Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Because Beth pays people to suck its dick. They are as bad as EA, and their fanbase is too blind to see it.
Daily reminder they are the ones who came up with Horse Armor DLC first, which is the sort of shit you see everywhere now a days.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait until you come across the boy that was locked in his families fridge for 200 years, waiting for someone to come by and save him.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm playing Dark Souls 3 again, I always seem to go back to it. Also, playing PoE in anticipation of Deadfire.

Perkel

Arcane
Played Monster Hunter World Beta on PS4 past 4-5 days. It is coming also to PC but later than january 26.
I don't remember any demo that made me play same 3 short missions about 20 hours total with friends.

ylekgew39j301.jpg

sva327eewc301.jpg

rqVpuFt.jpg

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
[This is where there's supposed to be a screenshot of the defeated remains of the Alien Heart in Contra (NES), however after taking the screenshot I went to take a dump and when I came back I found that Windows 10 was performing its inevitable 'scheduled maintenance', automatically resetting my PC before I got a chance to save my screenshot anywhere. Let this be an example to not be a lazy fuck like me. Downgrade to Windows 7 or install Linux as soon as you can.]

SUCK MY CUM-TIPPED HUMAN COCK, YOU ALIEN BASTERDS.

Despite its reputation of turning wussies into men and being one of the tuffest games of all time, a nitwit in the genre like me found Contra (NES) to be surprisingly doable, almost to the point where I was wondering that I was doing something wrong and had to look up whether there were any changes in difficulty between the US and JP release. Through savestates you can run through the game rather quickly, and the game is fairly liberal with extends. But then you try to do a genuine run, and boy is the recovery anal. The Spreadshot might make many parts of the game a breeze, but then you make a slight mistake and have to get by using that peashooter of yours. One single lost life can cause a death spiral unless you recover and find another weapon quickly. I guess that makes the generous life extends more understandable. With some perseverance you can get that 1cc, and you might even go directly after a 2-ALL since the second loop doesn't up the difficulty all that much (I game over'd at the final boss of the second loop after the clearing the first loop for the first time, anyways).

The Spreadshot is clearly the go-to weapon of the game (some weirdos prefer Laser) given its ridiculous damage output from close up and hueg range capable of shredding zakos anywhere on the screen, it's almost too OP to the point of straight up invalidating some boss fights through its existence alone. ST2, ST4, ST5 and ST7 bosses being major leagues easier with the SS come to mind. I feel going for a 1lc here is dubious given that it's in some way easy mode since recovery is the toughest part of the game. Gradius had rank in place to make life hell for perfectionists, though Contra doesn't seem to have any kind of rank system or dynamic difficulty outside loops.

The RNG here in place isn't the 'fuck you over unpredictably with difficulty spikes' kind, but more of the 'keep you on your toes' kind. Zakos will swarm from the left or right side of the screen, demanding constant attention and improvisation given that they can make the other present obstacles in your path a thousand times more threatening when you're shooting some turret emplacement on your belly and some grunt decides to run in from the left. What's worse is that they're learning. On top of running and jumping, around ST5 they'll have figured out how to shoot their guns, and by ST6 they'll also have learned the usefulness of shooting while prone. Even if you're given a free pass for one area, the game lasts long enough that you're bound to be put in a tight spot by them eventually.

What's nice about the randomly spawning zakos is that they keep you on the move. They won't stop spawning any time soon, so there's no point in playing it safe by killing every single one of them before moving on when their presence will be an universal constant. And they come from pretty much everywhere on top of jumping about randomly, so there's very few safe spots to speak of. So press onwards, brave soldier. Now that's intensity.

The base stages are just boring, eventually you get a pattern down and you're going through the motions given that the presence of RNG here is minor. Unless you lose your spreadshot, which forces you to move pixel by pixel on your stomach given the ridiculous amount of fire sent your way. The barriers in ST7 would have been interesting had they not been such a massive strain on your trigger finger and if some kind of zako or trap would try kill you while you're trying to break the barrier down, which happens in some instances but not often enough.

At first I believed that the Flare did not deserve to exist, though it's trajectory did save my hide in a very few situations, so I'll let it slide despite being terminally useless for the most part.

But it's a testament to the quality of the game that it manages to hold up even after all these years, and that it's so manly that it accelerated my beard growth (that's the kind of effect Contra has on passing time). Hats off to the CONTRA NES TEAM.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Bought SNES classic mini.

Which one should I play first of these:
-Final Fantasy 3
-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars?

It probably had some other jrpgs, but these are ones that I recognized.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

-Final Fantasy 3

There are two SNES JRPGs worth playing: Final Fantasy 2/IV and Final Fantasy 3/VI. Only one of those is included with the SNES classic mini.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

-Final Fantasy 3

Play Final Fantasy 6 (3).
I actually had Final Fantasy 6 on my Steam wishlist.
Don't like how new "improved" version looks like, so I've been holding off buying it.

Nice to know that I don't have to waste money on that.

PorkBarrellGuy

-Final Fantasy 3

There are two SNES JRPGs worth playing: Final Fantasy 2/IV and Final Fantasy 3/VI. Only one of those is included with the SNES classic mini.
Chrono Trigger and SMRPG are both good. 7th Saga isn't terrible. Breath of Fire was passable, BoF2 had a terrible English translation and was full of goofy shit because of that. Inindo was kind of shit but I played it to death anyway. Ogre Battle is alright, tedious in spots.

I don't know why you'd buy those miniconsoles though when there are better options.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Bought three games this week.

Battlefront 2 (the original) - Unimpressed. Refunding.
Day of Infamy - Movement feels sluggish and bad. Refunding.
Grim Dawn - It's okay so far. I think I made a mistake picking the normal difficulty. I can't change it now.

PorkBarrellGuy

Grim Dawn - It's okay so far. I think I made a mistake picking the normal difficulty. I can't change it now.

Veteran pretty much just adds more hero/boss mobs and otherwise doesn't affect difficulty. Most people find it makes more sense to run Normal simply because it's FASTER than Veteran for getting to the Elite and Ultimate difficulty levels, where you can actually start to feel some real challenge. In any event it's not really enough of a difference to matter much (might be SLIGHTLY better loot, XP and faction gain in Veteran but hardly enough to matter).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't have much left of Okami. Maybe 10 hours or so. I'm going to complete the game and then go back and mop up the remaining achievements.

Gothic 3 is done. I'm going to try to beat White March 1 & 2, as I have never played them. I already reached the last chapter. I just powered through the game to get here.

I'm also playing a ton of other games in tandem.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Right now I'm playing D:OS 2 and cleaning my backlog with Far Cry 4, the Far Cry series after Ubisoft took over suffer of one of the worst cases of "Man this could be so great, it is a pity that it isn't.". I have no doubt that Ubisoft has really talented artists, sound designers, writers and gameplay designers, it is just a pity that the management has other priorities than actually to make a truly great game.

Of all things wrong with this game, the shooting model take the top of the list, the weapons have almost no recoil and the weapons shoot with pin point accuracy, both yours as the enemy. This actually is old news, everybody knows that console shooters can't hold a candle to PC exclusive ones because the inferior controlling method of consoles means the necessity of a simpler shooting model and slower movement speeds, however, this is made even worse by Far Cry open enviroments.

Far Cry 4 has a system where the closer you get to the Ai, the higher is the DPS it can deliver, it is a standard system on shooters with hitscan weapons as it isn't fun to be one shot killed from the other side of the map by any random mook, the problem is that this doesn't apply to you, your basic SMGs and rifles have obscene precision and damage. So, the end result is that any competent FPS player can mow down enemies before they can react, I was killed more times by wild life attacking me by surprise and falls than I did by enemy fire.

The designers could have, in part, compensate this by just overwhelming the player with numbers and attacks from multiple directions but the game refuses to escalate the fights, I dunno if it is because it would be ridiculous to kill an entire battalion or because of an engine limitation but boy, you really need to be incompetent or like me, don't giving much of a fuck about what is happening anyway to actually die.

So why I keep playing this game? Because of what I just said, the art, the sound design, the writing, the lore and world design of Not-Nepal or as the game calls it, Kyrat, is pretty entertaining and you see the potential in it. There is something fun of shooting the driver of an enemy pickup, stealing it, then turn around to be throw in the air still inside the vehicle by an angry rhino or just walk around and see little ambient storytelling moments like an executed family inside their house that refused to grow poppy to produce heroin or just walk around on the forests and see wolves running after deers or two bears fighting for domination then just find a huge southeast asian looking statue... it is fun when you aren't walking on huge but empty sections of the map.

There is a huge potential to truly fun emergent gameplay as it is truly fun on the rare occasion it happens but the game lacks the systems and content to properly support it and as the Ubisoft overlords need to produce a game like this every year to make shareholders happy, this won't change any time soon. Buy it at 75% off like I did, this is the price that Ubisoft low effort truly deserves.

circ

Arcane
Reinstalled Blackguards 1, which I never finished, well probably still not gonna finish it. It's pretty nice if devoid of content. Pointless cities and towns, merchants with cloned inventories and limited item selection, pretty basic class building. Combat's eh ok though, although the environmental tactical gimmick disappears the second it appears because cover doesn't exist. Think the otherwise shitty WL2 atleast did cover well, or better anyway. I don't think I've seen a single Dark Eye based game with an involved class system.

Anyway it starts boring me around chapter 3. I make a character, do some side quests in chap 3 and remake as something else. There really isn't much to explore though in terms of world or builds so you get bored. And dual wielding is so completely pointless I don't know why it's even in the game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I just finished Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider,if you liked the first game you will like these ones if not,it will not change your mind.Dishonored 2 is mostly the same as the first gameplay wise with better graphics,2 protagonists you can choose from and a plot that manages to be more bland than the first one's,couldn't they create a new villain but had to reuse the one from the Daud DLCs ?At least it has a couple of really great levels(the two mansions).Death of the Outsider is more of the same with a few differences and seem to complete the story of the whole Dishonored universe.Like I said if you liked the first Dishonored and its dlcs get these ones too.Oh I know it had some performance problems when it laucnhed but it run smoothly for me at Very High so no problems there.

Now off to play Evil Within,Pathfinder Adventures and Superhot for the holidays

Krivol

Magister
Oh fuck it! I tried to play +/- 20 games last month (like Il Sturmovnik 46, Necrovision, Boredlands, Mortal Kombat X, Legend of Grimrock 1&2, ID EE, Wasteland 2, Shogun TW 2, Brutal Legend and many others), I also tried to get back to Witcher 3 (never finished it, never get past 10 hours of gameplay) and ended playing Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 again. I'm just not into a new experience

:negative:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I just finished Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider,if you liked the first game you will like these ones if not,it will not change your mind.Dishonored 2.
I liked Dishonored 1 and its DLC but was really disappointed by Dishonored 2, they didn't fix any of the big problems the game had and were really testing my patience at the end of the DLCs.

Things like being almost guaranteed to be spotted every time you were on a blind corner on a new area with the obligatory convenient stealth highways spread through the levels or how a stealth playstyle being actually harder than just blasting enemies to pieces or the combat not being satisfying as the enemies just can't even pretend they can fight you. After a whole game of that bullshit, I wasn't into doing all of that again, gimmicky levels and rehashed ideas weren't enough and with the plot being a shit cake, I couldn't take it.

Is Death of the Outsider better?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Not,really most of the same stuff with a couple of twists,if you didn't like Dishonored 2 I don't think you should try Death of the Outsider

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom