Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What kind of Fag are you? The definitive poll!

What Fag are you?

• Storyfag: I just want to read (listen) to the game story. Combat is just a speed bump to the next th

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Combatfag: Give me encounter design, combat mechanics and technical gameplay. Maybe a reason for doi

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Omnifag: I swing both ways sailor, just give it to me.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Otherfag: Will respond in thread.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
So....let us find out what flavours of 'Fag' are on the Codex today. Are you into the one's and zero's? Enjoy encounter design and combat mechanics? Or are you just itching for the next part of the story/romance/bromance?

Or are you something else?

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Otherfag: exploration and diplomacy.
I always try to solve things without fighting, whenever possible. Combat usually annoys me, and imho story is far less important than game mechanics.

Black

Arcane
Omnifag but mostly gameplayfag. Note: gameplay =! combat.

Johannes

Arcane
I don't know, playing a game just for the story is stupid, but playing a single-player game purely for tactical challenge is not optimal either.

I guess I'm more of a combatfag, but there should be at least some nice cream to go with the game mechanics.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Otherfag: Combat and Diplomacy.

I will either blow you to bits or convince you to blow your own head off.

:yeah:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I like a good story, but I mostly into combat. Also, the lack of stealth vote is :decline:.

Gosling

Liturgist
I've become somewhat of a powergaming fag lately which requires a complex and robust game/character system + its successful ingame implementation to enjoy.

I also wouldn't mind another game along the lines of VtMB (even with all its previously mentioned faults). Don't know what kind of "fag" it makes me.

Phelot

Arcane
I went with omnifag. I can appreciate both styles and if a game is done right I never cry "If only it was also story driven!" or "If only the combat was better!" If story is what it's going for then that is what I expect and I judge it accordingly.

EDIT: Though I believe this poll is messed up. It should be:

storyfaq
statfag
C&Cfaq
grindfag
fag

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh hey, it's one of those polls again. Was some time since we saw the last one.

Achilles

Arcane
Storyfag, without a doubt. I can overlook flaws in game design or poor production values if the story piques my interest.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Voted Bi-Sexual........ I'm more a story fag, but well done combat systems and encounter design are also a huge turn on.

laclongquan

Arcane
I can definitely say I am a not a storyfag. Morrowind's lore didnt move me. I dont get interested in Avernum or any of those Jeff's games. Good story move me (like Torment) but it must be my kind of good. I mean, Final Fantasy 8's story moved me. Not 7, not 9, 8 only. Chrono Cross moved me but not Trigger.

Combatfag is not me, either. I can do JA2 lots of time, but not Mount and Blade. I can do easy (KOTOR1) I can do hard (King's Bounty) but I dont do the very easy or the buttfuck ironman..

Unreal World moved me but I am not totally sure what factor.

I can do spreadsheet game like Academagia, Patrician 3, and the like. Not total excel-fags but I can do the sheets and the lists.

D is so me it screams.

Aikanaro

Liturgist
I don't think 'storyfag' as defined here is going to sum up anyone on this forum unless the decline is worse than I thought. It's interactivity with the story and story elements (characters, setting, etc.) that's interesting - just sitting back and reading more story isn't. Hence why choices and consequences is elevated - 'story' isn't interesting in a game but how you can change relationships, the plot, and the setting is. 'Storyfag' as you put it makes it sound like a linear JRPG-style story would suffice.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
non-trivial non-linearity (both meanings), exploration|story|procedural generation, combat, unique and interesting features, in that order.

Antediluvian

Educated
Omnifag + Otherfag: Immersion/Atmosphere, Exploration, Customisation (crafting/fusion)

I can certainly enjoy combat-oriented titles (Wiz/SMT and other blobs) but, tbh, I'd rather play a strategy game since no rpg combat system has ever sated my hunger for proper tactical ass-kicking, not even GoldBox games. Not to mention that I always preferred stealth to combat. Trudging through storyline, like in PST, isn't really enthralling either (even if the plot itself is super captivating) since you don't actually do anything beside choosing dialog options.
Being immersed into the environment/story, choosing your own way of dealing with any kind of predicaments and seeing consequences to your actions (not just fluff like dialogue choices) - that's for me. Sniffing out what's in the distant corner of a huge map is great too. Thus games that came most closely to perfection imo are action/stealth/rpg hybrids like DX or SS. Among usual rpgs - Ultima (Lazarus/both VII-s) and Fallout

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Omnifag, probably leaning toward storyfag. I enjoy playing RPGs for their stories and dialog, but I also usually enjoy the combat and character advancement.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Otherfag. I want to explore and see EVERYTHING there is to see in the game. Every dialogue, every quest outcome, every death animation. It's tiresome, it is.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Righteous Explorer fag: I want to see every part of the game, go everywhere, check it all out. However, I'm not following the evil plotlines. Nice that they are there for you deviants, but try as I might, I just can't "blow up the proverbial Megaton."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom