Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
4th playtrough, still amazed how overwhelming is the atmosphere of darkness and despair in Kotor 2. It's literally disturbing.
Only games that may be compared to it are fallout and PS: Torment... and as Kotor 2, they are all Avellone's work.
Music, of course, is great.

And remeber, fuck SWTOR. Tried playing, it made me vomit beceause of how bad it was.

Cael

Arcane
Fallout Tactics.

Isn't it sad when a tactical game like FOT has more memorable characters than games that tell us they are RPGs?

Unwanted
6RToFku.jpg

Your end is nigh, Soviet scum. Over 400 brigades encircled but you can't see all of them in one shot.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yesterday, I beat Risen and Layers of Fear. I'm now playing a turn-based Chinese rpg named 鸿源战纪 - Tales of Hongyuan. It has started off slow. Like a cliched jrpg, but hopefully, it will pick up as I progress.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also see those mountains? You can actually climb them. And you don't need to abuse space button either. Also, I'm running this on my shitty laptop and it runs great. One of the best optimized games I've played. Heard that they dropped the ball with JC3 so that's a shame.
They bitten more than they could making Mad Max and Just Cause 3 at the same time, by playing Mad Max, you see where most of their attention gone, Just Cause 3 was the B project and boy... that shows. On Just Cause 2, you have three factions to do jobs for and each job was kinda unique and the main missions were unique setpieces too but do you know the more repetitive content like army base conquering?

They made that 90% of the content of Just Cause 3, there are no factions, ALL missions are army bases take overs with each base only being slightly different from the others, not only that, there are three islands on the game, and you need to conquer the three islands and the process is: take enough army bases, then take the central fortress then repeal the army counter attack, if you did this only one time, it would be okay but you have to do this THREE fucking times when you already took your fill of this the first time you done it.

Each city you conquer is the same, you have to attack the police station and explode what is inside, it is extremely fun to blow up tanks, hijack helicopters while they are flying and causing mayhem but it won't take long for you to notice that ALL cities are copy pasted from each other with the game don't even bothering to introduce new mechanics to spice up things.

The side activities are fucking horrible too, do you find fun to blow up a base again but empty, without any enemies on them? Yes, this is what pass as side content.

It is really Padding Cause 3, on the end of the day. Just Cause 2 is really fun, 3 is a rare case when a sequel offer less than the previous one on the series, if it wasn't for the graphics upgrade, anyone that played Just Cause 3 would think that Just Cause 2 is actually the sequel to it, it is this bad.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Mordheim.
Fuck me this game is a poorly designed shitshow. Charges don't work, I can stare at the enemy right in the eye but the prompt won't come up, the AI can zip across the battlefield while you can't, and the RNG doesn't fucking work. I should not be able to miss 3 80% attacks in a fucking row.
I really want to like the game, but there's so much that piss me off about it and its clear the devs are fucking amateurs.
The scattered mission has the worst design, because the game will always put your leader in the middle of a bunch of enemies away from your troops, so the AI will just gangrape him.
Apparently they are making necromunda, and I really hope they don't fuck it up as hard as they did for mordheim.

Cael

Arcane
Mordheim.
Fuck me this game is a poorly designed shitshow. Charges don't work, I can stare at the enemy right in the eye but the prompt won't come up, the AI can zip across the battlefield while you can't, and the RNG doesn't fucking work. I should not be able to miss 3 80% attacks in a fucking row.
I really want to like the game, but there's so much that piss me off about it and its clear the devs are fucking amateurs.
You should try Fallout Tactics. The number of times you miss at 95% is hilarious.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Mordheim.
You should try Fallout Tactics. The number of times you miss at 95% is hilarious.

I tried it. It's shit. The random encounter system is the most broken garbage across the series, as every half second you get interrupted by something. Like, fuck off, I have shit to do.

Cael

Arcane
I tried it. It's shit. The random encounter system is the most broken garbage across the series, as every half second you get interrupted by something. Like, fuck off, I have shit to do.
Yep. I have had times when my dot on the map refused to move and I just kept clicking on the "No" button ten times straight due to the encounters. But that wasn't the point, was it?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, the rng is kind of screwy in tactics as well. Unlike mordheim though, you can actually reload your game in tactics, so if you get some legendary bad luck you can fix it, or if the game throws you a curve ball you can plan around it.
In mordheim if the game screws you over you can't do anything about it, and its impossible to recover as the AI will still have experienced units while you have to rely on shitty replacements.
I understand now why they added that hidden handicap bonus in XCOM 2, because relying on pure RNG on a ironman style game where you invested some 20-30 hours in, only to lose it all because of an algorithm is pretty fucking bullshit.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yes, they added that crap because silly console children get angry when things don't go their way.

Its funny you say that, because Mordheim looks like a console game. Has a shitty UI like one, anyway.
You might like it when you have to start a new campaign because of RNG nonsense rather than actual tactical errors, but I prefer more substantial reasons for starting a new game.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, the rng is kind of screwy in tactics as well. Unlike mordheim though, you can actually reload your game in tactics, so if you get some legendary bad luck you can fix it, or if the game throws you a curve ball you can plan around it.
In mordheim if the game screws you over you can't do anything about it, and its impossible to recover as the AI will still have experienced units while you have to rely on shitty replacements.
I understand now why they added that hidden handicap bonus in XCOM 2, because relying on pure RNG on a ironman style game where you invested some 20-30 hours in, only to lose it all because of an algorithm is pretty fucking bullshit.
I mod Tactics so that all my guys have Fear the Reaper as an extra trait and play on Tough Guy mode only. You kill a bad guy and suddenly three of your squad become fountains of gore and guts because they were already injured. Hilarity ensues.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
How do you even beat the game like that? Don't get hit? I guess I can see the tactics behind that. Cover and damage mitigation is part of the game's mechanics.
I don't think you really have mechanics like that in mordheim. It's not very clear.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

except the ai team values are always scaled to yours

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

except the ai team values are always scaled to yours

Do they really? Because I had to use a bunch of fresh recruits, and the AI's units had better hit chances and dodge chances than mine. They also had absurdly high move speeds, and these were witchhunters, not skaven.
That's another problem I have with the game; the lack of a grid system that tells you how far everything is. Instead its this weird 3rd person thing were you can't really get a good feel of where everything is. I mean, its a unique approach to TBS, but it doesn't really feel right. There is a map, but you can't control guys from it and it still doesn't tell you distances.
I would have greatly preferred it if move distances were set, and it was only strategy points that mattered.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
iirc the base ai team value is always scaled to yours and spread out evenly - so if you have 3 supermen and 5 scrubs worth 1400 in total, the AI will have 8 average guys worth 1400 in total

mission difficulty also scales the enemy dudes' stats further after the team value's been evened out, increasing their hp and damage done (and other stats as well maybe, but i'm not sure) according to difficulty - the exact numbers might even be specified somewhere in game

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished main story in AC Origins. Took me 42 hours. I pretty much moved as the quests went with recommended level. Even now there are like 4-5 areas that I didnt explore, some 30 quests left and bunch of other shit I didnt do. There's a level cap at 40 but you get ability points at each level up. With current content they couldve let it go easily till 60-70. 77% completion.

Main story was gay towards the end, the birth of assassins brotherhood was lame as fuck. Also railroading last 2 acts into 2 hours of gameplay looks like they had to do a rush job towards the end.

Some good things here. No collectibles. Arena in Cyrene is awesome. Sidequests are well made. Liked the combat, also liked the aspect that you're not OP, you will get fucked with buttonmashing. Can get pretty tense when you have a big guy with several archers chasing you.

I'll give it 8/10.
Would have liked better/more complicated tomb puzzles with some Indiana Jones like traps,they are all pretty easy to complete.
Bayek also seems more limited compared to earlier assassins, theres no double assassination, there are few animations and assassins blade is the least useful item in the game.

Imo, I dont even know why did they have to call it Assassins Creed, coudl've made an entirely new franchise out of this.
As a AC game its pretty meh, but as a game on its own its pretty great.

Cael

Arcane
How do you even beat the game like that? Don't get hit? I guess I can see the tactics behind that. Cover and damage mitigation is part of the game's mechanics.
I don't think you really have mechanics like that in mordheim. It's not very clear.
Cover, ambushes, being aware of the condition of your squad, healing.

Fear the Reaper basically deals a massive amount of damage to you but the damage is scaled to your level and hp. It shouldn't blow you up at full hp, but that is about the only guarantee you have. Also, it doesn't always trigger. Keeping your hp percentage high should mitigate most of the danger. Roll the dice, as they say.

20180101043936_1byjwc.jpg

I recently bought Memoria in a sale for peanuts and I wanted to replay Satinav as I don't remember anything anymore. It's a pretty game, too bad Daedalic has gone full decline.

laclongquan

Arcane
I mod Tactics so that all my guys have Fear the Reaper as an extra trait and play on Tough Guy mode only. You kill a bad guy and suddenly three of your squad become fountains of gore and guts because they were already injured. Hilarity ensues.

You basically ask for it. Fear the Reaper = possible chance of sudden death (-50-100HP) on level up, which happen after you get xp, which happen after you kill a bad guy. Read the fucking description text, yo!

spekkio

Arcane
Yep. I have had times when my dot on the map refused to move and I just kept clicking on the "No" button ten times straight due to the encounters. But that wasn't the point, was it?
Guys, you do realize that this is broken due to game's age (random encounters are bound to CPU speed)?
Simplest way of dealing with this is simply by removing randoms altogether:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-mods-metagaming-is-magic.90452/#post-3166773

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After the increasingly more grueling experience of playing Throne of Bhaal I needed something totally different, so now I'm playing U.S.S Darkstar for Half-Life. Started slowly, but is improving, with some very atmospheric levels. A bit of a forerunner to System Shock 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom