Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How does bullet time works in multiplayer?

Ezekiel

Arcane
How does bullet time works in multiplayer?
The game goes into slow mo every time you shoot dodge with adrenaline. You can cancel bullet time as you're shoot dodging by pressing the shoot dodge button again. I've used this cancel to evade. The other players have slightly slowed aim while you're using bullet time. You can also use bullet time with the bullet time button (the "burst" button, in multiplayer) by selecting the burst in your loadout. But it doesn't work like in single player. Your adrenaline bar needs to be at least green, one third full, to use bullet time.

There are good reasons people don't play the multiplayer, though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just beat up Sarevok and his acolytes in BGT.
Was he invincible in vanilla BG 1 as well, before you kill his four acolytes (Tazok, Angelo, Diarmid and Sajem)?
I seem to recall there were some traps in the mosaic on the floor too.

Anyway, it was one hell of a fight; I had to change my shirt afterwards!

Ivan

Arcane
best level design of the series. first time i've enjoyed ghosting it
3D0535E1F70E98BFFDAF7297D68A7364D3866936

Plisken

Learned
a friend offloaded some PS4 titles onto me, which i haven't played much of simply because I'm rarely at home to use a console.

I tentatively installed far cry primal, knowing full well i was in for typical ubishit affair.... 3 days later, I'm pleasantly surprised. Apparently they released "survivor mode" for free at some point, which is the only version of the game I have played. It turns off the minimap, and disables a lot of the ridiculously overkill skills and features, while adding a basic stamina system. Essentially a in-house "hardcore mod". There was also the option for permadeath, but you will die often enough and I really dont have the wherewithal to suffer through ubisoft cutscenes over and over again, so nix on that.

It's certainly not a great game, but it's a fun little time-waster and somewhat challenging. Stealth mechanics are surprisingly rewarding. Although its no great compliment, it is the best far cry title.

circ

Arcane
StarCrawlers

I wonder if reviewers have actually played it past 3 maps or something, if they had I don't think they'd be praising it at all. Anyway, it's also supposedly an RPG, but no not really. No stats, just a bunch of skills you pick at level ups. So about as RPG as Age of Empires or something. Most of the skill's descriptions don't make any sense either, and although the descriptions vary, alot are just clones of each other effectively. Pretty quickly you notice also that all the maps are pretty much the same, along with the missions. And there's absolutely nothing interesting about any of the maps, no details, loot is all-round crap, and it's so choc full of trash mobs holy shit.

Ivan

Arcane
Dishonored 2 + DLC

The DLC took me around 11 hours and adds two great powers to the series, a scouting power and a doppelganger power that creates some pretty great moments. You can pass by assuming someone's identity, a la Hitman, or you can perform unique actions based on the NPC's identity you take.

Thoughts on the campaign, game levels are gorgeous and well thought out. Each one is very unique and a joy to explore. Combat is still meh and guards are much more alert to you, a plus in my book. I still don't like how gamey the upgrades are, magically pay 100 coins to sneak more quietly.

Anyway, full thoughts later. Here's a screen of my favorite moment in the entire series, provided by the game's DLC.

BBE81C41523C3B35223B816CDDDECDF1433C47EB

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Killing Floor 2. It's pretty playable now, actually don't feel like going back to KF1 like I did in Early Access.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Killing Floor 2. It's pretty playable now, actually don't feel like going back to KF1 like I did in Early Access.
How's perf? It used to drag several months into the release.
Aah, not great in some maps especially. I don't have a good game rig anymore (like 3 years old at this point), but games still mostly run well. Here I'm hovering around 40-50 fps, in some maps dropping hard to around 30. (and that's after I reduced settings somewhat after the end of Early Access)

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I've wasted three hours on Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and I'm still in the tutorial because the game keeps crashing every time I try to go through a trapdoor. I've tried at least half-a-dozen different tricks that are supposed to fix it, but no luck so far.

I know they only published the thing, but what the fuck is it about Bethesda games and ladders?

Valtiel

Scholar
I decided to go with NWN2 OC for the first time, damn at 1080p the ui is small! I'm very pleased with all the character creation stuff, i've made a Drow - Pale Master. For the first 2-3 hours the hook is pretty generic, hope it gets better. Does MoTB pick up from the end of OC or do you need to create another char?

v1rus

Arcane
For the first 2-3 hours the hook is pretty generic, hope it gets better.

:mca:

Not really, no. I, personally, managed to to endure the whole campaign, and was quite pleased with myself - there is tons of interesting stuff hidden below the gigantic junkyard NWN2 OC is. Most ppl tho prefer to jump straight into MotB - and ye, you transfer your main character, the game is set right after the OC. Mind you, playing the OC to enjoy MotB isnt needed, at all, but I was sure glad to do it, since MotB has couple of interesting things to say about the main game.

So, tl;dr - no, it doesnt get better, and if you arent of patient kind/dont have much free time, skip OC, go straight into MotB. And thats coming from one of NWN2 OC biggest apologists.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I decided to go with NWN2 OC for the first time, damn at 1080p the ui is small! I'm very pleased with all the character creation stuff, i've made a Drow - Pale Master. For the first 2-3 hours the hook is pretty generic, hope it gets better. Does MoTB pick up from the end of OC or do you need to create another char?
The story of the OC is the worst kind of generic fantasy straight from a bad GM, it doesn't improve, cut your loses and go straight to the expansions, they are MUCH, MUCH better.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Trying to play Grim Dawn after the expansion, Grim Dawn causes me frustration and it is really fun at the same time, the whole lore thing is just fun, the expansion adds a huge swamp area, usually I find swamp areas really awful on RPGs but when there are desperate people fleeing the invasion of two Cthulhu armies and end up possessed by swamp spirits that turn them mad and cannibalistic and you have cool witches with cauldrons and stuff with ominous forests filled with ominous trees with roots that try to kill you if you get too close, it is just entertaining stuff.

The character system is really complex, allowing for a big variety of builds, something those Diablo II clones are really good at, the big problem is the big cargo cult from Diablo II, can't those games try something different, you know? Like not forcing you to play the same game three times with the SAME character before seeing the sweet loot? Even if you are super fast, you will end a difficulty on 6 hours, that means 18 hours to reach the end of the last difficult and even then, it is a huge grind to reach maximum level, now take all those hours and multiply for dozens of different character builds, this is just insane, this is too much investment for too little return in terms of fun once you finished the game on normal.

I don't see the point too, Diablo 2 had a huge multiplayer component with a community that is alive to this day, something that I don't see Grim Dawn having, while I was a teenager and that was the first time I had that sort of experience on Diablo II, I don't have the same patience nowdays. It is just a way to lengthen the game on an artificial manner.

Trying to play Grim Dawn after the expansion, Grim Dawn causes me frustration and it is really fun at the same time, the whole lore thing is just fun, the expansion adds a huge swamp area, usually I find swamp areas really awful on RPGs but when there are desperate people fleeing the invasion of two Cthulhu armies and end up possessed by swamp spirits that turn them mad and cannibalistic and you have cool witches with cauldrons and stuff with ominous forests filled with ominous trees with roots that try to kill you if you get too close, it is just entertaining stuff.

The character system is really complex, allowing for a big variety of builds, something those Diablo II clones are really good at, the big problem is the big cargo cult from Diablo II, can't those games try something different, you know? Like not forcing you to play the same game three times with the SAME character before seeing the sweet loot? Even if you are super fast, you will end a difficulty on 6 hours, that means 18 hours to reach the end of the last difficult and even then, it is a huge grind to reach maximum level, now take all those hours and multiply for dozens of different character builds, this is just insane, this is too much investment for too little return in terms of fun once you finished the game on normal.

I don't see the point too, Diablo 2 had a huge multiplayer component with a community that is alive to this day, something that I don't see Grim Dawn having, while I was a teenager and that was the first time I had that sort of experience on Diablo II, I don't have the same patience nowdays. It is just a way to lengthen the game on an artificial manner.

You are a rat in a maze, complaining about the texture of your cheese. Get out of the Skinner Box!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's a gameending bug three quarters into the game (on the boat). You will have to acquire a save to bypass it.

If you mean the lights not appearing in the cannon zoom, that's not true. You just need to find a guide on the internet that gives you pixel-perfect coordinates where to shoot.

Valtiel

Scholar
For the first 2-3 hours the hook is pretty generic, hope it gets better.

:mca:

Not really, no. I, personally, managed to to endure the whole campaign, and was quite pleased with myself - there is tons of interesting stuff hidden below the gigantic junkyard NWN2 OC is. Most ppl tho prefer to jump straight into MotB - and ye, you transfer your main character, the game is set right after the OC. Mind you, playing the OC to enjoy MotB isnt needed, at all, but I was sure glad to do it, since MotB has couple of interesting things to say about the main game.

So, tl;dr - no, it doesnt get better, and if you arent of patient kind/dont have much free time, skip OC, go straight into MotB. And thats coming from one of NWN2 OC biggest apologists.

Gee, I don't know if i can endure 60 hours of that...I don't exactly have much time but for historical reason I would have liked to complete the oc at least (i've also got NWN1 on gog but that one I decided to skip). Is there any kind of reactivity from playing MotB importing character from OC? Any choices mentioned? Also, at what level do MotB begins?

Edit: I kinda answered it by myself googling it, maybe i'll try to continue OC as long as i can, reason being I would like to see my char grow from peasant to epic level.

Last edited:

the_shadow

Arcane
I've wasted three hours on Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and I'm still in the tutorial because the game keeps crashing every time I try to go through a trapdoor. I've tried at least half-a-dozen different tricks that are supposed to fix it, but no luck so far.

I know they only published the thing, but what the fuck is it about Bethesda games and ladders?

That game is littered with game-breaking bugs. This trick helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjmJB34mT5w

the_shadow

Arcane
The unofficial patch worked fine for me on Windows 64, and I'd say that it's essential to complete the game, although it still doesn't fix every bug.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You are a rat in a maze, complaining about the texture of your cheese. Get out of the Skinner Box!
With those games, I always get to the entrance of the maze, walk around a little but then come to my little rat senses an realize that even masturbation is more productive than grinding for virtual items and quickly get the fuck out of there before the autism kills me.

spekkio

Arcane
Completed two games recently:

Ys - Oath in Felghana (PC)

Good: :)
- Ys from series' best period (6, Felghana, Origin),
- Fantastic gameplay, precise controls, extremely fun to play,
- Beautiful, clear 3D graphics,
- No bullshit like minigames and shit.

Ugly: :?
- Damage is bound to Adol's stats, so when you hit enemies for 0 / get one-shot, there's not much you can do except do some grindan; Ys 6 was more forgiving AFAIR,
- Story is nothing to write home about, liked Ys 6's story and characters better.

Bad: :(
- Unavoidable boss attacks (the ones when boss launches special animation) - the fuck?
- Final area is just painful to go through: either your level is high enough, or you die. Skill means shit with over 9000 enemies hitting you at once.
- Didn't like final boss fight as well (jumping part first, then the table-tennis part where you have to hit back his projectiles while avoiding his veins of doom trying to grab you by the manpussy...).

Verdcit:

:4/5:

Call me weird, but I liked Ys 6 more.

Lost Vikings 2 (SNES)

Good: :)

- Fantastic mix of puzzles and action,
- Great 2D graphics,
- Clever stage design,
- Some funny banter.

Ugly: :?

- In some mission you can screw up by moving "too far" with some character - the only solution is to restart the whole mission. Too bad, because in most missions there are no "dead ends" and you can move around the map freely all the time.
- Two new characters don't add that much to the skill pool (hitter + wall crawler, shooter + flyer). Yawn.

Bad: :(
- There's one late mission (#2 in last world) which requires a GODOWFUL amount of constant backtracking and moving characters around the map. Was ready to ragequit if this shit repeated, luckily it didn't.

Verdict:

:4/5:

They don't make them like this anymore, plus making puzzle games in 3D (Portal, etc) is another beast totally (good luck not screwing up characters' movement and range making "physics" puzzles in 3 dimensions).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom