Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter what is your personal 2015 RPG GOTY(roleplaying game game of the year) ?

pick one

• Total voters

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I've considered the reasons for why the superior game, The Witcher 3, is doing so poorly here. The reasons range from irrational, to pathetic, to shitty, to insignificant and repulsive.

Reason #1: TW3 gained too much success and popularity, so liking it isn't edgy enough for you. "If they like it, it must be shit." You'll only admit to liking new games that are designed as though they were old classics, and/or niche indie ones... as long as they don't become too popular, that is, because then your self-image as a special snowflake would be threatened. In other words, you're goddamned hipsters who wouldn't know true quality even if the avatar of Hitler Himself flew down from Heaven and presented it to you.

Reason #2: You're a poorfag who can't afford a decent enough computer to run TW3. Get a job, you piece of shit, and contribute to society for once in your life.

Reason #3: You think that TW3 contains too much dialogue/lore/storyfaggotry... yet you have an autistic devotion to "Planescape: Torment" as the best game that ever was and ever will be.

Reason #4: You think the world is a little bit too big ("Why would Geralt want to go there, this takes too long"), or that the pacing is a little bit off ("Why would Geralt take on this contract instead of pursuing Ciri"). IT'S AN RPG. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN DO. YOU DISGUST ME. :0/5::0/5::0/5::0/5:

The fact is that TW3 is a massively successful game despite being 0% politically correct, with masculine rapey men and feminine women, no creepy genderbending AIDS-inducing romances, not even the slightest repulsive dindu in sight, blissfully free of SJW-cultism, while also being based entirely on white European culture and mythology, being both a storyfag's and an explorationfag's wet dream, and utterly visually stunning, with an amazing soundtrack... I forget where I'm going with this because my blood is rushing to my nether regions just typing it, but if you disagree and get cancer tomorrow you deserve it.

... that being said, AoD is a rock solid #2.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Reason #3: You think that TW3 contains too much dialogue/lore/storyfaggotry...
Are there really people on the Codex who implied that? :what:

I think most of them were frustrated with getting many dialogue-heavy scenes straight after each other when exploring Novigrad (perhaps they shouldn't robotically go house-to-house to speak to all the inhabitants in a row). Some criticised TW3 as being "an interactive movie", which is way off base.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They both have terrible combat imo.

The fact is that TW3 is a massively successful game despite being 0% politically correct, with masculine rapey men and feminine women, no creepy genderbending AIDS-inducing romances, not even the slightest repulsive dindu in sight, blissfully free of SJW-cultism, while also being based entirely on white European culture and mythology, being both a storyfag's and an explorationfag's wet dream, and utterly visually stunning, with an amazing soundtrack... I forget where I'm going with this because my blood is rushing to my nether regions just typing it, but if you disagree and get cancer tomorrow you deserve it.

Oh really http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...late-january-2016.100006/page-91#post-4279121

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've considered the reasons for why the superior game, The Witcher 3, is doing so poorly here. The reasons range from irrational, to pathetic, to shitty, to insignificant and repulsive.
The Witcher 2: Bioware Conversation Simulator scarred my psyche to such an extent that I haven't yet gotten around to playing the third game in the series.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Age of Decadence by far. Also, WTF hivemind, why haven't you used full title instead of "AoD" abbreviation? Laziness is a sin. Serpent in the Staglands 2nd place and Underrail 3rd. Underrail would have been second if not for the fact that 75% of your gameplay time is spent on walking and bartering (and collecting trash from lockers and boxes and pointless cooldowns outside of combat), 20% on fights and remaining 5% on reading text. The game would be so much better if it offered an option to speed things 4x or more. There are also broken quests here (like NPCs going back from the dead but there are more, e.g. in Junkyard)

Another good thing about Underrail's quests is that generally they're not spelled for you and you actually have to explore and find out what, where and how.
Compare that to shit like AoD where you're even teleported straight to the quest locations. Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather play the game than the game playing me.

Being teleported from script to script and playing guess the right stat you need to continue all accompanied by writing that rivals my bottle of Head&Shoulders in excellency, that's AoD. But at least you get to choose between multiple options amirite????
lol
These teleportations aren't that often and when they do appear they are for obvious places, e.g. Feng's. You have a Feng sign in a small town with few buildings, why would you want to waste time on walking there? Is it that hard to find that place? Can't you speak and ask for directions? Are you a Bethestard and think it's fun to walk pointlessly killing trashmobs along the way? In UR sections are so small that you need to reach red area very often (some are micro areas which serve only as a crossroad) and reaching a metro or some other location often requires you to go the roundabout way (for example going down the stairs, because you can't just step down and go to the metro directly or there are obstacles so you have to circle around to reach a place that's 3 tiles away from you). The same goes for cities, usually there are 1-3 NPCs in an area that aren't pointless, to reach another relevant one you need to take a lift/elevator or just go to another red rectangle. And all of this in a turtle pace.

Arena is fun but it also suffers from pointless talks that you can't turn off like some shitty cutscene in AAA games (sometimes it took 4 minutes to start a fight which is utterly ridiculous). It annoyed me to no end. And The Gauntlet is the biggest crap I've ever seen in a game. Arcanum mines are way more fun than that (I have the skills to beat it but it's just too tedious, boring and annoying, at least some of the things should have been thrown out). You also have sims in here with home decorating and things like that (at least workbenches have its use, that's the only reason it's not a total crap).

I really appreciate that AoD doesn't waste my time on things like that and there is no bloat and no pointless walking through pixel world.
The what now? Is that what's called when the game teleports you from place to place and tells you about events and people you never knew about like you are supposed to know about them? Good stuff that, I wonder why nobody ever did it before.
Examples because I don't remember situations like these. In Underrail on the other hand:
  • I could join both the Preservation and then Investigation factions in Tchort Institute, Eldein didn't have any objections even though you're supposed to choose only one
  • in Junkyard I was supposed to find Blaine which I did, except I told Eddy about the wormhole which they blew up but the game didn't realize that and I didn't have the option to continue that quest, had to kill Blaine instead for 1000 charons and no oddity XP,
  • in Foundry I couldn't tell the Faceless that I know that Tchortists have the device, my only option was to tell them about Cornell and Core City (I went back to them much later when I've done all Tchort quests)
  • in SGS Mordre is alone and fishes but when you kill him whole SGS somehow knows about it and you become an enemy even though he's a killer which you know and have proof
and these are only from the top of my head.
As for quests which in your opinion are much better in Underrail because they're not as obvious - not really. They are as straightforward as they can be, kill that guy, fetch me that item (and there are quite a few filler quests, e.g. Detritus quest, one of the worst quests in UR). There are only a few not so obvious ones, although even these usually come down to going from one NPC to the next.
In one quest it's been suggested that I should investigate the earthquakes, so obviously my first stop was the physics lab (that was the department most likely to know what's causing it and I appreciate that Styg knows that physics is the king of all sciences). So I learned that their origin is in the west and went straight to the west wing. But I had to check all the entrances to find the source and at the end I wasn't even sure that it's in the building (my first stop was obviously the room where I met Six and this strange thing that's there). At that point I was all
:rage:
maybe I had to go outside and go west through Upper UR. So yeah, no handholding, no asking on forums for advice or looking at a walkthrough but at the cost of it being tedious.There should have been another hint somewhere that it's the right place or even the option to call physics department and ask (doesn't work, there's only static despite the fact that it worked earlier and it's so close - of course it can be explained that Faceless are jamming communication but that's not the issue).

Another example of an interesting quest that got tedious was the one where you're controlling a sentry bot. The idea was great but there was no challenge in this and it got tedious fast.

I wanted to post another example but Styg has fixed one of the quests (the one with kidnapping) and he might improve the other ones but so far most of the non kill/fetch quests aren't as good as they could be. I'm mentioning this because I realize that in such a huge game you can't think of everything and to point out that he's fixing and improving things so the things I've mentioned might not be an issue later.
But the one thing that all quests have in common is the lack of options. Most of them have only one solution, some have 2 and I can't remember a quest that offered more. In Age of Decadence every quest can be done in at least 3 ways.

Add to all this the things I've mentioned earlier: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/toee-or-aod-or-ur.105900/page-2#post-4293735
and you have the answer why I think AoD is better than Underrail.

With that said, the exploration in UR is superb (if you think exploration in Gothic was great you should play UR, you can even blow up rubble or use a jackhammer to make your own passage), fights are fun and often challenging forcing you to use your brain instead of mindlessly clicking on an enemy and crafting is quite complex and well developed. I also haven't had that much fun levelling up since Arcanum. All in all the game is enjoyable despite many annoying things I've mentioned above.

tl;dr
Age of Decadence is a better game than UR but UR is a great RPG.

hivemind

Also, WTF hivemind, why haven't you used full title instead of "AoD" abbreviation? Laziness is a sin.
I use abbreviations whenever possible so that people who don't know what the abbreviation stands for are confused and think I'm in an elite club of people 'in the know'.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Underrail then AOD.

5tWaDDG.png
Heh, two times. Guess that New Vegas doesn't count :lol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
No contest:
1: Underrail
2: AoD.

LoL at Twitcher 3 on this list, since when a polish cutscene simulator is an RPG? If Witcher 3 is an RPG, so it is Borderlands, AssCreed, TellTale games and other AAA crap with very light RPG elements. Sorry potatoes, but Polish Steven Seagal didn't convince me.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Pillars of Eternity. It did something to me.

Someone who started on Ultima IV and Bards Tale 1 who could not get into the Baldurs Gates family despite trying a few times and buying a few times more.

I really hate those games and they make me sick with nausea. I vomit out of fear. I have never played Planescape due to my fear of the engine.

Bile in my throat.

Then I try again, another try with the Real Time Pause Combat and party members chit bloody chat. With long text to read and companions who decide to start conversations. Shut the heck up!

I can't explain why - but something happened when I played this game and it clicked and somehow I had fun. Big fun with combat and BIG fun existing in the world. There was a good attempt in my suspension of disbelief and I was almost there.

I had no "it's not as good as BG2" baggage - no real comparisons to make. Maybe I was the right age - maybe the stars had to align to make this perfect moment where I found the right game on the right medium at the right time in my life. I can't stop thinking about it and how next I am going to solo it. Not quite.

My first computer was a BBC B in 1981.

Pillars of Eternity has done something impossible. Got me thinking about Baldurs Gate 2 and whether I still have those CDs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom