Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game can just be picked up and played?

Repressed Homosexual
To me this is the biggest thing that Steam developers are missing. When you're a parent and you have kids and a wife to take care of, and a demanding job, it doesn't mean that you won't play any RPGs, but often you just don't have a lot of mental energy and you want to play something, but something that is simple and easy, without tons of convoluted stuff to take into account, or gimmicks like "physics puzzle gameplay".

What are some great games on PC that you can easily pick up and play and invest a lot of time into?

Siobhan

Arbiter
Desktop Dungeons. Easy to learn, hard to master. The Minesweeper of the monocled RPG connoisseur.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mostly action stuff.

• Bleed
  • Broforce
  • Cave Story
  • Dark Void Zero
  • Gunpoint
  • Hotline Miami
  • Worms: Armageddon
  • Metal Slug
  • SteamWorld Dig
  • Bastard Bonds
  • One Way Heroics
  • FTL

Most of this is off of my Steam Library.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Gary Grigsby's War in the East.

Tetris is pretty approachable, too.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Enjoy [NAME], the quirky indie platformer with a stunning artstyle and memorable soundtrack! "I enjoyed it" -TotalBiscuit, 4/4

Fuck "easy-to-pick-up" games. Steam is infested with them.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To me this is the biggest thing that Steam developers are missing. When you're a parent and you have kids and a wife to take care of, and a demanding job, it doesn't mean that you won't play any RPGs, but often you just don't have a lot of mental energy and you want to play something, but something that is simple and easy, without tons of convoluted stuff to take into account, or gimmicks like "physics puzzle gameplay".

What are some great games on PC that you can easily pick up and play and invest a lot of time into?

Shovel Knight?

Or Thomas Was Alone.

Obviously Stardew Valley.

Bioshock series.

Mass Effect 2-3.

Gears of War series.

Uncharted series.

Telltale games adventure "games."

Obviously you should consider getting a Nintendo Switch/Wii U/3DS and play Nintendo games, including old virtual console games. Mega Man, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, etc provide a lot of entertainment.

Uh, all Valve and Blizzard games (if you never want to be heard from again), including the Portal series.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Most of them?
Unless you want to finish them but even then most games are dumbproof if there were mistakes in the begining or the middle of playthrough.

Repressed Homosexual
Thank you for the non-troll suggestions...I guess I mean games that can be picked up and played but have some substance to them, and aren't based around a gimmick or fluff like most indie games.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
get any old-school FPS like Doom, Douk, Blood or Marathon and just finish one level at a time whenever you feel like it

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thank you for the non-troll suggestions...I guess I mean games that can be picked up and played but have some substance to them, and aren't based around a gimmick or fluff like most indie games.
For me adventure games work, like Primordia, Technobabylon, etc. Other than that, you can do the usual indie platformers like already mentioned, or a game of Civilization (4) which just plays on auto-pilot, for me at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom