Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is this all about & FAQ

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
THIS SUB-FORUM is too unfriendly? :retarded:
Not in the sense of calling people fags, screaming profanities and the likes, but that people that just want to see what the project is and how it's progressing have to do some exploring and go through various posts.

You can read that as DECLINERS WANT QUEST COMPASS! if you want. :3

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
George from SuperBunnyHop sent me a very nice review of Morrowind.
:thumbsup:
I'm also in contact with Rebecca Heineman (Bard's Tale III and Dragon Wars), trying to get her on board. Twitter is at the same time awesome and fucking hell.... trying to pitch a book in 140 characters is a nightmare.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
This is awesome. I'll be buying a printed copy for sure!

(and hey, I don't know what you're planning for the cover, but I sure wouldn't mind donating an illustration specifically made for the book. I could even try and do it in an "oldschool" style. Either the "so-horrible-it's-awesome" box art, or a genuinely badass oldschool fantasy painting.)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

(and hey, I don't know what you're planning for the cover, but I sure wouldn't mind donating an illustration specifically made for the book. I could even try and do it in an "oldschool" style. Either the "so-horrible-it's-awesome" box art, or a genuinely badass oldschool fantasy painting.)
I really appreciate your offer man, but Alchemist, another kind soul, volunteered to do the cover illustration already. ;)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
xq0gmz.jpg

(mkay, looking forward to it! :))

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW Merlkir, I browsed you DeviantArt:

gtg_05___white_shirt_day_by_merlkir-d7dswjx.jpg

Really nice stuff, I'm impressed. Not may people can make this kind of art look so cool and full of personality without being deformed of grimdark. Reminds me a bit of King of Dragon Pass, which is always a good thing. :salute:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Reminds me a bit of King of Dragon Pass, which is always a good thing. :salute:

Well. :D

1. This and 15 other plates were painted for the Guide to Glorantha, a kickstarted encyclopaedia of the same world that King of Dragon Pass is set in. (David Dunham, creator of KoDP was a backer, iirc) The book is just out of printers at the moment, and slowly being shipped to backers. It's now available for preorder too, I think.
(more on here: http://www.glorantha.com/)

2. I also painted several new scenes and portraits for a new NPC in the iOS version of King of Dragon Pass.
http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.cz/2014/06/scene-contest-and-14-other-scenes-now.html

So, if it reminds you of KoDP, that's probably a very good thing! :D

Alchemist

Arcane
Man, that is so cool to have the Glorantha art guy here. Merlkir you do excellent work sir! In fact I just yesterday pre-ordered the Guide, and the quality of your art helped sway me to buy it. :)

I actually haven't got much done yet on the cover for felipepepe 's book, sadly. If I end up flaking out I feel it would be in good hands if I passed the task on to Merlkir. I will think it over a bit and decide if I really have time to do it in a reasonable timeframe. I wouldn't want to hold things up with my own delays.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Man, that is so cool to have the Glorantha art guy here. Merlkir you do excellent work sir! In fact I just yesterday pre-ordered the Guide, and the quality of your art helped sway me to buy it. :)

Aww, yiss! Raking in the money! :D

I'm ok with being the backup artist here.

I've sent in my first draft of Defender of the Crown so I can actually be done with my declared entries. Once its done and finished if other stuff is available I might grab something. I have tried promoting the project here and there to hope other people might want to get in on this project but who knows if it went anywhere...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I appreciate. People seem to be very weary of trusting this whole thing, despite having some big names helping us out... in fact, it has been easier to persuade developers than random forum people. :?

Anyway, I'm over 150 pages now! :D

Now that my first two are in and presumably ready for prime time I notice a couple other games I have played some haven't been covered if the spreadsheet is still up to date.
I could easily take Dungeon Hack and am currently casually playing some Might and Magic 3 and could cover it provided neither require one to complete them.

(There are others too but I wouldn't want to have more than 2 assignments at a time as to keep things achievable and at arms reach.)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Dungeon Hack is a Rogue-like, so I think it doesn't matter completing it if you played tons of hours. M&M 3 on the other hand, I'd rather have someone that finished it, as it has quite a twist at the end. ;)

Well then I guess I best be steppin then eh?
SAM_3962.JPG

That's right. Might and Magic 3 on a Commodore 1084 monitor! The sought after TurboDuo CD version. Better audio, slightly reduced graphics, better interface, a bit easier so your archers n shit are actually goddamned USEFUL.

A shame it doesn't work right in emulation though. MnM3 is a right douche to both Ootake and Magic Engine. Gog.com version works fine but Turbo version is a lot more FUN.
(Its kinda backwards with MnM2. In general the PC version looks worse but somehow plays a bit better overall. Go fucking figure that one out!)

But sure, put me down for Dungeon Hack and this game if nobody else steps to the plate. I mean I have MRS WARREN SPECTOR'S BOOK ON THE MM3 ENGINE GAMES after all..

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1002654_799599366734125_2131594359_n.jpg

But if Alternate Reality hasn't been dibbed I think this cat should get the job and you should offer it to him: https://www.facebook.com/crpgdev?fref=nf

Oh yeah. And I think I found an Apshai person: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/183584-temple-of-apshai-trilogy-maps/

So pimp the project to these folks! They know their chosen game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Except you don't get to hear the awesome MT-32 (LAPC1) music and sound effects that were specifically written for Might and Magic III

Think its honestly using Redbook Audio versions of the above for the Duo port. Also I dont have an MT32 and am not enough of an audiophile to want one for my retro rig anyhow. My DOS machine has a Soundblaster 32 or something. Whichever card came with the big ass Discovery set and the 8x CDROM.
That I got for like 30 bucks or so complete a couple of years back to replace my fuckup when I buggered files with the previous CDROM drivers.

(MT 32 is sweet as shit but its kind of like getting Double Mockingboards for your Apple II machines: Its not honestly the worth the money for most people.)

I tend to turn game music off, especially nowadays where I listen to podcasts while gaming. Back in the days I listened to Classic Rock stations while gaming and thus never cared that the C64 Ultima 5 didn't have music.
Even the games that didn't let you turn em off I just turned the volume down.

And you know, the Duo port is worth a big chunk of change on Ebay. But so is most of the Turbografx/PC Engine library.

Thankfully the best version of Shadow of the Beast was sub 30 price. And is the best way to play that game. It is kind of like how the Amiga version of Defender of the Crown kind of sucks but the Commodore 64 version is fun as shit. Except the Duo has better EVERYTHING than the Amiga original. More colors on sprites, better control, difficulty and continue settings, cinema opening/closing, fucking remix soundtrack that rules...

This kind of stuff is why I give no fucks what platform a game is on. Good is good.

Sometimes its a console port, sometimes not:

10450313_888042407889820_2930348887462646373_o.jpg

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well then I guess I best be steppin then eh?

That's right. Might and Magic 3 on a Commodore 1084 monitor! The sought after TurboDuo CD version. Better audio, slightly reduced graphics, better interface, a bit easier so your archers n shit are actually goddamned USEFUL.

A shame it doesn't work right in emulation though. MnM3 is a right douche to both Ootake and Magic Engine. Gog.com version works fine but Turbo version is a lot more FUN.
(Its kinda backwards with MnM2. In general the PC version looks worse but somehow plays a bit better overall. Go fucking figure that one out!)

But sure, put me down for Dungeon Hack and this game if nobody else steps to the plate. I mean I have MRS WARREN SPECTOR'S BOOK ON THE MM3 ENGINE GAMES after all..
Great, Dungeon Hack is yours!

And I'll be waiting for Pillar of Eternity to release the book, so you have some months to finish M&M 3. I'll hold the game for you until then, what you say? ;)

So pimp the project to these folks! They know their chosen game.
E-mails sent, thanks a lot man. :salute:

flabbyjack

Arcane
Sticky please

I really appreciate your offer man, but Alchemist, another kind soul, volunteered to do the cover illustration already. ;)
I don't see why they can't compete with each other... that way you get the best cover possible.

Alchemist

Arcane
Sticky please

I don't see why they can't compete with each other... that way you get the best cover possible.
Actually I PM'd felipepepe recently to tell him I need to bail out of doing the cover. So I think the task has been offered to Merlkir at this point, but I'm not sure.

I've been working slow, playing just enough MnM3 to keep the battery charged. (The Duo is a an odd duck of a system and my Turbo Everdrive doesn't do savestates or even save simulations so I could back shit up with a Tenneko Bank.)

But I was taking some screencaps for Dungeon Hack and looked at my old Dosbox screencapture folder.

My%2520Shame.PNG

524 screenshots for Crescent Hawk's Inception. (The Battletech game that failed to have content to a level Mechwarrior Online would be embarassed at.) 60 for Gateway to the Savage Frontier. A finished game waiting for an LP and an unfinished one I always get bored a couple hours in of or forget about.

Many good project ideas unfinished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom