Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Curratum

Why not just play the Wolfenstein 3D games? They're pretty tight with a sourceport.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Completed my replay of non-exult Ultima 7, didn't go Forge Of Virtue yet as it makes Avatar OP.
Party: Iolo, Shamino, Dupre and Spark.
No stealing or OP secrets , no magic carpet till the end and had to raise gold to buy my ship.
Had to play with looted gear at the start, but at the end full party with magic gear.
Game was unstable, missing walls in Britain near the end, might have to do with all the stuff I'm hoarding relocated to Britain.

Ending movie of Ultima 7.

If you had yet to play Ultima 7, I strongly suggest you do so.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing Darksiders 2 Deathinitive edition.
Its not...the worst port I've played, but its pretty bad. Its playable, at least. I mean, its functional and you can do stuff, unlike in Alpha Protocol where the mouse is so fucked up that the game is pretty much unplayable, especially if you want to hack stuff.

Some things to note -

Screenshots may cause the video to fuck up, meaning you have to alt-tab out and kill the process. I have no idea what triggers this, as its not consistent. Which is a pity, because there is some really cool looking shit in the game.
Sometimes the sound fucks up too. I've only encountered this some 12 hours into the game.
The inventory / shop UI is inconsistent. Sometimes you have to click. Sometimes you have to press enter to select or equip something. Sometimes you have to press space. Sometimes you can scroll down with the arrow keys in the shop to navigate and sometimes you can't.
The platforming is a bit frustrating. There's a mechanic where you can grab things at a distance, but sometimes the prompt doesn't work, or its gone before you can react.

That said, it is decent. Not amazing, but decent. Whilst I don't like the character designs (too Warcraft / Age of Sigmar for my taste), the world design is gorgeous, especially the Forge Lands, and I do like how the environment changes as you progress through the game. The combat is pretty fun, but later on they will throw some absolute bastards of an encounter against you, and that detracts from the fun a little.
Or maybe I'm just terrible. I don't have much experience with these sort of character action games, and I prefer playing on keyboard, so maybe I just lack the skills and equipment for that sort of game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm playing this.

2 Hours later I'm level 7 and really bored of digging through the first dungeon.
Not sure if I'm playing it wrong, but I don't remember it play differently other than lacking overpowered scorpion traps and feeling like this game is a bastard marriage between Diablo and Ultima 7.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, I tried DivDiv for more than few times and either dropped in first dungeon (most of the time) or DRM would not let me play again (fuk u StarForce).
Just endure and grow stronger and beat that dung, game starts2be good after this awful tutorial.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Why not just play the Wolfenstein 3D games? They're pretty tight with a sourceport.

I actually was playing the first Wolf 3D a couple months back in DOSBOX (controls are fine once you get used to them). Unfortunately, I got stuck and then frustrated with the boss of Ep 2, so haven't been back to it since then. I figured with the release of DOOM Wolf 3d would be basically too simple to even enjoy, but I really had fun with it.

Prime Junta

Played Tyranny a bit further and yep-o, now I remember why I didn't like the gameplay much. It. Is. So. REPETITIVE

RK47

Patron

Ok I had enough. stepped out of the village and what do I see, orks that I dispatch with the same attack I used for 2 hours.

Valtiel

Scholar
Finally bought a pc for keep up with the latest "GOOD GRAPHICS"TM gamess that i've been skipping. Downloaded some shit to test, don't know where to start between Vampyr, Kingdom Come and RE7 (also got That latest Ass Creed just for benchmarking purpose)

Freddie

Savant
Been playing adventure games published by WadjetEye

Resonance

Pixel graphics adventure set in pretty much modern day with Sci-fi device as plot vessel. Game is voice acted which I found to be surprisingly good. It's difficult to comment the plot without spoiling the game, but it's was okay. It has 4 different characters you play and solving some puzzles involves using them all. There are 2 different endings I think, but I don't think there is any long term C&C in game.

Overall I liked the game pretty much. Don't recall what I paid for this since this was on my GOG backlog, but IMO worth a try especially during discounts if you don't mind settings that aren't fantasy or cyberpunk but actually pretty down to earth.

IMO puzzles were quite logical. I think one made me really scratch my head. Writing was okay but I felt that perhaps game dragged a bit before turning to short final act. It's perhaps worth to note that IMO story was quite flowing despite some drag, but perhaps it could have been better experience with little more structuring. It's not perhaps easiest game to play one hour now and other hour then.

Technobabylon

Another pixel graphics adventure game, this time set in Cyber Punk future. There are three playable characters which interact more or less. Characters are voice acted which I found again surprisingly good. I liked the plot especially how the main character and his adventures was written. Two other main characters are more or less okay, but certain aspect of one character... was that really necessary? Did it add something to plot? IMO no.

There is a lot I liked in this game, puzzles were logical but I encountered a bug where one item in my inventory didn't worked in quest object in the game at the first try. Took ages to go through all options because certain puzzle was pretty long. It's shame because it was otherwise pretty decent small detective puzzle. Also, there are two endings which other is clearly rushed. For example some dialogue refers to certain NPC's having no memory of that, but then according to other option in same dialogue tree, they claim to have pretty clear memory of said thing. These are clearly not intentional but editing mistakes studio didn't had time to fix.

I found Technobabylon to be better structured than Resonance and suits better for players who must divide their attention to other things. Play hour now, couple of hours approach IMO works pretty well with Technobabylon.

Unavowed

Just started this and can't say much about the game yet, but this is yet another pixel graphics adventure game with multiple characters, this time setting is Urban Fantasy set in current world. My initial impression is that this is more like a RPG party thing than in Resonance and Technobabylon but I will see.

At least in the beginning Unavowed has very different atmosphere in comparison to Resonance and Technobabylon, very different kind of thing so at least so far I haven't felt I'm replaying same games in new setting, but something different. So far game appears to have structured so that player can play one mission (chapter) during one night and get back to game later without having ton of things to remember.

I will keep posting about this (don't dare to read Unavowed topic in Adventure forum because afraid of spoilers) but so far so good.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Phantom-Doctrine-Key-Art-2060x1195.jpg

Completed the tutorial. It seems like a game I will enjoy

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Anyway, out of those the most graphically impressive one is RE7, and the most graphically demanding one is Kingdom Come.

Vampyr will run on a toaster and looks the part.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Anybody following VCMI for HoMM3, I highly encourage checking out this currently developing town. The creator started less than a year ago and in such a short amount of time went from using MMO model rips to making his own unique models and sprites, the town is shaping up to be official expansion tier from the level of quality being shown. It's a plains/mountainous style town, "Ruins".
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=44951&pagenumber=1

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Playing Darksiders 2 Deathinitive edition.
Its not...the worst port I've played, but its pretty bad. Its playable, at least. I mean, its functional and you can do stuff, unlike in Alpha Protocol where the mouse is so fucked up that the game is pretty much unplayable, especially if you want to hack stuff.

Some things to note -

Screenshots may cause the video to fuck up, meaning you have to alt-tab out and kill the process. I have no idea what triggers this, as its not consistent. Which is a pity, because there is some really cool looking shit in the game.
Sometimes the sound fucks up too. I've only encountered this some 12 hours into the game.
The inventory / shop UI is inconsistent. Sometimes you have to click. Sometimes you have to press enter to select or equip something. Sometimes you have to press space. Sometimes you can scroll down with the arrow keys in the shop to navigate and sometimes you can't.
The platforming is a bit frustrating. There's a mechanic where you can grab things at a distance, but sometimes the prompt doesn't work, or its gone before you can react.

That said, it is decent. Not amazing, but decent. Whilst I don't like the character designs (too Warcraft / Age of Sigmar for my taste), the world design is gorgeous, especially the Forge Lands, and I do like how the environment changes as you progress through the game. The combat is pretty fun, but later on they will throw some absolute bastards of an encounter against you, and that detracts from the fun a little.
Or maybe I'm just terrible. I don't have much experience with these sort of character action games, and I prefer playing on keyboard, so maybe I just lack the skills and equipment for that sort of game.
It's not the best game out there but it does have some of the most memorable boss fights like the Guardian.

Valtiel

Scholar
Anyway, out of those the most graphically impressive one is RE7, and the most graphically demanding one is Kingdom Come.

Vampyr will run on a toaster and looks the part.
but what's the best game of all 3? Feeling lukewarm about Kingdom Come, is the plot/writing any good? Re7 I would like to try it, but i'm finishing Darkwood and I need some ease after this, not another survival horror, that shit is exhausting.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I suppose Kingdom Come is probably the "best" game of those 3 but tbh I wouldn't stan for any of those. Haven't played an AssCreed game in years so can't say if that one is any good. Vampyr is just... very average.

RK47

Patron
Was trying to clear Troll King legit way, it was impossible.
He'd snare me and his entire army would decimate me in melee.
So yeah...out comes Mr. D Scorpion
the rest is XP XP XP XP

nktAlw3.png

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLOLOL I DID A REPLAY OF WOLFENSTEIN LAST YEAR EVEN I COULD KILL HITLER

PLAYING MINECRAFT A TON LOLOLLOL I THINK MINECRAFT IS THE ONLY REASON MY SON LIKEA ME LOLL OK LLO

ALSO STILL HELHERRON

BROS I LIKE TO CALL IT MY ETHNIC CLEANSINF SIMULATOR LOLLOLOL

I DONT THINK ITA PROBLEMATIC THOUFH LOLOLLOL BEVAUSE I DONT HAVE AVAGINA

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Completed Hidden and Dangerous 2. A really good game, despite its issues. I made the major mistake of playing it on hard difficulty the first time around, which means that the AI is psychic, you are limited to 3 saves per mission and you almost always die in 1 shot. It was difficult as all hell, but I somehow managed to make through it. Definitely among the hardest games I have played probably in my entire life.
First campaign was really fun. Stealth mission in Norway with really nice level design. Really fun to play for just about any playstyle. No complaints about it at all.
Game was a bit buggy at times. In the first mission in the second campaign, I had to find some documents on the Germans, but as it turns out it can sometimes spawn in a place where you can see it, but never grab it. I had to restart that mission around 5 times before I managed to get lucky enough for it to spawn in a place I could grab it, didn't help matters that that mission was really hard too. You have a ton of Germans with rifles, snipers and MG42s and you are on a really flat battlefield where later you get assaulted by a tank that's so annoying to deal with and can 1shot you with insane accuracy.
I really liked the missions in Burma. Treacherous jungle landscape where there are Japanese machine gunners everywhere. Really great mix of assault and stealth.
The underwater level was great. You had to sink a ship using magnetic mines and then get the Enigma machine from a supporting ship, then sink that too. Some good night stealth gameplay.
In the last campaign I made the major mistake of not equipping any soldiers other than squad leader with weapons, because the first mission in the campaign was stealth oriented and I assumed I could change my loadout in the next mission, I couldn't.
So soloing 2 missions in the campaign, I had to start scavenging K98s and MP 40s for all my soldiers, and my squad leader was in a German disguise throughout all that time too. The last mission was hilarious, you can assault a bunker with a Panther and then after clearing it out you have to defend yourself against a massive group of Russians because they want the location of all the gold the Germans stole.
The mechanics of the game were relatively good, I just wish that the mission design was a bit better. Usually the mission design felt a bit weak for most playstyles, so instead of getting a good assault or stealth level, you just get something weird and in between that.
eUCH8g.png

Vorark

Erudite
Took a break from DQXI to finish Digimon Cyber Slut Sleuth, first Digimon game I've played since World 3 ages ago. Quite liked it, despite the extremely poor translation and the grindfest to get the better monsters.

"Nah, this is just a kiddie's game" -> cue the ending going all metaphysical on the player.

I recommend the PS4 version 'cause the Vita one has these annoying 1 to 2 second loading times at every single area change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom