Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Okami was a nice game but I remember it had interminable tutorials and annoying gibberish voices all the time. I never managed to finish it back when I played it on the ps2.
Apparently now you can skip the 30 minutes video-tutorial at the beginning now. Still, the first couple of hours are mostly handholded.

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm still wasting time on Hollow Knight, Steel Soul Mode, and I died in the most embarrassing way to the Flukemarm. Instead of using a proper strategy or preparing myself with charms, I just rushed in and let myself get overwhelmed by the little flying worms.
This boss is supposed to be easy.
And it's optional.
And the reward is a charm I wouldn't use anyway.
:dance:

circ

Arcane
Tried to do some more BioWaring. Tried to do some DA 2. Even with it being crap in every way and with clunky combat DAO is worlds away from DA 2. It's like someone threw shit and piss in a blender and left the lid off.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Finally tried Underrail... I am having a blast. I wish I knew how good it is before, thought people are exaggerating.
Went full psi-mage and I am wrecking everybody with sole raw power of my mind, shit's awesome.
Now, after killing some random guy in deep tunnels I looted him and found awesome armor. Few times better than shit I currently wear.
And I felt it. The emotion I haven't felt for a looong time.
Enjoyment from a good and meaningful loot.
:desu:

xzoiosG.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried to do some more BioWaring. Tried to do some DA 2. Even with it being crap in every way and with clunky combat DAO is worlds away from DA 2. It's like someone threw shit and piss in a blender and left the lid off.
circ is not a learning animal.

baturinsky

Arcane
Titan Quest. Fun highly depends on the tree(s) I use. Dream has very strong AOE attacks that are slowing and/or paralysing enemies as bonus. Warfare seems to be not quite good against groups, i.e. against what you fight with 99% of time. But it's sturdy. Earth seems to be somewhere in-between - it has AOE on short-ish cooldown, tanky tank and a panic button, but still not as fun as Dream.

I'm having a really hard time finishing DA:O, guess i won't bother with 2 and Inquisition then.

Played The Evil Within 2 the past few days. Truly awful game. Played on highest difficulty (both nightmare and unlockable "classic" mode)

- AI
The AI in this game is the worst I've seen for a game with "stealth" mechanics. Basically if you run past anything that obstructs sight, you win. The enemy will lose track of you, move to the corner they last spotted you at, look around and go back to their designated patrol route. On top of this their sight radius is pathetic, they can't see a crouched player more than around 20 feet in front of them. On top of this, if they notice you from a distance they'll go through a very obvious "looking harder at you as if they can't tell whether you're a target or not" phase that takes several seconds in which you can get out, or just lure them away from the group since they don't alert nearby enemies if they are just investigating.

- Enemies.
Even worse. Almost every enemy is slow and non-threatening. The basic enemy type that accounts for 90% of the enemy population will never hit you if you are walking away from them. Yes, WALKING. You have a run function with stamina cost, but simply walking away from enemies will always succeed as every attack hits air. On top of that they have slow attack animations and constantly take time off from chasing you to sit there and growl and shit, meaning eventually if you simply walk past a few buildings or into bushes, you'll get away. There's only 3 regular enemies in the game that can't be walked away from: L4D Witches (actually terrifying and not too uncommon, rather than being hit-stunned by your heavy weapons they get hit-aggroed harder and fuck you up), dogs (pretty simple, rarely encountered) and flamethrower guys (ranged AoE attacks, but there's only like 3 in the game and are easily avoidable or sneak-killed). Bosses? Wow, they overwhelmingly suffer the exact same issues! Just walking away from most of them will let you escape from their attacks. 10 foot tall multi-headed bitch with giant sawblade? Walking works fine. Giant endboss shooting line attacks at you? Strafe-walk.

- "Stealth"
Also the worst I've seen. Normal sneaking up behind someone and stabbing is kind of alright and takes some skill to get kills with. Bottles are incredibly overpowered (Throw them at enemy's heads to stun and get a "sneak" kill while in combat with them) because you can now carry 5 of them at a time. But the game doesn't even tell you that bottles work, which I also have to subtract points for for failing to explain game basics in the tutorial like TEW1 did (I only figured it out near the middle of my classic run). But then you get to the corner kill move. What the fuck. Basically any time you are behind cover and the enemy can't see you, you can instantly sneak attack them. What counts as not being seen? Well, almost anything apparently. If 3 enemies are chasing you then you can run behind a chest high wall and sneak kill all 3 of them. The bodies even end up hilariously nicely stacked since the canned kill animation puts them right on top of each other. Thankfully the corner-kill can't be used in "classic", which removes the XP unlocks from the game.

- Open World
Ruins survival horror, or at least as presented in TEW2. Because stealth is so powerful and every enemy drops XP and leads to a net resource gain, you have no incentive to not clear out whole areas. Basically rather than being the prey that is hunted, you're now the predator looking for things to kill. Add a cape and Sebastian might as well be the god damned batman, cleaning up riff-raff on the streets of his city. Then you end up with absurd amounts of crafting materials to ensure you never run dry of ammo (I finished the game with around 900 gunpowder) and the whole game becomes a joke. On Classic you still clear the first two easy open world areas for resources, then end up at the end of the game wondering why you wasted all that time when you still end with 600 gunpowder. Thankfully the open world takes a backseat in the 2nd half of the game, where the game actually starts to present some challenge (RE4-style cabin battle and the fire walking part), but ultimately when you have so much built up ammo on the crossbow to launch AoE-stun bolts it becomes trivialized.

Overall I can see exactly why so many people and especially "professional game journalists" think TEW2 is an massive improvement over TEW1: It dumbs everything down significantly and makes the player an overpowered god while still pretending to be a difficult and intense game. At least the plot is decent and ends on a good note rather than making the whole thing all a dream.

4/10 please god help me if the genre becomes this shit.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I'm playing the new Zelda game on Cemu. I say, if you have the rig, go for it. It's absolutely playable for me with a Ryzen 1600 (no OC), a 1070 and 8gb RAM.

It's so good, I don't even remember when was the last time I was counting the hours before getting back to a game.

I don't even like open world games.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I sort of want to get Spellforce 3, but I dare not buy it. It is highly likely that I will not like it, due to RTS parts. I'm playing SFII: Anniversary Edition to see if the series is for me. I saw that I had it in my GOG library.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD: on chapter 2, boss battles are pissing me off because of super sensitive controls, I end up crouching instead of dodging half of the time. Also bosses leaving my field of view is a shitty dick move. But by god, I will finish this shit and get through all of MGS games(next is revengeance, then both MGSV games)

Zelda: BOTW: Done with Zora's domain, was gonna go to the volcano, but then realized I don't have enough cash to get the heat resistant armor. Now whoring for money

Mario Odyssey: At the second half of Bowser's castle. Just gotta get through it

Legend of the dragoon: Muh teenage jrpg. I'm somewhere in the middle of disk 2 I guess. ON that ghost ship with it's annoying filler combat, made me put it on pause and start FFVI

FFVI: I don't even know why, I'm just checking it out

PS:T: Maybe I'll finally finish it this time, but i'm still very early on

Battlefield 1: I just love playing medic. Finally unlocked Pharmacist specialization, which heals me when I'm healing allies. It's pretty cool, lets me run around and revive people left and right, while staying relatively healthy. Got 45 revives in a match last night.

HansDampf

Arcane
On my third attempt in Hollow Knight's Steel Soul Mode. I don't even buy maps anymore, at least not in the early stages when money is still hard to come by. It's better spent on vital equipment like Quick Focus (fast healing) and extra health. I'm now pretty far into the game, I'd say half-way, with 9 hitpoints (7 + Fragile Heart), and I need one more notch to also add Fragile Strength. That should be my standard loadout until I can get Shape of Unn. With Unn + Quick Focus you can move at almost normal speed while healing, so that's pretty useful. Seems like a good plan. All I have to do is not die. :|

I've also been playing Paper Mario 2 on and off, and I'm going for pure Badge Mario with constant danger-bonus. That should get interesting later. I still like the humor, but the game has more pointless walking than I remembered.

sullynathan

Arcane
Playing Mankind Divided for a while.

Average Manatee I tried the shitty trial and the game was boring as hell and was a borderline walking simulator. I don't see how people are saying it's a modern Resident Evil 4.

mbv123

Arbiter

I'm having a really hard time finishing DA:O, guess i won't bother with 2 and Inquisition then.
I've started DA:O like 3 times, with different characters. Always end up dropping it because it's too fucking boring and generic. Then I pick it up again thinking I'll finish it this time and maybe it gets better at the end but it never does and when I have to go through gametime padding shit like Fade or Deep Roads, I'd rather drink a gallon of bleach than up with that shit anymore

Average Manatee I tried the shitty trial and the game was boring as hell and was a borderline walking simulator. I don't see how people are saying it's a modern Resident Evil 4.

First 45 Minutes are definitely total walking simulator. After that there's only a handful of very small shitty walking simulator parts. I used a speed hack set at 3x speed to whiz through all of that shit my 2nd time through. For some reason the ability to skip cutscenes is given and taken away completely arbitrarily.

I bought it because I figured sale + liked TEW1 a lot = not much could go wrong. Probably should have tried the demo first but the beginning of TEW1 was pretty lame too and probably it wouldn't have revealed the bigger issues. TEW1 is a decent nuRE4 though and worth playing. Not what I'd call a classic but it sticks to the formula better than anything Capcom have put out, and the additional stealth elements and special weapons/items work fairly well. I'm pretty sure TEW2's comparisons to RE4 just comes from advertising money, same way any big RPG release would get compared to Skyrim/Fallout or any big RTS release would get compared to Starcraft 2.

I've started DA:O like 3 times, with different characters. Always end up dropping it because it's too fucking boring and generic. Then I pick it up again thinking I'll finish it this time and maybe it gets better at the end but it never does and when I have to go through gametime padding shit like Fade or Deep Roads, I'd rather drink a gallon of bleach than up with that shit anymore

I just finished it. Move on dude, don't waste 50 precious hours of your life on this piece of shit, it's basically a mix of retarded writing and insanely boring filler combat.

Last edited:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

I'm in pretty much the same boat, but I think I have one more attempt in me. I hate using any sort of cheat in games, but there's some sort of mod that will just kill all nearby enemies. I'm considering it

circ

Arcane
I decided to give Sword Coast Legends another try because well, rpg-of any kind drought. Actually once you get into it, it has its moments...

VO is great, characters are interesting. There's some real proper grimdork here, the kind BioWare wishes it could deliver. Shitloads of items to pick from - too bad I'm with classes that have no use for most of it.

It's a shame then that it's buggy as a motherfucker, the combat is garbage and the skill trees are pretty wank, and worst of all, it's a Unity game so loadtimes and to a certain extent performance are shit. Nice environmental visuals though, though the same can't be said of NPCs, although it doesn't really matter.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nobunaga's Ambition: Ascension
Blobbed from 2,000 troops daimyo to 100,000 in 13 years game time.
Only to discover Nobunaga has amassed 500,000 well-trained troops and 200+ talented officers.

:negative: This end game always turn into a diplomatic game of perma-false alliance. Hate to resort to that.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm currently trying to beat Persona 2 EP, then SMT IV Apocalypse afterwards in order to finally jump back to CRPG stuffs.

Persona 2 EP has an intriguing storyline, but god It's so freaking linear, TB gameplay is OK but random encounters are annoying as hell, thus It almost feels like a chore.

SMT IV Apocalypse writing is utter garbage, 'tis the main reason I left it standby but at least It has the most polished blobber combat of all mainline megaten gaems.

the_shadow

Arcane
I'm currently playing Civilization IV with the Warlords XP and am really enjoying it. From what I've read the 'Vassal' feature got a lot of flak, but I think it adds a lot to the game when a weaker civ can take shelter under a stronger one. It's lead to some funny situations:

1. I was playing as Russia and has managed to beat down two other civs and take a lot of their land. However, Germany had grown significantly and was my next threat, so I negotiated peace with the two weaker civs and then moved most of my troops towards the German border and declared war. Suddenly I learnt that the 2 weaker civs had chosen to become vassals of Germany, and now I'm fighting a war on three fronts. I lost all the territory I had gained and then some.

2. I'm currently playing as the U.S and have expanded quite aggressively. While whittling down Spain I noticed that Gandhi had adopted pacifism. Within a few turns the Zulus had declared war and *steamrolled* them. Gandhi was left clinging to one city, and I didn't particularly feel like having to deal with the Zulus without a buffer zone, so I make peace with Isabella and declared war on the Zulus and tried to drive them back. However, I had grossly underestimated how many units they had. It was like clowns out of a clown car, I was just swarmed with cavalry and riflemen. What made things worse was that I didn't have open borders with Spain or India, so I had to re-initiate hostilities with Spain briefly.

In the end I made Spain my vassal via capitulation and had to purchase peace for Gandhi and myself with some techs and gold. I went back to lick my wounds and grow my economy, as well as gift some techs/gold to Gandhi. After about 15 turns I'd completed the techs for fighters and infantry and had done some rush buying and went back for Round 2 vs. Shaka's riflemen and cavalry. It was slow going but I've cut the Zulu empire down by half and gifted a bit of territory back to the Indians. It helped that I had Spain as a vassal, as their city was on the Zulu border where I can base my aircraft for bombing runs. Funnily enough, once I'd given Shaka a good smackdown, the Indians declared war on him as well :lol:.

Unfortunately there are two other civs on the other side of the Zulus (Carthage and Arabia) who have been developing freely without having any war affect them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom