Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

McPlusle

Savant
isn't sigma > black?
They're different enough to both be worth playing. Sigma has three extra chapters as Rachel and the original chapters have all been subtly modified: encounters and item placements are different, etc.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I'm going on a self-appointed Starcraft: Brood War challenge - beat as many AI allied against you as possible using a non-Terran race (Terrans arguably have the easiest time doing so, with Siege Tanks decimating AI units and having overall the most cost-effective units with minimum micro (against the AI's simple attacks), on a "non-money" map (as in, not Big Game Hunters or similar map that lets you turtle in one base forever). Recently I defeated 5 AIs with both Protoss and Zerg:

itbiutp.png

It's not exactly the most representative of Starcraft experiences, as for both Protoss and Zerg the approach basically relies on blocking the choke point with buildings in such a way that the Protoss AI can't reach your Sunken Colonies with Zealots; Marines die to Sunken Colonies / Photon Cannons. (Terrans have the advantage of being able to lift off with their buildings, but with Zerg and Protoss, you are stuck inside your first base for quite a while without Shuttles or destroying your wall when necessary). Then, you tech to fast Dark Templars or Lurkers, send them to enemies post-haste, and your aim is to destroy their Command Centers / Nexi, and prevent peons from rebuilding. Your invisible units must take out 2-3 AIs at least; then, you get your late tech and finish off the map with Carriers or massive Zergling drops under Dark Swarm. You move out to expand by either just making mass cannons and taking out Tanks with your remaining Dark Templar, or in case of Zerg, by moving out with a massive Hydra / Lurker force.

In my 1v5 games I deliberately avoided letting the computer play Zerg because 1) if the Zerg AI goes early pool and rushes you with zerglings, it kinda breaks the challenge and 2) the Zerg AI had the tendency to "hang up" sometimes, stopping any development and offense past a certain minute mark, not expanding or doing anything at all. I decided to move up to 1v7, full random, and I actually underestimated the Zerg AI: it adds Overlords to its mass Hydra attacks, which makes them actually deadly to Lurkers and Sunkens alike, and the Zerg AI is also notoriously hard to destroy with Lurkers alone due to ubiquitous detection, unless I send a critical mass of Lurkers their way immediately (around 4-5, to one-shot any Hydras and decimate their Drones in one fell swoop; it's very unaffordable, as you can imagine). The best approach I can think of is to try and destroy Protoss and Terrans ASAP and turtle it out against the Zerg while destroying their mineral lines.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Well it is time to tackle angel of darkness,a game that put the tomb raider series into darkness.

Gog versions is the game patched to v52 which still doesn't mean anything since it is buggy,but it is better then vanilla.

And here are some fixes:
-Text cleanup.Fixes up some weird text choices and grammatical errors that happened because the game development was rushed.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=7225157#post7225157
Here are some screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/DKvgS
-Hd graphics
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=204174
You need textmod for this mod.
Here is a video showing the graphics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtpBWu-BKXs
-Better fmv are not recommended because they either create some weird green line or just don't really function well with the gog relase audio.
-Here is another graphic patch fixing small graphical errors:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=215413
You need to download each fix separately which is annoying

Use either this or the hd patch since their compatibility is buggy.

Also here is webpage containing the main fix you need:The control fix.The site also has some mods that restore some areas in game:
https://sites.google.com/site/tombraideraoddecompiling/modifications/executable-mods/fixed-controls

I think this is all somebody needs if he wishes to play this game in a somewhat better state.

Last edited:

Quigs

Magister
Currently I'm playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Now this is how it is done. Although the verb interface is still in, but it is more comfortable to use. The music is great, decent voiceacting, decent soundeffects, nice pixelart, and an interesting story. Continuing to play it.

The three path thing is pretty neat. Never beat it though. Let us know how it holds up.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Done with Geneforge thought I'd go for the rest of the series but I'm done for now.
Playing gmdx Deus Ex now searched around the forum and seems like a good mod gonna try it, it's been more than 7 years since I last touched this game, at first I was like "It's a nice stealth game I guess" but then chuices and lore and skills and shiet and the synth kicks in.
:yeah:

McPlusle

Savant
Too bad the platforming is godawful and there's a surprising (disheartening) amount of it.
why I dropped it
I'm on the verge of dropping it since the chapter 13 boss is the literal definition of artificial difficulty (near-unavoidable throws that take more than half your live, unblockable homing fireballs that are so fast they might as well be hitscan, and the flying swallow's chance of working is literally random)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have never played any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. Decided to start Shadow of Chernobyl. Spent an hour figuring out which mods could be possibly interesting for me. Had to fiddle some more, because of GOG version, because at first, the game just booted up in vanilla version mode. Let's do this!

I'm only playing this when I have had too much awesomeness of ELEX.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Because I am that guy who likes to play every game in order in a series.

What the fuck were they thinking?

McPlusle

Savant
Ninja Gaiden Black in on hiatus. I, for lack of better phrasing, lost an Xbone controller to Awakened Alma. Instead, I decided to return to the original Devil May Cry, which I still haven't finished after all these years. I'm near the end and to be honest it's overall the best action-adventure game of its type. It doesn't have the insanely deep combat of Ninja Gaiden but it's an infinitely more consistent and well-paced game as a whole. As a plus, the platforming, while still not great, is at least functional. And I love all the really clear Resident Evil roots that DMC1 has that went away in the sequels.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can't beat the first 3 minions on Arkham Asylum :negative:
On the harder difficulty, the counter prompts are disabled, you just need to avoid be surrounded and only smash the left button if there are no other thugs around your target. Just don't stay on the same spot for long, it is useless to try to time the attacks to counter with all the mess that is happening all at same time.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Tomb Raper Raider(2013) and enjoyed my time with it.I am not a fan of the Tomb Raider series,I played the first two games 20 years ago but I haven't played any of the others,I just bought that one during a steam sale for 5 euros some time ago and decided to finally play it.It is a nice action game with the disadvantages of all modern games(QTEs etc)but I liked it as a whole,I assume most fans of the series didn't like since it resembles a modern action game more than a classic TR but as a non-fan I like it.It looks great for a 2013 game too.

Final Status Update on...

Ever Oasis (3DS-2017)

Story in Conclusion (no major spoilers)

My presumption from my previous post that I was nearing the end of this game's journey was right on the mark, as that Temple of Trials is the last major dungeon required to explore before reaching the conclusion.

Finale Impressions

While the story comes to an appropriate close, with even a few side characters from early in your party getting closure, the pacing feels off. The story tries to imbue more urgency (and answers to a certain extent the origins of the main antagonist) but ultimately feels rushed and underdeveloped. Leading up to the final battle never feels as powerful as intended, with the exception being one of the character arcs mentioned above. This character arc, along with the conclusion of the game feels appropriately conclusive and bittersweet but still feels as though it ended too quickly. Another character from earlier in the game is brought up again only to conclude with barely any development. Unfortunately my worries that the story would not build to anything particularly special, despite an overall decent conclusion, were well founded. The plot simply is not the significantly meaningful portion of this game. And speaking of concluding...

Gameplay Finale

While the last dungeon itself poses no significant threat (unfortunately) it is still entertaining to play through, and the final "boss rushes" which consist of the rest of the gameplay more than compensate. The final boss battles at the end of the game (especially the last one) can be, depending on your party experience and composition, some of the most fun in the game. The final battle, while not necessarily too difficult thanks to the revive system, is still a worthy end game challenge.

Besides the boss battles I was perplexed by the seeming lack of new Oasis residents that could be found, leading me to believe they were very well hidden. That is until I discovered upon completion that there is Post Game content.

The post game content in question can only be accessed from a "Clear" save load after completing the main story, which will reload your most recent save before the final boss gauntlet. While I can understand adding extra content for completionist's and to give the game more content as extra "icing on the cake", this ultimately felt needlessly confusing and pointless. I believe this content would have been more appropriate and better suited as being main game content; It would have been more interesting to see a New Game+ feature in which you can restart the game at your current completion character level for faster follow-up playthrough's.

Conclusion

Ever Oasis is a game on the verge of being something truly special, a diamond in the dunes that is unable to reach its true potential. Between the at times tedious and flawed gameplay and otherwise (with a few key moments and some memorable characters being the exception) a story that on occasion pads itself out only to then rush to the conclusion, with a more engaging plot and more fleshed out mechanics and quest objectives could have been a truly exceptional JRPG. However despite these issues Ever Oasis has enough of an identity and charm to make it an entertaining and fairly lengthy (took me nearly 50 hours to complete more than 75% of the content) portable experience. A game that is worth a play for those willing to push through its shortcomings and enjoy the genre smoothie blend within.

Finished Tomb Raper Raider(2013) and enjoyed my time with it.I am not a fan of the Tomb Raider series,I played the first two games 20 years ago but I haven't played any of the others,I just bought that one during a steam sale for 5 euros some time ago and decided to finally play it.It is a nice action game with the disadvantages of all modern games(QTEs etc)but I liked it as a whole,I assume most fans of the series didn't like since it resembles a modern action game more than a classic TR but as a non-fan I like it.It looks great for a 2013 game too.

I have yet to play the original games in the series (or the sequel to the remake for that matter) I still enjoyed this game back when I played it at launch, with the exception of the QTE's and the multiplayer; The multiplayer itself not being so bad (if fairly mediocre) when the servers actually decided to work. Being trapped in a glitched out shadow realm straight out of Silent Hill with another player, only able to hear but not see or interact with other players was the highlight of that glitch and server timeout filled mess.

:salute:
Done with Geneforge thought I'd go for the rest of the series but I'm done for now.
Playing gmdx Deus Ex now searched around the forum and seems like a good mod gonna try it, it's been more than 7 years since I last touched this game, at first I was like "It's a nice stealth game I guess" but then chuices and lore and skills and shiet and the synth kicks in.
:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom