hand)
* 8 damage, good for dual-wielding, weighs 0.6
* +10% fighter, paladin
Absorbs 1 damage
* no druid, mage
*/

* Decorative Sword
* 4 damage, weighs 0.6
+15% figher and paladin
no druid and mage

* Short Sword
+15% figher and paladin
+10% ranger
* 12 damage, weighs 1.4
*/

* Gargoyle 1h weapons
+15% Beh Lem
no druid or mage
* 12 damage, weighs 1.4
*/

* Silver Sword
* 12 damage, weighs 1.0
+15% attack and +5% to attack speed for fighters, paladins
// no mages, druids
*/

* Long Sword
// +15% attack for fighters, paladins
no druid, mage
* 15 damage, weighs 1.8
*/

* 2-Handed Sword
// +15% attack for fighters, paladins
// no mages, druids, shepherd, ranger, bard
* 20 damage, weighs 3.4
*/

* Enilno
// paladins only unless Avatar
* 21-130 damage, weighs 3.4
*/

//Magic Swords
24-30 damage
// +15% attack for paladins
// no mages, druids, fighters, tinkers

/**
* Staff
* 8 damage, weighs 1.5
* +15% shepherd, druid
* +10% mages, fighters
+10% defense
*/

* Mage Staff
* 8 damage, weighs 1.5
* +15% shepherd, druid, mage
* +10% fighters
+10% defense
*/

* Magic Staff
* 8 damage, weighs 1.5
* +15% shepherd, druid, mages
* NO fighters, tinkers
+10% defense
*/

* Mystic Staff
* 8 damage, weighs 1.5
* +100 damage (integrated in damage already)
* +15% shepherd, druid
* +10% mages
* NO fighters, tinkers
+10% defense
*/

* Enchantment Staff
* 13-25 damage, weighs 1.5
* +15% shepherd, druid, mages
* NO fighters, tinkers
+10% defense
*/

* Halberd
* 30 damage, weighs 8.2
+10% paladin, fighter
+15% tinker
no druid, mage, shepherd, bard
*/

* Spear
+10% paladin, fighter
no mage
* 10 damage, weighs 1.2
*/

* Club
* 8 damage, weight 1.5
*/

* Gargoyle Club
* 8 damage, weight 1.5
* +15% Beh Lem
*/

* Mace
* 15 damage, weighs 1.8
* +15% Druids
* +10% Fighters
* NO Mages
*/

* Warhammer
* 20 damage, weighs 6.3
* +15% Tinker
* +10% Fighter
* No bard, mage, druid, shepherd
*/

* Gargoyle Warhammer
* 20 damage, weighs 6.3
* +15% Tinker, Beh Lem
* +10% Fighter
* No bard, mage, druid, shepherd
*/

* Hammer (Tool)
* +15% Tinker
* No other restrictions
*/

* Hatchet
* 1-10 damage, weighs 2.2
* +15% Tinker
* +10% Fighter, Ranger
* NO Mage, Druid
*/

* Pickaxe
* 1-10 damage, weighs 2.4
* NO Mage, Druid
*/

* Battle Axe
* 20 damage, weighs 2.4
* +15% Damage for Tinkers
* +10% Damage for Paladins and Fighters
* No adjustment for Ranger
* restrictions- NO bard,mage,shepherd,druid
*/

* Scythe
* 18 damage, weighs 4.5
* +15% Damage for Shepherd
* No adjustment for Fighter
* restrictions- NO bard,mage,druid,paladin,ranger,tinker
// * Bow - 10 damage, weighs 1.0
// +15% druid, ranger
// +10% bard
// no mage

// * Magic Bow - 20 damage, weighs 1.0
// +15% druid, ranger
// +10% bard
// no mage

(Triple crossbow - 24 - 36 damage)
// * Crossbow - 12 damage, weighs 2.0
+10% druid, ranger
+15% bard
no mage

Sling
+15% bard, mage, shepherd
everyone can use

flaming_oil
+10% fighter, paladin
no mage

/** Magic Axe
* 10% Ranger
* NO mage, druid, fighter, tinker unless avatar
*/

/** Boomerang
* +15% Beh Lem
* no other restrictions/penalties
*/

/** Magic Boomerang
* +15% Beh Lem
* no tinker, fighters
*/

lightning_wand
+15% mage, paladin spell damage
no figher, tinker unless Avatar

fire_wand
+15% mage, paladin spell damage
no figher, tinker unless Avatar

Edit: I removed the text about the moongate(meant orb of moons) needing to visit the location. I hadn't done the Geoffrey plot railroad and could only select the throne room at the time.

Last edited:
The Ultima 6 Project has been pretty stable with only a few exception random errors in many hours of gameplay, but I didn't install a camera mod due to already being close to slowdown (and have had a few). You can pretty much guarantee an exception error if you go back to the starting menu after character creation. I encountered an issue where Shamino's ranged slot kept deleting the item put there once his inventory was closed. I never encountered issues like that in Lazarus.

I made a mod so that ships can be bought at any time. You can use the sewers to reach Buccaneer's Den and buy a ship so make sure you have gotten teleported by Geoffrey before buying one. You should also visit Trinsic by walking south from Paws instead of by ship (at least until you finish that quest). You could use moongates to reach most islands and the orb of moons to bypass Hythloth so there is no good reason to not allow this besides the two things I mentioned and they could have done something to address them instead of railroading. You're the Avatar and have saved Britannia many times. Lord British would allow a the ship. Not having a ship really screws you out of some party members. I guess the main thing was to block Lycaeum items (mostly the storm cloak).

Mariah can also join but it has been said to take too long to get her as to not be worth it. You need to do a quest chain and get the other half of the silver tablet. I created a mod that lets Mariah join right away. She starts at level 5 vs Jaana's level 4 and has better stats than her but is a mage instead of a druid.

You can add pins to the map, use the overhead view, mob scaling, disable encumbrance, disable starvation, and skip head 4 hours instantly from the karma menu (press ; to access it). There are separate map pickups for towns or each level of a dungeon that can be viewed from a drop down box access from the cloth map. There are also options to automatically pause the game once certain triggers are met like having a party member drop to low health. You can also show combat feedback like how much damage is done and if someone blocked. The world map no longer allows you to access the ships sails by making it transparent. There are generic npcs like servants and citizens and an option to disable faux npcs that doesn't seem to work for them (at least not if they were already loaded).

The economy is different than Lazarus. You have to buy ammunition and spells. You also do not share a pool of spells. This is like the original game. Weapons and armor are cheaper. I think classes might still have their base damage boosts from Lazarus. Instead of gate travel scrolls, you have the orb of moons the moons which allows you to go back to previously unlocked locations.

You now require sleep or party members will get narcolepsy with a timer. There are party banters that come up when reaching new areas. Experience requirements for levels have been doubled, but experience for kills is now partially shared. The rest of the party seems to get half xp rounded up. They added optional triggers to pause the game. You can advance time by 4 hours instantly in the karma menu. There is a journal system that keeps up to date with your quests and it contains information about Britannia that can help new players.

There are have been a couple in game cutscenes including the Avatar sacrifice rescue. The rescue looks stupid with the gargoyles not reacting until the end, and even then, it was pretty much only the wingless ones. There is one cutscene when entering the Virtues Temple that traps you in there. It is will break and force you to close the program unless you have 5 or more party members. It is very possible that people would have not taken Sherry and there is no reason to have any party member requirements other than the Avatar.

Isabella told me that Selganor has the rune, and it is marked in the journal, but it is not available in his conversation. I wonder if this has to do with plot railroad or if there is another npc that also has this information that I need to talk to so they forgot to code this one. I learned the Gargish language and can read the book, but of course, this isn't acknowledge and neither is having Beh Lem. The ladder scripting in Lycaeum has pathfinding issues if you don't remove the energy field directly in front of it even though you can reach it just fine without doing that. There can be problems navigating the stairs in Serpent's hold's keep. There are only cannon balls up there and most people won't use the awesome cannon ranged weapon. Beh Lem is not immune to swamp gas and cannot wear swamp boots and Sherry is likely the same but can be asked to leave.

I found some important formulas like damage, attack speed, and spell resistance but I don't know if it applies to U6P, Lazarus, both, or neither. I really hate their organization and the fact that some source code is in the files.
Base defense = .25 * DEX
melee_damage = ".3 * STR
offhand_weapon_damage = .05 * STR
missile_damage$ = .3 * DEX
melee_accuracy = 35 + (.5 * dex)
missile_accuracy = 20 + (.5 & dex)
attack_speed= .5 + (dex / 100)
attack_speed_modifier = increase % of total attack speed -- (attack_speed - (attack_speed * attack_speed_modifier))
melee_critical_hit = .3 * STR
melee_critical_hit_dmg = 1.5
missile_critical_hit = .3 * DEX
missile_critical_hit_dmg = 1.5
health_regen_speed = 2 HP/Hour
//Magic
mana_regen_speed = 1 MP/Hour
spell_resistance = .5 * INT

Edit: I added a mod for Mariah after noticing that it required you to find the 2nd tablet piece.

Edit 2: I mentioned the journal system.

Edit 3: I had accidentally eaten cheese and added it in with the debug so it opened up all orb of moons locations.

Last edited:
Infinitron can you please post these two mods on their forum? I don't want to create an account for a forum that is pretty much dead.

mod_can_always_buy_ships.dsres modifies Arty, Fentissa, Peer, and Trebor's English conversations so that they will allow you to buy ships right away. You can use the sewers to reach Buccaneer's Den and buy a ship so make sure you have gotten teleported by Geoffrey before buying one. You should also visit Trinsic by walking south from Paws instead of by ship (at least until you finish that quest). It should work for other languages, but the conversation will be in English. You only need to have the mod installed when you buy a ship. The mod priority is 500 or 501.

mod_mariah_can_join_right_away.dsres modifies Mariah's English conversation so that she can join you right away. It should work for other languages, but the conversation will be in English. You only need to have the mod installed when you ask her to join. The mod priority is 501.

Edit: I added some plot notes for the ship mod.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Ultima 6 Project never bothered making a manual.

That's because it has extensive in-game documentation.

Infinitron can you please post these two mods on their forum? I don't want to create an account for a forum that is pretty much dead.

Uh, no.

But I'll point the Ultima Codex at this thread and see if they're interested in spreading the word about it.

The Ultima 6 Project never bothered making a manual.

That's because it has extensive in-game documentation.
It doesn't have jack for classes and you have to choose one at character creation. It needs a manual or some information when doing the gypsy test. People should probably know about needing a rope to access some areas. They modified how much experience is needed to level up and none of that information is in game. You have a party member click on a shrine and they level up with no prompt. They should post notes about how you can manually have arrows come up by clicking the mast again while sailing.

Uh, no.

But I'll point the Ultima Codex at this thread and see if they're interested in spreading the word about it.
Okay, I knew you had an account so I thought I would ask. Thanks.

I've been playing a lot of hours and have only freed 5 shrines and done the Crypts, Swamp Cave, Spider Cave, Sewers, and Buccaneer's Cave. These dungeons didn't seem too long to me but there are a ton of dungeons like the original. To do all of them, I have Heftimus' Cave, Hero's Hole, Cyclops Cave, Sutek's Castle and dungeon, Pirate's Cave, Ant Mounds, Stonegate, Despise, Destard, Covetous/Wrong (I don't think they are the same in this version), Shame, Deceit, and Hythloth left. Then I have Control, Passion, and Diligence on the Gargoyle side. I can easily believe octavius about spending 96 hours.

I am already almost level 7 and have tons of cash but have explored a lot of overworld areas and done the wisp exchange and won the nim game. I have not bought any magic equipment. I think I only bought main gauche, ammunition, reagents (probably haven't used yet), 4 spiked collars, and a great helm. Magic helms and shields(only use one on Jaana) are common and I have enough for eveyone who can use them. I am short 2 magic armors, 4 magic bows, and need 2 magic swords accounting for the quick sword I don't have. I'm hoping I find the magic boomerang, it has a range of 24 meters! The second best range is 15. Beh Lem doesn't show any % increase text on boomerangs.

Not being able to use magic swords or armor is not a deal breaker for a fighter like it would first seem. A fighter with a silver sword and main gauche will outdamage a same stat bard or ranger that has a magic sword and main gauche because they get a melee damage bonus on level up and because of their % damage increase. They will have lower They will have 1 lower ac than a bard or ranger if wearing plate boots. 2 lower if wearing swamp boots. They have better ac early on. They will have 10 or 15 percent lower ranged damage. Their best melee weapons and armor are vulnerable to acid slugs though.

If not for spell access and acid slugs, they are pretty well balanced. Since you will likely keep Iolo, Shamino, and Dupre, you have a decent partial caster mana pool anyway. They may outdamage Dupre at melee due to the attack speed increase but will have 4 lower ac. I doubt anyone would kill off Dupre to replace him anyway. If using both of my mods to get her early, Mariah can cast pickpocket right away, but her physical attacks suck. Jaana can work great as an archer when not casting spells.

I do not know if there are hidden class skills or bonuses that could change things. The class skills in Lazarus made a huge difference in melee damage. I have a party write up, but I am still haven't gotten Gorn.

There are several annoying areas that you cannot click on to pathfind but can click past to pathfind through. They would have noticed this if they actually played through their content even once. The party pathfinding will not avoid even the big red trap rectangles. Waste reagents and mana on some of them instead of manually moving each character through.

Code:
Class		LVL	INT	DEX	STR	Karma	XP
Mage		2	23	18	18	50	150
Bard		2	18	23	18	50	150
Fighter		2	18	18	23	50	150
Druid		2	20	20	18	50	150
Tinker		2	18	20	20	50	150
Paladin		2	20	18	20	50	150
Ranger		2	21	21	21	45	150
Shepherd	2	18	18	18	55	150

I wonder if the Avatar mage, druid, and maybe shepherd and tinker get a mystic staff instead of mystic sword(same as magic sword) at Lycaeum or if it is in the game without cheats.

Edit: I was wrong about their being different magic swords. Beh Lem just has a slower swing speed. The developers really wanted to make him horrible. What the hell were they thinking.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't recall having much problems with the game crashing on my Win 7 64 bit machine.

Some other things annoyed me, though:
Not being able to buy ships before doing some undocumented things.
Not being able to keep a neatly ordered inventory. It would always reset to chaos after using the moon gates.
Murder mystery being unsolvable.

I like that you can find another Thieves' guild belt other than Phoenix. There is at least one more. They take a ring slot and give you +1 ac and +1 melee damage. I still don't know why in both Lazarus and U6p, that you lose karma if you take the belt or items from thieves you know they stole.

I hate when required quests force you to do shit to purposely waste your time that the hero shouldn't do. This would be the Minoc quest chain that was taken from the original and their new Trinsic quest chain. The Minoc quest is actually worse since you cannot use the orb to teleport back to Minoc (and Yew if you didn't complete its quest chain that requires its own backtracking to the moongate). The moongate restriction should be gone after freeing the shrine associated with that town.

The Trinsic one forces you to be a messenger to Geoffrey instead of them sending a messenger and telling you to get some rest while waiting if you accept. Afterwards you need to talk to everyone in Trinsic and tell them about some plot point. These decent number of people all have different sleep schedules and you cannot wake npcs up. Why can't someone else do this. These are just needless filler in a game that is already long enough.

I made a mod, mod_trinsic_less_annoying.dsres, so that you only need to inform Whitsaber of the plot point instead of everyone. It modifies Whitsaber and Baden's English conversation files.

I made another mod, mod_selganor_gives_rune.dsres, so that you can get the rune from Selganor after knowing he has it instead of having to join the guild and fixed the bug where you couldn't ask him about the rune1. The journal will still say that you joined the guild. You may be able to join the guild, but I haven't tested it. It modifies Selganor's conversation file.

These mods should work in other languages, but the conversations will be in English. They have a priority of 501.

I found a suit of magic armor in a Trinsic shop. The owner would not sell it so I commandeered it. My companions think that this isn't virtuous, but my armor rating improved by 6. I've finally freed all the shrines. I'm at Sutek's Island and am having to really deal with the bad camera and pathfinding. There is attacking through walls and ceilings.

1: Isabella sets rune_sacrifice_quest, but Selganor looks for want_rune_sacrifice.

At least one of my characters kept getting stuck on the top of the Sutek's Castle. This happened 3 times in a row right after a crash. The 4th time I made it through. I think I have crashed more times in Sutek's Castle than anywhere else. Companion stats are pretty much the same except for increased experience due to levels needing twice as many xp. Sherry and Beh Lem have severe restrictions,

Code:
Name			Class		Str	Dex	Int	Lvl	Xp	location		notable equipment
Beh Lem 1 2 3		special		23	24	26	3	?	outside Hythloth
Blaine 4		fighter 	16	21	18	2	240	Zoltan's group (varies)
Dupre 1			paladin		26	20	17	3	756	starts in party
Gorn 3			fighter		26	21	14	4	1300	Sutek's Castle dungeon	plate armor and spiked gorget
Gwenno			bard		18	21	17	2	320	Minoc			Gwenno's key
Iolo 1			bard		20	26	17	3	748	starts in party
Jaana			druid		16	21	19	4	900	Yew			Jaana's key
Julia 4			tinker		21	18	17	2	240	Minoc			Julia's key
Katrina 3		shepherd	19	16	16	5	1680	New Magincia		3 Katrina's keys
Leodon 3		ranger		15	19	15	3	640	Buccaneer's Den		magic helm and Leodon's key
Leonna 3		fighter		15	15	18	3	540	Buccaneer's Den		Leonna's key
Mariah 3 5		mage		16	23	26	5	1760	Lycaeum			enchantment staff and fetch spell
Seggallion 3 		fighter		28	21	20	5	1700	Serpent's Hold		black key and plate armor
Sentri 3		fighter		26	18	16	3	500	Serpent's Hold		copper key
Shamino 1		ranger		21	23	18	3	750	starts in party
Sherry 6		special		1	27	12	1	0	LB's Castle
1. refuses to leave
2. required by plot - not able to dual wield or use a shield, and cannot equip a helm, armor, or boots - ranged weapons are restricted to boomerang and magic axe - one level higher than original
3. need a ship to reach
4. will not join again after leaving party? This is how it worked in the original.
5. needs a long quest that takes the majority of the game
6. needed to go in 1 mouse hole - only able to use wands, neck slot, and ring slots

Last edited:
I've finished Stonegate, Despise, and the Covetous/Wrong combo dungeon (they join at the 3rd floor). I am having dungeon fatigue 36 hours in. It wasn't a good idea to play this so soon after Lazarus. I have Heftimus' Cave, Hero's Hole, Cyclops Cave, Pirate's Cave, Ant Mounds, Destard, Shame, Deceit, and Hythloth left. Then I have Control, Passion, and Diligence on the Gargoyle side.

I still need a suit of magic armor and some magic bows. Magic bows only cost 200 gp each. Magic swords cost 500. Magic armor costs 4000. A person actually buying gear would only have rings of protection to look forward to except the quick sword. The kill spell only does a few hundred damage when dragons have a 1000 hp so it isn't very useful. At least when I get to 8th level, death wind should be useful against mass amounts of slimes and acid slugs.

I finished Destard, Hythloth, and Shame and got a few other missing map pieces. The maps for Destard were pretty close to the entrance of the levels except for the third level. You can now tab at will if you need to so no more spending too many hours there and maybe rage quit like Jaesun. Ancient dragons are able to attack you from out of storm cloak range, and one area in Destard is setup to really utilize that.

Hythloth still has the maps at the very end. Death wind is extremely nice for swarms of enemies, and I could easily spam it every time I came across them. You need to cast it twice on slimes and acid slugs in order to kill them all.

1 pirate map, balloon basket, balloon bag, 6 Brit dungeons, and 4 gargoyle dungeons to go. I left out the Tomb of Kings dungeon in my other lists. Hopefully I get a magic boomerang there. Of course, I won't have much to us it on unless I do that next. All the map pieces are still optional. The entrance to Pirate Cave is easy to find without any knowledge other than needing a pick or shovel equipped in order to get the dig prompt. I am at 43 1/2 hours somehow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom