Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst decline? (30+ option multi answer poll.)

Which of these things is the worst trend in games made today? (Multiple votes allowed)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I figure with so many options it just wouldn't be a decent poll with a single vote per person. So vote for whichever thing or things piss you off the most. I tried to think of everything but... so much fucking decline.

pippin

Basically dlc, drm and microtransaction scams. Don't know about preorder stuff, because nobody really forces you to preorder, but you were forced to suffer through infinite layers of drm if you wanted to play GTA: San Andreas, for instance, like it was a fucking lasagna. The fucked up thing in this is that preorder items are often crappy low tier items or, even worse, pure cosmetic stuff. Then there's bullshit like Bioware points or certain DLCs being available only for Origin users, in the case of Mass Effect.
Token characters are tragically hilarious, since it's the perfect display of amerikwa's white guilt. It's funnier to realize they force the world to appreciate their "diversity", while few other countries are as diverse as america is.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mostly voted for money based crap myself, I think it's enabling a lot of shit games to sell better than they should. Though forced tutorials for obvious shit hold a special place in my heart (which only has special places for things I hate.)

I voted pre order bonuses myself because I think they're one of the biggest factors for AAA games making money when they shouldn't. Even if some people know there is a decent chance the game will be shit, if they have to choose between taking that risk or playing it safe but never having a 'full' version of the game because they missed the preorder bonus, they'll get suckered in. It's pure manipulative marketing bullshit, just like DLC or pay to win games.

polo

Magister
Everything is totally fine. 100% incline age.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DLC, I don't really give a fuck about prices because I pirate that shit anyway but fuck it, I want the big expansion packs of yore to return, where you paid 30 euros and got a solid package of content that was at least half as big as the main game, rather than ten 5 euro DLCs that add an hour of content each, just small episodes rather than one coherent whole that an expansion pack would deliver. Sometimes there is still expansion-sized DLC, and I gladly pay money for that if it's good, like Shadowrun Returns' Dragonfall DLC.

Fucking DRM. I recieved a legal copy of Might and Magic X for free, but uuugh, I feel like it would actually be a lot more convenient if I had pirated it because of that fucking uplay shit, it's such bullshit. I just want to play a fucking game, and I want to own it independently from any dumb fucking online accounts, thank you very much. I might even pirate the game later just so I have a backup copy that is not bound to any account. Fucking bullshit.

Dumbing down complexity for idiots, or for "balance reasons" which is basically just dev laziness. Best example is Daggerfall -> Morrowind -> Oblivion -> Skyrim. Daggerfall and Morrowind were games that amazed me with their great character customization, so many skills to learn, so many different equipment slots for mix-and-match armour, and enchanted clothing over the armour too, wow so cool! Then comes Oblivion and hurr durr, less skills, and way less equipment slots. In Skyrim they made the whole underlying RPG system with stats and skills even more rudimentary and reduced equipment slots again. Haha. Fuck this shit. I want more options, not less, you lazy fucks.

Also, SPEND THAT GODDAMN MONEY ON MORE CONTENT FOR THE GAME YOU RIDICULOUS CUNTS, DO YOU REALLY THINK GAMES SHOULD BE ADVERTISED IN FUCKING TV, WHAT THE FUCK GUYS

laclongquan

Arcane
General lack of content reflect several other options' obvious outcome.

Pay to win scheme? Fuck that, it just lead to overpower item and simplified gameplay. Cant get pass unpassable enemies? Buy stuffs!

Dumbing down for idiots is never a good idea. Never.

forced fed PC in mah gamez? Fuck that.

Things made for handheld instead of proper computer in this day and age mean low res graphic for graphic-intensive game.... What's the point?

Fucking DRM just mean another gateway to open our data to marketers!@q$#@$@#$

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
how amusing to see the political correctness strawman being more oppressive than lack of content and/or IP raping.

stay classy, WCDS :salute:

Voted DRM because everything else at least makes sense business wise, in that you are doing them because it's an economical advantage and/or there are people willing to pay for those things. DRM on the other hand is outright retarded for everyone involved.

HvH8yOE.jpg

Oh, and kingcomrade.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Bloated budgets in general, and all that sweet precious money used on such great improvements that you can't even notice when you are playing the game. Like Diablo 3 was not expensive comparing to other AAA's but probably half of its budget went on shitmatics (still best part of that game).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bullshit monetary scams means i won't buy the game until i see a reasonable offer (and if all else fails, i can always remove shit from inventory).

Popamole bullshit games i won't buy at all. So shit games is the primary cause of decline for me.

mondblut

Arcane
What's a "DRM" and a "paid DLC"? :smug:

Dumbing down and aspiring to sell to everybody and their long dead grandmother is the decline. Everything else either concerns isolated gaming subtypes I have zero interest in, or can be bypassed with a few google searches.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
i personally don't hate any of those things, because i've never ever felt for any of them.
i've never bought a game that i know im not going to like
and if i ever did buy one, it was a good lesson learned from a costumer and developer point of view.

either way, none of the toxic things most people swear is killing the industry has affected me as a client in any way.
maybe because im not a complete fucking retard.

but kingcomrade on the other hand

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dumbing down complexity remind me about JA2 failed successors. Who could guess the only decent title was real time combat russian bug infested shovelware?

Difficulty? Well, few problems with it. First - people don't have ball to set fucking Easy when they start the game, which force devs to make standard difficulty setting pretty offensive for human with working brain. Second problem - most high difficulties cases are basicaly cheating. Fuck that shit.

Cutscenes? Not that much as long as Esc key work. Game that's interactive movie? I got game for play not watch ffs, otherwise I would go to cinema or watch TV.

My other idea for poll options? Maybe too much caricatural and colourful artstyle. It's tedious after awhile.
Fear that your customers are not smart enough for some options. Which lead to lack of them see JA2 vs JA BiA.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Shitty DLC (meaning cut content and lack of good/ambitious expansions), lack of content, budget in the wrong places, dumbing down complexity (not difficulty per se), pandering to all audiences (more specifically: inflated budgets meaning that all games have to sell an insane amount of copies so nobody can dare to take a risk), DRM bullshit and - and this only applies to games that otherwise would be or could be good - early access purgatory.

I'd love if games were good enough despite that shit that I could get worried about political correctness but that's way down the fucking list. Can't think of any good games that have been spoiled by it.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I've voted for few things(like microtransactions and so on) but the most retarded thing is pandering to everybody. Majority of people have played more than one genre in their life, they can accept some diversity in gameplay, and making a game fit for everybody results in a game fit for nobody.

Borelli

Arcane
Where is the "all of the above" option?:argh:

I voted lack of content, pay to win and dumbing down. Other things are bad too but as long as the game has challenge they can be tolerated. But when you dumb down a game you are left with nothing.

pippin

Games released in chapters could be considered as well. Many people are doing this now, and it's just an excuse for the laziness of the companies in my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom