Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Far Cry 3. While the story is crap and the gameplay really isn't holding up and the actual gunplay feels stifled I do enjoy it enough to want to actually finish the fucking thing. Moments like sneaking around an ancient Jap submarine base are also nice.

Not to mention those Chinese underground ruins. Amazing scene design hackneyed by fucking railroaded gameplay.

deuxhero

Arcane
Dynasty Warriors 7 : Empires. Fuck yes. Pity about the Jap only voices but w/e. Playing as a custom and joined the Yellow Turbans. :salute:
is it any good...?

I'm part of the subgroup in the Warriors community that slurps up any of the 'empires' games up with little to no criticism so I would say yes its good. :oops: If I have any criticisms its that you're pretty much the only competent member of your ruler's army. Maybe its just my shitty luck, but Cao Cao was taking territory after territory then I joined up and he failed to win any battle I didn't personally take part in. Theres also the usual 'it gets old quick' problem that pretty much any of the warriors games have, but thats a given at this point.

I do have a few other issues with the game, but they have little to do with it specifically and more to do with the series itself. Mostly the lack of certain people as proper characters and the inclusion of certain people as proper characters and a few cosmetic grievances here and there. To quote IGN :lol: (laugh it up), 7Empires preaches to the choir. If you didn't like any of the Warriors games this won't change your mind, increased focus on the strategic elements be damned, but if you like to slurp up any and all games in the series in general this is right up your alley.

EDIT: Also Goddamn. What is it with Japan and these squeaky child voices for female characters ?

EDIT 2 : Roman Warriors needs to be made btw, imo. Also empires expack for every musou game, don't care whether it makes in context or not. :x

I played the demo and took 5+ tries to beat it, and only then very narrowly (sliver of health and 12 seconds). Am I missing something important (I assume I am as I didn't figure out what the point of the bases was and they have to be there for a reason)?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I still can't believe I finished the game without a hint book when I was younger.
It's really not a difficult game. Every puzzle is pure trial and error, so there's never really an obstacle to progression - you just keep trying all combinations of stones, then all passages in the maze, then all potion combinations, etc, until you get to the next "puzzle". It's a pretty shit game TBH, if you just look at gameplay quality, but the presentation is so well done that you get carried away with it. It's very typical of Westwood games from the mid-90s in this respect. It's Westwood's LOL1 in the land of adventure games.

Also, fuck you, LOK3 is the best and most awesome. Though everyone probably hates it because it's a CRPG :smug:

People keep calling SS series a spiritual successor to Doom, which is like calling a disco ball a spiritual successor to the Sistine Chapel.
Well at the time it was a throwback to Doom-style gameplay, when all other FPSs were going the Half-Life way. No endless cutscenes, no NPCs to talk to, no endless linear corridors (well... fewer endless linear corridors), just open spaces with lots of enemies to mow down. If anything it's more like Plutonia Experiment than like original Doom, though I've always thought it as closer to DN3D anyway due to one-liners, general attitude of Sam (especially before he lost his glasses) and heavy (and very clever) use of scripts to enhance level design and monster killing as opposed to scripts that you just watch (Half-Life style).

Was a good game. Second Encounter was even more fun. Too bad series went derp afterwards.

Amazing scene design hackneyed by fucking railroaded gameplay.
Funny, even Far Cry had this problem in some of its levels, but every game in both FC and Crysis franchises has managed to make this worse with every iteration, when the LACK of railroading was FC1's major strength and by far its most attractive feature.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Just beat Doom 3. Quite good in my opinion, the pace got more and more frantic and the game was fun as hell. Propably the best corridor shooter there is, though FEAR is a good competitor. I'm debating with myself if I should bother with The Suffering or Area 51, both apparently freeware nowadays. On another note I solved my fps problems with GTA IV, how? Plugging in a gamepad. Goddamn consolitis affecting even performance now... Now it runs fine but it randomly turns on gamepad controls and surprise surprise, you can't turn back kb+m until you restart the game. Fun.

The Hotline Miami achievement hunting continues...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The Suffering is terrible. It starts out well and very quickly turns into a series of overly-long wave-survival arenas, followed by full health and ammo restoration, followed by a token spooky corridor, repeat. I gave up about a third of the way in.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I didn't find The Suffering very fun but whatever, I thought I'd finish it. Then at some point a script broke (I think it was on a beach), the game saved the checkpoint and I had no early saves. Between starting over again and dropping the game, well, I chose the easy one.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Thanks for the tips, I think I'll pass both. Got enough good games to play so I don't have to endure the worse ones (hurr durr finished Darksiders though).

circ

Arcane
SKYRIM

And I have never played a more buggy game. Ever. NEVER EVER EVAR. Obsidian, you suck try harder.

CTD because there are too many save files in the saves folder? Sure, I'll get right on that player person.
CTD becaue Bethtard can't into shadows? No problem! AND THOSE SHADOWS LOLU. WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE BECAUSE THEY SURE AS FUCK DON'T LOOK LIKE LOLSHADOWS.
CTD just for the fuck of it because there's no log or error message? OK!

ALMOST EVERY SINGLE QUEST HAS A CHANCE OF BUGGING THE FUCK OUT. ALMOST EVERY SINGLE ONE.

HI GOD PERSON I JUST FINISHED THIS QUEST FOR YOU... OH WAIT NO DON'T DROP ME FROM UP HERE I'LL... FUCKING DIE.

This is after 2 years of patching. 2 fucking years what the fuck are you doing??

AND OH GOD THAT FOLLOWER AI. NO FUCKING STOP I TOLD YOU TO WAIT DON'T GO UP THE TOWER HUNTING THAT BANDIT. AND... YOU DUMB SHIT YOU PUSHED ME OVER THE CLIFF ARE YOU SURE YOU'RE WITH ME?? OH I'M DEAD TOO.

BUT. IF YOU WANT SOME MOAR OF THAT GOOD SHIT, INSTALL DAWNGUARD. CTD NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? OK, WE INTRODUCE GAMU FREEZING. HOW THAT? NICE HUH?

There are a shitload of mods. And I got myself some big tits and hot sweaty skin. And massive fucking muscles on one character. You can add cloaks, change the interfacu and so on. But no one seems to have noticed the shitquests or that there are like 5 people voicing about 500 people. GOOD JOB.

WHAT TEH FUCK BETHESDA. SERIOUSLY. WHAT THE FUCK.

circ

Arcane
Performance is not a problem in Skyrim? Please stop the bullshits. Shit they made the shadows drain CPU instead of the GPU because they couldn't make it work on consoles otherwise. That in itself introduced a shitload of problems. I'd blame mods or drivers except it happens without mods too, undending CTD's as early as meeting Anduil or whatever for the first time as you're about to get your head chopped off. You must be playing some kind of special version, because even with the latest patch shit is broken as fuck. Also, please install Dawnguard.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've had Skyrim crash on me only a small handful of times, ever. Maybe 5-10 times at most in almost 200 hours. As far as I recall, most of those crashes were more or less after the game came out and before patches. Performance is also totally fine although it could be better (the shadows are an obvious sticking point).

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas. Finally. Imma wandering the Mojave in a true prospector fashionL clunky eyebot floating above, lesbian Bitch-On-Steroid on my side, trusty varmint rifle in hand.

EDIT: it's not that I hate Veronica or anything. It's just the BOS monicker making such a cheap shot.

Cool name

Arcane
After leaving it on hiatus I just went back to playing through the entire Resident Evil saga. Zero in Hard with no bonus things unlocked is going to give me a few white hairs. Bloody pair of Hunters on a bloody small room full of bloody small cages piled everywhere. Bloody fight with the Tyrant in a really small room when all my bloody equipment is on a location I can't return to until I bloody kill him. Bloody leech zombies in narrow corridors where you can't dodge for bleep. Bloody pair of Hunters on a winding narrow catwalk where you can't dodge for bleep either. Bloody small inventory with six slots when all real weapons do take two. And those small monkeys... THOSE SMALL MONKEYS! :mad:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Finally got Call of Warhammer working, so theres that.

Oh, I'd probably get better results asking in the jrpg forum, but has any of the japfans here heard anything about SRW Alpha translation ? Aeon Genesis page is stuck at 65% and I'm not even sure if the team is still alive.

oscar

Arcane
Call of Warhammer as Hochland. My leader randomly decided to start worshipping Chaos (suppousedly my piety score was too low?) and now I'm at war with the rest of the Empire surrounded by other states.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Working my way towards Berlin in the Red Turn campaign for Unity of Command. Many potato conscripts died to bring potatoland into loving embrace of Mother Russia :salute:

Tytus

Arcane
I'm trying to get into NWN2 cause I never finished but the horrible beginning/tutorial village is defeating me with sheer boredom. For some reason every Obsidian RPG game has an atrocious start (Kotor 2, Nwn2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas). So I started reading Forgotten Realms and Campaign books instead. Still counts as a game, right?

Rpgsaurus Rex

I'm trying to get into NWN2 cause I never finished but the horrible beginning/tutorial village is defeating me with sheer boredom. For some reason every Obsidian RPG game has an atrocious start (Kotor 2, Nwn2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas). So I started reading Forgotten Realms and Campaign books instead. Still counts as a game, right?
To jerk off / not jerk off on Simbul's tits is a viable C&C, if I remember my childhood correctly.

Tytus

Arcane
To jerk off / not jerk off on Simbul's tits is a viable C&C, if I remember my childhood correctly.

So I can't even choose the body part I want to jerk off onto? Lame. This is not true C&C.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't there a mod to skip starting village in NWN2?
Or maybe I mistake it for a BG mod that skips Candlekeep or a BG2 mod that skips Irenicus' Lair.

Anyway, on topic: Brutal Legend. Fuck yeah!

Tytus

Arcane
Wasn't there a mod to skip starting village in NWN2?
Or maybe I mistake it for a BG mod that skips Candlekeep or a BG2 mod that skips Irenicus' Lair.

Anyway, on topic: Brutal Legend. Fuck yeah!

I would rather play the game without modifications - it feels like cheating to me - so I haven't even checked. I probably would have go through some romance mods to find it - like full romance with Neeshka or something. :P

Brutal Legend - you mean the game with an awesome world but atrocious game mechanics? But you're playing on the PC. The game always felt a little like so Sacrifice or Citizen Kabuto (when in it came to commanding the troops) so maybe PC controls are better.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ewww! Brutal Legend is a fucking terrible game. A hilarious everything else, but sweet gods of metal the gameplay is such a pile of dull & awkward fail.
I'm actually enjoying it quite a lot.
Also: bad gameplay will never stop me if I'm determined to finish a game. I mean, I survived Max Payne 3, what could be worse?

Brutal Legend - you mean the game with an awesome world but atrocious game mechanics? But you're playing on the PC. The game always felt a little like so Sacrifice or Citizen Kabuto (when in it came to commanding the troops) so maybe PC controls are better.
I liked both Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Sacrifice, so I'm probably the intended target demographic for Brutal Legend too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom