Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst RPG of all time?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
With so many threads about the best RPGs out there, you would think there would have to be one on the worst RPGs; however, there hasn't been one as far as I've noticed; so I've decided to fill the gap in the market. Feel free to discuss what method you think is appropriate for choosing one as well.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Depends a lot... objectively speaking, there's some terrible, unplayable crap from the 80s, like Ultima: Escape from Mount Drash or Alien Fires 2199 A.D.

Then there's the issue of huge disappointments... Descent to Undermountain, Ruins of Myth Drannor, Wasteland 2, Lands of Lore 3, Dungeon Lords, Hellgate: London, Gothic 4, Might and Magic IX, etc...

And there's games that a lot of people enjoy but their terrible design personally offends you - Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, etc.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Ultima: Escape from Mount Drash
Never heard of this so I looked it up -

Doesn't look good, but the music is fantastic for VIC-20. Every single floor has its own song, and they're pretty enjoyable. I can think of very few games from 1983 or before with better music. This is pretty cool.

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Ultima: Escape from Mount Drash
Doesn't look good, but the music is fantastic for VIC-20. Every single floor has its own song, and they're pretty enjoyable. I can think of very few games from 1983 or before with better music. This is pretty cool.

Don't know about playability but it actually looks quite impressive for that era...

My vote would also be for Descent to Undermountain. Couldn't even get the fucking thing to run on my PC back then.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Mistmare - RPG so bad nobody remember it, even in TOP5/10/15/50/100 Worst RPGs of All Time.
There was old LP here from Mistmare but I'm afraid it was hosted on PhotoBorked and will not work anymore. Whoever did this LP deserve a post (sanity) mortem medal for dealing with it.
I remember trying this game but attacking and any form of action and interaction did not worked for some reason and I already played some games with not-so-much steamlined controls.

Mistmare is a 2003 action role-playing game from Arxel Tribe set in alternate medieval Europe. It follows the adventures of a member of Inquisition who is trying to stop the spread of deadly magical fog that haunts the land. The game is known for its various bugs and hard difficulty. It was one of only three games to receive a zero-star review in Computer Gaming World magazine.

Deadly fog? In alternative medieval Europe? That ring a bell...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Descent to Undermountain, shit's so broken it's not even fun as a bad game

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Russian roguelike "Зачистка Хьерварда" probably takes the cake.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mistmare - RPG so bad nobody remember it, even in TOP5/10/15/50/100 Worst RPGs of All Time.
There was old LP here from Mistmare but I'm afraid it was hosted on PhotoBorked and will not work anymore. Whoever did this LP deserve a post (sanity) mortem medal for dealing with it.

V_K

Arcane
I played Mistmare almost to the end (the ending bugged out), it wasn't that bad, and had a ton of cool ideas. Another year of testing and development, and it could have been good.
The worst ones I remember playind were the Golden Land series. The ambition was, apparently, to have a Fallout clone in a Slavic fantasy setting, but in practice both games were a series of numerous (hundreds in the case of the second one) fetch/FedEx quests punctuated by random battles on the world map and connected by a nonsensical plot. There wasn't a single dungeon in either game, nor a single quest that wasn't fetch/FedEx.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Probably one of the dozens of lazy RPG Maker garbage games that hit STEAM in the recent years. Though you could argue that since they were made in RPG make they are at least somewhat playable and interface is halfway decent. If not one of them then probably some garbage Japanese sex-game also made in RPG Maker. However I would hate to be the one to play through all these garbage games to determine which is the worst of the worst.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Oh yes, Gorasul... I remember it was one of my first computer RPG on my first machine and don't remember bad thing about it.
It was bitch to run (had to emulate WinXP machine) years later and it's meh? Don't see anything extraordinary bad, just... it's bland and boring. Yeah your personal talking weapon that boost your stats and abilities was neat but underwhelming in longer term.
Oh and mage is OP. I must admit there are a lot of spells here and most of them were not useless like it happen in other RPGs like [redacted] or [redacted].

M&M IX... buttugly (you must be mentally challenged to switch engine and get even shorter time for developement, like holy shit you must be put in cage for something that stupid) with bugs (even with fanmade 1.3 version there are problems like enemies clipping in the walls and floors in the mission where you had to clear the place out).
Al least dungeons were decent (can't say the same about M&M VII and VIII or X).

Legend - Hand of God maybe? Average action RPG where you find "nice touch" idea like enemies actually dodging attack, where in other games you swing weapon, it get through enemies but hit is not registered because videogames and their logic...
Then you find out that dual wielding skill have 100% chance to 1hit-kill everything including final boss.
And it was the only Collector's Edition I ever had in my life :negative:

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Fallout 4 is probably the top of my list at the moment.

As felipepepe said there are countless shitty RPGs which are much worse, but I don't tend to play them or remember them for long.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I am not nearly the gamer many of you are. I find a game I like, and either play it to death or mod it, or both.

So, I usually just get exposed to the bigger releases.

Skyrim was and is a gigantic boring pile of shit that I am disappointed in myself for buying. It qualifies for this thread, because the hype was large for such a trash game that somehow many people enjoyed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom