Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ What games should have been powered by what engines?

Interesting topic: I think Thief 3 would have been done better in the Doom 3 engine, with its dynamic lighting, and focus on shadows. Yes, I am aware there is a mod. I am stating the whole game would have worked better.

With Skyrim (Elder Scrolls in general), I almost wanted to see it done in the latest Crytek engine. I trust Bethesda no more with in-house engines than I do with initial buggy releases, complete with dragons flying backwards.

For the record: I did not see Alice: Madness Returns married to the Unreal engine--too blocky, seems to lack the aesthetics of the first game. Great game, but not really a fan of Unreal, even if it is easier to use, it seems to water everything down with blocky modeling and jerky animation, though McGee did a great job with the tools, regardless. The later renditions have improved on texturing, but I still think it is just "easy," rather than being very versatile for the buck. Think T3, again, with its lack of water/swimming.

I also had the same problem with Dark Messiah, which I did not see in the Source engine, due to the consistent loading times, and the sandboxy nature of gameplay. Open world design requires great physics, but less load screens screwed up my HL2 experience, and in a more sandboxy environment, streaming textures become an obvious choice. Not to say the game didn't progress linearly, but in some areas I think load screen detracted from the frantic drive toward the next battle, slowing everything down. Plus, you could tackle multiple objectives at once, such as taking down enemies in any fashion.

I had the same problem with Bloodlines, though they made good use of Source--too many loading screens, even with phenomenal physics.

Arx Fatalis seemed to require the Doom engine as well, IMHO. Or something with more shadowing. ;)

I am not sure what engines would have been appropriate for the last three games, but I am definitely stuck on Doom 3, and Crytek, respectively, for the first two.

What prior games should have been done in what engines? No trolling please. This is a topic for debate, more of a survey than a person attack on anyone's choice of engine.

I had the same problem with X-Men--if it had been done decades prior, I would have cast a Schwarzenegger as Colossus, and a younger Jack Nicholson as Wolverine. Patrick Stewart was an obvious choice for Professor Xavier, and they picked him, though I'd already set him in my mind as the role. Anyway, back to topic...

Survey: What games, in what engines!? ;)

A horse of course

You're thinking only in terms of grafix when you should be considering other issues. The benefit of Skyrim on the Not-Gnomebro engine was that they could port a lot of the file systems and code from previous titles. Moving a TES or Fallout title to IDTech or Cryengine could potentially involve rebuilding a fucktonne of shit almost from the ground up. At some point it has to be done, however.

You're thinking only in terms of grafix when you should be considering other issues. The benefit of Skyrim on the Not-Gnomebro engine was that they could port a lot of the file systems and code from previous titles. Moving a TES or Fallout title to IDTech or Cryengine could potentially involve rebuilding a fucktonne of shit almost from the ground up. At some point it has to be done, however.

Good point. I'm not a programmer, so I'm only going by aesthetics and what I see in-game, such as physics. How far you would have to mod the engine would be another consideration...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xenonauts in the Silent Storm engine. I would like to say JA2 but that engine is/was pretty good already, so I have to go with Xenonauts. My reason. Well, while Xenonauts is a pretty good game, but it felt kinda limited because of the engine. It is supposed to be a 3D-world but it just feels flat in certain places, and the developer had a hell of time getting it to work. Silent Storm engine is just fantastic for turn-based games. Fully destructive environment which would have done so much for an X-com influenced game.

Edit:

And I might add that it would probably be a lot easier for modders to make weapons and stuff with 3d-models, instead of having to paint 2D-sprites 300 times for every soldier variant/stance/direction and so on :)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Arx Fatalis seemed to require the Doom engine as well, IMHO. Or something with more shadowing.
Actually there is project of that called Arx - End of the Sun. Few years into developement and recently creator go from entries to simple updates in things similiar to shoutbox. Good potential but doing it alone take too much time.

Alice: Madness Returns in UE? Maybe in UE4 (cause we don't see casualities games from it yet), not in the UE2 and most definitely not UE3.
Thief3 on UE2 was borked but that was because consoles (PS2/Xbawx era). And swimming was in UT2003. No idea why they forbidden it in T3. Console limits? Nah. More like animations problem.

There was also project to make Stalker games in CryTek engine, there is even floating alpha version. So much potential. Now the old creators turned it into Crysis 1 clone with small Stalker influences. Little bleh.

A horse of course

Gnome-Mod + Radiant AI

cWYvbJN.gif

Xenonauts in the Silent Storm engine. I would like to say JA2 but that engine is/was pretty good already, so I have to go with Xenonauts. My reason. Well, while Xenonauts is a pretty good game, but it felt kinda limited because of the engine. It is supposed to be a 3D-world but it just feels flat in certain places, and the developer had a hell of time getting it to work. Silent Storm engine is just fantastic for turn-based games. Fully destructive environment which would have done so much for an X-com influenced game.

Edit:

And I might add that it would probably be a lot easier for modders to make weapons and stuff with 3d-models, instead of having to paint 2D-sprites 300 times for every soldier variant/stance/direction and so on :)

Good call. I 100% second this opinion. Bravo.

Arx Fatalis seemed to require the Doom engine as well, IMHO. Or something with more shadowing.
Actually there is project of that called Arx - End of the Sun. Few years into developement and recently creator go from entries to simple updates in things similiar to shoutbox. Good potential but doing it alone take too much time.

Alice: Madness Returns in UE? Maybe in UE4 (cause we don't see casualities games from it yet), not in the UE2 and most definitely not UE3.
Thief3 on UE2 was borked but that was because consoles (PS2/Xbawx era). And swimming was in UT2003. No idea why they forbidden it in T3. Console limits? Nah. More like animations problem.

There was also project to make Stalker games in CryTek engine, there is even floating alpha version. So much potential. Now the old creators turned it into Crysis 1 clone with small Stalker influences. Little bleh.

Again, 100% agree.

UE4, and Stalker would certainly look neat in the Crytek engine.

Never heard of the Arx project, Doom 3 engine was unrated, game was a terrible tech demo.

Also, not only does UE2 have terrible animation, it has terribly blocky modeling. Even the original Alice, on Quake 2 engine, had better curvature to the architecture. :)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Allright, looks like they used that engine well, and didn't made similiar mistakes like other titles that made stereotypes on this engine...

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo Gamebryo

Allright, looks like they used that engine well, and didn't made similiar mistakes like other titles that made stereotypes on this engine...

There were a few blocky polygonal models, but American McGee is quite an ace as far as artistic quality. He manages to cover some of the dredge with creative talent, and intriguing and exciting locations. There were a few tearing textures, that's all. I will definitely buy Alice in Otherlands if/when it comes out. :)

sser

Arcane
Developer
Jagged Alliance 3 with the Silent Storm engine.

That's all. It was even in the news. It was going to happen. It didn't happen. It won't ever happen. I'm having flashbacks about it not happening already...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That's all. It was even in the news. It was going to happen. It didn't happen. It won't ever happen. I'm having flashbacks about it not happening already...
Really? Who was making that?

sser

Arcane
Developer

Really? Who was making that?

Presumably Strategy First. I read about it in a PCGamer article many years ago. Here's a trailer:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I did not know this, and now I want to cry.

I wonder why it was canceled. It looked pretty good already!

Jackalope

Arcane
I'm gonna have fun and say something crazy: Fallout New Vegas as a 2D turn-based game. HBS's Shadowrun engine would work. Doesn't really matter as long as it's not Gamebryo. Gamebryo can kiss my shorts!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom