Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer what is the best mario game

Mustawd

*Pressing CTRL + F and then typing Super Mario Land*
Not found.

You alle should play some Super Mario Land for the Game Boy. I hope I gave this thread some value with my recommendation.

:roll:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*Pressing CTRL + F and then typing Super Mario Land*
Not found.

You alle should play some Super Mario Land for the Game Boy. I hope I gave this thread some value with my recommendation.

I did. It's fun, but I wouldn't even dream of comparing it to SMB3 or SMW.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
3 is the best, while the Doki Doki Panic reskin and 64 are also very good. Of course, SMB is a true classic and a supremely amusing game on its own. Yoshi Island didn't have bad music, but that's about it. Never played World or the newest ones, which I assume all suck.

Btw, great thread Night Goat.

SquidLord

Educated
I was going to be an ass and say Mario 64 because I personally don't like it. Then I remembered Mario is Missing is a thing and if you don't think Mario is Missing is worse then SMB3 then my sentence is going to trail off an leave you unsatisfied with the finish.

pippin

I don't really like Mario 64. Imo it has aged pretty badly. There were lots of weird Mario games, some of them even for PC, in fact I think the guy who does Mario's voice had his first appearance in one of those games. Anyway, other than 3 and World, I'd say Yoshi's Island is the best of them all. One of the best SNES games too.

There were lots of weird Mario games, some of them even for PC

U mean pirate DOS game?

mario5.gif

Damn, unnoficial Mario games were awsum, do you guyz remember proto-Smash Bros called Kart Fighter on NES?

latest
kartfighterscreen02.png

Or cult classic Mario Fighter 3, also on NES?

MarioFIII_Title.png
Mario_Fighter_III_%28Unl%29_%5B!%5D-1.png

Or unholy spawn of both Sonic and Mario called Somari?

latest
Somari.gif

Meh. Call me a hipster, but even though I enjoyed SMB3 and SMW, I would rather play either Galaxy over either of them. Matter of fact I occasionally do. The Galaxy games are just pure joy distilled.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing that keeps me from saying Galaxy is truly great is the waggle stuff.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dude, why are you talking about Doki Doki Panic in a Mario thread?

That's just silly.

Ivan

Arcane
3D World> Galaxy, bruh
but World>3

but 64 did have this, so

OH MY GOD

do any of you faggots remember the clocktower level in 64?
FUCK THAT LEVEL. FIDDLING WITH THE CAMERA GAVE ME AIDS.

Lemming42

Arcane
Doki Doki Panic is absolutely rock solid. It's possible to make a convincing argument for it being the best Mario game, despite not even being a Mario game. It's got such a wonderfully bizarre atmosphere to it and the different character abilities make the game really replayable. Oh, and the overworld theme is better than any true Mario game.

Anyway, the best Mario game is SMB3, with 64 (either version, DS is slightly better) and Doki Doki Panic close behind. Rest can go in whatever order, SMB1 and World are high up. Mario Kart is gay and overrated. Oh, and the real, actual, Japanese SMB2 for Famicom is awful, it's just a bunch of bullshit gimmicky traps which you have to beat with memorization and trial and error rather than skill.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
SMB3 > SMB2 > SM World ... That was about the time when I stopped playing Super Mario games and switched to RPG's.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
^

@TC

I think SMB3 holds up the best, especially in the All Stars version. I have a soft spot for SMW because I played it a lot as a kid and found all the secrets myself. I do think 3 is more innovative and entertaining in the long run. SMW suffers from being easy, like most modern Mario games. I think Galaxy/2 have amazing production values, but I don't enjoy playing them as much. I thought M64 was the best game when it came out, but I agree with the guy who said it didn't age well. Do you remember, in Galaxy 2, that stage that is just a stage from M64? The level design is so much worse; it really hasn't aged well, the graphics particularly. The controls and camera are still aces, though. And no, it's not the N64. Banjo-Kazooie aged really well, graphically, and the level design in OoT still stands out to me as brilliant, particularly after playing games that lacked good level design.

My personal favorite, though, is Super Mario RPG because I find it very enjoyable.

SMW 2 (Yoshi's Island) was the only game in the gaming mag of my childhood to get an A+. And I agree that it's absolutely beautiful, but somehow, it never clicked with me.

I'm so happy when I can talk about video games.
:love:

The Fish

Arcane
Yoshi's island is the best for me. The enemy variety was great and had enemies peculiar to every level. The failure system was soft but could still induce some tension, it feels similar to ICO in having the player desperately scramble to save their charge, removing instant deaths but not necessarily the challenge. It could benefit from being more difficult but the same is true for every official mario game. The environments had lots of interesting aspects as well - fake 3d stuff, platform switches, skiing levels, drug induced world deformation.

And just look at the variety in boss fights:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom