Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Starwars

Arcane
Actually replaying Dungeon Siege 3. It's a pretty fun game I think, I like the gameplay. It just doesn't rise to any levels of excellence. Will never understand the hate it gets though, then again I never liked the first two games so what do I know.

One thing I really do love about it is how it looks. They did a really good job with the lighting and making the areas feel vibrant. The audio is also great.

Deleted member 7219

Completed Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero free DLC. Lots of shootin', not much storyfaggotry, which is a shame because I find that a lot of fun in the Resident Evil series (no, seriously, the Japanese can be hilarious when they write westernised settings).

Back to Tales of Berseria. Less shootin', but still a surprising amount of violence for a JRPG.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Right now I'm playing D:OS 2 and cleaning my backlog with Far Cry 4, the Far Cry series after Ubisoft took over suffer of one of the worst cases of "Man this could be so great, it is a pity that it isn't.". I have no doubt that Ubisoft has really talented artists, sound designers, writers and gameplay designers, it is just a pity that the management has other priorities than actually to make a truly great game.

Of all things wrong with this game, the shooting model take the top of the list, the weapons have almost no recoil and the weapons shoot with pin point accuracy, both yours as the enemy. This actually is old news, everybody knows that console shooters can't hold a candle to PC exclusive ones because the inferior controlling method of consoles means the necessity of a simpler shooting model and slower movement speeds, however, this is made even worse by Far Cry open enviroments.

Far Cry 4 has a system where the closer you get to the Ai, the higher is the DPS it can deliver, it is a standard system on shooters with hitscan weapons as it isn't fun to be one shot killed from the other side of the map by any random mook, the problem is that this doesn't apply to you, your basic SMGs and rifles have obscene precision and damage. So, the end result is that any competent FPS player can mow down enemies before they can react, I was killed more times by wild life attacking me by surprise and falls than I did by enemy fire.

The designers could have, in part, compensate this by just overwhelming the player with numbers and attacks from multiple directions but the game refuses to escalate the fights, I dunno if it is because it would be ridiculous to kill an entire battalion or because of an engine limitation but boy, you really need to be incompetent or like me, don't giving much of a fuck about what is happening anyway to actually die.

So why I keep playing this game? Because of what I just said, the art, the sound design, the writing, the lore and world design of Not-Nepal or as the game calls it, Kyrat, is pretty entertaining and you see the potential in it. There is something fun of shooting the driver of an enemy pickup, stealing it, then turn around to be throw in the air still inside the vehicle by an angry rhino or just walk around and see little ambient storytelling moments like an executed family inside their house that refused to grow poppy to produce heroin or just walk around on the forests and see wolves running after deers or two bears fighting for domination then just find a huge southeast asian looking statue... it is fun when you aren't walking on huge but empty sections of the map.

There is a huge potential to truly fun emergent gameplay as it is truly fun on the rare occasion it happens but the game lacks the systems and content to properly support it and as the Ubisoft overlords need to produce a game like this every year to make shareholders happy, this won't change any time soon. Buy it at 75% off like I did, this is the price that Ubisoft low effort truly deserves.

Did they finally ditch the hard-coded(?) mouse acceleration?
I played it anyway, but geez... Following a target from one side of the screen to the other was just way off.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I ended my Last Remnant Hard Solo playthrough due to being clearly impossible to do the DLCs without an obscene amount of luck in battle or luck-based grinding. Basically I have capped rush's stats (every unit has stat growth that can be capped that can be grinded normally through skill use up to "level 99"), and now I have to do the grind wherein it triggers at chance at the end of the battle based on Battle Rank difference as this is the universal growth. Even with 30+ BR difference it's still fairly low and it'll only trigger one or two stat (+10 HP, +1 AP, +1 STR/INT/SPD/UP) for most of the time.

It was still fun getting Rush Cachexia V, Band of Champions V, etc., making him an Ordainer, solo-ing the Six Bases, and almost killing the Fallen one time out of 30. I have done every other sidequest thus far except for the Fallen.

My final stats for Rush:

RpoPg9l.jpg

Now on to another SaGa game that I'll be trying to solo for the first playthrough.
OIhfTVL.png

Greetings again from the vastness of digital space.

While my progress in Wizards & Warriors (PC) has come to a standstill at the Serpent Cult Temple I've decided instead to dedicate this post to a game completed a few weeks ago. That game being...

Deadfall Adventures (Xbox 360 - 2013)

Originally developed for the 360 and PC before eventually being re-released on the PS3 in 2014; It is an Action/Adventure FPS with slight dashes of Puzzle and RPG genre's. The Farm 51, developers of said title, also worked on Time Ace (DS), PC FPS NecroVisioN, Painkiller: Hell & Damnation, and the recently released story-driven FPS Get Even.

Single Player

-Campaign Story-

Astoundingly cheesy and at times incompetently presented, the main plot will be familiar to anyone who has seen either the Indiana Jones films (or any similar knockoff of said films). Interestingly enough though this game's primary claim to influence (besides Indiana Jones and ripping off Alan Wake) is being a direct continuation of the Allan Quatermain series of adventure novels released from the late 1800's into the early 1900's. The main character is the great-grandson of said adventurer on the search for the "Heart of Atlantis" with a trusty female researcher/sidekick. The search for the Heart takes them (and the player) across the world, from Egypt to the Antarctic and South America, all the while fighting German and Russian evil-doers and undead guardians hellbent on either acquiring (or defending) the power of the artifact.

Hilarity ensues, with each character from ruthless Germans to the headstrong, suave and cocky main character you play as trying to make the material click only to have certain cut scene's and exchanges come across as awkward, stilted and unintentionally funny. Characters also seem to have bizarrely slow reaction times when it comes to interacting with threats at key story moments. However despite those complaints ,along with so called "plot twists" that can be seen coming from a mile away, the story is not completely without merit. Making up for said deficiencies is a rather lengthy (10-15 hours at most if you play accordingly) adventure that is fairly well paced (though derivative), an interesting mythology that is discovered and explored, and a rather cheesy but nonetheless fitting ending. Unfortunately these minor boons cannot overcome the other issues presented in the gameplay itself.

-Gameplay-

Gameplay consist's of three primary focuses: combat, exploration (or what little there is), and puzzle solving.

-Combat-

Since the game is First-Person in nature most of the combat consists of shooting enemies (though you do have a knife for close quarters melee) or shooting at trap activation pads that kill enemies for you. Weapons range from the usual pistols (that can be dual wielded), sub-machine guns, rifles,shotguns, grenades, etc. You also have a "magical flashlight" that burns away at the "magical shielding" of undead enemies that in turn allows you to damage them (Cough!*Alan Wake*Cough!). On top of all this (as mentioned in the introduction) you have an RPG-esque upgrade system that improves combat survivability depending on the upgrade (more details on this later). Shooting is rather responsive and satisfying, however the terribly broken hit detection of your main character ( melee enemies being able to hit you from several feet away) coupled with the at times completely brain dead enemy and ally AI put a damper on this; One such incident of stupidity occurred when I went to explore a separate section of a map for collectibles. Apparently the female researcher who accompanies you will in many cases go into a trance like state, in which she will call out for help in attacking an enemy that she allows to be continuously shot by, while said enemy also decides to ignore you. Other instances of similar incidents involve undead enemies running into light sources multiple times, thus killing themselves. Thankfully most enemies do not require many shots to take down. Except for boss battles, which are both frustrating and woefully disappointing on many occasions, leaving practically no real sense of satisfaction from beating them, since they mostly rely on broken hit detection or spamming attacks (sometimes even straight through cover!).

-Exploration-

Not very extensive, considering most levels with rare exception are linear affairs with a few curiosities off in corners of maps. And as with the combat the environments can be prone to glitches (getting stuck in basic geometry, being propelled off a mountain to my death by an unseen force for daring to look off the edge) as well.
Most of the exploration performed in this game primarily serves to locate magical treasure artifacts used to level up character abilities. These abilities can be found at glowing yellow statues that give you a breakdown of available traits (stamina, better weapon accuracy, etc.) and the required number of treasures you need to have in order to unlock them. The possibility of acquiring all fully upgraded trait trees is never really beyond reach, since you do not even need to collect all of the available treasure pieces to obtain them (though you will need a lot). Searching for and acquiring these by either solving puzzles or dodging traps (stone crush, fire traps, floor traps, etc.) could have been more satisfying, if not for the magic compass and hint notebook that almost practically give you the answers to every conundrum encountered. Which can lead to decidedly mixed results in terms of satisfying player curiosity, especially when it comes to...

-Puzzles-

(Side Note: The game has both combat and puzzle difficulty options; For this write-up I played both set to Hard).

These can range from light configuration, to tile based, to even run of the mill placement of slabs in their correct position. Unfortunately, with the exception of a couple of standouts, the puzzles in question are rather rudimentary in nature and easily solved. And while it is nice that they are rather practical in execution, any semblance of player intuition or creativity can be mostly thrown out the window once you apply the notepad of hints into the mix.

-Multiplayer-

With the exception of a few mildly interesting game modes, very by-the-numbers; And when not by the numbers also prone to server issues.

Typical survival mode and death-match based game-modes (alongside costumes, character ranks, classes, and even kill streaks!) are bountiful, but the primary issue of the servers being unreliably lag intensive hamper the player experience even further.

-Conclusion-

While certain elements of the game alongside the overall goal of creating a fun adventurous romp, with more than enough content to spare are admirable, the overall execution feels half-baked and mediocre at best, and downright broken and uninspired at worst. As far as I'm concerned this is an "artifact" that belongs in a museum.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shelved Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned ships for a while, cause I seem to be hitting the peak level of character prowess. Will get back to it eventually.
Meanwhile a brief run of Torchlight which was fine until I got the Silent Storm itch again. And here I am, playing Sentinels. And damned if krumping the gits bare-handed never gets old. laclongquan can have his pistoleer build, I'll stick to one-punch knocknuts of unsuspecting guards with a scout who's carrying no gear whatsoever, thank you very much.
With luck this run won't consistently crash near the end missions.

kalganoat

Savant
I'm playing swtor f2p for the imperial agent story since I heard it's the one thing they did right.

I'm having fun with the story so far. But I kept think how much better this would be as a single player game.

The game is pretty much dead. Weekend night central hub has less than 200 people.

Hyperpube

Scholar
Saw it on my steam games lists and knew it was super short so I played The Beginner's Guide, guess i got it in a humble bundle awhile ago. Yeah it's totally a walking simulator and not really a game at all, you can just youtube it and get the same experience, but I gotta say it's definitely unique, and I liked it for what it was. More interesting than other walking sims such as Dear Esther and Gone Home, I also liked the trippy/surreal vibe. Close to the end of the game I felt like telling the narrator to settle down and shut the fuck up, but up until that point I really enjoyed it. With that said, I wouldn't recommend anybody actually buying it unless it came in a bundle like the one I bought, or if you just want to support the developers.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Finished To The Moon,a nice little game with FF6 style graphics,the gameplay is just basic and it mostly about the story and the music,so if you are a storyfag you should give it a try.It is really shot too,about 3 hours

The music and story are great. I didn't tear up at the end. You teared up the end.

circ

Arcane
Almost finished with Blackguards 1. Oh my god what repetitive shit. Everything feels like trash mobs, skills and spells extremely limited as they are lost any interest long ago.

Decided to try out Blackguards 2. Oh my god what is this shit? What a fucking mess. And more of the same boring maps with gameplay elements that make no sense.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still the best action RPG I've ever played:

UHyKw4R.jpg

Trying to build a decent Mystic Knight this time around, so levelling as Sorcerer and Assassin at the moment. Yes, I know a lot of people hate the vocation system that means you don't always level as the class you want to eventually play as if you want to min/max a bit, but I've got used to it now and I find every class fun anyway so it's not a big deal for me. The main game gets too easy and there's quite a lot of running back and forth, but the combat is so good and the pawn system is so engaging, I can forgive any flaws it has.

Capcom are sitting on a goldmine if they don't do a proper sequel, or even release Dragon's Dogma Online in the west. It's under £10 in the Steam sale atm, if anyone hasn't got it already.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
ipTwvn6.jpg

UdgKSeG.jpg

i am free

Christ, what a tough bitch. Ninja Gaiden (NES) made me realize how much I really love any game involving ninjas. It's amazing how the entire human race knows ninjas are about speed, as is reflected in the video game tributes to these mystical warriors. People ridicule Sonic for being a simple matter of holding down forwards to win, but that's only the case if you have honed your reflexes to ninja-like levels, as it is with Ninja Gaiden. And it really makes you feel like a ninja... but only if you learn how to become a master ninja first.

It's like someone played Castlevania, looked back on how much he enjoyed hitting candles while mid-air without killing momentum, and made a game entirely around that feeling. Standard standing slashes are quick and briefly freeze you in place, but you can also immediately slash after jumping to kill the poor bastard in front of you without missing a beat. Relentless push-forward aggression guarantees a higher chance of survival here than tip-toeing forwards like some kind of ninny stealth game character. Enemies will always spawn if you move the screen edge over a certain point, because you have no business walking backwards, nor can you always take out an enemy and be done with it forever. Sometimes an enemy will spawn from a certain point over and over if you keep killing it and the screen is at the right position, forcing you avoid it entirely or take it out while moving. There are even special spawn points which are only triggered if you move backwards to rub it in even more.

The game is lethally high-precision, if you stray too far from your personal route you'll land in Trouble Land as you're trying to prevent some tricky spawns from overwhelming you, though that's what makes improvisation all the more exciting. It's incredibly challenging for newcomers, but once you figure out some strategies you can pull through. Each enemy type is anal in its own way, especially the RNG-reliant hammer brothers and the fucking birds. That said, I'd be lying if I said the game was completely fair, which is not the case with some of the bats whose spawn point is placed right in the middle of the jumping trajectory between platforms of the average unaware player. Certain spawn points feel like they're just rubbing it in if you even dare to take a single step backwards.

There's the 'infamous' third screen of 6-2, but I figured out a surefire path which involves slashing the incoming bat from the first platform, jumping to the second one, jumping again over the incoming bird and football player, slowly inching to the right to get the hammer bro to despawn, jump forwards and then immediately duck on the end of the second platform to get the next bird to fly over my head, and then jump to the third and fourth while slashing the football player in mid-air. You could also use spinblade, though I find this way safer.
Sometimes it feels like the game expects you to exploit spawn points which feels rather meta and out of place, yet at the same time inevitable given that you're at a massive disadvantage if you don't. It rubs me the wrong way because you don't get the feeling the game is designed around exploiting spawns to begin with, but everyone who keeps playing the game does once they stop letting the spawns exploit them.

All of the subweapons manage to be useful in some way. The baby shuriken can hit targets from long distances with a cheaper ninpou cost, the boomerang shuriken can be used to dice everything in front and from your back if you know how to use it, the flame jutsu is excellent for turning birds and the ST3 boss into cooked meat, and the spinblade makes jumping to platforms with enemies on them much easier at the cost of sucking up your ninpou like mad.

The spinblade also practically insta-kills bosses since it deals damage every frame, which is why they're intentionally never placed near boss rooms. Even so, maintaining enough ninpou and not accidentally picking up other weapons is enough of a challenge to balance out the spinblade's ridiculous damage output, as most of the bosses aren't that hard to begin with if you know the right strategy. If you want to use the regular slash while in mid-air with the spinblade equipped, you need to press Down+B in order to slash cancel, though doing so cancels out horizontal momentum and is rather tricky to input.

Most of the bosses here aren't really worth talking about aside from Jaquio, who I brutally loathe but also appreciate at the same time as one of the best bosses on the platform. It's just a flying dorito throwing two fireballs at you, but these fireballs are semi-tracking curveballs which require some good foresight to anticipate and avoid, as you need to jump on top of the platforms to get a stab at its eye, though it hurts harder if you get rammed by him than if you get burned. Sometimes you can stand in-between them, sometimes you can sidestep them entirely. Newcomers will get brutally decimated here, but after enough tries, you develop a seventh sense just for this guy to get a feeling for his attacks in a way which can not be put into words.

You can't really cheese Jaquio in any way unless you're going for some speedrun strat, since your spinblade will be taken away from you in this fight. It's purely about anticipation and improvisation, which is what makes it so good. Though the rebounding flames can piss the fuck right off. If they rebound once to get me from beneath because I stood at a pillar at the time, sure, but if they keep persisting afterwards while I have to deal with the other incoming fireballs it's just trolling on the developer's part.

The fight against your dad at least has some kind of emotional value to it where you're trying to stay away from him as much as possible while one of the best tracks in the game plays in the background. It's barely challenging at all once you realize the trick involved. The demon fight is alright I suppose, though the sequence for the spark trajectories seems to be fixed and is otherwise more about paying attention for any sparks which might be heading your way while you're slashing the boss without really looking at him. The detached demon's head doing inevitable damage is just stupid.

Frustratingly, dying at any of the three final bosses throws you back to 6-1 instead of at the previous scene, probably to prevent people playing with continues to have an easy win. Otherwise it's pure sadism at display because you don't even get a health refill once you do make it all the way back to the final boss. For some reason you only get one after each cutscene, regardless of whether it makes sense. I get a full health refill at the start 4-2, just because? Thanks, I guess.

Ninja Gaiden is also one of the first games to feature cutscenes which are very well done, especially for a NES game... because you can skip them with no fuss. Just press START and you're off. A fucking NES game manages to do what many modern games can't -- skipping the fat. I'm truly amazed.

Ninja Gaiden is the kind of game which feels like total anal annihilation at first, but then you figure out some routes and solutions to some of the tricky situations you are faced with, after which it becomes a challenge of maintaining a level head and not panicking once you deviate from your route. The challenge is largely real, and I'll be damned if you don't walk away feeling like a ninja after having cleared the game.

No Great Name

Arcane
Going to start playing STALKER: Call of Chernobyl soon. Is there anything in particular I should know about before starting?

baturinsky

Arcane
Going to start playing STALKER: Call of Chernobyl soon. Is there anything in particular I should know about before starting?
It's very easy to cut yourself from the good ending if you skip certain optional quest in the middle of the game or let specific character be killed. So, read on it.

laclongquan

Arcane
UFO Aftermath, currently at stage researching for biomass repulsor.

It can be a pretty great game of post apocalypse, if only for the lack of diversity among hostiles (transcengant species and grays) which is fixed in Aftershock (more enemies with variety of weapons) and Afterlight (even more enemies). Destructible terrains, ie we can blast and level a few small things like cars and street stands but not the big houses. it also play a great factor in tactics, as sometimes you choose to blow it to make for large avenue, or keep it to limit giant hostiles.

You get recruits every once in a while, and also can autolevel based on your level average. Still, the biggest gripes I have with these is the lack of diversity. Ie everyone look not very disctinctive. There's no mods to patch new faces in, whcih is not helping. You can diverse your recruits builds based on your preferred tactics: sniper, machine guns, rifles, grenades, even handguns if you can fight up close. Late game get you psy weapons which can be pretty powerful if your recruit Psipower at Excellent to Heroic, but not insta-win, because depend on terrains a straight up fight might be better/faster.

Weapons are pretty varied, tactically.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Right now: Baldur's Gate, Brogue and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I recently discovered ASCII Rogue-like games, and I'm obsessed with Brogue. I also play DGSS for the character development.

Last edited:

the_shadow

Arcane
Got Clive Barker's Undying dirt cheap on GoG, and it's pretty good as far as FPS go, which is saying something considering they are a dime a dozen these days. There is a good mix of weapons and spells, the combat is hard without being cheap, the story is engaging and the atmosphere is excellent. My only complaint would be the linearity, but eh, it's a FPS.

Morkar Left

Unfortunately I have a very limited time in the holidays. Played Star Trader Frontiers so far. Just a cool game. ELEX is waiting as well (ELEX!). But RoA: Blade of Destiny HD is still not finished and I decided it's what I want to play first. 3D Models are horrible but everything else is pretty playable. I have a lot of mods which turns the game all in all a lot more difficult than the original one. Combat is harder and so far I'm always short on cash. I really have to plan how to advance further.

circ

Arcane
been playing Drakensang 1 again over this xmas.

OH GOD THE PISS FILTER

Graphically it's otherwise not too shabby. And it's like Oblivion with mods, without the retarded stuff. And better design in dungeons. But the dialogue is so fucking inane.

Still. Why couldn't Blackguards take some core gameplay lessons from Drakensang? No sneaks, not really. Really imited skills and spells eeeetc.

edit: oh. How can a third person 3d game post 2005 not have vsync? the tearing it's all over the place.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Medieval 2 Total War w/ Grand Campaign mod (faction: Wales) and Serpent in the Stagland (left the bitch with good memories).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom