Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is this all about & FAQ

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I will compile & edit all content into a cute ~350 page e-book, and make it freely available for download.
I don't want to jew in, but I think it should be only free for RPGCodex/RPG Watch members. A well crafted e-book should be sold on Amazon. On a fair price.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't want to jew in, but I think it should be only free for RPGCodex/RPG Watch members. A well crafted e-book should be sold on Amazon. On a fair price.
This book is being made by the entire community, including AAA developers, indies, bloggers, modders, and fans from various websites. It's only a great book because of all the effort everyone is placing in, for free.

I will not charge a single dime for this, from anyone. And it will be Creative Commons.

Monty

Arcane
Ok, I was just brainstorming. :keepmyjewgold:

J_C is quick to spot an opportunity to cash in: :troll:

As you probably know by now, I’ve decided to take the advice of several Matt Chatters and set up my own Patreon page. Patreon is still new enough to elicit more head scratching than enthusiasm at this point, but I think once you understand it, you’ll agree that it’s a better way to support folks like me than PayPal or Kickstarter.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
felipepepe Small thing. Noticed that you have B.A.T. on the list, but no B.A.T. 2. It's been around 20 years since I played those games, but wasn't the sequel considered the superior one from the two? And as such deserving the spot there (or at least a mention).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe Small thing. Noticed that you have B.A.T. on the list, but no B.A.T. 2. It's been around 20 years since I played those games, but wasn't the sequel considered the superior one from the two? And as such deserving the spot there (or at least a mention).
I'm not familiar with all the games, so I'm asking the reviewers how they want to tackle series like this. They can do one page for each game, a two-page focusing on one and mentioning the sequel/prequel, or whatever else they feel might work best.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just check the list in the other thread Zz, I don't think it's been covered anyway.

Fray

Novice

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sorcerian is on my "if it fits" list. ;)

Amulets & Armor I had never heard about before... I played it for a couple of levels, can't say I was impressed... all I did was fight elven archers and some wizards, although the engine hints at something more complex...

Fray

Novice
It's more of a FPP action game than RPG really. I had fun with it, but then I'm a sucker for games with co-op.

I mention it on account that it's somewhat obscure and you've got witchaven on the list anyway. I realize you've got space constraints though, just thought it might be of interest.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Does it get better later? Like, do you face more interesting enemies & enviroments and have to actually speak with other characters?

Fray

Novice
As far as I know there are no neutral NPCs so there's no dialog beyond the briefing of the quests and the hints and notes you find as you play.

I thought the maps started getting better at the fourth transition point in the first quest, the library. From that point they got steadily better with a few hidden extra treasure rooms and secret passages and a maze or two in later quests. You start to find more magic items, spells and such around that time as well.

I think some of the mages in the first quest cast poison dart instead of magic missile or whatever they cast. I don't remember what mages cast in later quests exactly, probably just some form of direct damage. Enemies supposedly change at night in some areas but I think that was broken in the abandonia version, maybe the dev fixed that since or I wasn't in the right area though. I think the second quest only had melee and crossbow knights, so though the maps get better there in my opinion, the enemies are somewhat more boring, they are a fair amount more deadly though if I recall. Enemy variety picks up on the third quest with 10 different sorts of enemies if you include the boss. So yes, I think it does get better, certainly not without it's flaws though.

The wiki is fairly extensive as far as this sort of thing goes if you want to know more. I also don't mind clarifying anything if I was to vague but it has been a while since I've played it.

http://wiki.amuletsandarmor.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Going very well. I'm lagging behind on some stuff, like sending reviews for the grammar nazis (sorry!), but otherwise it's all good. Most developers have asked for more time to write due E3, but I'm not in a hurry anyway.

Been spending a lot of time checking RPGs I've left out to see if they are worthy to add, and capturing screenshots from games people didn't send me screenshot. The other day I was playing the 1981 Ultima on a Apple II emulator, to get the shots from the original game (instead of the 1986 remake), the other I was getting a image of Ishar's party voting system. I've got authorization to use images from MobyGames, DJ Old Games and CRPG Addict's blog, but some you just can't find anywhere and I have to get myself. Is quite fun still.

I'm also thinking about a preview. I want to make something that media outlets will notice and would help me get the remaining reviews. I first thought about a 30-page preview in a .pdf, but I think that alone will be too little, so I'm considering doing a video, telling the idea as wel as showing stuff that isn't done for a pdf preview. Would be like a kickstarter campaign, but with no kickstarter.

Also, my friends argue that this sub-forum is too unfriendly for casual readers (add "it doesn't scale to their level" joke) and I should create a hotsite for the book, a place with the video, a couple of preview pages and where I can post updates... :?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
MCA sent his Wasteland review. Nice stuff, you can feel that the guy really love games.

Also, been playing around with making an index at the end of the book, but with the game covers:

mGxUixy.png

I would love to feature big cover art in full glory, but the book is already huge the way it is. This way I can make a friendly index and show people the box covers. :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MCA sent his Wasteland review. Nice stuff, you can feel that the guy really love games.

Shoulda been Arcanum :troll:

Also, my friends argue that this sub-forum is too unfriendly for casual readers

What.

Seriously, what?

THIS SUB-FORUM is too unfriendly? :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom