Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Going to play Final Fantasy Tactics next since I'm always hearing that it's good and I don't play enough SRPGs. I'm also getting that itch to replay Deus Ex again since it's been a while.

There's a "correct" way to play Final Fantasy Tactics: On emulator, but with FFT Complete.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=b777c32alknlc8akdo7r3db2v7&board=26.0

This is the definitive version of the game, because it lacks the butchering of sound/visuals and slowdown of the PSP War of the Lions version, but includes the superior non-Engrish translation.

Ironically they never fully completed it, but there are only a few issues with the text here and there.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat The Book of Unwritten Tales. There aren't many real adventure games made anymore, but this one can be called a worthy adventure game in my book. Just as goofy as the first one, but still fun to play and I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. Loved the soundtrack, too.

Vorark

Erudite
Finished Bloodborne, no dlc.

Until Rom, the game was very enjoyable. Fair challenges, interesting locales to explore, awesome presentation. However, after Rom, it took a dip into bullshit territory: modified version of Unseen Village was annoying as fuck; Nightmare Frontier with its frenzy inducing enemies and all grey color palette (couldn't see shit); enemies with perfect tracking accuracy; Micotrash. Upper Cathedral area and Ebrietas were mostly alright, except for the brain suckers, to hell with that grab attack. Visited Cainhurst later in the game, but my patience by then was gone.

Unseen Village is a good example of what I'm talking about: you are taken there unexpectedly, the ominous choir, the enemies hitting you harder than anything else before (while being fair) -- it's an incredible atmospheric area. Then you visit again, after dealing with Rom... bell maidens respawing trash mobs, hunter trio (wanna throw me bullshit encounters? then I'm gonna cheese my way out), poor boss fight (I kept getting stuck in one of its legs, ugh).

Got the sunrise ending, liked it well enough. Turn back before you go mad and lose your humanity.

Overall, I can't help but be reminded of DS1: strong 1st half, underwhelming 2nd one. I'm disappointed too, after the hype surrounding BB, to end up like this.

Vorark

Erudite
Welcome to Cancerville, population: probably every "Souls-like" game from here on out.

Actually, I played DS3 way before BB and I still remember Gundyr spinning like a ballerina to hit you in the face. For better or worse, it set the tone for the rest of the game, you knew exactly what you were getting into. BB didn't have much tracking initially, not until enemies capable of energy attacks showed up. Of course, said enemies appeared once Rom was beaten. It was jarring.

You are correct in your assessment. No game got it right after DS1, which either didn't have tracking or it was applied in moderation, been years since I played it. Nevertheless, people bitched so much about circle strafing that we now have these cheap tricks. It's not a new phenomenon or exclusive to Souls series, Monster Hunter pulled the same thing in third gen and upped it during the fourth. You know, for the sake of difficulty. Yep. :roll:

Dux

Arcane
Underrail

This is one of the few games lately which I decided not to finish. I was infilitrating the Institute trying to find the elusive cube and after a particular fight with about ten muties along with their stupid mutts, my patience gave out. For about 40 hours I've been playing as a psi/melee build and I've had my share of fun, no doubt about it. There's a lot of positives to take away from this experience and I still judge this game to be a worthy addition into any credible CRPG rotation. I'll probably return to it sometime in the future, considering that different builds offer different strategies and there's a few quests I didn't do. Ultimately, the reason I decided to uninstall after that mutie fight was not necessarily because of it alone, rather than what the fight represented. I did pretty damn well in that fight, considering; throwing fire around, crowd control and racking up kills pretty fast. It wasn't enough, though, as if often the case in this game. At the fourth turn I was predictably crit'ed and died instantly, mostly due to the hypo cooldown was still two turns away. When I stared at the death screen I just felt tired to the bone, because I knew instinctively that this would be the entire game for the rest of the duration. The things I've heard about The Deep Caverns played rather heavily into my decision as well. I just wasn't having fun anymore. The story didn't exactly grab me and my incentive for soldiering on was always exploration and such. I don't have that anymore. I'm sated.

I confess I went into this game rather ignorant. I was expecting a Fallout-esque RPG and I was partially right. However, the game is obviously not as refined or fleshed out. The limited AI really impacts the battles at length. When you've done hundreds of fights, it all becomes rather predictable and boring. Any burrower fight: fail initiative, they lay egg, shoots you two times and you're poisoned. Every opponent you face also has a plethora of AP, running around half of the map before hitting you four times, takes adrenaline, hits you again and then runs away if you're still alive. I spent a lot of points into dodge and evasion but every mid to high-tier enemy still enjoy a 4/5 chance to hit - without exception. If there's one thing Underrail's combat has taught me is that either you kill your enemies within three or so turns or you're fucked, depending on circumstances - because they're not going to miss. That won't stop you from consistently missing 90% chances, however. So it's crowd control and damage control until exhaustion. That's what I am right now: exhausted. The endless backtracking also didn't help in that regard, as well as the completely useless auto-map.

Despite all of this, I don't go away mad. I've had fun and this game scratched that Fallout itch I've had for a long time, even though it's not a perfect successor, obviously. It is one of the more admirable efforts I've seen, though. There's real potential here, I think. Refine the AI, tone down the THC and perhaps reduce the total AP in combat - in order to make it more dynamic - and you've got a real recipe for success. Finding oddities in order to level up is also a very nice idea, directly rewarding exploration. So despite an incomplete playthrough my own impression of Underrail is still pretty damn complete.

:4/5:

(Not a fan of the Gauntlet, though)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I truly believe people have forgotten how awful Fallout's combat was. It's great, yet awful.

Dux are you sure you didn't forget to pick up a shield emitter? Burrowers and such become cakewalks once you've got one. Can't help but feel you're dropping the ball on a few things somewhere, because I've played all the way through Underrail as several different builds and never had that much trouble with the game's combat.

Dux

Arcane
I had a good shield emitter but that will only get you so far in a clusterfuck around mid- to endgame. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that burrowers or that the combat itself is particularly difficult, especially not at later levels. It's just that it all becomes very predictable and a bit of a slog.

Of course that's just one man's opinion.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Been faggin out on ps4 lately- Bought the complete edition of diablo 3, as It was 60% off a week ago. First time I've seen a blizzard game on sale. The game sucks and is boring... I wanted to try the adventure mode or whatever its called but you gotta beat the game&expansion to unlock it. Fucking retarded. This game has the worst story and dialogue I have ever seen. Bioware if fucking Shakespeare compared to this shit... And its incredibly disruptive to gameplay.

Return to town and talk to a guy to proceed.

PorkBarrellGuy

Picking Dungeons of Dredmor back up. Easymoded my first GRPD Dredmor kill with a caster-y sort that threw lots of nasty things, now I'm going to do it with a melee.

sparq_beam

You are correct in your assessment. No game got it right after DS1, which either didn't have tracking or it was applied in moderation, been years since I played it. Nevertheless, people bitched so much about circle strafing that we now have these cheap tricks. It's not a new phenomenon or exclusive to Souls series, Monster Hunter pulled the same thing in third gen and upped it during the fourth. You know, for the sake of difficulty. Yep. :roll:

I also had the impression in DS3 that enemies either had much more stamina than you or recovered it much faster. That combined with tracking made shields much less viable. Is it even possible to beat DS3 without relying on dodge rolls? I suppose you can also use a bunch of ripostes, but I'm not a fan of them, or of backstabs, because of the long animation time with no control.

With the exception of one specific enemy, I don't remember this being a problem in Nioh.

I still had a great time with DS3, but I'm baffled as to why the developers would change it this way.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Is it even possible to beat DS3 without relying on dodge rolls?

Nope. That's the core mechanic of the entire game.

But don't worry: Backstabs are easy as shit to pull off, and you're completely invincible during the entire animation, because backstabbing is definitely a high-skill tactic that deserves to be rewarded. It's almost as though not conferring a free 3-4 seconds of total invincibility would have balanced them better... nah, couldn't be.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Pretty sure someone (I'd assume Lobosjr) did a DS3 playthrough with no dodge rolls at SL1 or something. Ah, apparently wasn't him, but someone evidently far more hardcore: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC5au9T8EJP-X-Q5RbqzdMJRFF0B1bryl

So fear not, you can still beat the entire game by mindlessly circling left or right around literally every enemy in the game, just like in the good old days.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I'm about to play Jagged Alliance 2 and I suddenly thought of some obscure little blog that Lilura may have mentioned in passing once or twice.
So I decided to see what she had to say about JA2, and I found some useful advice:

The two most important aspects of I.M.P. chargen are Personality Profile and Attributes & Skills.
My advice for a new player is to just answer the 16 questions honestly and see what comes out of it.
You should check your I.M.P. in the Personnel Manager to confirm your trait. Here is mine:
skill.jpg

My Psycho attitude doesn't show up, but it's there. Just waiting to trigger...
psycho.jpg

Rarely does one witness such insight!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm flattered that someone as monocled as you — one who admits to playing Oblivion before Jagged Alliance 2 — would consult my unequaled starting-point write-up for the greatest turn-based tactical game ever.

Vorark

Erudite
Fucking Bloodborne, I hate yet I love you.

After all my bitching and against my better judgement, I started a new character. Gonna try a DEX skill based one, I think. Breezing away now that I know how the stats and mechanics work. I only learned how to properly pull visceral attacks and backstabs near the end game of my original run. Father Gascoigne, I'm gonna own your ass.

Fuck my life. :dealwithit:

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Fucking Bloodborne, I hate yet I love you.

After all my bitching and against my better judgement, I started a new character. Gonna try a DEX skill based one, I think. Breezing away now that I know how the stats and mechanics work. I only learned how to properly pull visceral attacks and backstabs near the end game of my original run. Father Gascoigne, I'm gonna own your ass.

Fuck my life. :dealwithit:

Redpill me on a bloodborne machine, this constant bloodborne shilling that makes me want to not play the game intensifies every day. But I have managed to remain absolutely spoiler free this far.

Also I started Deus Ex since some oldfags from here keep insisting, very fun game with a good story so far even though this is my 5th try going at this game. Apparently I missed a lot, so I'll be sure to play it a few more times after I'm done. Having only played DXHR i have to admit that it's a big change from design to combat to characters and was surprised that the piss on piss stained glass on piss stained canvas filter looking game was prior to the first one considering how more advanced technologically the prequel is (even in terms of clothing and design of future 56%ers, probably Elon Musk died between 3 and 1 so science went back to normal, relatively: looking at you weird monsters from mj12).

Crusader Kings 2, going in back after my break. G*d did I miss this game, from the intrigue to warfare to politics to your demon kid murdering your only heir as you grasp at straws: fighting off 3 revolts, trying fend off the plague as it reaches your capital. Great game released by danish developers.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Is it even possible to beat DS3 without relying on dodge rolls?

Nope. That's the core mechanic of the entire game.

But don't worry: Backstabs are easy as shit to pull off, and you're completely invincible during the entire animation, because backstabbing is definitely a high-skill tactic that deserves to be rewarded. It's almost as though not conferring a free 3-4 seconds of total invincibility would have balanced them better... nah, couldn't be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/771k4y/every_game_in_the_trilogy_beaten_at_sl1_without/

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Spending a month on a boss to learn what distances triggered what attacks and what was RNG etc to get that perfect restriction run like that guy presumably did does seem a little extreme. He is like the anti-Dean Takahashi.

Krivol

Magister
I just dropped Dragon's Dogma after two quests for some princess - writers were totally retarded here... (I mean, she felt in love with me after 1 meeting, then her husband throwed me to the dungeon, I escaped, and this moron forgot whole case... after a moment he sent his wife to far-away tower, I went to help her and we fucked with guards patroling nearby area, because why not. I think I start playing this game as a kid, because this scene will be hilarious that way).

Now I'm getting raped in FTL. What a game! easily 9/10

Humppaleka

Cipher
So yeah finished KotOR II. Really really good. Except the combat of course, where my cookiecutter started oneshotting everything somewhere at 2/3 of the game, including at least twoshotting most bosses. But yeah, that aside, really good. The only problem is the engine which makes some things weird as fuck, such as cutscenes being really spastic, fading out and cutting in weird places, what with the silly animations making it look even weirder. :5/5: trollfaces for you Avellone anyway.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
un2.jpg

UNCLAIMED WORLD

This is game is micromanager's delight, a truly feast for the senses, a complex settlers type game where if you want to catch a fish, you first need to go through one hundred steps first.​

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

I just dropped Dragon's Dogma after two quests for some princess - writers were totally retarded here... (I mean, she felt in love with me after 1 meeting, then her husband throwed me to the dungeon, I escaped, and this moron forgot whole case... after a moment he sent his wife to far-away tower, I went to help her and we fucked with guards patroling nearby area, because why not. I think I start playing this game as a kid, because this scene will be hilarious that way).

If you play (or stop playing) Dragon's Dogma because of the story, you're doing it wrong. That story is nothing to write home about, the pacing is off, and it's pretty obvious through large parts of it that they ran out of money. I still find it and some of its characters more interesting than most other games' stories and characters, and the game actually has some decent c&c (even though it's not immediately obvious). And it mostly doesn't get in the way of the gameplay, which is superb and the reason why you should continue playing. At the very least you should give Bitterblack Isle a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom