Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Played through STALKER Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat again. Clear Sky was about how I remembered it when I first played it. Great, varied area design with a similar atmosphere to the first game, and even surpassing its tension and forlorn quality in some areas; places like the Red Forest stand out as among the best in the series. But gameplay wise everything is overshadowed by the misguided and poorly implemented faction wars system. Because so much effort was put into the factions there is very little side content unrelated to it, and the content related to the factions is repetitive and frustrating. Many of the areas end up feeling extremely empty if the player is not particularly interested in dealing with factional conflicts, and some areas, like the aforementioned Red Forest or Limansk which visually are so attractive, feel almost completely devoid of content beyond the main story-line related missions. There are some side-quests that can be initiated by random stalkers, but these are exclusively mundane fetch quests and the rewards for them are all so paltry as to to be insignificant when compared to faction rewards (which makes a catch 22-like situation where the faction missions are so repetitive and boring that I did not want to do them but the rewards for them are so good that they make the non-faction quests seem pointless). Story wise it presents a nice prelude to the story of the first game, while simultaneously leaving certain mysteries unresolved and having different enough characters that it does not end up as a pointless prequel as so many prequels end up. It's a lot like Half-Life: Opposing Force in how it presents an opposing viewpoint to Strelok.

Call of Pripyat was surprising to replay because I had not tried it since playing it when it came out 8 years ago. Back then I remember being disappointed because of how different the game was in structure to both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky. I personally really like the segmented, limited open world in SoC and CS, where you have individual, open areas through which you are lead through in the main quest, but you can stop at any time to explore these areas at your own pace. Each area being small enough that it can be hand designed. So when I first played CoP I thought they had decided to go in the Elder Scrolls wide open bullshit direction, so I think I was very dismissive and ended up playing through the game quite quickly. On this replay however I really came to appreciate how densely packed both Zaton and Jupiter are. Nearly every corner of the map has something of interest to explore, and most of these locations will be involved in side quests. These side quests in CoP are the real point of mastery in the game, because every single one of them is unique. I mean this is an FPS game at its core and it does side quest design better than 99% of CRPGs. Many of the side-quests are multidimensional, with plot-lines and objectives that can span the entire course of the game, continuing from one area to another (such as a storyline where you are accused of stealing a weapon by a scheming stalker in the first area, who sets you up in an ambush and escapes, and who then returns in the next area to steal your stuff, then leading to the quest conclusion). Some of them offer intricate scripted scenarios (like the bloodsucker lair and the sniper mission), that work amazing well considering how flawed to outright broken many of the scripted sequences in the previous games were (the Duty assault on the Freedom base in SoC that would always bug out in 1 of 100 ways), while others take advantage of the A-Life system for more unpredictable situations. However in making these larger, more consistent areas they had to sacrifice much of the unique visual designs of the previous games, and Zaton and Jupiter both end up looking very similar; there is nothing that offers a real dramatic change of scenery like Yantar or the Red Forest from previous games. Another shortcoming is the final area, Pripyat. At the same time that this area offers the most bleak and haunting atmosphere in the game, that rivals some places in the previous games, it feels as devoid of content as much of Clear Sky. This does in a certain way serve to increase the feeling of loneliness in the area, but that doesn't make up for how disappointing the area is in comparison to the rest of the game. It has every indication that they simply ran out of time, and this is especially apparent in how abruptly the final mission is initiated.

Overall STALKER is one of the few series where the developers carefully listened to criticism after each game and managed to consistently improve on the systems throughout each entry. Despite Clear Sky being so riddled with bugs it did generally improve on the combat mechanics and introduce many features that were lacking in Shadow of Chernobyl such as repairing and upgrading; even the poorly implemented faction wars was an attempt to give the factions more depth than what little they had in SoC. And even if I personally prefer SoC for its more unique, atmospherically dense locations and more intriguing plot, Call of Pripyat is probably what most people wanted out of a STALKER game from the outset.

CoP is too easy though.

In SoC and Clear Sky there were a lot of enemies you had to fight or avoid.
In CoP the world feels mostly empty of enemies, and you even start off with good equipment. I get bored with it quickly.

Its why Misery exists; someone was bored with how easy it is, so they made a hard mod. Then it got popular, and they made it even more tedious and difficult due to demand, resulting in the mess it is now. What happened with Dark Souls, basically.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
CoP is too easy though.

In SoC and Clear Sky there were a lot of enemies you had to fight or avoid.
In CoP the world feels mostly empty of enemies, and you even start off with good equipment. I get bored with it quickly.

Its why Misery exists; someone was bored with how easy it is, so they made a hard mod. Then it got popular, and they made it even more tedious and difficult due to demand, resulting in the mess it is now. What happened with Dark Souls, basically.
Yeah. Especially in terms of economy it's extremely easy in CoP to never need to worry about money just by doing every side quest (which in CoP you actually want to do) and taking a few minutes to look for artifacts once in a while, which respawn constantly unlike in CS (I can't remember if they respawn in SoC but I know they were far more difficult to acquire). Even buying an exosuit is trivial by about partway through the Jupiter area. In comparison to that in Clear Sky I ended up going through most of the game with a mid-tier assault rifle and an un-upgraded SEVA suit because money was at a premium and most of the high end gear was locked behind faction advancement. At the end of CoP I had multiple high end armor suits and every high end rifle and other weapon in the game, not to mention mountains of artifacts.

Also the focus on open, outdoor areas with multiple approaches in CoP, as opposed to the complex industrial environments and interiors in CS and SoC, definitely made the game easier, since the advantage is almost always in the player's favor when engaging a bunch of enemies in the open. There were very few moments in CoP where the player has to fight enemies attacking from multiple angles and elevations which was quite common in the previous games, like in the military warehouse fights or the factory in the Dark Valley and so on. I think this is one reason that difficulty "rebalancing" mods are somewhat pointless since it doesn't address that inherent difference in the game.

Edit: Oh yeah, this made me remember that one of the high points of CoP was the mission in Pripyat where you go to the hospital to intercept the gauss rifle being carried by the monolith. Then the ambush happens and in my case my team was killed off very quickly, so I had to carefully fight my way through multiple levels of the hospital while also watching for enemies in the other wing as well as on the roof of the building. One of the rare instances of that sort of intense, close quarters urban combat in the game.

Though some of the things that made SoC and CS very difficult I am alright with being absent, such as taking on hundreds of monolith experts armed with gauss rifles by yourself at the end of SoC, or similarly the absurd fights in Limansk and CNPP in CS. Although in a sense they were definitely satisfying to overcome, whereas the finale in CoP is somewhat of a letdown.

I tried Misery once and thought it was feature bloated garbage, so I don't have much intention of trying it again. It's amazing that no one has developed a half-decent visual tweaking or difficulty adjustment mod, without going full retard and adding a bunch of unneeded crap. Maybe I'll try doing one myself but I'll probably end up becoming autistic, and I would rather try to do a mod that adds actual content, like adding a few quests to the Pripyat area to make use of the buildings that are almost completely unused in vanilla.

Last edited:

Dedup

Augur
I got the Gold Box itch again so I imported my party that finished Curse of the Azure Bonds not too long ago into Secret of the Silver Blades. Aside from an unfortunate party wipe from 3 sub-adult red dragons, things are going pretty smoothly and I've just liberated the well. I'm using Gold Box Companion and am interested in how well the its automap will work with this game since I'm not nearly as familiar with its maps as I am with the ones from PoR and CotAB.

Unfortunately this puts my playthrough of Dragon Quest V (SNES version) in jeopardy as I don't know when I'll get back to it.

sullynathan

Arcane
So I was curious in how Playstation Now works due to wanting to play certain PS3 games. I get the 7 day trial and I have good enough internet connect by the test so I sign up.
The game I specifically wanted to play was Ninja Gaiden Sigma. PS now starts fast and it seems to be a PS3 emulator, but the entire thing runs online with no download. Long story short, PS Now lags like shit making a deliberate 60 fps hack & slasher like Ninja Gaiden really sluggish and terrible. The graphics also looks worse than the original PS3 version.

Fucking Sony and their money grubbing schemes. I'm stuck playing Asura's Wrath now. At least it doesn't take much skill and most of the game is cutscenes.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So I was curious in how Playstation Now works due to wanting to play certain PS3 games. I get the 7 day trial and I have good enough internet connect by the test so I sign up.
The game I specifically wanted to play was Ninja Gaiden Sigma. PS now starts fast and it seems to be a PS3 emulator, but the entire thing runs online with no download. Long story short, PS Now lags like shit making a deliberate 60 fps hack & slasher like Ninja Gaiden really sluggish and terrible. The graphics also looks worse than the original PS3 version.

Fucking Sony and their money grubbing schemes. I'm stuck playing Asura's Wrath now. At least it doesn't take much skill and most of the game is cutscenes.
That is because it not a emulator but a streaming service.If you are not in the officially supported ps now countries and don't have good enough internet speed,forget about it.

sullynathan

Arcane

That is because it not a emulator but a streaming service.If you are not in the officially supported ps now countries and don't have good enough internet speed,forget about it.
I'm in the US with good internet connection because I did the "test connection" thing before signing up. Still lags here and there and impedes gameplay

newtmonkey

Arcane
Dragged my PS3 out from my closet as I wanted to play Demon's Souls and the Muso games (PC ports of Muso games other than Sengoku Muso 4 (ugh) II are al horrible).

So this will stay hooked up to my TV as my dedicated Demon's Souls/Muso machine, but I went off to the local used game shop and picked up some other console exclusives:

Armored Core 4/Armored Core for Answer
Gundam Muso
Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi (i've already got the others, including the PS3 ports of the first two games) (awesome series of games btw)
Siren New Translation (by far the worst game in the series, but still a good survival horror)

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I finally reinstalled Terraria now that I can buy things on GOG. I really want to get the vortex beater again, that gun is absolutely insane with chlorophyte bullets, but it's probably going to take ages to make back that progress from a new large world on expert.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I finally reinstalled Terraria now that I can buy things on GOG. I really want to get the vortex beater again, that gun is absolutely insane with chlorophyte bullets, but it's probably going to take ages to make back that progress from a new large world on expert.

Oh yeah, that gun is great. Pity you don't have much to fight with it though, except for farming the Moonlord for the SDMG.

Freddie

Savant
Wanted to kill some Zombies so I got Dead Island Definitive edition from Steam.

I have done just few quests yet but it appears to be okay so far.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Oh yeah, that gun is great. Pity you don't have much to fight with it though, except for farming the Moonlord for the SDMG.
I'm holding out hope that they make another 1.3 tier update to the game to have post moon lord stuff.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
They need to release a Hardmode+ where you fight Cthulhu. I mean, you fight his eye and his brain, what about the rest? Imagine fighting a massive, brainless and eyeless corpse of a Great Old One, and half way in the fight you fight his eye and his brain again. That would be nuts.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
They need to release a Hardmode+ where you fight Cthulhu. I mean, you fight his eye and his brain, what about the rest? Imagine fighting a massive, brainless and eyeless corpse of a Great Old One, and half way in the fight you fight his eye and his brain again. That would be nuts.
I kind of thought moon lord was cthulhu.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Probably related, but I don't think he's Cthulhu. Maybe the same race or something.
Cthulhu was actually planned to be a boss in Terraria, but they scrapped him and replaced him with an eye instead.
I think it was because of technical limitations or something.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

I'm holding out hope that they make another 1.3 tier update to the game to have post moon lord stuff.
Play one of the huge content mods. Modders have added shittons of stuff to the game, and a lot of the QoL changes (like slopes/running up 1 tile bumps) were stolen from mods as well.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Play one of the huge content mods. Modders have added shittons of stuff to the game, and a lot of the QoL changes (like slopes/running up 1 tile bumps) were stolen from mods as well.
I didn't even know there were Terraria mods.
After playing this weekend I now have a diamond staff, katana, and snowball cannon with tungsten armor so I can deal with underground snow, still shying away from the desert because antlions are cunts that can still overwhelm me at this state.
In my last game I built a screen sized pumpkin for my house to live in, this time I think I will make a japanese village with the weeaboo wood that the traveling merchant sells.

Finished Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap (the remake that came out last year). This is really the benchmark that all remakes/updates of classic games should be judged on - it's simply superb. The developers are clearly huge fans of the original game, respecting it deeply and maintaining the original spirit of the art in the new assets (graphics as well as music), which are all outstanding. From a technical perspective, it is flawless - you can switch from new assets to old with the switch of a button - well, two buttons - one for the art, another one for the sound, so you can have any combination of new graphics with old sound, new sound with old graphics, etc. I ran it at a vsynced 4k 60fps with no timing issues whatsoever.

I highly recommend everyone playing this gem. It's an alternative take on the Metroid style of gameplay (interconnected levels that open up as you get power-ups). It's short and sweet (around 5-6 hours at the most if you do everything) and some sections are quite challenging. You'll be very surprised with how ingenuous this game is as it came out 30 years ago, in 1989, for the Master System. I hope these developers stick around and do some more tasteful remasters in this vein.

This is so good it actually pumped me up to play the other Wonder Boy games that I hadn't played before, like Monster World 4 that only had a Japanese MD release way back in the day.

2018-06-162e8k1d.jpg

2018-06-1812wdkfq.jpg

2018-06-18197gkog.jpg

2018-06-1929c4jst.jpg

:greatjob:

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I gave PS now another try.
My impressions are based on the first chapter of Ninja Gaiden Σ & Ninja Gaiden Σ 2.

I played Ninja Gaiden Σ 2. I've played Ninja Gaiden 2 demo in the past but never the full game. This time PS now ran pretty well without much dips in frame rate. Σ 2 has a better camera than Σ, it follows the player better and isn't as stationary. I didn't realize that Σ has inverse camera by default and you have to completely reverse it.
It also has on the fly weapon & magic switching without going into the games menu but the game still pauses. One thing I will say is that the game has really long loading times. Loading when you pause the game and reading scrolls, loading when you start the game.

The level here is quite large and forward moving with no backtracking and needing an item to move forward.

Enemies are highly aggressive in these games. You fight robot ninjas that have movesets that are about identical to the player that won't let up on player. You can cut off an enemy's legs or arms and they'll keep fighting to get one last suicide grab on the player.

Unlike a shitty game like God of war ascension, your main character Ryu is given the tools that he needs to accomplish his job with no hand holding at all.
There were 2 bosses in the first chapter. A giant Buddha statue that you fight twice and a demon- ninja - spider.

The Buddha statue I wasn't a fan of fighting the 2nd time. Due to being a stationary large boss you can only attack its hands. It has a wide grab attack that nearly covers the screen, summons energy beams from the ground and shoots some.

Both bosses when they lose enough health allow you to perform an untold execution attack. Something I wasn't really expecting from this type of game.

People give this game shit for not having blood but I don't really care with how good the combat is.

After beating the first chapter I went back to Ninja Gaiden Σ to finish it's first chapter. Overall the level design is a bit more to my liking due to taking place in one ninja fortress that you can fully explore while having a bit of devil may cry/ resident evil style progression of finding one item to unlock another item to open the boss door which the sequel was missing.

The UI is cleaner with nothing usually on the screen except your health bar. No combo numbers or anything like that .

The only boss of this chapter is much better and more difficult than the bosses in the first chapter of the sequel. He's a relentless noob killer if you don't quickly get a hang of this games combat. No magic to help you and it's treated as a high level sparring session, just straight ninja sword play vs nunchaku.

The health bar is quite different in both. In Σ2, everytime you take damage you lose a but of your max health but I'm not sure how important this mechanic is since there's no health regen in the game and drinking health potions/ collecting blue orbs/ Saving, the ways to gain health, still heals back the portion of lost health.

A big difference in this game is how saving is handled. There were 4 saving statues in this first chapter compared to one in the first chapter of Ninja Gaiden Σ. Saving also fully heals Ryu which it didn't in Ninja Gaiden Σ.

Having this, combined with more techniques life parrying, one more weapon, larger health bar and fire ball magic makes the first chapter of Ninja Gaiden Σ 2 a much easier and dare I say balanced experience than Ninja Gaiden Σ. I didn't die once but the game was still very challenging and difficult. On the other hand, I died four times in the first chapter of Ninja Gaiden Σ but the first boss was actually good unlike Σ 2.

I'm liking both of them a great deal so far.

I would talk about god of war ascension but fuck that game.

Machocruz

Arcane
Finished Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap (the remake that came out last year). This is really the benchmark that all remakes/updates of classic games should be judged on - it's simply superb. The developers are clearly huge fans of the original game, respecting it deeply and maintaining the original spirit of the art in the new assets (graphics as well as music), which are all outstanding. From a technical perspective, it is flawless - you can switch from new assets to old with the switch of a button - well, two buttons - one for the art, another one for the sound, so you can have any combination of new graphics with old sound, new sound with old graphics, etc. I ran it at a vsynced 4k 60fps with no timing issues whatsoever.

I highly recommend everyone playing this gem. It's an alternative take on the Metroid style of gameplay (interconnected levels that open up as you get power-ups). It's short and sweet (around 5-6 hours at the most if you do everything) and some sections are quite challenging. You'll be very surprised with how ingenuous this game is as it came out 30 years ago, in 1989, for the Master System. I hope these developers stick around and do some more tasteful remasters in this vein.

This is so good it actually pumped me up to play the other Wonder Boy games that I hadn't played before, like Monster World 4 that only had a Japanese MD release way back in the day.

2018-06-162e8k1d.jpg

2018-06-1812wdkfq.jpg

2018-06-18197gkog.jpg

2018-06-1929c4jst.jpg

:greatjob:
It's the pinnacle of the series. SMS was kind of starved for games that could hang with NES greats, but this was easily in that league.

Ocelot

Learned
Playing through the DoW1 first campaign before getting the other expansions for the MP. The game is delightful if you are a Warhammer fan and it's a real RTS without the RPG/MOBA bastardization so many strategy games have nowadays. Somehow, DoW1 feels more complete and superior to the newer DoW2, which is a weird mix of strategy and role-playing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing through the DoW1 first campaign before getting the other expansions for the MP. The game is delightful if you are a Warhammer fan and it's a real RTS without the RPG/MOBA bastardization so many strategy games have nowadays. Somehow, DoW1 feels more complete and superior to the newer DoW2, which is a weird mix of strategy and role-playing.
Agree. While I liked DoW2 quite a lot, the first one surpasses it because it is actually a true RTS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Back to dragging ass through Pillars of Eternity, trying to finish it so I can give the sequel a go. I'm in act 3, wasting time in White March. Should have probably just went right to Twin Elms to try and get it done but oh well.

Also finished Leisure Suit Larry VGA and was going to move on to LSL5 but I think I might play Escape From Monkey Island now that it's on GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom