Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is this all about & FAQ

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For veteran players the 90 hard to find, rare, (obscure?) games are really interesting. Simply because they know most of the standard CRPGs already.

On the other hand getting reviews for these rare games is not easy. For CRPG newbies the 210 list is already massive and it'll cost some years of your life to play through.

I'd would say try to get reviews for all games and make the cut later and decide by the quality of the reviews, not by a predefined list.

If the book is getting too big, at least a 10 page article for rarities, underdogs should be in.

Last edited:

Monty

Arcane
I agree with most here, would suggest starting with the 210, having more 2 page reviews and doing it well. This could be the printed version.

But once this is done you could always later expand the E-Book version (only) to include the other 90 obscure games, where space is less of an issue. 210 games is already a huge selection and it seems best to start with relatively fewer games and less in the way of space constraints.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The proofreader in me is now crying in a corner after just having read this thread. I foresee many proofreaders will be needed for this project.

I suggest starting with a modest goal and working towards that. 70 games in a "words, 2 screenies and some highlights" style as standard is a good start, with maybe an option to add 10 more games if necessary.

To be honest I haven't paid much attention to the Top 50 RPGs discussion here on the Codex (because I don't see a reason to do something like that every year) even though I realized that you put a lot of work and passion into it. Now that I have a better idea of why you did it, I'll have a closer look at it later today.

As for game suggestions, I have a few off the top of my head: Albion for it sheer quirkiness and production quality; Anachronox to give the jRPG crowd something to chew on; and finally either Bloodwych or Hired Guns to have some coverage on co-op RPGs. I think only a handful of multiplayer/hot seat/splitscreen RPGs were ever released before the concept kinda became obsolete with MMOGs, and I played at least these two with my friends which led to some bizarre and awesome moments.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
and finally either Bloodwych or Hired Guns to have some coverage on co-op RPGs. I think only a handful of multiplayer/hot seat/splitscreen RPGs were ever released before the concept kinda became obsolete with MMOGs, and I played at least these two with my friends which led to some bizarre and awesome moments.
As a curiosity, I was looking at Swords of Glass, a very early co-op RPG... and found this: http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/SwordsOfGlass/SOG-TheGame.html

A entire website to the game, by some guy that calls himself The Guru.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Excellent. One could write an article about, say, Hired Guns, and mention how Sword of Glass and Bloodwych were a handful of games that tried to make a "party" of players sit in front of the same computer, sharing in the experience.

Bloodwych even had a very crude dialogue system, allowing you to not only talk to some of the humanoids you met, but also trade with them! My friend even managed to make tons of money by abusing a few charm-like spells and looping dialogue options. Then he took it one step further and started summoning illusions and fleecing them for their gold.

Hired Guns took it a step further by allowing up to four players to play on one computer, and playing the campaign with my friends was one of the greatest gaming experiences I remember.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't like the idea of limiting the number of games too much. At least for me personally, the book would be much less interesting without games like Deathlord, Phantasie or Generation Xth.

What I mean is, if you're going for a smaller list, Deathlord, Labyrinth of Touhou and Generation Xth should definitely be in, imo.

(Of course, if this was my project, Labyrinth of Touhou and Generation Xth would get full-fledged two page reviews. You should be glad it isn't my project.)

On the other hand, games like Moebius are imo too inessential. You should just rely on my extensive CRPG knowledge to decide which of the additional games to include. :smug: Knights of Xentar, Whale's Voyage or Hillsfar are by no means essential or recommended, imo. Whale's Voyage is just terrible.

What I mean is, let me comb through the "extended" list and your task will be made much easier. ;)

Also I would suggest a single review for Wizardry I-III, since III in particular introduced some nifty things like party splitting and certain dungeon areas being only accessible to characters of certain alignment.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
On the other hand, games like Moebius are imo too inessential.
While I deeply respect your extensive CRPG knowledge, I find Moebius fascinating. The art style, the eastern theme, the Karateka-style combat... it's absolutely unique.

And that's my sin, I'm too much a "creative-fag". I love to see weird and different approaches to games. That's why I added some games that are extremely ambitious and try new things, even f they fail and end up kind of shitty.

That's why I think I'll go with the big list. This is my pet project, and honestly I wouldn't feel happy not mentioning those games.

Cabelo

Literate
Hey guys, I've just created my account here at Codex to participate into this discussion.

I'm Felipe's friend and I'm trying to support him IRL to achieve this ambitious, but fucking awesome, project.

Just my thoughts about the last posts, I'd love to read about the less common / obscure games, imo they will enrich the content of the book.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the other things about the 300 list is that it will probably be more work, just due to the fact that there are more reviews to make. Two 1-page reviews takes longer to write than one 2-page review, and it will probably be more difficult to find people to write the reviews for those last 90 games, due to them being more obscure.

Anyways, I would be up for writing about some games (BaK, Gothics, some others) if you can't find anybody better.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I would read a book like this mostly for the more obscure titles and obscure development stories, but as you know I am a bit of an artfag too.
I'm not much of a writer but feel free to grab quotes or whatever from any of my RPGC interviews and let me know if you want me to do any funky graphics too (not layout stuff - just smaller things like "icons" and so on).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Prophet Pepepe, you cannot simply leave this as a big compilation of RPG reviews. We must go bigger than that. This must be the RPG Codex Bible. Nothing says "my internet community is better than your welfare peasant and gutter trash gathering" like having our very own Bible. :smug:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Prophet Pepepe, you cannot simply leave this as a big compilation of RPG reviews. We must go bigger than that. This must be the RPG Codex Bible. Nothing says "my internet community is better than your welfare peasant and gutter trash gathering" like having our very own Bible. :smug:
slide-1-728.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
To be fair I thought the first Fallout is alright but FO2 was always too wacky for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom