Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Phanax

Novice
Patron
KOTOR 2 with the restored content mod. I remember playing the game back in 2005 or something when it was first released. I finished it, though it was good (if a bit abrupt the ending), then moved on. Later I had read about how much content was missing but present in the game files as well as some aspects of its design that were supposed to be implemented but couldn't for various reasons. Well, I recently decided to acquire the game again and apply the latest version of the mod and see what it's like.

Thing is, so much time has passed since that playthrough I have no idea what's new and what's not. I could play the game vanilla on a first run as a refresher but I feel as though I'd a better experience of an actual complete game with the mod installed. In any event, it's been working out pretty well and seems to be holding my interest longer than some of the other newer games I have (what a fucking surprise).

ToEE and while I fell in love all over again with the combat system, by the 4th 20 bugbear encounter in the Temple I lost all desire to play. Don't think I'll finish it.

It's not the difficulty (the game is quite easy), it's the lack of any semblance of encounter design in principle. It's just not interesting to entangle and spam AoE while my stoneskin tank kills everything that gets past the line with greater cleave. The Infinity Engine games might be RTWP decline, but their encounter design is incomparably better.

Cael

Arcane
It's not the difficulty (the game is quite easy), it's the lack of any semblance of encounter design in principle. It's just not interesting to entangle and spam AoE while my stoneskin tank kills everything that gets past the line with greater cleave. The Infinity Engine games might be RTWP decline, but their encounter design is incomparably better.
ToEE is based on a very OLD PnP module. It is basically a dungeon crawl with minimal RPG elements. There are a few gotcha moments if you are not careful, but if you know what is coming up ahead, it becomes boring fast.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm finishing up Saint's Row 3 right now. Man, what a blast of a game. I stopped the Grand Theft Auto series after GTA 4, but if I had realized how absolutely fucking crazy Saint's Row 3 was I would have played the game a long time ago. The game isn't challenging, but man it's funny. I always thought the Saints Row series was just a poor knock-off of GTA, and I had purchased SR 2, SR3, and SR4 on a whim during a cheap bundle sale. Pretty glad I did, too.

I'm also partway through Avernum 5 after completing Avernum 4. Overall it's a nice graphics upgrade, but I'm still undecided on what I think about the different changes to combat. Still, it's itching that turn-based RPG itch I had and I like the premise of being Empire agents sent into the hostile frontier.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm finishing up Saint's Row 3 right now. Man, what a blast of a game. I stopped the Grand Theft Auto series after GTA 4, but if I had realized how absolutely fucking crazy Saint's Row 3 was I would have played the game a long time ago. The game isn't challenging, but man it's funny. I always thought the Saints Row series was just a poor knock-off of GTA, and I had purchased SR 2, SR3, and SR4 on a whim during a cheap bundle sale. Pretty glad I did, too.
Saints Row 3 is really funny, very unlike Saints Row 2 which the fans of the latter try to claim the devs went too far in the craziness. The craziness is why the game is so good. Too bad the devs try this same crap with Saints Row 4 and Gat Out of Hell. The first one is just a superhero game with a worse world than 3 while the latter is pretty crap.

Modron

Arcane
The problem with Saint's Row 4 wasn't the super hero powers, but that it was obviously a dlc stretched thin into a fully separate game. The main missions were good but the gameworld suffered from having less and repetitive sidecontent. If 4's content had just been a shorter dlc expansion to 3 like they planned it wouldn't have felt as empty between missions for sure. Granted it's not a bad game but it does fall short of its predecessors and Gat Out of Hell and Agents of Mayhem basically have killed any possibility of further Saint's Row mayhem.

HansDampf

Arcane
Wasting time on Star Wars TIE Fighter. Not much time actually playing it, mind you. Tinkering with games to get the best possible experience is sometimes half the fun for me, and TIE Fighter is one of the more complicated cases.

When you buy the Special Edition on GOG you get three different versions: The original 1994 DOS release, the 1995 Collector's CD-ROM, and Windows release from 1998. As far as I can tell, 1995 is just a straight upgrade with higher resolution and complete VO. It is also widely regarded as the best version. 1998 has further upgraded graphics (textures) and things like ship engine sound effects. But it also ditched the original iMUSE soundtrack which would dynamically adapt to what's happening on screen, playing to the strengths of the medium. Instead it was replaced with the classic John Williams movie score we've heard a million times before. Because MIDI is just silly computer music, right? It does neither fit the action nor the overall theme of the game and sounds like every other generic Star Wars product. Here is a video that compares the three versions.

The 1995 version also refuses to register any button presses on my joystick, so I'm pretty much stuck in 1998. Fortunately there is a mod that attempts to recreate the feel of the original soundtrack with a re-orchestrated version (and also better voice quality). It's not dynamic like iMUSE, I think, but a huge improvement nonetheless.
Example:
Original MIDI

Re-Orchestrated

The only downside is that the modified TIE95.EXE crashes when I turn hardware acceleration on. Maybe they used an older TIE95.EXE that didn't support it? I don't know how this works. It's not a big deal for me though. While hardware acceleration allows anti-aliasing it also makes the textures look all smudgy and the lighting worse, somehow. In this case I prefer the pixelated look. Fits better with the low resolution and cockpit graphics.

There is another problem. The 1998 version accepts all joystick input but the controls are jerky as hell. I'm barely touching the stick and my reticle is all over the place. I'm using a Thustmaster Flight Stick that gets automatically calibrated in Windows. There is nothing I can change there. And this version of the game doesn't have any further calibration options either. After some duckduckgoing I found a neat tool called Joystick Gremlin. It takes input from a physical joystick, maps it to a virtual joystick and offers a ridiculous amount of customization in the process, like macros, timed button presses, chains, etc. Might come in handy for other games as well. But most important are the response curves for axis input that basically allow fine-tuning of axis sensitivity. After some adjustments the game controls much more precise. I can actually aim now.

There is still one final touch necessary. Trying to force a 640x480 game into a 1080p wrapper is never going to result in a perfect image. I've downloaded an updated ddraw.dll which includes a config file to play around with the graphics settings. Depending on the scaling type pixels will either get blurred ("smooth") or distorted (linear scaling). Since 1080 isn't divisible by 480 the remainder of the screen will get filled by stretching some of the pixels. I absolutely hate this. It's a common problem with old 4:3 games, and once noticed it can't be unseen. One workaround would be to run the game in a window, a tiny 640x480 window in this case because this is TIE Fighter. But I've found a better way. I can set my monitor to 4:3 mode, change the screen resolution in Windows to 1280x960, and run the game fullscreen with 640x480 internal resolution. This results in a perfectly crisp and evenly scaled image with small black bars top and bottom (instead of stretching the image to 1080). Looks good to me.
Gyi9ZNQ.png

RUAb2Nb.png
So much for wasting time. Now I can finally play this stupid game after it had been sitting on my list for so many years. It'd better deliver. I've only played the training missions for TIE Fighters and Interceptors so far, and...
I'm dying a lot.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
So much for wasting time. Now I can finally play this stupid game after it had been sitting on my list for so many years. It'd better deliver. I've only played the training missions for TIE Fighters and Interceptors so far, and...
I'm dying a lot.
That's the whole point of a TIE fighter. Expendable craft for expendable pilots. Killing its pilots is what a TIE fighter is for!

:D

Once you get used to flying a constant semi-random dodging pattern you'll be pretty safe from things that don't shoot missiles or have rear-firing turrets (asshole shuttles on Hard).

Edmund Spenser

Educated
I do challenge playthroughs of Might and Magic 6 often and have done since it came out. It's just such a comfy game at this point.

I have the whole damn thing down to a routine no matter what party I play, but somehow it continually grabs me even after all these years. Like Morrowind or Fallout 2, the hardest part of any playthrough is to not try to break it. Attempting a vanilla, naturalistic runthrough is just as satisfying as it was back in the day.

7 was good, but it doesn't have the same charm. I honestly had high expectations for 10 and even enjoyed the end product, but to call that game flawed is a fucking devastating understatement.

I just want a new open world, first-person party based RPG, why is that so hard to get~

Cael

Arcane
Holy crap! I just FOUGHT my way through the Pitch Black special encounter in Tactics. Shotguns, man. Shotguns. Buckshot eeeeeverywhere!

Just make sure Riddick stays near the start or he is hamburger...

spekkio

Arcane
Finished two games recently:

1) Shantae - Risky's Revenge DC (PC)

Well, what can I say? Expected a simple platformer, got a proper, well-made metroidvania.

:incline:

Good: :)
- Solid gameplay, level design, overall impression of playing a game designed by competent people (rare these days).
- Good concepts: deadly pits marked with scull and cross-bones, no way of increasing the damage inflicted (so all enemies stay dangerous till the end), no HP/MP refilling items in regular areas (so these are sometimes more dangerous enemy-wise than dungeons).
- Gameplay is varied. Some things appear only once during the game. For example, there are only 3 dungeons in the game, but each one is different. First is a regular "reach the boss" dungeon, second one is timed "rush the exit" and the third one is not only the biggest, but full of puzzles, teleporters and hidden areas.
- Charming and intelligent writing, acceptable for both youngsters and grown-ups (allusions to suggestive themes).
- Combat is simple, yet fun.
- All 3 forms (monkey, elephant, mermaid) are useful. Plus, they have obligatory upgrades, which you have to find first.
- 2/3 of "magical" attacks are useful (fireball & floating orbs).
- "Physical" elements of combat and puzzles are p. nice (setting enemies / parts of environment on fire).

Ugly: :?
- Some jumping sections are extremely irritating: they're doable, but once you beat them and reach the teleporter, you will happily teleport around them from now on.
- The third magical attack (death cloud) is IMO useless (stationary, while both you and enemies are p. mobile).
- The game is quite short (~6 hours).
- Graphics are pixelated due to game's origins (mobile / 3ds game).

Bad: :(
- Character is prone to falling of the ledges, which gets really irritating during the most difficult jumps in monkey form. It's IMO less about controls (these are fine) and more about wonky sprite collision (character / ledge).
- Respawn rate in regular areas is too high IMO.

Verdict:

:4/5:

Short, but sweet.

2) Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP)

Good: :)
- Fantastic tactical gameplay, improved when compared to VC1:
* capturing the camps and moving between them is now crucial,
* special effects in areas like fog or heat (can be canceled with proper tank equipment),
* more classes, some of them great (fencers), some of them meh (sappers),
* new class system (you have to meet some conditions to change classes).
- Gameplay stays fun during the whole, long game.
- Probably the only mix of TB and RT in a tactical game, which actually works and is fun to play. At least that I know of.
- Gazillion things to do and tweak: units' equipment, tank equipment, classes, units' potentials (some of them unlocked via special missions), etc.
- New tank types (APC rock da hause).
- Bunkers are a nice addition to the gameplay, since they can fuck-up your infantry with ease.
- Game is extremely long, with million of missions and solid post-game content.

Ugly: :?
- Recycled, small maps. Did not bother me, since maps are just a framework for mission design (diversified by some areas being blocked off, different unit placement, etc.), but it can irritate some people.
- Basically, the game is more about the gameplay (a series of 1000 skirmishes), than about some epic story and linear campaign, like VC1. Again, I liked it actually, but it's not for everyone.
- Some classes are useless (sappers, musicians, anti-tank snipers).
- Same problem with tanks. Sticking to APC (low AP cost, carries 2 units out of the box, 12 upgrade slots) and a flamethrower (kills multiple enemies at once) is enough for the entire game. Shit like ultra heavy turrets and long-range supporting artillery is IMO totally useless.
- Numerous cast of units, yet it's best to just stick to selected few (3 scouts, 3 MG-fags, 2 lancers, 2 fencers, 2 engineers and 1 sniper) than waste your time on leveling up every fucking unit in rooster. After all, getting your units KOed during missions is doing it wrong...
- Scouts were nerfed when compared to VC1 (more fragile), but gunners were buffed instead. These fags/dykes can survive enemy suppression fire, traverse p. long distances and use both MG (multiple hits to single target) and flamethrowers (single hit to multiple targets / destroys bunkers).
- Ubersnipers are imba AF too. I mean, three consecutive shots per salvo? The fuck?
- Story is full of anime cliches. The entire game takes place within the "military academy" and deals with usual anime high school trope shit. All of this is skippable, but still decline. Not that VC1 story was anything great...
- Some DLC missions are p. easy to complete, yet give you uberequipment, which makes campaign missions trivial. OFC, you don't have to play those or use this equipment, but still.
- Getting some parts for crafting can be a real chore (you have to complete a certain mission each time you want a certain item). Spergs galore.
- And getting them is often useless, since there's way to much shit to craft anyway. Some equipment branches are totally useless (-10 damage yet some useless status effect - isn't it simpler to just kill the enemy with stronger attack than poison him?).

Bad: :(
- Due to their insane evading abilities, there's almost no way of dealing with bosses, except using units whose attacks can't be dodged (fencers).
- Fantastic for tactical junkies like me, but casuals, storyfags and arcade fags will probably get bored fast...

Verdict:

:4/5:

JapTacticuling at it's (almost) best, fuck the haters.

Ocelot

Learned
Hollow Knight. Reminds of Dark Souls 1 every step of the way and the devs have obviously taken inspiration from that game, but it's really fun.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Yakuza 1 for the ps2.
Exploring is fun and very shenmue like but i am not enjoying the combat system.
Do the later entries have a better lock on mechanic because currently it is annoying to miss a enemy in front of you and it is annoying to pick up the wrong thing when there are multiple items on the ground?
It also doesn't help that the camera is terrible in closed spaces.
Also dodging is way too strong since everything has a delay except it,you can dodge almost anything way too easily.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Yakuza 1 for the ps2.
Exploring is fun and very shenmue like but i am not enjoying the combat system.
Do the later entries have a better lock on mechanic because currently it is annoying to miss a enemy in front of you and it is annoying to pick up the wrong thing when there are multiple items on the ground?
It also doesn't help that the camera is terrible in closed spaces.
Also dodging is way too strong since everything has a delay except it,you can dodge almost anything way too easily.
Should've picked up a PS4 and played Kiwami. Later games have lock on but I don't think you can miss enemies in front of you

Humppaleka

Cipher
Let's see...

Spellforce: Order of Dawn and Robin Hood (the Commandos-style game) on hold as I don't have my main computer with me. Both okay.
Mortal Kombat (DOS), vowed to beat the game.
Beneath a steel sky, if I would actually finish this this time.

Not much else, will get into Colonization soon.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Far Cry 4 sucks. Far Cry 3 must have sucked too; I just didn't know any better. The movement is so damn slow. How am I supposed to have fun shooting when I'm WALKING? Why do people keep buying these games?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Far Cry 4 sucks. Far Cry 3 must have sucked too; I just didn't know any better. The movement is so damn slow. How am I supposed to have fun shooting when I'm WALKING? Why do people keep buying these games?

I found Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, since you start with most of the skills you have to unlock in the base game. On the other hand, the art style is totally different and it's much shorter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom