Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst RPG of all time?

TripJack

Hedonist
doom is the worst rpg i've ever played

Lionheart: Legacy of Crusader. It's one thing to make a boring banal shit game, it's completely another to come up with cool alternative history setting and fuck it up so badly. Wasted potential always gets to me. Also Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (2001 version, not the Gold Box one). Not every game formatted your PC when you tried to uninstall it. Realms of Arcania HD was some insane and inane shit, not to mention being completely unnecessary. Oh, and ArkaniA, while I haven't played it, one can look at Darth Roxor's impressions and see for themselves.

hellbent

Augur
I hear a lot of people citing Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor as one of the worst RPG of all times, I didn't play it, so I can't say for sure, but there seems to be a solid consensus among gamers about it being a horrible game.

The game itself notwithstanding (which was in itself a poor updating of the original SSD Gold Box game), the original installer was bugged so that if you tried to uninstall the game, it would remove critical Windows files.

So, not only did the game itself suck, but not even uninstall.exe helped bring an end to the torment.

hellbent

Augur
Russian shovelware might not really count, but Planet Alcatraz and Konung were awful. Inquisitor's gameplay was outright painful to get through, though the setting was p cool. Some old RPGs just haven't aged well compared to others. Most of the ones that left a negative impression on me were more disappointing than they were unplayable.

Ilintar

Novice
"Worst RPG" is probably some random RPGMaker shit from Steam floating out there.

However, if we take the hype/quality ratio, then I'd say the two biggest disappointments are PoE and Fallout 4. The first one, I played almost to the end, hoping that there'll be some redeeming qualities, but alas, none were to be found. The latter, I stopped after an hour, seeing how horribly uninspiring the story was and how obnoxiously grindy the main mechanics were.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even though RPG maker trash with asset flips are horrible, I don't really see them as proper RPG's in any sense, just cynical attempts at making a buck or two and stroking some spotty faggots ego. Shit like that doesn't even count.

I've a high tolerance to shitty games and can enjoy many longer than I'd care to admit(even if they fail as RPG's I tend to find some fun with them due to other factors), but the biggest turds for me would have to be the games that are a missed opportunity. I find it a lot harder to forgive Fallout 3 for example than Oblivion for obvious reasons. Also Twilight 2000 by Empire was a horribly realised attempt at making a RPG in a great setting. In theory it should have been a winner, but gameplay was so horribly janky, broken and boring that it sits high on my all time most hated list, precisely because I could see what could have been.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Let's see. Skyrim, Oblivion and Fallout 3 and 4 already got mentioned, so that takes care of Todd Howard's excretions. DA:I got mentioned, but not DA2? Huh. I remember Mistmare, glad it got mentioned. Hmm. Alright then.

Low-hanging fruit: Mass Effect Andromeda, because duh.
Actual effort pick: Fountain of Dreams. Imagine the first Wasteland game. Now imagine it being set in post-apoc island Florida, and filled with mutant killer clowns. Oh, and it's not fucking fun. At all.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hear a lot of people citing Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor as one of the worst RPG of all times, I didn't play it, so I can't say for sure, but there seems to be a solid consensus among gamers about it being a horrible game.

It's not that it's horrible, it's just... super boring.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Worst RPG I ever played was your mom. Bitch spent all my gold and didn't even give me a happy ending.

In all seriousness, if it has "Dragon" and "Age" in the title, it is probably one of the worst.

wyes gull

Savant
Probably not the worst but Faery Tale Adventure is the only game I remember having noped on after 20 seconds of play time. This video is probably a fair representation of my playthrough even though I didn't make it.

It remains one of the most ridiculous looking things I ever set eyes on.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can't actually believe noone suggested that yet - Mass Effect: Andromeda was apparently so bad it couldn't even win the worst RPG ever contest. I guess only in time people will start to appreciate what a monumental fuck up this game was. This is literally the videogame counterpart of Phantom Menace. A sequel to a legendary trilogy, eons in the making, prolly THE most anticipated videogame of the year and the result is beyond hillarious.

This game embodies everything that's rotten in the AAA industry PLUS all the toxic SJW vibes in the wider culture. A clear champion.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Can't actually believe noone suggested that yet - Mass Effect: Andromeda was apparently so bad it couldn't even win the worst RPG ever contest. I guess only in time people will start to appreciate what a monumental fuck up this game was. This is literally the videogame counterpart of Phantom Menace. A sequel to a legendary trilogy, eons in the making, prolly THE most anticipated videogame of the year and the result is beyond hillarious.

This game embodies everything that's rotten in the AAA industry PLUS all the toxic SJW vibes in the wider culture. A clear champion.

To be fair, everyone and their mother should have seen the Ass Defect Androgynous trainwreck coming after we met the team working on it (and especially after the obvious pattern of decline starting with ME2 and worsening with ME3)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
From those polls I've been doing, statistically the worst cRPGs that lots of people have played are:

1. Dungeon Siege
2. Dungeon Siege 2

Both of which no-one has yet mentioned. Both getting vastly worse scores than the much mentioned PoR:RoMD, Ultima 9, M&M 9 and even Lionheart.

My pick would be Dragon Age 2. Honestly don't see how this isn't in everyone's posts somewhere (excluding that 2% of weirdos who like it of course). The worst aspect of Dragon Age 2 was there was no game breaking bugs to at least give you an excuse to go back to desktop and stop playing, you had to actively deny yourself a sense of completion via death by a thousand cuts, never knowing for sure if the 576th was the one to tip you over or if you'd just give it till the 580th.

Tycho Brahe

Novice
Dragon Age 2 is not that bad, because Arishok and Meredith, and also that Felicia Day DLC.

It's a mediocre game for sure, but there are far, far worse games.

I cannot think of a single thing that has ever been improved by the inclusion of Felicia Day.
Damn. She's nasty. I mean, yeah, she was hot at first, but later she started talking about her "vag" and married a gross old guy. She self-willingly became a South Park character.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
hellfire-cover-atari.jpg

On a more "logical" note, however: I think "worst ever" has a huge number of definitions.

IMO, Fallout 4 is the worst RPG ever for a good number of reasons:

- It is a 2015 game that didn't improve in any significant way or form on a 1997 game.
- It finished ruining one of the most prestigious RPG franchises of all time.
- It is more shooter than it is RPG.
- It is a terrible RPG for a game that alleges to be a great RPG.
- It's a mediocre game on its own right.

The only thing missing is the "disappointment" label, then again, can hardly call it a disappointment when you see the writing on the wall after FO3 and Skyrim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom